• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

🍄 Gardening 🍄 [Peyote Subthread] Cultivation

Actually thats probably what we need. Just let them thin themselves out.

^ i presupposed someone with the ability to discern a sub 10 year old from a +15 year old peyote knows how to harvest them properly.

Isn't it usually just a simple size calculation tho? If they're more than so many inches across they're mature?

i would like to eventually get some seeds n take a stab at Peyote because as someone else said earlier in the thread it is an endangered species. who cares if it take a decade n a half to mature i would grow it more for the sake of growing it and the inherent value it posses just by being such a powerful plant.

right now i have two 2+feet tall San Pedro's that are doin quite nice. one is sprouting two arms n the other is sprouting one arm, <-- which is kinda nice b/c i didnt expect em to do that so soon n by browing arms i can easily hack off an arm, whenever they get big enough, without causing serious stress on the plant where as i would have to assume just hackin a foot off the top of it would do some damage/discomfort to the plant

also whoever was talkin about just goin out in the desert n eatin peyote prob hasnt ever done that b/c even in its native environment peyote isnt abundant. also in its native environment there are lots of other species of cacti that look similar to peyote. the names are escaping me right now but the nicknames of these similar cacti have somethin to do with like 'horse somehting'. name has somethin to do with fuckin up horses feet cuz they are hard to be seen and painful to step on

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, all. I will be growing Peyote, as a few others have said, I couldn't really care less if it takes 5 years for them to mature, they are nice plants nevertheless. Just got to get the seeds now, am I allowed to ask on here if anyone knows where I could get seeds, or even young plants? Its not actually illegal to grow them is it?
When I've got seeds or seedlings I'll probably consult a gardening forum about the best way to look after them and help them mature.

I might also grow a San Pedro but think it may be a bit on the large side for my flat.

growing from seed is a bit of a challenge for both l.williamsii and t.pachanoi. they have very hard woody seed that is difficult to germinate. you'll want to scar the seed and soak them.

best method, ultimately, is to get a rooted cutting of either.

also, note: in the usa peyote seed is still illegal, growing peyote cactus is illegal. proceed with caution (there are many similiar looking cacti so it is very unlikely anyone will be suspicious if there is no reason for them to be) and good luck finding someone who will give you a cutting. they are really neat cacti to care for with really gorgeous blooms.

Last edited:
Isn't it usually just a simple size calculation tho? If they're more than so many inches across they're mature?

don't really know, could very well be. eitherway, if you are capable of that, not much more skill is needed to harvest properly, as the harvesting consists of simply cutting the crown off; leaving the root and a little bit of flesh, as i described earlier.

http://www.cactusconservation.org/CCI/t2c_3.html

growing from seed is a bit of a challenge for both l.williamsii and t.pachanoi. they have very hard woody seed that is difficult to germinate. you'll want to scar the seed and soak them.

best method, ultimately, is to get a rooted cutting of either.

also, note: in the usa peyote seed is still illegal, growing peyote cactus is illegal. proceed with caution (there are many similiar looking cacti so it is very unlikely anyone will be suspicious if there is no reason for them to be) and good luck finding someone who will give you a cutting. they are really neat cacti to care for with really gorgeous blooms.
Cheeres, I'm in the UK. I have no idea of the legallity and TBH, I don't really care, how anyone can decide that a naturally occuring plant is "illegal" is pretty rediculous to me. Just got to try and find a plant now.

Cheeres, I'm in the UK. I have no idea of the legallity and TBH, I don't really care, how anyone can decide that a naturally occuring plant is "illegal" is pretty rediculous to me. Just got to try and find a plant now.

Agreed. How sad of a situation it is that growing a peyote garden is a crime and obtaining it is made difficult by it's illegality.

I believe it's only illegal in the US but growing it in northern climes is a pain. I'm in Canada and have a few trichocereus and they grow maybe a couple inches a year. A peyote would take FOREVER to mature unless you were putting it under powerful lights which is just silly IMO.

I got a san pedro and another one that is a Monstrosus mutation (too bizarre a form to ever harvest I think), also have been waiting for a friend to order a couple of extra peyotes but he always forgets.
I wouldn't grow them to eat in the near future because about all cacti grow a bit too slowly for my taste. If I want mescaline I'll order San Pedro powder.
It's more of a curiosity thing to have a pet peyote :)

indeed, explicity outlawing any sort of plant is ridiculous. btw, you may actually have an easier time getting your hands on these cacti in the UK. good luck

I wouldn't grow them to eat in the near future because about all cacti grow a bit too slowly for my taste.

in my experience san pedro grows extremely quick. from a single cactus i can easily get a trips worth in a year, sometimes two trips worth (if i were to harvest) but i don't want to chop down my baby. i get the same feeling from harvesting anything really. cannabis and fruits and veggies and herbs - harvest time is a rewarding and bittersweet thing.

Last edited:
in my experience san pedro grows extremely quick.

That all depends on where you live. People in northern climes aren't so fortunate. I take it you live somewhere warm and sunny?

It would take me about 5-10 years to grow a trichocereus dose from a 3 inch pup. I pretty much just grow them because I like growing things. If I want to consume mescaline I'll get some powder.

One time one of my cacti (10 inches tall) was sick and wasn't growing and I figured it would be best to harvest it before it completely died. MMMMM.. that was some good cactus. That 10 inch cactus extracted using the alcohol method was a really good trip. The same forces of cold and cloud that keep a cactus from growing fast, make a cactus of strong alkaloid concentration.

I got a san pedro and another one that is a Monstrosus mutation (too bizarre a form to ever harvest I think), also have been waiting for a friend to order a couple of extra peyotes but he always forgets.
I wouldn't grow them to eat in the near future because about all cacti grow a bit too slowly for my taste. If I want mescaline I'll order San Pedro powder.
It's more of a curiosity thing to have a pet peyote :)

Sure you'd know better than I but cant one just buy peyote to grow in the netherlands or more specifically in Amsterdam? i have seen pictures of places selling them online and in hightimes. anyways i am sure if this was the case you would likely have gotten on top of that but i figured i'd ask that way i can know the current condition of peyote in A-dam. anyways thanks for any replies man

If you live in a crappy climate then grow them inside with artificial lighting. Similar to an indoor weed grow. the specifics are quite different to growing weed but its the same idea.
I've got a mate who moves his cacti indoors during winter, no dormant phase over the cold months for those bad boys =D

So much misinformation!

Hi There,

First off seeds of this magickal plant are easy to germinate and easy to buy. Search by its latin name and you find cacti enthusiasts. Secondly the plant is very easy to care for if you have patience. I have seen great plants for sale at -snip- (google it) and younger but cheaper plants for sale at -snip-. Hope that helps. One last thing- this plant is endangered in the wild so whatever you do make sure you buy from a reputable source. Oh- and don't believe eveything you read about age and size being the same. Keep a cactus in soil that is without nutirents and it will live but hardly grow, feed it a lot and it will grow fast but be little more than a "bag of water".
Happy hunting

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi CactiKing,

No one here is allowed to give out or ask for sources on this website.

You can find more information in the PD guidelines link in the bottom of this post. Also check out the Psychedelic index for lots more information on various psychedelics.

Welcome to PD and BL :)

Peyote

Hey,

Just had a wee query.

I've recently started growing a few breeds of benefitial plants some of which being peyote but some of them are turning a bit darker.

I was told the colour changes can each determine a different thing they need like heat or light etc.

What does it getting slightly darker mean.

Did try to look up websites but havent had much luck but mite be looking in the wrong place.

Any help would be appreciated cause i dont want to see any them die would be a ttl fail if i cant even keep a cactus.

thanks.

Wouldn't be a total fail I think, dry air currents definitely killed my San Pedro's, they aren't immortal... darker colors are probably not much to worry about though.

Merged your question into this sub-subthread :D

Last edited:
Peyote growing

If I buy a plant and dont eat it hiw will it grow?
Ive started looking on line and all I see is little ones
Also any good refetance to long term maitance

What do you mean by "how will it grow?"

How long will it take? I believe it takes around 5-15 years for a single Peyote button to mature.