• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

plasma - second opinion plz

asecin

Bluelighter
is donating plasma a safe and good idea for some cash ? anyone ever did it with no problems ??

i was reading how its done and its 1 hour proceedure with a machine taking a lot of your blood in and then i dunno wtf is going inside the machine but it only extracts the plasma and returns your blood inside you. seems like a very risky thing to me. how can you accept a blood stripped off w/e nutrients were inside plasma and just have machine rework it back to you ? does anyone have any clue, experience to share opinion on this ? i was suggested the idea by some other bums who cant get any money otherwise so its not like its a lot of choice out there :(

I wouldn't worry about it.

Our bodies naturally generate plasma so any plasma you donate will be replaced. To aid in that process just eat healthy and consume plenty of fluids.

Here is a link that might help.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/303101-the-best-way-to-replace-protein-after-plasma-donation/

After Donation
Step 1

Continue to consume water and fruit juices to maintain proper hydration.
Step 2

Consume a high-protein snack, such as nuts or cheese, after your donation is completed. Within two to three hours of donating plasma, have a healthy meal that contains protein and iron.
Step 3

Avoid alcohol and caffeine for at least four hours after your donation.
Step 4

Avoid heavy exercise and overexertion for the remainder of the day.

Tips and Warnings

A sugar-containing snack and drink may help reduce faintness immediately after the donation ends. However, you should also consume a high-protein food to begin the recovery process.
If you experience dizziness or faintness after the donation, lie down with your feet elevated above your heart or sit with your head between your knees. Consult a doctor or the staff of the plasma donation facility if side effects persist.

Things You'll Need

Protein-rich foods
Snack foods
Water
Fruit juices

thats cool. i was just wondering, is it not risky having a machine circulate your blood for 1 hour or so and then returning it back in you ? thats what i read of donating plasma, some machine gets your blood and just extracts the plasma but returns blood back to you.

I can't imagine the machine churning is an issue. I'm sure it's made to keep your blood at the correct level of cleanliness, temperature and that it doesn't take anything else from you. Granted, I'd rather them just take some of my blood, then I leave, then they do the separation and DON'T put my blood back, but that's probably just me.

I'm sure you can probably request a different way of doing it. Perhaps suggest that they take some blood and they can extract the plasma AND keep the blood for the blood drive?

Donating plasma was my 3rd job in college ;)
Never a problem, very safe. When the machine goes on return, your RBC's get pumped back into you along with an anti-coagulant. Your plasma regenerates itself quickly. Just stay hydrated before and after your appointment and don't drink any alcohol.

yeah last year i've donated plasma like 40 times or more, and i do it occasionally nowadays. never had any problems except once when i got a nasty bruise after my third donation or something (guess she poked me badly^^). it's easy money and you actually contribute to the production of important medicine (or at least i like to believe that^^).
most important things: being healthy, good diet, lots of water. also abstain from nicotine because the blood flows better without it. since i stopped smoking cigs everyday, the procedere is done faster than before. some people react badly to it, some simply have bad veins. you have to try out if you want to know.

the biggest issue is when the technician misses your vein. sometimes it can lead to a lot a bruising on your arm. but other than that, my friend's who sell plasma haven't experienced any long term consequences.

the biggest issue is when the technician misses your vein.

Don't remind me. I hate needles.

I have a "druggie vein" and went to go donate blood one time. The nurse missed my vein. I never gave blood after that. Still have ARC people calling my house every so often.

i still think its not worth the 20 bucks they give you for 1 hour work wasting your time and sucking off your blood like vampires. do you know they make thousands of dollars for the 20 dollars plasma they give you ? thats exploitation of high order.

for some people 20 bucks more a week is really something. i used it to fund going to parties and buying weed (;

and btw, show me the job (for average people) which pays that much for an hour? your argument is kind of one-dimensional...

i still think its not worth the 20 bucks they give you for 1 hour work wasting your time and sucking off your blood like vampires. do you know they make thousands of dollars for the 20 dollars plasma they give you ? thats exploitation of high order.

Well, sure they make thousands of dollars. However, that's probably included in ALL of the plasma they receive, not just yours. They pay $20 a pop (I've heard some places pay you much more) and they don't get a lot of people willing to do it. However, plasma is hard to come by and, just like a rare item in a pawn shop, can be sold at a very high price. Your blood makes its own plasma anyway.

A lot of places are really hurting for plasma, which makes the sell-out price very expensive.

how can you guys settle for shitty 20 dollars for 1 hour a machine sucking your blood like a vampire and spitting it back in you in who knows what condition. just because most of you managed ok doesnt mean there is always the risk and who knows long term consequences. there is no exact study done on how fast new plasma is replenished. you all assume it is but do not know how long it takes and at what cost. im just saying you guys are being exploited for thousands of dollars those guys make out of you for merely 20 bucks THATS DEGRADING. i think there should be some kind of discussion with those guys who need plasma and people should stand up and ask for more money naturally.

If you're so worried about it being a "degrading" thing to do, then why did you make it sound like you wanted to try it?

Also, as I said before, different places probably offer you different dollar amounts.

it was suggested to me by a friend. at first i thought, cool, but then i did research and found out what the procedure involves and it seems shady. then when i heard how many things plasma is useful for and how much money those people make out of our plasma, i was pissed off. its all your fault people cuz you price your body for 20 dollar blowjob worth. seriously, those guys continue to make money, exploit you however they want, feed big pharm our plasma to make expensive drugs that we cant even afford and which have tons of side effects and can/will kill most in most possibility based on history. SO, wtf are you guys doing ? get up your fat asses and research shit before you hurry to get your 20 dollar blowjob worths money. fucking pisses me off

^ if you did some research, then how about sharing what you found out? and in my opinion, many substances which need plasma for production would be impossible to make or much more expensive than they already are. (does anyone have more legit information on this subject?)

also here in middle europe, the standards are very high plus you get checked for blood levels, HIV and Hep regularily. honestly, i don't feel ripped off, because all i do is sitting, having a needle in my vein for 45 minutes, listen to music and then leave with some cash. i think you put (too) much value in the stuff that is produced constantly by your body. do you think donating semen is degrading? btw, your plasma levels are back to normal in at least 2 days...

but, if it is against your moral believes, why do you bother discussing with us? it's not like you made any point, imho. (;

for some people 20 bucks more a week is really something. i used it to fund going to parties and buying weed (;

and btw, show me the job (for average people) which pays that much for an hour? your argument is kind of one-dimensional...

Do average people seriously not make $20hr in the US?

^ I'm making $8.50 an hour. Sucks balls and I can't nab anything better as of right now.

Do average people seriously not make $20hr in the US?
are you serious?

(well i don't know about the US, maybe they get more on average than here (middle europe), but at least we have proper healthcare and social welfare and other neat communist stuff)