• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Panic Attack from Adderall Binge + Marijuana

earn success

Greenlighter
During finals week I took a good amount of Adderall in a 24 hour period, and then proceeded to smoke a good amount of weed to combat the comedown. Instead of mellowing out, I had a panic attack in which I became paranoid about everything. For example my friends were talking about kids with bad haircuts and I tripped out and assumed they were implying I had a bad haircut. This sounds petty, but inside my head I was incredibly paranoid. Every action anyone around me took or that I took seemed to cause me anxiety. Either way I went back home to try and sleep and instead of falling asleep I thought I was having a heart attack. This was the first time I ever had a panic attack and at the time I remember it being the scariest experience of my life.

My problem is I cannot smoke anymore without becoming paranoid. When I rip, initially I will get really excited from being high and everything seems fine, then I start watching a TV show or something, and out of nowhere I'll start tripping out about small worries that I have. For instance I will overanalyze a comment that I just made. And honestly I have no serious worries, but when I smoke any little problem seem magnified tenfold. Instead of DOING things, I simply analyze everything in my head. Every thought that I have echos in my head like I am tripping, a running commentary of my thoughts that is hard to stop. When I am sober I do not enjoy life as much as I used to, but that may or may not have to do with this.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Will the anxiety ever go away?

Thanks.

It doesn’t go away...

I still have GAD... I can still take stimulants, but I can’t smoke weed anymore without sedatives

^ Yup, smoking weed with a low tolerance can bring on anxious thoughts, especially thought-loop obsessive patterns, ime

Also, amphetamines are terrible drugs to abuse. If you absolutely must abuse them, you are best off taking less than 10mg Adderall IR at a time, since the Levoamphetamine (28% of Adderall, the rest is 72% Dextroamphetmine) aspect of the drug causes intense, unwanted PNS stimulation, especially when abused, so seek out some Dexedrine (pure Dextroamp), or just quit these stupid, hedonistic amphetamines (when abused).

Taking less than 10-15mg daily of Dexedrine or Adderall or 30mg daily of Vyvanse can be helpful for those who actually have ADD in their prefrontal cortex, otherwise, when you attain euphoria, insomnia, appetite inhibition, and anxiety from amphetamines, it means your dosage is far too high, therapeutically, via excess dopamine in the PFCortex, which is also the way amphetamines cause neurotoxicity via dopamine autoxidation, which literally curls back the dopamine receptors and kills them off, one of the way the body maintains homeostasis.

I believe its actually a clean 25/75 l/d. Just FYI, 17.5mg Dexedrine is approximately equivalent to 20mg adderall is about equal to 50mg vyvanse.

I've been smoking meth for about 3 years now but only really got into weed a year ago. Everything you mentioned was pretty much the same for me. It doesn't really go away while your taking both amps and weed so I decided to cut one of them off which was the meth seeing as you can't really do that for years and years without it fucking you up anyway.

Most of the time I was mixing the two and gradually my social paranoia was getting worse - I became more paranoid around friends than people I didn't even know. At the time I didn't realise it was the drugs and thought there was some huge inside joke about me, and it just snow-balled to the point where I lost all my mates and couldn't trust anyone.

Weed can turn on people, causing anxiety and paranoia out of the blue. Happened to me and plenty of others I know. Adding stimulants to the equation makes this all the more likely to happen. Both drugs increase heart rate, which can feel like a heart attack or panic attack. Reduce the doses of both or avoid combining them and see if that helps.

I nearly got hooked on Adderrall until this panic attack which straightened me out. I don't take it anymore and never plan to again. Thank you for the replies - I do not want to mix weed with any anti-anxiety medication so I think instead I will just smoke less.

I can't enjoy cannabis unless i've taken a Benzo, so I don't smoke. Sometimes its just time to leave it for a while.

I nearly got hooked on Adderrall until this panic attack which straightened me out. I don't take it anymore and never plan to again. Thank you for the replies - I do not want to mix weed with any anti-anxiety medication so I think instead I will just smoke less.

Excellent...If 50% of paranoid people used your simple wisdom, there would probably be 75% less tortured post's.

^ Yup, smoking weed with a low tolerance can bring on anxious thoughts, especially thought-loop obsessive patterns, ime

Also, amphetamines are terrible drugs to abuse. If you absolutely must abuse them, you are best off taking less than 10mg Adderall IR at a time, since the Levoamphetamine (28% of Adderall, the rest is 72% Dextroamphetmine) aspect of the drug causes intense, unwanted PNS stimulation, especially when abused, so seek out some Dexedrine (pure Dextroamp), or just quit these stupid, hedonistic amphetamines (when abused).

Adderall's racemate of dextro and levoamphetamine is a pure 25% levoamphetamine and a pure 75% dextroamphetamine. This cannot be changed due to strict FDA regulations. If it's 1% off, the whole batch gets thrown out.

Anyways, while I agree that it's not a good idea to abuse drugs - there are far worse things to abuse than Amphetamines. Amphetamines have shown to improve long term cognitive function at high and even supratherapeutic doses respectively. I personally like the PNS stimulation. It lets me know I'm still under the influence and that gives me a strong placebo - which boosts it's effects.

This is incredibly odd to hear. I've been taking amphetamines for years at a time (without missing a single dose a day), and I never had any discontinuation problems. And that seems to be the general consensus between prescribed users of stimulant drugs. But good on ya for smoking weed less. It's much better to just use less than take a benzo which could potentially have it's own dependence problems.

Last edited:
amphetamines alone can cause SEVERE panic attacks and anxiety, and all the worrying thoughts and insecurities when ur coming down from it. marijuana itself can cause panic attacks and extreme anxiety (for example, when i smoke pot, i get paranoid, i feel like everyone im around is looking at me waiting for me to make convo, or looking at every single body language i give off and think there judging me, i just feel super insecure and shy and pot makes me think of my problems more! funny, drugs are supposed to make u not think about ur problems, but marijuana for some reason i cant use anymore, i used to love it when i first did it at 15, after i turned 16, i started getting all these horrible side effects from weed..i cant even smoke pot with my wife of 5 years (and mother of my two kids) i get so paranoid i feel like she is even judging me or thinking im a weirdo or really sees what a loser i really am...so using marijuana for an adderall comedown can cause a huge disaster and triple your comedown shit feeling..i can only smoke pot when i mix it with other drugs, even with that i still get weird..i like smoking pot while im high on addys and about to have sex with my girl, cause the stimulation of the adderall makes the sex 100x more pleasurable, and plus the weed making my imagination go deep makes it so much more sensual and spiritual, but then again, sometimes i dont get the good combo mix and it backfires...marijuana is not a good drug to use for adderall period, if you have negative effects from marijuana to begin with..does anyone know why marijuana has this phenomenon effect? i always had positive effects on it, then poof one year later i became "allergic" to it, and its awful cuz marijuana WAS a great high...

It occurs often for me, but goes away as quickly as it came. The more I smoke (after a break) the less negative side effects.

Cannabis is weird stuff, you can smoke it every day for two years straight with zero problems, take a one or two week break, and get almost full blown bouts of anxiety and paranoia. Happens to me often, I haven't smoked in two days, and I bet the next time I do, I get super high.

For those of you who get anxiety from pot, does it makes a difference whether you smoke it or eat it? For me, smoking it always leads to anxiety (w/ or w/o stims). But when I consume baked goods, it has the complete opposite effect and chills me out nicely. Anybody else get this?

Ive read many things about how to combat a amphetamine comedown and lots of people swear by smoking some pot. In fact, Good pot is suppossed to help relieve anxiety and stress in my experience. Its the low grade weed that makes you all crazy and popping up off your couch to look out the window like a damn gopher every five minutes. I have had two amphetamine induced panic attacks and unfortuantly its like once you have one..... the more prone you are to have another (kinda like seizures) or so i have heard, So that now I have anxiety about all kinds of things I never use to. I personally love smoking weed ... but only by itself or with some alcohol. I did it twice with amps and both times I ended up on google trying to reassure myself I wasn't about to die LOL... ahhh if only I knew then what I know now :p I think you will definantly be able to enjoy marijuana again. Just lay off the speed for awhile and make sure its some good green ;) And a beer or two to take the edge off wouldn't hurt!

I use rx amphs On occasion to pull all nighters at work. You really need to pay attention to your mind when fucking with them.

A year ago, MDMA gave me about 6 months of constant DR. Im fine now but if I over do it with dex, I get thrown down a wild loop of anxiety and DR. No fun. A good indica helps take off the edge.

For those of you who get anxiety from pot, does it makes a difference whether you smoke it or eat it? For me, smoking it always leads to anxiety (w/ or w/o stims). But when I consume baked goods, it has the complete opposite effect and chills me out nicely. Anybody else get this?

Dunno, been awhile since I ate any strong stuff. I think most of the anxiety is mediated by the racing thoughts and tachycardia, for me anyway. An anti-hypertensive like clonidine would probably remove the anxious feeling instantly.

Also, smoking is more direct to the brain than injection (arterial vs venous), smoking cannabis leads to tachycardia due to a |\ slope. Instant come-up, often quite strong with good weed, which seems to be all there is anyway. When you eat cannabis it is more of a long drawn out n shape. I think that massive change that quickly usually does it for me.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Will the anxiety ever go away?

Thanks.

I have had anxiety the last few times I smoked mj. Been a few years, but I remember trying different batches, to see if it was the strain or quality. I did notice that if I plowed through it, and smoked on a regular basis, that the anxiety lessened after a few days of regular smoking. Still wasn't as chill. My solution has been to stop smoking at least for the time being. It sucks because I used to love smoking, but on the other hand it's one less thing to worry about with law enforcement etc..

The stimulants are definitely adding to the paranoia and can also exacerbate or initiate a panic attack from what would otherwise be general paranoia or lower-level panic-y thoughts. Don't mix them anymore if you want to avoid this effect, or else try taking a benzo (I'd say 1mg of lorazepam or .5-1mg alprazolam) shortly beforehand in order to avoid racing paranoid thoughts. It should help lower your overall level of anxiety and makes more sense than not taking stimulants for an entire day if you're prescribed them and need them to function normally.