• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Talk Thread: Somatic Swirly Sepia Summer Sausage Stage Set Suppository

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also I highly recommend the new Joe Rogan podcast with Russell Brand. Two of my most highly-regarded people rapping together. About an hour and 40 minutes into it Russell goes into one of his classic rants. It's beautiful.

Some interesting political discussion here. I just woke up so not sure I can contribute quite yet... it's a miasma of craziness all over the world. I prefer to deal with it by not thinking about it too much and focusing on my local world, which is pretty sweet at the moment.

I've been building screen doors for all of my doors that don't have them... I have 2 sets of french doors that I haven't been able to have open because they didn't have screens. I also don't have air conditioning so it's been getting pretty hot in here. I got the set built and installed on the front and it's made such a big difference... yesterday I got all the pieces cut and polyurethaned for the back set and hopefully today I'll get them put together and installed and I can have a fully breezy house again. :)

It sucks though because yesterday I hurt my bottom of my right foot fairly significantly, in the stupidest possible way. I was in my pantry yesterday morning and I sudden;y felt myself step on something. I pulled back but not before it cut me. It was a fucking PBR 40-oz bottle cap, with the sharp edge up, and it sliced a full half circle in the front part of the bottom of my foot, seriously like a quarter of an inch deep, like a razor blade. I've got a massive limp now... it's pretty gnarly. It's actually the worst I've ever hurt the bottom of my foot, which is really kind of humorous because I've spent countless hours barefoot river hiking, jumping around boulders and shit, and never hurt my feet, but a damn bottle cap has laid me low! 8)

We have our national election this Saturday....my extreme disappointment in my country (nay, the world) is sure to peak soon! I have very little faith in my fellow country(wo)men not to fuck this up, again.

^^ Gah... ouch. A few weeks ago I had a close call - I stepped on a thumbtack. Luckily I was wearing thick inserts in my shoes, and the tack just barely penetrated the sole of my shoe without touching my foot.

Yeah, I wish I could contribute more to the political discussions, but the truth of the matter is that I choose not to spend very much time thinking about politics, so I don't have much of an opinion.

I'm usually pretty good at being optimistic, but for some reason right now I have a dreadful, unshakable fear that society is rigged so that I have to wind up grinding away my life in the rat race. Ughhh. :( (Maybe if I spend more time educating myself about politics, I could exercise my democratic privileges to vote a better system into power. Heh.)

I know how you feel TAC. All too often it's quite clearly a case of Democracy Inc. with little place for actual democracy. There no question the current party in power here has fucked things up royally, some seemingly beyond repair like our NBN (fibre broadband infrastructure project)...yet there's still the possibility (at least as some seem to think) that they'll somehow remain in power after the weekend. The fact that's even of remote concern is extremely worrying; how utterly ignorant and blind can some country's voting population be?!

I'm usually pretty good at being optimistic, but for some reason right now I have a dreadful, unshakable fear that society is rigged so that I have to wind up grinding away my life in the rat race. Ughhh.

I feel the same. Most of the time I feel optimistic about my life and my individual pursuits. But when I think about politics, and society, and the future of mankind I can't shake the darkest of thoughts off my head. And when I remember that individuality is an illusion, and that my life is actually connected to all of mankind and society my optimism turns quickly into despair. I dream of a better world, and I believe I make my decisions with that dream in mind, but keeping the faith is hard.

Y'all motherfuckers need Marxism.

Sincerely,
Your friendly neighborhood tankie

I know how you feel TAC. All too often it's quite clearly a case of Democracy Inc. with little place for actual democracy. There no question the current party in power here has fucked things up royally, some seemingly beyond repair like our NBN (fibre broadband infrastructure project)...yet there's still the possibility (at least as some seem to think) that they'll somehow remain in power after the weekend. The fact that's even of remote concern is extremely worrying; how utterly ignorant and blind can some country's voting population be?!

Yeah I feel that way too. So many people here vote purely based on political party regardless of the candidate's suitability or policies. Take Trump... it's like, how the fuck do you support a guy for president who has never held any political office and whose biggest claim to fame is reality TV? And even more appalling, I met a muslim dude who was fervently supporting Trump despite his openly stating that he wants to build a wall around the country to stop any further immigration and send muslims already in the country back across the ocean.

But I guess xenophobia is the platform of all sorts of conservative politicians around the world right now...

That's why I don't even really follow politics. Half the people I talk to about it(usually not willingly either...:X;))either clearly have no idea what their talking about or are regurgitating some spiel they heard from CNN.

Yeah I feel the same way. My grandma always wants to talk politics but it's painful because she just regurgitates the fearmongering they spew all over Fox news. Most people seem fanatically loyal to the party they associate themselves with and there seems to be little actual critical thought going on. The whole thing is a shit show, and thinking about it just bums me out.

My dad plays a lot of conservative talk radio, so whenever we're driving somewhere together I get to hear a good bit of that. People certainly are fanatically loyal to their party. The two-party system here in the States strikes me as two tribes of hunter-gatherers viciously battling each other out of a pure warrior instinct, rather than two opposing philosophical perspectives. Those radio shows are always generalizing and slandering "the liberals", accusing them of stupidity, nearsightedness, corruption, and just about every other evil, even going so far as to call them names like "cockroaches".

If you're dividing up the entire spectrum of political viewpoints into a grand total of TWO camps, liberal and conservative, then surely these words paint with a very broad brush -- surely these two camps are themselves filled with great diversity of opinion. It must be a mistake to make generalizations of such a massive, diverse group of people?

People seem to want to line up all political views on a one-dimensional axis, ranging from liberal to moderate to conservative. I think there must be many, many, dimensions. You can't measure the beauty of Michelangelo's sculptures with a ruler.

how utterly ignorant and blind can some country's voting population be?!

Well... is it really the ignorance of the voting population? Or is Democracy Inc. fudging the numbers for its own purposes? Maybe we can still hold onto a shred of hope for the general public.

Last edited:
I totally agree that the two-party system in this country is broken (as you seem to suggest). The powers that be have used the media to create this simplistic and divisive system, in order to get votes and placate the people in the face of their abuses of power. They've appropriated the political system for their own ends in order to create an environment where they can spew out some buzz words on hot-topic issues and get people all riled up and blindly supportive, to ensure they can pillage the country to gain further power and wealth without the majority even noticing it's happening.

Yeah I never got that really. How can you just be totally one way or the other on every single issue? Especially because your supposed to identify with a certain party?!? Where's the subjectivity mannnnn?

Totally on board with ya'll the system needs a radical readjustment...too bad the mainstream media has covered it's bases by using the word 'radical' only in the context of radical religious extremism, I.e. terrorists. So yeah apparently Bernie supporters are terrorists now.

I remember post-9/11, the right-wing side used the term "libsurgents" to describe liberals. Insanity.

The powers that be have used the media to create this simplistic and divisive system

The fact that the media succeeded in this endeavor should reflect poorly on the people, considering how easily they're willing to buy into it.

How can you just be totally one way or the other on every single issue?

Exactly. I mean, what if I were a pro-life gun owner? I'd be a filthy liberal and a conservative hick at the same time. That would be a pretty lonely place. ;)

Bunch of kids want to use my barn/farm for a "rave". I was considering it until they said they'd "split the profits".

No thanks.

Man with the garbage sold as MDMA/LSD now a days I wouldn't want a bunch of kids throwing a rave on my property!

Status
Not open for further replies.