View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Penis Envy vs. Golden Teacher

phantomcosmonaut

Bluelighter
Golden Teachers are the mushrooms which are usually available to me. They're average quality and average price. I usually dose 2.5g of them.
I now have access to (regular) Penis Envy, but I'm not sure if they're worth the price. The PE are 1.4x the price of the GT. Some sources claim up to 2x the potency of other P. Cubensis mushrooms, but some say they're roughly the same potency. I know that every mushroom differs, but is there a good estimate out there for a comparison of potency? I would also prefer to hear from those with experience taking Penis Envy.

Last edited:
But then why do some people say its so much stronger? And then what about Albino Penis Envy? Those are notoriously much more potent than other cubensis, so then that rule wouldn't make much sense would it?

Why would albino be more potent? That makes no sense..

People like to boast about there shrooms being so and so potent. I grew ecuadorians before. Potency was better when i grew them better.. but like he said they are the same species pretty much.

Why would albino be more potent? That makes no sense..

People like to boast about there shrooms being so and so potent. I grew ecuadorians before. Potency was better when i grew them better.. but like he said they are the same species pretty much.

Why wouldn't they be? And why doesn't that make sense? Everything I've read and heard says they're much stronger. Have you actually tried them?

I had always heard that penis envy strains were 1.5-2x more potent than other cubensis strains

I never understood why they would say that, I mean different strains of weed are stronger than others.
Obviously it greatly depends on growing technique, but there are still definite differences in potency

Don't believe what people tell you about the potency of mushrooms, there are factors that can cause potency variations from batch to batch.

Always start low and work your way up. There are people who will tell you PE are more potent and there are those who will say that a cube is a cube, but due to no scientific evidence either way, you should always take these claims with a grain of salt.

"You can always do more later, if you have not done enough... If you've done too much, you wont be doing much later"

But then why do some people say its so much stronger?

Because it's a marketing technique. Why do you get "new super strength Daz washing powder" every 6 months? Because it creates demand.

It was the same back when fresh mushrooms were being sold in the UK - you need to create a demand for what is the exact same product. So you say "Mexican cubes are more visual, Ecudoreans are righteously mellow and Cambodians are speedy". It's all bollocks.

Those are notoriously much more potent than other cubensis

Not in any actual examination of psilocybin content they arn't. If you trust the word of some kid who'se been told by his dealer "These are 10 times stronger" dude and then goes home and sure enough - "They're 10 times stronger dude".

I've taken every cubensis there is and I couldn't tell you the difference between any of them either dose wise or effect wise.

Why pay?

Golden Teachers are the mushrooms which are usually available to me. They're average quality and average price. I usually dose 2.5g of them.
I now have access to (regular) Penis Envy, but I'm not sure if they're worth the price. The PE are 1.4x the price of the GT. Some sources claim up to 2x the potency of other P. Cubensis mushrooms, but some say they're roughly the same potency. I know that every mushroom differs, but is there a good estimate out there for a comparison of potency? I would also prefer to hear from those with experience taking Penis Envy.
I don't know if I live in a good area or what have you. But I'd never pay for psylicibin mushrooms. On a good day,I can go to one field and pick 10lbs in a matter of a few hours. They're easy to find and easy to obtain a lot of if you want to do the research and put in the footwork. And they are usually premium quality cubensis. Always great visuals and super fun to be in nature. I like going up to a tree and slapping it and feeling it echo in all the surrounding trees. Hella good times on those bad boys.

They don't grow everywhere... for example where I live.

I like going up to a tree and slapping it and feeling it echo in all the surrounding trees.

How about when every single branch tip weaves together tree to tree over your head and you are aware that the trees are just showing you how their roots grow?=D

How about when every single branch tip weaves together tree to tree over your head and you are aware that the trees are just showing you how their roots grow?=D

Aren't trees just the most AMAZING things on hallucinogens? I love a good tree when I'm tripping. Sometimes if the trails and tracers are just so, they look like inverted lightning balls if the wind is blowing. Plus, I like the fact that for about a week after a good trip, all the twigs and leaves more closely resemble green octopus tentacles! :D

I think usually Penis Envy is actually like 1.5 times as potent on average, being mutants - however mutants often are unreliable, not in the least in the crops - sometimes they do very badly to grow. Potency can always vary with natural products like these - I am not saying that penis envy varies more... but the bad crops suggest that the genetics are a bit fragile from the mutations.

Of about all the other strains, almost all if different are different races (like different human races) found around the globe or products from crossing race strains. There can be different tendencies (a lot of small shrooms vs few big ones usually) and genetics, but not actually mutants which in human terms would be more like a family in which everyone has inherited genetic mutations causing bodily differences.

The 'races' are interesting but not really relevant to most people - you can get different appearances but generally they are the same under the hood so it is inconsequential. If vendors advertise it as being really different in effect, that is a marketing ploy since nobody ever proved that different alkaloid constitutions actually have noticeable consequences on subjective effect, thus making claims is exaggerating the differences between the races.

The mutants being different in potency is technically believable, apparently an unexpected side-effect from breeding mutant specimen with gnarly looks, and anecdotal evidence supports it, plus potency is an empirical property unlike 'tendency to produce visuals' vs a philosophical trip.

Another 'mutation' is leucism which is usually called albinism but is not true albinism. But low on or free of pigment, making white mushrooms... is also not consequential on potency or alkaloid content as far as anyone knows.

Weed can not be compared if only because Indica and Sativa hybridization can have a lot of effects whereas Cubensis has not really been hybridized. Such a thing has mythical status and has been claimed a few times, but I don't think there is a strain really considered a hybrid. B+ was claimed to be like that but it was not true.

It is apparently quite hard to normally breed difference in potency as an inheritable trait - the mutation of PE appears to have achieved it, but like I said: most strains sold are just different races where the species adapted differently to the environment when it spread across continents in regions with the proper conditions (sub/tropical?) but that does not have to mean that their metabolism of alkaloids adapted differently.
Sometimes though (rarely) there are niche adaptations.

Long story short: I am not really sure about the figure 1.5x potency but IMO the different price is not unreasonable. It has never been scientifically verified though, but PE is one of the few strains (I wouldn't know the possible few others) that has actually been reported to be more potent and by that I mean often enough that you might wanna take the anecdotal evidence seriously.

Last edited:
Cubensis definitely vary a lot in potency, but as people say here, it'll vary loads within the same species. Even flush for flush from the same mycelium mass, ime. The only vague pointer I've noticed is to check the stem where you snap the shroom. The deeper the blue it bruises, the more potent the shroom (could be rubbish but that's what I always went with). Even if that is a thing, it of course won't work unless you're picking them fresh.

Seems unlikely that the average person would get some remotely reliable info from bruising... there are more indole compounds that bruise, and who can really compare the shades and discount the darkening from oxidation?

Cubensis varies in potency, but that does not matter if the question is about whether Penis Envy be different on average.

Seems unlikely that the average person would get some remotely reliable info from bruising... there are more indole compounds that bruise, and who can really compare the shades and discount the darkening from oxidation?

Cubensis varies in potency, but that does not matter if the question is about whether Penis Envy be different on average.
Fair enough, as mentioned I thought it tenuous at best. The real deep blue ones just seemed to be the best, maybe they were just bigger. I can't offer any opinion on penis envy, I always thought eating shrooms with a name and look like that might end with a real weird themed trip.. :D

Generally if indicators can really be applied I would not stand in their way, but I just think that relying on a bruising test can be more harmful than not having it to rely on... I'd say looking at bruising is too uncertain, but I'm not 100% sure - if somehow you learned to read bruising with enough accuracy to feel confident then respect, but it does not seem wise otherwise :) p ) if only because you would have to learn by trial and error - hardly something to recommend.
That's the explanation for being apprehensive..

Generally if indicators can really be applied I would not stand in their way, but I just think that relying on a bruising test can be more harmful than not having it to rely on... I'd say looking at bruising is too uncertain, but I'm not 100% sure - if somehow you learned to read bruising with enough accuracy to feel confident then respect, but it does not seem wise otherwise :) p ) if only because you would have to learn by trial and error - hardly something to recommend.
That's the explanation for being apprehensive..
Fair play mate. For the vast majority of people it would be useless anyway, it only works of you're lucky enough to be able to pick them off the mass.