• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Phenobarbital as benzodiazepine substitute?

It's actually perfectly idea. Non-euphorigenic, long half life, makes withdrawal easy.

@Hammilton: Thx very much! That was exactly what I wanted to hear ;)

But there is one question remaining that I need to know:

How long could I approximately take Phenobarbital instead of Diazepam without getting (physically) addicted to it?

And what doses of Pheno. would you recommand?

There is some amount of cross tolerance between benzos and barbs, right? Or am I wrong about that, too?

I've heard reports of phenobarbital being used in benzo withdrawal to control anxiety/seizures, and to speed up recovery through resetting the GABA receptors to their normal state, or something.

If you have to use it, I'd taper up, and use as little as is effective, barbs seem to have some nasty potential long term neurological effects.

I've heard reports of phenobarbital being used in benzo withdrawal to control anxiety/seizures, and to speed up recovery through resetting the GABA receptors to their normal state, or something.

That sounds very interesting....

Do you have a link to these reports?

Eur J Pharmacol. 1971 May;14(3):301-2.Links
Acute tolerance to diazepam in cats; lack of cross-tolerance to phenobarbital and methocarbamol.
Barnett A, Fiore JW.

PMID: 5156148 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I'm not sure in humans.

i have taken both phenobarbital and clonezapam (for seizure disorder) and they seemed to be interchangeable for me. so i would agree that by using pb you would just be exchanging one habit for another

Using a barbiturate for benzo withdrawal is kinda like using heroin for codeine withdrawal...

Yes it will work great. Then you'll just do the same thing. Each time stepping upward in dangerous addictive substances. Benzo w/d is no joke my friend. I've been through it. 6 fucking months. You need to get a doctor who will taper you off. That's what I did. I think most doctors are willing to help you taper if you tell them the truth and don't play games with them. In fact I think it is basically grounds for malpractice here in Canada for them to turn you away because of the risk with benzo withdrawal. barbituates are even worse, believe me. They are pretty strong but the real danger in them is that a good rec dose is not far from dead dose. Very narrow 'epitherapeutic dose' window . Of course most of the good ones are gone now, like Seconol. That stuff was the shit.

There was some H going around here cut with seconal and I was basically IV'ing the combo. Man, woke up on the floor several times. Lucky I didn't kill myself. My buddy crashed his car on it. Just nodded at the wheel. Can't drive on that combo. Anyway that's another story....

You will need to find other ways to help you sleep. Get a sleep study done. Find out if you have a treatable condition ie. RLS

There was some H going around here cut with seconal and I was basically IV'ing the combo. Man, woke up on the floor several times. Lucky I didn't kill myself. My buddy crashed his car on it. Just nodded at the wheel. Can't drive on that combo. Anyway that's another story....

I wouldn't believe that for a second. But druggies will believe anything.

Yes it will work great. Then you'll just do the same thing. Each time stepping upward in dangerous addictive substances. Benzo w/d is no joke my friend. I've been through it. 6 fucking months. You need to get a doctor who will taper you off. That's what I did. I think most doctors are willing to help you taper if you tell them the truth and don't play games with them. In fact I think it is basically grounds for malpractice here in Canada for them to turn you away because of the risk with benzo withdrawal. barbituates are even worse, believe me. They are pretty strong but the real danger in them is that a good rec dose is not far from dead dose. Very narrow 'epitherapeutic dose' window . Of course most of the good ones are gone now, like Seconol. That stuff was the shit.

Phenobarbital is far less recreational than any benzo, and considering that an active dose is around 50mg, and people can commonly consume upwards of 800mg, it's not that much more dangerous. Using it in combination with other depressants is where the danger comes from.

I wouldn't believe that for a second. But druggies will believe anything.

Well you are scrappy aren't you.

What if one had first hand knowledge of such stuff? How would you know. You don't even know me (and are obviously on the 'other end of the food chain).

Please show some respect for what people post here. You can state your opinion in a more 'user-friendly way' and you won't keep getting told to fuck off.

Shows your immaturity. How old areyou Hammilton? I'm 51.

Phenobarb (& other barbiturates in general) induce a shit load of different enzymes which can cause drugs to be metabolized faster than expected, with all the problems that go with such things

There was some H going around here cut with seconal and I was basically IV'ing the combo.

I have some doubts about that seeing how seconal is quinalbarbitone sodium and in solution with heroin hydrochloride would combine to give sodium chloride & the non salt form of the barbiturate & opiate, both of which would come out of solution due to their insolubility. Clinical barbiturates for injection come with a big warning not to combine barbiturate solns with any compound that comes as a salt with an acid (eg morphine sulphate or any sulphates, hydrochlorides, phosphates etc). Just basic chemistry

I just today was released from a 4-day detox in which I was given small amounts of Suboxone in addition to 90 mg of phenobarbital a day, since I had been using heroin and benzos like xanax.

I have been to detox before and they used phenobarb, it has an extremely long half-life, very little addictive potential, and works VERY well to combat the withdrawal effects of benzodiazepines.

I used it to wean myself off of 30 mg of Valium a day, a habit I kept up for 2 years, and I was able to quit the valium, although I also used Neurontin, which helped ENORMOUSLY in the long-term for anxiety and stress.

A lot of good information from Hammilton, but that Shibeeroo dude doesn't know what he's talking about, it's easy to tell. I just know because I have been there and used phenobarbital to get off benzos, and to get off heroin, and I know that taking an opiate to quit a benzo habit is inconceivably stupid.

Well you are scrappy aren't you.

What if one had first hand knowledge of such stuff? How would you know. You don't even know me (and are obviously on the 'other end of the food chain).

Please show some respect for what people post here. You can state your opinion in a more 'user-friendly way' and you won't keep getting told to fuck off.

Shows your immaturity. How old areyou Hammilton? I'm 51.

As FnB explained, it would not and did not happen. I don't doubt that you believe it, but it just wouldn't happen. In 51 years you haven't figured out basic chemistry and I'm the immature one?

Nothing matters unless you're right.

seconal is pretty rare probably, esp since it just came back onto the market.(in the states at least)

why would dealers cut their shit with it. seems impractical

I wouldn't mind having some h "laced" with secobarbital though.
I am not saying you are wrong but it is probably unlikely you got h cut with this.

it would make ones dope "feel" stronger though. as well as help trigger a nasty scenario for respiratory depression.

Last edited:
Y
But substituting GHB with Diazepam worked great! And why should'nt work this method (substituting Diazepam with phenobarbital) as well?

Diazepam is probably the easiest benzo to taper off of, just cut those pills in sections and gradually taper down 2.5mg every week bet it works. 7.5 mg/day first week, 5 mg per day second week, 2.5mg/day third then stop.

I think phenobarbital is routinely used during benzodiazepine withdrawal to combat seizures. I think it's probably effective for that. But I wouldn't expect it to be some kind of replacement therapy, i obtained some phenobarbital to use as a sedative, and even relatively high doses (500mg-600mg) don't seem particularly effective to me, and that's with no other recent sedative use. Be careful going too high as I did that once (1g+? hard to remember) and I was a mess, significant breakdown of motor control (falling all over the place while I was trying to get a drink of water, etc) for like 12-16 hours. Very shitty, in fact I still have a scar on my foot from that, more than six months ago.

All that said, I have a real hard time believing 10mg of diazepam a day for two months would be any kind of real monkey. While I realize some of the more cautious folks would taper from that, in my experience going CT from 10mg of diazepam would be a non-event. Perhaps get some melatonin to help you sleep if you have trouble a couple of nights. I'd be more likely to worry about WD after a prolonged period of daily use (6mo-year+) or more like 60-100mg of diazepam equivalent over a shorter period like yours.

Then again, drugs effect everyone differently, and 10mg of diazepam isn't even really noticeable for me (with no tolerance), so if it effects you significantly it may effect how you'd want to deal with stopping.

i would recommend tapering off. barbituates are far more addictive than benzo's, and benzo's can be quite addictive, in my experience anyway..

Since you're already at a low dose (10mg) you could probably get away with taking 5mg every other day, or 7.5 every day and work your way down from there, 2.5mg at a time. There's also the possibility of using a less potent benzo, i.e. lorazepam, but I'm not a doctor, and it would be advisable to consult one on this.

@any major dude:

No, Lorazepam isn't a good idea at all: Because its shorter half life time!

@All:

Let me tell you my experience with substituting Diazepam with Phenobarbital:

Actualy it worked really great: I took a few days Phenobarbital instead of Diazepam and after that I was able to stop taking Phenobarbital without any problems...

BUT:

I should have been able to see this comming... :-/

Because of my Diazepam box was empty I took Phenobarbital instead every now and then...

...And now after about ~50x100mg Phenobarbital: I ran directly into the next withdrawal :(

Until now it doesn't seem to be harder than the Diazepam withdrawal...

I'm able to sleep if I drink some alkohol at least. :\

...So I'm asking myself:

Would the other way around work as well?? Substituting Phenobarbital with Diazepam?

At the moment I can't see any reason why this should not work...

Accept this specific one danger: If I took the Diazepam too long again... Then I had too play this silly game once again... :p

Congratulations on your success with the diazepam! I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well still. If you are reasonably worried about your safety and well-being during these withdrawals I'd suggest you consult a doctor. It's somewhat redundant to say this, but a bunch of primarily young, motsly drug abusing forum posters is not a suitable substitute. Presuming you're not planning on consulting a doctor, as layman I'm going to point out what you undoubtedly already know more or less, ask a few questions, and then offer some opinions.

First, what you should already know. Ok, You just went through three weeks of substitution therapy for withdrawal from 10mg diazepam over 60 days. Now it's relatively common sense, and if it isn't it's something you should have picked up in this process that if you're worried about withdrawals you should taper your dose down. You didn't with the diazepam. Ok, that happens - perhaps the withdrawal symptoms took you by surprise, or you didn't pay attention to how many you had left. Life goes on. Now, you proceeded to substitute phenobarbital for the diazepam which does work, and then spent 3 weeks on the phenobarbital apparently without a taper. Are you kidding me? What part of the first lesson along with the warnings in I think the first posted response didn't you understand? You got a second chance, it was your responsibility to do it right this time and taper the phenobarbital. But, ok, some questions:

* Can you list all of the withdrawal symptoms you had ORIGINALLY from stopping the diazepam?

* Specifically how much pheno per day did you consume in the 3 weeks?

* Exactly what withdrawal symptoms are you experiencing now?

* Finally I need to ask, are you MENTAL for asking if you should use diazepam to combat the withdrawals that you are having due to the phenobarbital that you used to combat you diazepam withdrawals? You've got to see the problem there.

Now, here again I urge you to go to a doctor and get medical advise especially if you feel your life is in danger.

Ok, now that you haven't. Look, initially you stopped cold turkey off a low dose of diazepam and found that you experienced rebound anxiety (or maybe recurring anxiety if thats what you started the drugs for). Not a huge shock. Uncomfortable? yes. Expected in BZD withdrawal? most certainly. life threatening? not in the least.

Look where we are now, three weeks later and you're almost at square one. If you had bit the rebound anxiety bullet (something almost all clinical bzd detox patients do) 99 out of 100 chance you'd be more than over it by now. Hell, 90/100 chance you would have been over it in 5 days. Something about playing with fire, right?. Imo it should have stopped there. You know why people take benzo withdrawal so seriously? Because with significant enough dosages or time they can easily cause massive seizures, permanent psychosis or possibly death. It's no joke. Were you in that ballpark? Ask your doctor. But I say no way.

I just did some reading to refresh - I've been with two friends who withdrew/tapered down from large or lengthy quantities - one somewhere in the 400-600mg of diazepam bioequiv/day (primarily xanax) for most of a year, and one that took 240mg diaz equiv/day for two or three months. One had medical help but also needed support. I've also self tapered down from sporadic 120-140mg/day more than once. In all of my reading for them I didn't remember any example cases or tapers starting at 10mg that didn't involve at least a couple of years of straight use. So I just looked again. Yup, nobody talks about it. One guess why? Now start having seizures, psychosis or other major medical issues or rebound issues that last more than a couple of weeks and run your ass to a doctor. That's what there they're for. But hell son, you know what they're going to say, break the pill into quarters and take one less quarter each week until you're done.

Ok, so instead of the bullet you opted for the pheno. I did mention that pheno is often used, though now that i've read more I see they'd really prefer diazepam. But it works. Ok, so if you're going to substitute and taper you'd better replace the diaz with an equivalent amount of pheno right? a minute of google told me this: 10mg diazepam = 30mg phenobarbital ( http://books.google.com/books?id=nz...X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA230,M1 ) So right then, starting with 30mg of phenobarbital for the substitution. Now you're supposed to taper it. A reasonable amount to reduce your pheno by each time in this case according to the substance abuse handbook is... drum roll please ... 30mg. ( http://books.google.com/books?id=6L...=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result#PPA79,M1 )

It suggests a taper of 30mg/day in inpatient, and slower in outpatient. So lets be really lax and call it a week. After a week, 30mg pheno -> 0mg of pheno and you're done.

But instead you actually took the diaz you were trying to withdraw from and multiplied it by 7 times give or take to about 200mg/day (based on your comment of 50x100mg used). So now you took something and just amplified it dramatically instead of googling for a couple of minutes (first hit for "phenobarbital equivalence"). Kind of shooting yourself in the foot, no?

But no matter, even at 200mg if you want to use the taper specified, you can do it three times slower than inpatient and still end up at 0mg by now, 3 weeks later. Except you didn't taper at all right...

Hey! No worries! Want to know why? Because 200mg falls inside the theraputic dose for phenobarbital to induce sleep and is half of the standard "do not exceed in 24 hours" ( http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/rx/r....html&contentName=Phenobarbital&contentId=437 ). Also you took it for 3 weeks, which is right in the middle of the typical series of 2-4 weeks ( http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-8689-Phenobarbital+Oral.aspx?drugid=8689&drugname=Phenobarbital+Oral ). While "Phenobarbital will not work as well for anxiety if taken regularly for more than 2 weeks" that just relates to the efficacy and not physical symptoms. While it very likely would have made things easier if you had tapered your dose, you appear to be well within the normal prescription parameters for immediate cessation. But don't take a forum's word for it, ask your doctor.

Ok, so as far as I'm concerned, you're done now. You didn't do it ideally, but you just ran through the likely period of diazepam rebound with the pheno, and you just finished up what could be easily called a typical pheno series.

You say you're having trouble sleeping and need to drink a beer to go to bed? Obviously that's hardly an acute symptom. Have a beer then, right? Me, my opinion is end this now, toss and turn some and get it over with. The idea of starting back on diazepam after all of this trouble seems ludicrous to me. Catch some rebound anxiety? Choke it down and use it as something to remember why not to get here again. But be done. Or go see your doctor, but I doubt he'd say anything substantially different, though I'm sure he'd be much nicer about parts.

My bottom line advice:

* end it here

* stop ordering fucking downers over the internet, you don't seem to be a very responsible doctor for yourself. you obviously have serious issues with them - first gbl then valium then pheno then you want to start valium again? That's a great way to end up taking benzos for a year straight, and trust me you won't keep taking 10mg of diazepam the whole time. You should cut yourself off (based on your apparent double addiction in 3 months and poor willpower in terms of stopping when you want to).

* do you or your family have a history of alcoholism? That's an even better reason based on your behavior to leave these classes of drugs alone.

* Spend the next couple of months active, exercising a lot and busy at least as long as the rebound anxiety and insomnia sticks around. It helps a lot. Combats the problems you're looking for drugs to solve and is healthy as well.

* Do some reading about the dramatic issues high dosage or long term benzo users face while while withdrawing and the very long time tables they have to deal with ( just one of many possible materials: http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/ ) and get some perspective in terms of people really suffering. And hopefully a resolve to leave it behind. ( http://www.benzo.org.uk/stories.htm )

Sorry to both you and everyone else for this being so long and so hostile, but once I saw you asking if you should take the valium up again and start all over it pushed me over the edge, and it's clear the only folks you are asking for advice are junkies (no offense folks!). I really feel you need a pretty hard slap. While your use is very light now, your behavior seems questionable, and heavy long term benzo use is one of the worst things you could wish on someone.

Ok, I'm done.

TL;DR - Wake the fuck up