L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

People come to dislike me over time

Michael_25

Bluelighter
Ever had this problem? People -- occasionally -- are polite, courteous, friendly and talkative to me. However, over time of seeing these people, their attitude towards towards me changes. They stop smiling; they stop asking me questions; they stop engaging with me.

What's worse than this, however, is that they developed a negative opinion of me. I'll see them and they will have a disdainful look on their face or they may have a smile suggestive of hidden laughter. I feel as though I'm getting treated as a second-class citizen.

This type of negative response is most likely due to my social anxiety disorder -- I always feel judged and struggle to hold a conversation without it being awkward and stilted. Therefore people think there's something wrong with me.

I'm basing this experience on my outings to my local gym. As the title of this thread states, there is a steady decline in interest, even respect, upon seeing the same faces.

Any ideas on how to handle this situation?

You will allways find people who will dislike you.
But you also will meet people who will like you, focus on them and let the others fuck themselves.

I think we all have experienced things like that, Like when you meet a person who firstly is nice with you and then it changes. Sometimes it is because of some other people doing gossip against you, other times is because you have made or said something normal to you but somehow offensive for them... who knows.

Social anxiety is a bitch, but it can be defeated.
Learn to don't give a fuck about what or what not people can or can not be thinking about you, because, at the end of the day, who cares if that particular person don't like you? Are they really that important?
They only have power on you if you allow them to have it.
When it comes to you, you are the one in control. Don't give this control to others.

I allways tend to be nice and polite, " please" " thanks" " if you don't mind" " forgive me if" are things that allways are in my mouth.
I try to be kind to everybody, but sometimes it simply doesn't work.

When I have tried to be nice to a person and such person, for any reason, dislike me I just move on. Not a second thought about them anymore. Never, as they don't deserve it at all.

Also you said you suffer because some of these dudes develope a negative mindset about you, let's be honest here: do you only have positive opinions about absolutely everybody?
Didn't you ever think positively about people and then grew to dislike them for whatever reason?
These things happen, Michael...

As for basing your experience on people you find at the gym, let me tell you, there are a lot of good people going there, but gyms are also full of unineuronal beings, narcisist self- centered folks who really can't see any further than their bíceps, so don't get those places as a reference.

You will allways find people who will dislike you.
But you also will meet people who will like you, focus on them and let the others fuck themselves.

I think we all have experienced things like that, Like when you meet a person who firstly is nice with you and then it changes. Sometimes it is because of some other people doing gossip against you, other times is because you have made or said something normal to you but somehow offensive for them... who knows.

Social anxiety is a bitch, but it can be defeated.
Learn to don't give a fuck about what or what not people can or can not be thinking about you, because, at the end of the day, who cares if that particular person don't like you? Are they really that important?
They only have power on you if you allow them to have it.
When it comes to you, you are the one in control. Don't give this control to others.

I allways tend to be nice and polite, " please" " thanks" " if you don't mind" " forgive me if" are things that allways are in my mouth.
I try to be kind to everybody, but sometimes it simply doesn't work.

When I have tried to be nice to a person and such person, for any reason, dislike me I just move on. Not a second thought about them anymore. Never, as they don't deserve it at all.

Also you said you suffer because some of these dudes develope a negative mindset about you, let's be honest here: do you only have positive opinions about absolutely everybody?
Didn't you ever think positively about people and then grew to dislike them for whatever reason?
These things happen, Michael...

As for basing your experience on people you find at the gym, let me tell you, there are a lot of good people going there, but gyms are also full of unineuronal beings, narcisist self- centered folks who really can't see any further than their bíceps, so don't get those places as a reference.
Thanks for the insightful, well-written post, Senor Moreno. Your second sentence, first paragraph, sentence should be addressed. You wrote: "But you also will meet people who will like you, focus on them and let the others fuck themselves." The problem, however, is that I cannot find anyone who truly likes me. This isn't just an at-the-gym thing -- this happens everywhere; cashiers at supermarkets, strangers with a contemptuous look as I pass by them on the streets, and so on.

Your second point: "Learn to don't give a fuck about what or what not people can or can not be thinking about you ..." This is a good mindset. However, it happens SO often that it erodes my self-esteem and self-confidence. If these were one-off occasions it wouldn't rattle me so much. But this is a near-daily occurrence. It's a snowball effect -- I'm already socially anxious and the more crap I get from people simply exacerbates the condition.

I've been told, "fake it till you make it" in the past. I've tried this but, once again, people want little to do with me after they realize how awkward and strange I am. These people genuinely believe I have some type of mental defect.

Third, you asked me this: "let's be honest here -- do you only have positive opinions about absolutely everybody?" The answer: "no". Having said that, though, I still remain respectful towards people I don't really like. I do not, insult, mock, ridicule, laugh at, etc. to anyone, even if I don't like the person. I'm extremely civil. But a lot of people don't respond in kind.

You then wrote this: "Didn't you ever think positively about people then grew to dislike them for whatever reason?" The answer is "yes". But I STILL treat those people with respect. I just try to avoid interactions with them.

As per your final sentence, it's not just the gym, though this has happened many times at the gym; I get talking to others than 2 weeks later they dislike and ridicule me due to my lack of social skills and general awkwardness.

A question for you, Senor Moreno. How often do people mock you in a week? For me, it's nearly every time I set outside the house. I try to brush off insults but it's hard. They still sting and further lower my self-esteem.

This isn't just an at-the-gym thing -- this happens everywhere; cashiers at supermarkets, strangers with a contemptuous look as I pass by them on the streets, and so on.

Imagine this: a stranger had a horrible day. His mom just died. I go to the gym after the 3rd time, and this day, he gives me a different look. I then go to the supermarket, and the cashier gives me the same look, because she hates her job.

I now believe that I'm the problem, and everywhere I go I expect this type of face, so unbeknownst to me, I actually perpetuate my own issue because some people can sense low confidence, even just walking by on the street, especially if it's so pervasive and I'm convinced it's my issue.

Positivity and confidence is contagious. So is the opposite.

Yeah, try to smile in a way to make every one feel good. And sometimes it helps to listen. Just to listen sometimes. :)
You'll be fine when you take deep breaths and realize we are all here and try to be aware. Sometimes people are so busy they can't just take it slow and realize this.
But sometimes watching the sunset and the stars is peaceful too. I hope we all can feel better today. <3

I know you are telling us what you are honestly feeling, but it is hard to believe that everybody will insult, dislike, make fun of you as soon as you put a foot in the street. Can't find a reason for that.
You shouldn't measure your self- confidence based on how you think other people think of you.
Granted, I am not a self- esteem master, like everyone I have my insecurities and doubts about myself, but I am the one and only who truly knows who am I. So I have to dissapoint myself and no other people for my self- esteem being low.
When you like a girl and she refuses you, it sure hurts, but it shouldn't harm your self- confidence.
When people dislike you, it is not good, but it is not a reason to feel you are a faliure
You asked me how many times does people mock me in a week. Well, I don't really know as they don't do it in my face, but I bet some people despise me in my back, or talk shit about me, or say " he deserves it" when I am fucked.

But I think that is the case of practically everyone. I don't know a single person liked and loved by everybody

Is it possible your social anxiety disorder is leading you to overestimate the negative feelings toward you of those you are interacting with?
I was also thinking this.

I'm what way are people openly ridiculing you? Have you had any therapy for your social anxiety? I agree about that snowball effect with the awkward smiles and the contact.

Do you have any close friends? If so maybe concentrate I'm hanging out with them?
If not then you should try and get out more, try out hobbies that require interaction with people. I know it's easier said than done, but From what I've read of your posts of late you seem like a nice guy.

Also, "gym bunnies" aren't necessarily the most friendly people in the world.

What do they insult you about exactly?

Much love, brother.

Hey, I recently posted about this in another thread as I realised the same thing about myself having a silted method of communication which a friend pointed out last year.

For me, I realised that especially in writing this stilted, formal, verbose and overly wordy manner leads people I'm talking to or debating with to form the opinion that I think I'm better than them or being condescensing.

It also happens in person.

I have a client from work who has the same problem (with both of us it's due to autism, him level 2 and me level 3) and his manner of speaking honestly makes him come across as so unbelievably obnoxious that I fundamentally understand why he is so unpopular at school even the unpopular kids want nothing to do with him, and I LIKE this kid.

It's just, the way he talks sounds prideful, boastful, conceited and arrogant. He can't help it.

Nor can I, although I'm planning on bringing it up with my speech therapist tomorrow. @n3oph7e told me that this unusual trait is her favourite autistic behaviour, so at least when I meet her in person one human will not think I'm a huge prick.

Perhaps work on using less formal words and learning to adapt your language with who you're conversing with. If you're talking to people from a lower socioeconomic background, consider making your speech far less convoluted. Higher background, you can get away with more.

Also, I've found the reason I come across much less like a condescensing asshole in speech is because I litter loads of self deprecating jokes and have a sense of humour which I've been told by a lecturer is very disarming and puts people at ease due to me taking the piss out of myself and not considering myself too seriously. Another lecturer described me as 'irreverent' meaning I joke about things typically seen to be taken seriously. So generally my stilted manner in speech is offset by my humour which warms people up to me in a way which is entirely impossible over written communication.

Do you have a unique sense of humour? Do you think you could learn to use it to set people more at ease by laughing a bit about yourself so that they get the impression that you don't take yourself as seriously as it seems at first impression?

Do you have active hormones. No I am just saying because everyone seems to act emotionally. That's all. No discontent here. <3:)

How dare you !? Oh my I thought I was in the dive. Excuse me. But this seems appropriate too.
Bye, SLR. <3:) 👍💙

I myself; find that I just rub people the wrong way. Im learning to find better friends; as one was a narcissist and an other had borderline personality. Can't fix them; but can work on myself. and choose better friends that like me for me

People play a certain game and they expect you to play it, because - damn it - they have to. If you don't socialize in a certain way, you're autistic or weird or creepy. Fitting in is easy. If you can drive a car, you can conform to social expectations. Anxious people IMO don't want to conform. This is why we don't. It's not because we can't. Then, because we're being "weird", the conformists make us feel uncomfortable. This is all part of the brainwashing recruitment process. You have to learn to ignore it.

If people don't like you because you're different, find some different people.

Hi again, everyone.

Thanks to all for the responses. Much food for thought!

S.J.B. wrote: "Is it possible your social anxiety disorder is leading you to overestimate the negative feelings toward you of those you are interacting with?" and Axe Battler wrote that he believed the same may be true. This comment came to resonate with me, as it seems to have a lot of merit. I may very well be overestimating the amount of negative responses owing to my social anxiety. I think I tend to focus and ruminate too much on body language and I have a bias that's geared negatively owing to my social anxiety disorder. I can see body language, but I can't read minds. Therefore I may be misconstruing things.

Nevertheless, I have been, and still and am, remaining cordial with everyone, even IF they genuinely dislike me. The approach I've adopted is to turn the other cheek, as the Bible says. If someone gives me a quizzical or disdainful look, I just give them a smile and a nod and continue on with my business. If people dislike me, well, that's their right. And it's NOT my problem. Taking the high road is the right approach.

Additionally, I'm actually thinking of checking out Toastmasters to tackle my social anxiety problems. Everyone at Toastmasters is there to learn so they really shouldn't be that judgmental. It sounds daunting, but doable and valuable. How best to get over social phobia than to speak in front of strangers!

Oh! Question about Toastmasters to you guys: Has anyone on BL ever been to a Toastmasters event? How was it? Was it a large group? Did you find that it helped you with shyness/social anxiety? Would be great if anyone here has some first-hand experience!

For me, I realised that especially in writing this stilted, formal, verbose and overly wordy manner leads people I'm talking to or debating with to form the opinion that I think I'm better than them or being condescensing.

It also happens in person.

This is why we don't. It's not because we can't. Then, because we're being "weird", the conformists make us feel uncomfortable. This is all part of the brainwashing recruitment process. You have to learn to ignore it.
Bunch of truths. People feel unconfortable if someone is different basically because the mere possibility of being inferior in any way enter the scene when something not normal (norm-al) happens.
People who don't want to comform with vulgar or mediocre feel bad when they feel that most people don't even think about those terms, because the "average" is their standard of "rightness".

we have been close since we were teens and I think she is so easy to get along with but she says she struggles to maintain close relationships
Yep, that happens to me, I think people end up exhausted because my level of intensity, or I end up exhausted of not being sufficiently interested/stimulated by their life narratives or drive.:cry::shrug:

Hi again, everyone.

Thanks to all for the responses. Much food for thought!

S.J.B. wrote: "Is it possible your social anxiety disorder is leading you to overestimate the negative feelings toward you of those you are interacting with?" and Axe Battler wrote that he believed the same may be true. This comment came to resonate with me, as it seems to have a lot of merit. I may very well be overestimating the amount of negative responses owing to my social anxiety. I think I tend to focus and ruminate too much on body language and I have a bias that's geared negatively owing to my social anxiety disorder. I can see body language, but I can't read minds. Therefore I may be misconstruing things.

Nevertheless, I have been, and still and am, remaining cordial with everyone, even IF they genuinely dislike me. The approach I've adopted is to turn the other cheek, as the Bible says. If someone gives me a quizzical or disdainful look, I just give them a smile and a nod and continue on with my business. If people dislike me, well, that's their right. And it's NOT my problem. Taking the high road is the right approach.

Additionally, I'm actually thinking of checking out Toastmasters to tackle my social anxiety problems. Everyone at Toastmasters is there to learn so they really shouldn't be that judgmental. It sounds daunting, but doable and valuable. How best to get over social phobia than to speak in front of strangers!

Oh! Question about Toastmasters to you guys: Has anyone on BL ever been to a Toastmasters event? How was it? Was it a large group? Did you find that it helped you with shyness/social anxiety? Would be great if anyone here has some first-hand experience!

I am happy that you are opening your eyes to other possibilities.

I wasn't trying to be rude, SJB said it best, and I'm glad he got through to you.

I guess, of there's anything else I can add to help, I'd want to say: assume people had a bad day, or are straight up stupid. People are people, wherever you go. Annoying, crazy, beautiful as well.

It's tough, giving people the benefit of the doubt. For as much as I practice this, I am also very perceptive to fuckery.

It's a very tough balance.

I'll think about this more to see if I can figure out a helpful way to illustrate it.

if someone is not sufficiently interesting on the phone I will fall asleep
I’m currently on day 3 of saying it’s just so crazy I’m processing about a convo with a friend who didn’t meet that stimulation threshold 😬😬😬
stimulation threshold sounds quite adhd..!
have you that problem/gift?:unsure::sneaky:

This feels like Star Trek Next Generation, I can't make it through 15 minutes much less a season.