• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Phenibut – overdose or withdrawal?

Hangryghost

Greenlighter
The following takes place during the time between this June 10th and June 26th. On the 10th, after using Phenibut to ease an Adderall comedown that I absolutely had to ease, it was so amazing that I decided I would try it out to help me through Adderall withdrawal as I wanted to quit. I took 2g my first night, and it ended up making me feel better than I had ever felt––completely normal, which was euphoric in itself, since it had been so long that I had forgotten what normal felt like. (And I've taken klonopin for a while.) It felt like I discovered the magical key to solve my problems, although I knew of course this doesn't exist and had done enough research to know I had to proceed with caution.

I decided taking no more than 2g every other day would be fine, despite more conservative recommendations I saw online. The directions on my phenibut said "Don't take more than 2g a day, and don't take for more than 5 days without at least a 2 day break." I followed my every-other-day plan for about a week, taking 1.5g and 1g the next two doses.

By the 20th, I began using it every day for some reason, and in higher amounts. The most I took in a day was 4g, but I can't remember which days I took which. I wasn't taking my klonopin or adderall. By the 22nd, I was feeling pretty manic, I guess giddy is the word. On the 23rd I had to stay up all night in order to finish a report, and took 80mg of Adderall to do so (very stupid, I know), in addition to 3g phenibut earlier. I slept for about 6 hours later that day though, but then ended up going out and getting only ~4 hours of sleep or less the 24th. I had three drinks that night too.

At this point I started getting weird physical symptoms, that felt like a horrible flu, but not. I had horrible diarrhea on the 25th, my eyes and head felt like there was hot air blowing in (not literally...but just dry, pressure, hurt-y), I felt almost like a cold was coming on but it wasn't, sore throat, no appetite. And taking phenibut seemed only to increase my anxiety. So on the 25th I took 1.5g and the 26th I took none. I plan to avoid it for at least a week, as I'm pretty turned off to it right now. I did however end up taking 60mg of adderall today, which helped me immediately.

So, I know there's a lot going on here, and I'm confused. I obviously am going to be extremely cautious with phenibut from now on since I know how quickly it can get bad. And really I don't even think I need much, so next time I'll stick with 500mg. My question is, do you think my physical nastiness is the result of my Phenibut abuse the past few days, or is it like, some sort of withdrawal? Should I be worried about withdrawal getting worse in the coming days? I don't know why I thought I needed to take so much. It got to the point where I think I was telling myself that shitty feelings caused by too much phenibut were actually my body wanting more phenibut. Guh.

Yes, it could be withdrawal. But you should be having CNS symptoms. Are you having anxiety or derealization at all? trouble sleeping or nightmares?

To ease your withdrawals you should not have used phenibut that way. It's no wonder you got sick. That is not how it's supposed to be used. When they say no more than 2g a day they don't mean all at once. It's supposed to be in divided doses. The max daily limit for klonopin and xanax is 20mg and 10mg a day respectively, but that doesn't mean take 20 and 10mg all at once.

You should have taken 500mg to 750mg 3 times a day, and stuck with that daily. fuck the instructions to take a break or use no more than a few times a week. You can use it like a daily medication. And it would have helped perfectly. It's a gabapentionid like lyrica and neurontin and you would have got perfect help from it that way...

Don't avoid it! If you're sick from not taking it, take 250mg three times a day. It will help.

Thanks for your reply. That makes me feel better to hear, but you do hear so many conflicting things. I wasn't taking the doses all at once - maybe 1.5g in the morning and 1.5 in the afternoon, like that, but that's probably too much at once anyway. It did a number on my stomach so I'm not sure if taking one pill (500mg) would help or hurt right now. Should I wait, do you think? I've had a little anxiety/derealization but I'm so used to it at this point. Last night I couldn't sleep but that could be because I took adderall pretty late, like an idiot. I was gonna try to power through today without anything and see what happens since I feel like I poisoned myself somehow.

Maybe you're just sick? A lot of the symptoms you described sound typical for an infection like the flu, not overdose. When I overdid phenibut once, it was basically like passing out from drinking. It could be withdrawal but most people get very noticeably increased anxiety, insomnia, etc.

No. It's withdrawal symptoms. he's exhibiting typical CNS symptoms too like the derealization. I took 3 grams of phenibut last night on a whim and I am having similar symptoms - are you sweating by the way...my face has been dripping sweat nonstop all day: it's like a fucking fountain. No, you shouldn't wait.

Take it now. You feel that way because your body is going through withdrawal. I've been taking 750tid and it's helping a bit. Just not with the motherfucking sweating... Ugh

I must say though, It is nice to be able to smell again! :)

Last edited:
Ok definitely withdrawal. Haven't slept the past two nights and last night experienced the type of anxiety that makes me understand how people can use the term "primal fear" with a straight face. Took 1mg klonopin which at least let me get a couple hours of shut eye and helped a bit with the mental stuff but I still feel....just scared. Never turned into a physical panic attack but still. Feel very fragile. I took 1g phenibut yesterday, 500mg at 11:45am and 500mg at 3pm. Stupidly had a glass of wine around 9pm. Afraid I've really screwed up my brain. I kind of never wanna touch phenibut again, but, any advice? I only took it for a total of ~18 days and not every day. Highest dose was 4g a day but only once. Once I took 3g two days in a row. I have an interview at 11am, wish me luck.

You should take 1g then every 4 hours for a total every four times a day, say you get up at 6am: you would take it 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, and 10pm, Or you can take it tid every 6 hours so: 6aam, 12am, 6pm, and then 10pm (not 6 hours, but your're not going to stay up or wake up at 12 to take a medication so it's alright to take it now). These dosings will work.

I don't know, that seems like a lot - do you mean 1g klonopin or 1g phenibut? I feel okay right now actually, so I'm wondering if it would be the worst thing in the world to just stop taking it right now altogether. I took 1g yesterday and 1.5g 2 days before yesterday. I feel pretty okay right now. I've dealt with this exact type of anxiety my whole life in phases so it's not super alarming to me and I'm still functional. Will get back to you if I start hallucinating or something. Also do you think, if I do stop phenibut right now, I could start taking it just once a week without experiencing the same rebound anxiety as I did last night? Also, what's the difference between rebound anxiety and withdrawal? Thanks.

Phenibut. i take 1g tid. It's not a lot. 750mg is a prescribed dosage in russia.

Yes, you could start taking it again, just don't take extremely high dosages >3grams.

Rebound anxiety is just anxiety that reoccurs after cessation of a substance. It isn't a new effect...it would be a return of normal anxiety that you typically had before starting they drug. Withdrawal is the state your body goes in when the drug is unceremoniously stripped from your system and your system is struggling to return to homeostasis. Your body was using the phenibut as a chemical to replace to GABA at the GABA B receptors, and they got massively downregulated. So when it's "stripped" away and you go through withdrawal, you don't have enough receptors in your brain to function normally, hence you go through withdrawal.

This causes the physical symptoms. Not having enough GABA B receptors, allows the other excitatory receptors in your brain to run rampant, and a kindling effect occurs. Your GABA B receptors need to upregulate, which means they need time return to a normal receptor density, which can take quite a while.

But do you think my situation is different since I've only taken it for 18 days and the first week was every other day? Is that long enough to become dependent? Thanks for your help by the way

What kind of dependence are you referring to? psychological or physical? Physical, yes. You could be. Which is why I recommend a taper starting at about 750 (not the 1000mg, I agree that is too much; that would be for therapeutic purposes
) tid, and then slowly reduce by 250 increments.

You are welcome.

If you are psychologically dependent that is another story.

Phenibut is weird I think I am shelving it for good as well. I have only had it for two weeks and taken it maybe five out of those fourteen days, my doses never higher then 2 grams.

I took 2 grams on sunday then a gram and a half yesterday. By the end of last night I was feeling...strange. Not relaxed, anxious, couldn't sleep. I ended up having to take two mgs of diclazepam just to calm me down enough for bed.

Woke up this morning feeling very anxious and Still haven't gotten out of bed. Dreading this because of course, I start my new job today. All I can think to do for myself really is take some more diclaz to get through this day. So much conflicting information in regards to phenibut. It seems to effect everyone differently, moreso then most drugs. Weird

I think that is because most people take wide variations is dosages. The prescribed dosage in Russia, where the drug was made, is 250 mg, and the max recommended dose at one time is 750 mg.

I think that is because most people take wide variations is dosages. The prescribed dosage in Russia, where the drug was made, is 250 mg, and the max recommended dose at one time is 750 mg.
I'm curious about phenibut dosages as well. first you stated in post #9 that 750mg was a prescribed dosage in Russia and now you're starting that's the max recommended dosage in Russia. Which is it please?

It is a prescribed dosage in russia: the maximum dosage prescribed in dosage. they don't prescribe dosages higher that 750mg. What I said is the same thing.

Okay, I felt better when I got up, left the house, and during my interview. I could glimpse normality through a chink in the shittiness. That lasted for a bit, but I got another wave of nausea and panic around 2:30pm and took another 1mg klonopin, because I'm a weakling I guess. I also took 1mg klonopin at 3am last night. I've been taking klonopin pretty erratically for about 3 years, always the minimum possible and never to abuse it (I don't find it gives me a high), so I don't even know where this falls on the advisable/inadvisable spectrum. It helps but doesn't "cure" the feeling, it just makes it bearable. I'm seeing a psychiatrist tonight who will hopefully help me get sorted out. If anyone wants to hear my updates, I am more than happy to continue providing them, since it helps me feel more calm.

I will also update with any info I might glean from the psychiatrist later, if anyone is interested? I don't know maybe this isn't the place for that.

Phenibut hasn't helped you with your life now has it? Ah well. You had a choice to take phenibut to help you get through the trials and difficulties of life - you are conscious of taking phenibut to help with this - so while you are at it - don't burn your bridges - and try sorting your life out - unless you really truly are a weakling - because that's what you must be if taking to phenibut to cushion you is what you need - even with whatever happens in your life - phenibut is not the way forward - meditate - get a life - man up - and realize that your life is worth it - suffer bravely - drugs will destroy your mind

This might be the wrong site to preach drug abstinence

Yes, it could be withdrawal. But you should be having CNS symptoms. Are you having anxiety or derealization at all? trouble sleeping or nightmares?

To ease your withdrawals you should not have used phenibut that way. It's no wonder you got sick. That is not how it's supposed to be used. When they say no more than 2g a day they don't mean all at once. It's supposed to be in divided doses. The max daily limit for klonopin and xanax is 20mg and 10mg a day respectively, but that doesn't mean take 20 and 10mg all at once.

You should have taken 500mg to 750mg 3 times a day, and stuck with that daily. fuck the instructions to take a break or use no more than a few times a week. You can use it like a daily medication. And it would have helped perfectly. It's a gabapentionid like lyrica and neurontin and you would have got perfect help from it that way...

Don't avoid it! If you're sick from not taking it, take 250mg three times a day. It will help.

GirlWithBlueHair, knows her stuff. Taper down with the phenibut at a decent pace. While your tapering I recomend you use less or none of the Adderall . Try not to tax your system. It will make withdrawal easer. Also, keep your mind positive while your coming off the phenibut. A positive outlook is always helpful.