• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

plasma - second opinion plz

I never donate fully ionized fluids. Someone might get burned.

Well they aren't really paying you for the plasma they are paying you for your time (probably because they want to avoid the ethical problem of people selling parts of their bodies). And 20 bucks for 1 hour is a pretty good god damn deal to me for a procedure that is pretty much risk free. Your body does in fact regenerate plasma and all those machines do is separate the plasma from the rest of your blood. Don't know why you think it is so "degrading" and comparing it to "blowjob money". That makes no sense whatsoever. Plasma donations can help people in need. So pretty much you are getting paid to provide a potentially life saving resource. It's a win win situation.

aescin said:
im just saying you guys are being exploited for thousands of dollars those guys make out of you for merely 20 bucks THATS DEGRADING.

How is this different from work in general?

cyc said:
Do average people seriously not make $20hr in the US?

The average person does. The median individual does not.

ebola

the biggest issue is when the technician misses your vein.

I had this happen to me once. She goes "Oh! Your vein rolled. Ha!" except it wasn't very fucking funny to me, just incredibly painful.

Overall, this is a pretty safe procedure, but they do make you do a lot of legwork to show that you are a citizen, clean bill of health, etc...

i donated plasma for years and never had a problem. worst thing that happened was a phlebotomist fucking up a stick that resulted in a minor hematoma, but it didn't hurt or anything. if you are well hydrated before your visit and make some effort to keep your iron and protein levels up, you'll be fine.

all the parts of the machine that touch your blood are sterile plastic 1-time-use parts that are opened and disposed of in front of your eyes. the machine works in cycles, drawing some whole blood for a few minutes, separating the RBCs from the plasma, then returning your RBCs with an anticoagulant (which gives you an awesome taste in your mouth for some reason btw). as others have said, your body regenerates plasma quickly. you don't lose any RBCs or WBCs in the process, which are the more important parts of your blood.

also, it's a good reason to lay around for an hour reading a book while getting paid.

i tried to do this, but my heart rate is too high? fucking anxiety disorder. that's all right, i don't like the idea of a harpoon in my vein anyway.