• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

phthalimidopropiophenone

Where Wolf?

Bluelighter
Any information on this compound - phthalimidopropiophenone - especially as regards toxicity?

Well, chances are it'll just get hydrolized in the body to cathinone. Though just by looking at it's structure I can make a pretty good bet that it is considered an analog of cathinone. Meh, probably a waste unless you really like cathinone and have no other way of getting it.

Thanks for your replies. Without going into details, it's one of the ingredients - I assume the mildest - in a well-known, pseudo-legal in much of the world party pill...

Is this one of the Neorganics deals? They aren't transparent enough to purchase from, imho.

They're a bit like Iran.

Ham-milton said:
Is this one of the Neorganics deals? They aren't transparent enough to purchase from, imho.

They're a bit like Iran.

Yes, and I know what you mean...Khat derivatives are creepy.

Oh, I dunno. I've had Khat once. I rather liked it. Methcathinone is pretty wonderful, imho, as well. I like it better than meth. Doesn't bring out that horrible asshole side of everyone. A much better party drug, at more reasonable doses.

They just forgot to cleave the phtaloylgroup!No other explanation.

Or left it in place to avoid legal comebacks. As hydrolysing primary amines made using the Gabriel synthesis (via potasdsium phthalimide) generally requires an age of acid hydrolysis via reflux, I have a few misgivings about it's conversion to cathinone in vivo (in a lab, the amine is released by refluxing with hydrazine, which effectively replaces the amine group to form a 6 membered ring. Oh & btw, hydrazine is a fuck-off toxic, rocket fuel, so unless you know what you're doing, don't even think about it)

Several phthalimido compounds have been made, of note is a GABA-phthalimido drug developed for the treatment of epilepsy. Vecktor has indicated cleavage is a two stage process involving pyramidinases.

fastandbulbous said:
Or left it in place to avoid legal comebacks. As hydrolysing primary amines made using the Gabriel synthesis (via potasdsium phthalimide) generally requires an age of acid hydrolysis via reflux, I have a few misgivings about it's conversion to cathinone in vivo (in a lab, the amine is released by refluxing with hydrazine, which effectively replaces the amine group to form a 6 membered ring. Oh & btw, hydrazine is a fuck-off toxic, rocket fuel, so unless you know what you're doing, don't even think about it)

Why use hydrazine? Base hydrolysis (NaOH would suffice.

phase_dancer said:
Several phthalimido compounds have been made, of note is a GABA-phthalimido drug developed for the treatment of epilepsy. Vecktor has indicated cleavage is a two stage process involving pyramidinases.

Whats the GABA-phthalimido drug called? If a phthalimido prodrug compound has been developed by a big pharmaceutical company for medical use then the toxicity issues can't be too bad....and if it works for GABA and cathinone, then this may well be a viable prodrug formulation for many drugs that have a free NH2 group.

Would put it outside the law in most jurisdictions as well, its a big enough change in the structure that the prosecution would be hard pressed to say it was still "substantially similar", and I'm not aware of any controlled substance analogue statutes that deal with prodrugs, it would be difficult to word a law that didn't also cover medicines that make illicit drugs as metabolites (i.e. deprenyl which forms methamphetamine by cleavage of the N-propynyl group)

Strikes me that maybe this is kind of like GBL, everyone used to turn it into GHB using chemicals until someone figured out that your bodies lactamase enzymes can do it themselves so you can just drink the GBL as is...in a similar way, the phthalimide is normally a protecting group in an intermediate step, but if your stomach enzymes can cleave it themselves then why not just use the phthalimide congener as the final product...

mad_scientist said:
Would put it outside the law in most jurisdictions as well, its a big enough change in the structure that the prosecution would be hard pressed to say it was still "substantially similar", and I'm not aware of any controlled substance analogue statutes that deal with prodrugs...

In this case the prosecution would not be pressed to say anything at all about analogs. If you were in possession of the phthalimide derivative of a controlled amine they would simply bust you on a conspiracy to manufacture charge.

Last edited:
retired_chemist said:
In this case the prosecution would not be pressed to say anything at all about analogs. If you were in possession of the phthalimide derivative of a controlled amine they would simply bust you on a conspiracy to manufacture charge.

Hard to do if you have pressed tabs.

Yeah I guess the prosecution could say that possession of a prodrug of a controlled drug in a form intended for consumption (i.e. pressed pills) amounts to conspiracy to manufacture that controlled drug, using your own liver enzymes as the manufacturing equipment.

Can't see that argument working in many jurisdictions, but in the USA I could definitely see a court upholding it...

Would be an interesting outcome as it would make prodrugs effectively more illegal than the controlled drug itself - consuming a prodrug would automatically be deemed an offence of manufacturing that controlled drug rather than merely using it, which of course is a more serious offence!

Whats the GABA-phthalimido drug called?

There were severel. GABA-phthalimide, 4–Amino-N-(2,6-Dimethylphenyl)Phthalimide and other N-Phthaloyl GABA derivatives.

A hypolipidemic agent o-(N- phthalimido)acetophenone was researched some years ago but I'm not sure whether that ever made it to human clinical trials. Then of course there's α-phthalimido-glutarimide (thalidomide)

So you could get arrested for something in your stomach digesting?
So does it work on GABA receptors?
I know this drug has been used alot in products around the globe in recent time

a. maybe, but doubtful.

2. phthalimidopropiophenone? None, it's a DARI.

*. Yep.

who named this one?
the people behind "flephedrone"?

ebola