• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

🍄 Gardening 🍄 [Peyote Subthread] Cultivation

jaymie - so, one would go about doing this every day for 15-20 years? Or would a grow light speed up the growth signifigantly? Or is this just for sprouting?

The light doesn't speed the growth up much, no. It's mainly used for sprouting and growing indoors until it's safe to move it outside.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information. Does anyone know how old a peyote button should be before it can be successfully grafted?

I've never grafted, but of the grafted Peyote I've seen they've all been around 2-3 inches across and one and a half to two inches tall. This might take anywhere from half a year to a year of growth depending on it's environment and care.

What happens when you graft it? Does it grow as quickly as the cactus it is attached to? Does it increase in potency?

Yeah it grows faster, but I don't know if it increases in potency. Peyotes are often grafted onto San Pedro and grow something like 2-4 times faster. 3-4 years to reach maturity instead of 10. Not bad.

Massive bump. :!

But anyway, came across this thread using the search tool, and am interested as too how much time is a variable.

Refering to a San Pedro cactus, I belive that mescaline is always in it, but you need 12inches of the cactus to produce a high enough dose. The only reason I thought time wsa important is so that it is big enough to get your 12inches?

Hi,

This is my first post (well 2nd actually, I originally posted it in general and was told to post it here)

I'm interested in growing Peyote cactai, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of doing this? I understand they can be a bit of a bugger to cultivate. I live in a flat, which generally stays relatively warm and dry.

I know it takes bloody ages before I'll be able to harvest any mescaline, so I'll get back to you about that when I've managed to grow them.

You'll need to get back to us in about 10-15 years then. That's about how long they need to grow.

And one cacti won't cut it - 6-10 is rock bottom minimum. Some indians use upwards of 40 peyote cacti for each trip.

You'll need to get back to us in about 10-15 years then. That's about how long they need to grow.

And one cacti won't cut it - 6-10 is rock bottom minimum. Some indians use upwards of 40 peyote cacti for each trip.
Bugger. Didn't realise it was that long. Thought it was 2-3 years. I was expecting to grow about 10 of the things.

Can you pick up mature Cactai from anywhere? Are they the sort of thing you can get in a garden centre? After you have harvested them, do the buttons grow back? or is that it for that cactus?

Is there a better way of safely obtaining Mescaline?

From the Peyote wiki

"Peyote is extremely slow growing. Cultivated specimens grow considerably faster, sometimes taking less than three years to go from seedling to mature flowering adult. More rapid growth can be achieved by grafting Peyote onto mature San Pedro root stock[4]."

What you recon? Seems reasonable, maybe I just have to feed them plenty!!
Just got to try and find some seedlings now.

yeah I have seen that in wiki ...if you get seeds let us know peyote is endangered I was thinking of growing it and giving it away...good luck

Can you pick up mature Cactai from anywhere? Are they the sort of thing you can get in a garden centre? After you have harvested them, do the buttons grow back? or is that it for that cactus?

Is there a better way of safely obtaining Mescaline?

You couldn't buy 10 mature peyote - it would cost about £1000. Pretty expensive tripping.

San pedro would be the way to go to experience mescaline - fewer nauseating alkaloids than peyote too.

I don't think a 2-3 year old peyote is going to contain much, if any, mescaline. The older they are the more mescaline they contain. Maybe you could get into grafting them onto san pedro but that sounds like hard and expensive work. Especially with 10 of them.

if i were to grow myself a peyote trip i'd never graft them. to me, it seems extremely disrespectful towards the cactus' spirit. The accelerated growth reminds me of those genetically modified salmons that grow so fat so quickly they get all kinds of deformations and/or end up barely able to breathe, suffocating.
you can let them regrow (when they not grafted, or when you cut them off the graft and plant them so they grow roots) if you leave the roots and a little underground flesh. i imagine this of little use when cultivated (since it would take another 15-20 years to spiritually mature again), but when harvested from nature it leaves a plant instead of endangering it further.
anyway because of my issues with grafting and also out of sheer simplicity i'd say if you want to experience growing mescaline grow a san pedro, and if you are interested in the growth of spiritual experience (in the sense of: the path itself is more important then its end) i'd suggest devoting yourself to a few peyotes over the course of 15-20 years. i bet they'd really 'root' you.

edit: a third option could of course be to go look for them in the desert.
Also, when you buy say a big '10 year old' peyote from a shop i'd imagine one *very* lucky if its indeed a 10 year old and not a grafted one

Last edited:
you dont need a bunch of separate cacti. during the course of the cacti's life new pups (buttons) will develop.
in ideal conditions your peyote can mature in a shorter time. (5 years or less)

also, cacti (including lophophora) are very easy to grow.
and yes, grafting to columnars is a bit tricky.

If you're looking for a mescaline trip (as opposed to peyote specifically), go for san pedro or peruvian torch. They grow ~30cm a year once established and grow faster the bigger they are.

Yeah I'd definitely love to have a Peyote for a decoration. But let Sandy P do the work for you.

edit: a third option could of course be to go look for them in the desert.

Not the best idea. They're already almost extinct and you need skill to know how to harvest the peyote without killing it. The last thing peyote needs is kids driving round the desert going "Here's another one dude!!"

^ i presupposed someone with the ability to discern a sub 10 year old from a +15 year old peyote knows how to harvest them properly, and someone who doesn't to be accompanied by a guide. the kids driving round the desert would probably eat a whole lot of young ones puking their guts out without getting off the ground. i suppose that be pretty self-defeating behavior.

Last edited: