Mental Health Personality Disorders

I don't have one (or any that I know of), but after having taken psychology courses and having known people who have them, I think they are very misunderstood. I believe that anyone is capable of change if they want to change, including someone with a PD. Also, people tend to think that all people with a particular PD tend to be alike or think alike. This is not true at all. Everyone with a PD is completely unique, and PDs are really just groups of (typically maladaptive) traits that tend to be correlated with each other. Also, the other misconception is that having a PD is always maladaptive.

I would argue that this is not the case, and under certain circumstances, PD traits or behaviors can actually be quite beneficial to the person with the condition and even to society at large. For instance, having ASPD can actually be an advantage in one's career. Often times, people with ASPD are extremely high functioning and quite successful. This is also true with regard to people who have NPD as well. People with BPD are often mischaracterized as 'lacking self-identity', but in a sense, I feel like the opposite is true. Most of the people who I've known who had BPD seemed to explore themselves on a much deeper level than people without a PD.

People with BPD often come across to me as much more expressive than people without a PD, and I would say that this is a positive thing rather than a negative one. In most cases, I think that people with BPD are simply individuals who tend to be highly expressive but were unfortunate enough to grow up in a home where expression and self-identity exploration was forbidden or too restrictive for them. The cluster A traits are a bit different, but I would say that these have adaptive aspects as well most likely. I would say that schizotypal personality disorder is very misunderstood.

The whole concept of someone having 'odd beliefs' and it being a disorder is often not really indicative of a problem. I think that the experiences of people with schizotypal PD and 'unusual thoughts and experiences' may sometimes actually be right and simply something that is not recognized or understood yet. Also, I think there are more dimensions than the three physical dimensions and the fourth dimension of time, and despite the fact that many physicists say it's impossible for these realities to be accessed I think this may be inaccurate and such experiences are, in fact, evidence of these realities being accessed.

Some PD traits are adaptive but others often do not understand and attempt to change the person's innate character in a way that is actually harmful and damaging. I'd even argue that some therapists do this. In my opinion, the only time that PD traits are anything that needs to be changed is if it results in one being abusive or harmful to others, or it results in one being a danger to themselves or being self-destructive. Other than that, some PD traits are actually positive and beneficial. And I feel that this is often underrecognized. Obviously, some people with PDs really do have tendencies that are maladaptive, but anyone can change if they want to and set their mind to it.

Mostly, I think the 'disorders' that psychologists diagnose when it comes to PDs are simply clusters of traits that are not inherently maladaptive as a whole. However, some of the more extreme manifestations can be quite maladaptive. But honestly I'd say that 80% of PDs are simply evidence of psychologists overdiagnosing. And honestly, I do not agree with the concept of labeling one's entire personality as a 'disorder'. Everyone is different, and I think that it is about time that the world of psychologists and psychiatrists comes to finally recognize and accept that. The psychiatric field is overly judgmental and has a tendency to over-pathologize IMO.

Not sure how often people are misdiagnosed, although I'm sure it happens, but you're right in that we are much more than our disorder and have our own unique personalities. I think that is the point of this thread and sort of goes without saying, but I'm really happy that someone did. I still hold true, though, that having a personality disorder is in a sense like being gay. Maybe a horrible example, but for me at least, I get along with people with similar personality constructs and it's harder for me to fit in with others.

Every trait listed can be spun into a positive, this is very true and something worth talking more about.

Does anyone have any examples of this for themselves? LandsUnknown said a couple, and I'm currently on the shitter need to get off and would like to hear someone other than myself speak.

Thank you @LandsUnknown - that was very well put and worth everyone to read.

Last edited:
I've always thought I have borderline personality disorder. It was even listed as one of my diagnosis, eventually it was changed to bipolar 1. I showed the BPD criteria to a psychiatrist years ago, every box was checked. I completed DBT therapy, the primary therapy for borderline personality disorder.
My BPD was way more active in my 20s, I was very impulsive and went out a lot, doing risky things. Being that impulsive and emotional is what led to an overdose on lots of klonopin and wine like a decade ago. Now in my 30s, the BPD seems to have calmed down. It used to feel like I was exposed all the time, no emotional skin, hypersensitive. I would feel completely empty and lonely every single night, craving something/someone. That's why I used to go out all the time, trying to fill a void. Glad it's not like that now.

In the medical community, BPD is probably looked down on as a nuisance and pretty much impossible to treat. DBT therapy helps though if you stick with it.

This video has always been a comfort:

@CoastTwoCoast - I agree in that personality disorders ARE treatable. I'm glad yours has gotten better with age. I can't imagine what feeling like your always exposed is like - i'm glad you're over that stage.

For me, my symptoms have actually gotten worse with age. Mostly because i don't have a loving family to give me structure, now that i'm on my own. I'm trying to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand, and a large part of that will be getting back into my field after probation is over to keep these hands busy. But even so, coupled with Bipolar disorder.. it's difficult. Good thing i don't drink anymore. When i drink i get into Trouble.

@phaedrus875 - What is one symptom of BPD that gives you an advantage, do you think?

@CoastTwoCoast - I agree in that personality disorders ARE treatable. I'm glad yours has gotten better with age. I can't imagine what feeling like your always exposed is like - i'm glad you're over that stage.

For me, my symptoms have actually gotten worse with age. Mostly because i don't have a loving family to give me structure, now that i'm on my own. I'm trying to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand, and a large part of that will be getting back into my field after probation is over to keep these hands busy. But even so, coupled with Bipolar disorder.. it's difficult. Good thing i don't drink anymore. When i drink i get into trouble.

You have a good head on your shoulders. Just hold tight until you can get back into your field. The borderline personality disorder part has calmed down, but not the bipolar disorder. That's still an every day struggle and pain in the ass.

I downloaded the Bible app (You Version). It's really cool because there are different plans on there you can choose, like if you struggle with anxiety, fear, love or whatever it may be. You can choose a subject and it starts you on a 7 day reading plan of someone's book that will help you. That's been putting my mind at ease whenever I start to worry or have negative thoughts, I go to the app and read.

I got diagnosed with antisocial behavior disorder when i was like 8. Later on i got undefined personality disorder, when i was 17, because of they can't diagnose you with ASPD when you're under 18. Now i am 20 and got diagnosed antisocial personal disorder. I feel like i don't belong to society and i hate acting nice and happy all the time. I can be my true self only when i am alone.
I can relate to some of what you are going through. I'm pretty much a walking billboard for schizoid personality disorder except I don't pretend to try and hide it, most days I doubt I say 50 words a day and I work around people. I know what other people think of me, I know they don't like me and I really couldn't care less. I just want to do my own thing and be left alone, other than work I don't leave my apartment.

Diagnosed borderline personality disorder. I used to not really know what it was but then I started researching the personality traits of someone with BPD and it made sense.
Engages in risky behavior
Fear of abandonment
Idealizes family and friends/partner for a period of time
Rages out and wants nothing to do with family and friends/partner for a period of time
Lack of a sense of self
Ability to mold their personality based off of pretty much whoever their idealizing at the time (usually a partner or love interest.)
Goes through a short period of stability, and then falls back into depression.
Unlike bipolar disorder, we do not experience mania, or manic episodes

Definitely relate to the sense of self thing. Don’t really know who I am, what my strengths are, what my “calling” is, what I want to be, etc. My personality changes with the seasons too. Majority of the time, I feel like im a shell of a person trying to glide by and just play the part until i die. But some days I feel good. Idk. It’s confusing.

^ Yesss! It's an awful disorder because if you don't know who you are...if you lose your identity/sense of self, how can you have a sustainable life? It's a bitch, but I'm trying to hold on. The impulsivity and completely empty feeling has faded with age. Still, there's the fear of abandonment and relationship instability.

I just hold on, there are some good days.