• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Personality Test

What is your Meyers-Briggs Type?

• Total voters
^ Going on this thread, the one in P&S and my own experience (reading mine and then every other possibility) it seems to be that most people will see themselves, at least in part, to all of them.

You can read all the "results" here:

http://www.personalitypage.com/html/portraits.html

Just from the first one i clicked on.. I notice this:

ISTJs are very loyal, faithful, and dependable. They place great importance on honesty and integrity. They are "good citizens" who can be depended on to do the right thing for their families and communities. While they generally take things very seriously, they also usually have an offbeat sense of humor and can be a lot of fun - especially at family or work-related gatherings.

How many people would NOT see that in themselves (even if it wasn't true)..

Looking through them there are many many examples of Barnum statements written in every one of them.. In a lot of statements where it might be "ooh that's not me" it will throw in a can or maybe or sometimes.. (as i bolded in my quote).. just like horoscopes.

For anyone that has done the test and thought "yeah that sounds like me".. Read the other types and tell me most of them don't sound like you to some extent.

Edit - Just realised we're in P&S.. This one and the one in EADD then ;)

We all have tendencies for all of these, nobody is strictly introverted or extroverted.
This is an (imo poor) attempt at pigeonholing which one is innate/natural/dominant/prevalent/whatever.
There isn't even any correlation between introversion/extroversion or any of this shit and morals/priorities/humour/etc

^ Going on this thread, the one in P&S and my own experience (reading mine and then every other possibility) it seems to be that most people will see themselves, at least in part, to all of them.

You can read all the "results" here:

http://www.personalitypage.com/html/portraits.html

Just from the first one i clicked on.. I notice this:

Looking through them there are many many examples of Barnum statements written in every one of them.. In a lot of statements where it might be "ooh that's not me" it will throw in a can or maybe or sometimes.. (as i bolded in my quote).. just like horoscopes.

For anyone that has done the test and thought "yeah that sounds like me".. Read the other types and tell me most of them don't sound like you to some extent.

Edit - Just realised we're in P&S.. This one and the one in EADD then ;)

Read another version of them. I'm not commenting on the relative accuracy of the test, but this is the fluffer version of the explanations of the personality types; There are explorations of the matter that are far less generalized.

Jesus, I posted in here in 2010. I sound like a completely different person now, but my life was shit then anyways and I suffered from severe isolation (and didn't know enough to give a fuck about it).

I think that the MBTI is a poor example for where we should expect the Forer/Barnum effect. For most people, most of the type descriptions will seem like a poor fit for them. At the very least, that's the case for me.

Agreed. The sheer quantity of type descriptions required for the test's multiplicity of outcomes would make a Forer-friendly version exceedingly difficult to compose. There are only so many vague, nebulous generalizations one can whip up and expect to be taken seriously. I cannot attest to the MBTI's validity, but I consider its reliability to be acceptable enough for me to vote in a corresponding P&S poll...for whatever that's worth.

ISTJs are very loyal, faithful, and dependable. They place great importance on honesty and integrity. They are "good citizens" who can be depended on to do the right thing for their families and communities. While they generally take things very seriously, they also usually have an offbeat sense of humor and can be a lot of fun - especially at family or work-related gatherings.

The contents of that little blurb fail utterly to resonate with me. For instance, when at 'family- or work-related gatherings,' I would not describe myself as 'a lot of fun.' Again, given the exhaustive quantity of specific trait descriptions employed by the test (and taking into account the probability of overlap - e.g., an INTP will likely share many attributes with an INTJ), I simply cannot fathom why you would be comparing its methods and presentation to those of a daily horoscope. The only thing these two methods (Meyers-Briggs and astrology) have in common is their attempt to provide an accurate description of a set of relatively stable personality traits. One strives for rigor, the other pretends at prophecy.

I did. And they really, really don't.

Last edited:
rickolasnice said:

You have trimmed a single paragraph out of a description that is roughly 10 times longer. This is a good way to produce Barnum statements from material that itself does not constitute Barnum statements.

Reading the brief description that you present, I would say that it doesn't really fit me. Looking at the longer description, I would say that it fits me extremely poorly.

I cannot attest to the MBTI's validity, but I consider its reliability to be acceptable enough for me to vote in a corresponding P&S poll...for whatever that's worth.

I think that the MBTI is specifically scientifically invalid in the following way: it was generated based on theoretical extension of Jung's analysis of variation of personality. It is not empirically derived like, say, the Big Five (though some of its dimensions can be collapsed into the Big 5's). The MBTI has been validated empirically in correlational studies suggest that the 4 functional preferences assigned to each type hang together (ie, it's far more likely to present preferences for cognitive function presented by one of the 16 MBTI types than an alternative array of preferences). Still, this could be an artifact of how these inventories are structured.

I did. And they really, really don't.

Indeed. Accordingly, I actually usually test as INT(J/P), with slight preference for J, but looking at the available types, I can tell that this is incorrect (in that the tests will often mistake need for conceptual integrity with general need for closure). The preferences of the INTJ are 'sorta right' for me, but INTP is clearly a better fit.

ebola

I am new to this forum but this is something very interesting here. I talked to a psychiatrist recently (I was diagnosed with adult ADD), and asked her if they checked the patients for personality type, because I feel there is something in it. These results show that my hunch was right (INTJ - hunch :D).

I agree with Ebola, the MBTI is definitely not scientific. As with all Jungian (and Freudian) psychology, the MBTI lies deep in the region of psychology that's within the humanities. That said, I don't think it's invalid or useless by a long shot. I generally believe that ideas and conceptual frameworks don't need to be based on controlled experimental data, and be testable in controlled experiments themselves, to have merit, though. Although psychology will continue to become more and more a science, there will always remain aspects of this field of inquiry that are non-scientific, and that's OK.

My medical residency has on its teaching faculty 2 psychologists, both of whom are big fans of the MBTI, administer it to everyone involved with the program, and share the results with everyone. It's actually proven fairly useful for evaluating team dynamics. It's not so much that work teams are designed based on people's MBTI types, because in my line of work there's a strong principle of being able to work effectively with anyone, no matter how much you have in common or how much you enjoy each other's company. But rather, we've found it a useful tool for anticipating how a randomly assembled work team of sundry personalities can strategize for maximum communication and minimum friction.

I like the Big Five, too. It can be used in similar ways as the MBTI, and does a good job. But it feels somehow... less fun to me. It feels switching from a local folk measurement that just seemed fitting and sensible to a metric unit that makes for easy math but seems awkward, because it's not a quantity that I encounter in my everyday world. The Big Five's gains in precise language and empirical backing are offset, I think, by a loss of charm and accessibility. I can't help but wonder if a personality test, especially one that's transparent in its methods and results to the test taker, is doomed from the start if the people being tested can't get into it.

Ricolasnice, I don't know what you're talking about. I relate not at all to most of the 'S' types' descriptions, and a bunch of the other ones too. I'll grant you there's more than one profile I relate to, but definitely not more than 3 or 4.

OK, ok.. fair enough I'm probably wrong..

For me personally - I found at least a few paragraphs in each one (minus one or two) that I would consider "me".. While 3 of my friends done the same test and got results than sounded less like them than others (although, again, they could see themselves in parts of more than one (they didn't read all of the other types, as i did))

But I still fail to see how this could help anyone? I can only imagine people reading their result thinking:

"Yep, that's me... Oh yes definitely me... Ooooh i didn't know i was ambitious and self-confident?? I'll have to apply that knowledge in real life!"..

Other than that i only see these tests being useful in diagnosing a patient so as to treat them (even then.. no :\)

Reading them again, you are right.. They're not exactly Barnum statements (although i still fit a lot of most of them but none entirely.. I'll take the test again and see what i get.. The one i did before was similar (or the same) questions but you could answer from strongly agree to strongly disagree?)

But i still think they're bullshit.

I'm taking the test again now and for almost every question I'm thinking.. "Completely depends on the situation?? It's just not as simple as Yes I do or No I don't"..

Last edited:
OK, done..

I got INTP.. It does sound a lot like more but there was one or two paragraphs I strongly disagreed with..

To be honest i don't remember if this is what i got the first time i took the test (only a month or two ago)..

Has anyone tried getting someone close to you to answer it for you / read your result to see if they agree?

I also noticed that it tells you other people that are of the same personality type.. Bullshit.. 99% (if not 100) of them have never taken the test and some of them are FICTIONAL. I mean.. come on.. People aren't as simple as fitting into one of 16 packages.

Last edited:
rick said:
I also noticed that it tells you other people that are of the same personality type.. Bullshit.. 99% (if not 100) of them have never taken the test and some of them are FICTIONAL. I mean.. come on.. People aren't as simple as fitting into one of 16 packages.

These are meant to be illustrative examples, not rigorous empirical data. Also, these descriptions are elaborated by people who run the website with the quiz (and some secondary sources), not actual theorists or researchers (Myers and Briggs preferred to communicate via books :p).

Using the Myers-Briggs, the personality type, the 'box', is a starting point. It points to a predicted preference for 4 cognitive functions (out of 8 available within the theoretical system). Then the idea is to evaluate yourself vis-a-vis predictions generated from how exercise of these preferences for cognitive function should shape your thought and behavior. The interesting and informative part of the process will come when you note discrepancies between your inclinations and what is prototypical for your type. Then, if you still want to draw from the Myers-Briggs, you can try to explain such discrepancies in terms of development and atrophy of your preferred functions, emulation of other functions via one of your preferred 4, or unusually well-honed ability in a non-preferred function (it's not like people of a certain type are limited to think and act SOLELY in terms of what the particular type dictates).
Personality tests and personality theory need be "putting people in boxes" only insofar as we fail to explore the relevant theoretical framework and its applications with sufficient nuance.

ebola

I agree with Ebola, the MBTI is definitely not scientific.

Eh...that's not quite what I meant (I would qualify the MBTI as "somewhat scientific"). One needn't empirically derive all of his/her objects of investigation (indeed, it's impossible to do so in the absence of any pre-imposed framework). Similarly, it is impossible to atheoretically generalize the dynamics of one's object of study; one must apply some theoretical lens to intelligibly describe personality dynamics in the first place.

So where does the MBTI stand in all this? It draws its theoretical framework and objects of study (eg, which characteristics of behavior and perception are relevant, what preferences for types of cognition one can have, how all these interrelate dynamically, etc.) from non-scientific Jungian supposition of how the mind is structured to produce personalities. So we have invested heavily in hoping that Jung-inspired theoretical inference will hold up to various types of scrutiny. But insofar as the categories and dynamic relations suggested by the MBTI's framework produce inferences that are later confirmed through testing, the typology becomes scientific. Some of these studies have been done (eg, looking to make sure that the predicted clusters of cognitive preferences actually hang together--they do). Some have not, for the most part (eg, longitudinal empirical verification of life-outcomes predicted by prior measured personality type), sometimes due to lack of interest in the typology, sometimes due to the difficulty of implementing relevant empirical testing. So at this point, some facets of the MBTI are spottily and incompletely scientifically validated.

I like the Big Five, too. It can be used in similar ways as the MBTI, and does a good job. But it feels somehow... less fun to me. It feels switching from a local folk measurement that just seemed fitting and sensible to a metric unit that makes for easy math but seems awkward, because it's not a quantity that I encounter in my everyday world. The Big Five's gains in precise language and empirical backing are offset, I think, by a loss of charm and accessibility. I can't help but wonder if a personality test, especially one that's transparent in its methods and results to the test taker, is doomed from the start if the people being tested can't get into it.

This isn't the feel I have for the big 5 AT ALL. The five dimensions don't point to a 'deeper' framework of cognitive proclivities that structure them, so any given personality description in the Big 5 won't be nearly as rich. I think an important part of producing personality theory is establishing personality metrics that are generative, presenting implications beyond what follows directly from a straightforward description of those characteristics. This can even facilitate predictive testing of personality theory.
Also, while I think that some of the dimensions of the MBTI can be accounted for by Big 5 measures (introversion/extroversion is used by both frameworks, openness to experience is essentially preference for intuition over sensing), other parts of the two frameworks don't as easily speak to one another. But, I bet there's a correlation to be found statistically between them, and if there is, the MBTI's description of cognitive function could be used to explain presentation of remaining Big 5 traits. If this were validated empirically, it too would be scientific.

Ricolasnice, I don't know what you're talking about. I relate not at all to most of the 'S' types' descriptions, and a bunch of the other ones too. I'll grant you there's more than one profile I relate to, but definitely not more than 3 or 4.

Hah...I only relate to 2 of the sixteen possible profiles. Perhaps that's why I like the test so much. ;)

ebola

I got INFJ and I find the explanation pretty accurate. Apparently INFJ is the rarest and accounts for 1% of the population? Funny how 10% of the BL folks who took the test were INFJ. I guess we are more common on the internet? Or more of us are druggies than other types? ;)