• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

*OxyContin - easy to stop

After a serious accident (the other 5 died), shards of metal went through my legs so I am held together with surgical steel... well sort of. Several of the screws have broken and so that results in pain. I still walk (with 2 crutches) and often 'seize up. i.e. cannot take another step. BUT the key reason I take the pills is that often I cannot get out of bed, Sounds ;ha ha' funny but it means I couldn't manage my life, couldn't get to appointments, couldn't meet friends and was more or less housebound.

So, living alone the 2 options were pain pills or winding up in a military rehabilitation centre (although not for rehabilitation - to live there for the rest of my life. That would have been a living death,

I still haven't touched my OxyContin. I admit I take the odd dihydrocodeine tablet (I've had boxes for years) but always, always cutting down.

I concluded that if you take an opioid for years, it no longer stops pain - your pain is back, but now you have a habit. Codeine & DHC are [P] medicines here but I do not plan on getting more.

So it's now been a week since I took oxycodone and no problem... or at least no withdrawal. My goal is to make it to next month wtihout touching the stuff. DHC is only 1/20th the potency of oxycodone but I'm not clean until I stop taking it.

But all in all - if you stick to just swallowing the pills whole, PxyCodone isn't that bad. It's people crushing them and then swallowing, snorting or shooting them that makes them so dangerous.

That said - I sill think Physeptone is a better option. 10mg [TID{ or 15mg [BID] is as potent as 80mg of OxyContin a day,,,,
So sorry to hear about your accident.
Think carefully about Physeptone, Fertile. You will need at least 3 doses a day, methadone's pain killing action is very short compared to its half life. It works, but is is a very hard drug. If you dose 30 mgs for 2 years and quit cold like you did with oxy, I think you would be in a worse place than with oxy. A methadone wd is hard and very long. If oxy works, why awakening the beast methadone is?

Again, don't totally trust conversion charts, I also have read that DHC is 1/12 morphine but that's simply not true. Like 150 mgs DHC only= 10 mgs morphine? No way, just no way. If you were to feed the person who wrote the chart with 450 mgs DHC for a solid amount of time and then you switch him/ her to 30 mgs morphine, fucker would not be happy, believe me.

Edit, I meant I've read DHC= 1/12 - 1/15 morphine. That's why I compared 30 morph or 450 dhc

But all in all - if you stick to just swallowing the pills whole, PxyCodone isn't that bad. It's people crushing them and then swallowing, snorting or shooting them that makes them so dangerous.
It dangerous if you're a person like me who just uses them for the high, but the safest as its the only Pharma grade thing you can actually take and know the exact amount of the drug you're taking. H is different batch to batch I personally have never done it , I would be too scared I would like it too much but how would you ever know the true purity of that unless you analytically test it. Anyway I actually am taking a tolerance break right now so I don't have to take 80mg to get high and can start with a more affordable 20mg high. Here in the US its 1$ a mg and no expectations so it is what it is. Still if they would loosen the restriction son Oxy itself, we would see less fucking people doing H.

To be honest, I find a lot of contradictions to what you say.

You said the reason you took so much OxyContin for 2 years is because
I am held together with surgical steel... well sort of. Several of the screws have broken and so that results in pain. I still walk (with 2 crutches) and often 'seize up. i.e. cannot take another step. BUT the key reason I take the pills is that often I cannot get out of bed, Sounds ;ha ha' funny but it means I couldn't manage my life, couldn't get to appointments, couldn't meet friends and was more or less housebound.
Yet you’ve been able to stop 80mg cold turkey with little to no withdrawal and you’re fine enough to continue not using it?

So you were so addicted that you clearly experienced OIH (I’m sure you know what this stands for, you continue to use BID when it’s uncommon and unnecessary). You also state you’ve actually been taking some DHC which could actually be working better for you due to your own drug metabolism and also why you haven’t experienced severe withdrawal.

Your experiment really has told you nothing. You’ve “learnt” that opioids don’t help with pain long term? We’ve had studies that have said that for years, it’s why Drs don’t like giving them out for chronic pain, see my reference to OIH.

This is absolutely untrue, the ROA does not make any difference to whether you become physically addicted to a drug. There are many many different factors that cause addiction (both physical and psychological) but people will become physically addicted to a drug if taken for a certain period of time, whether that use is as directed or not.

You surely know how studies are conducted, you know the meaning of n=1 I assume? Now, I am more involved in this type of trial due to my current field of study which is pharmacogenomics and if you really felt little/no withdrawal to oxy then I would conclude it’s due to your drug metabolism (see my comment about your use of DHC). It’s something that we don’t see a lot of evidence of. Of course there are plenty of people who just don’t get psychologically addicted and can happily put themselves through physical withdrawal to get off drugs (Irish farmers come to mind, typically stubborn men who would work through broken bones).

Even so, I cannot help thinking that Physeptone (5mg methadone tablets) might be a better option for a long-acting opioid.
Absolutely not, methadone is not given for so many reasons of which you already know. It would be madness to put a chronic pain patient on methadone without trying literally everything else first.

Yeah, experience...I think you may have had a very troubling experience if you would of quit the codeine at the same time. Shit I would feel great if I had that to fall back on..also methadone is not a good idea friend, especially if oxy is doing the job. I can tell you right now that I'm smelling a foul hint of denial. Just like a good friend of mine, who "never gets withdrawal" although he's definitely a fiend and have personally seen him rattling after high dose Tramadol abuse..still he claimed he had got sick from something else, not the drugs. No it's never the drugs.

Well, a week passes. I have to admit that I have tot had to venture from my home. I don't miss OxyContin and in fact my appetite has improved. But I WILL have to go out and so I admit that I will take 1 tablet with me. I freeze up - cannot take a single step. Years ago, this meant an ambulance had to pick me up as I cannot get into a car or a taxi.

But if I can get home without it, I won't take one.

I have to admit that without the drugs, I feel much more alive. I LIKE to feel alive and so I have a good reason not to use them,

In the top drawer of my desk are boxes and boxes of OxyContin - 112 in total... and I also like to have those unopened boxes as they represent a victory. So I'm keen to see if I can manage without them, It's a good feeling.

I was never addicted - in fact I got severe side-effects i.e. anxiety, disturbed sleep, constipation and so on. So my body has been recovering from those issues.

But I realise that instead of just being told to take OxyContin [BID] FOREVER, I would be better to ask for oxycodone IR and only use as required. After all, the IR makes about 76% bioavailable, the SR only 50% (ish) so I would need less.

But UK doctors seem to prefer the SR because they believe it's less likely to produce dependence. I even ASKED for IR but far fewer (say 14 x 40mg IR) so I would have much less... but to no avail. Oh, and UK doctors no longer like to give codeine or dihydrocodeine... 'because they are addictive'. Far be it for me to call them idiots, but they are idiots.

So if IMUST have an SR formulation. I note that 80mg of OxyContin/dsy has the analgesic activity of 30mg of methadone/daily. Initially given [TID] (i.e. 10mg 3 times a day) which is reduced to [BID] i.e. 15mg twice a day.

I was never addicted - in fact I got severe side-effects i.e. anxiety, disturbed sleep, constipation and so on. So my body has been recovering from those issues.

But I realise that instead of just being told to take OxyContin [BID] FOREVER, I would be better to ask for oxycodone IR and only use as required. After all, the IR makes about 76% bioavailable, the SR only 50% (ish) so I would need less.

But UK doctors seem to prefer the SR because they believe it's less likely to produce dependence. I even ASKED for IR but far fewer (say 14 x 40mg IR) so I would have much less... but to no avail. Oh, and UK doctors no longer like to give codeine or dihydrocodeine... 'because they are addictive'. Far be it for me to call them idiots, but they are idiots.

So if IMUST have an SR formulation. I note that 80mg of OxyContin/dsy has the analgesic activity of 30mg of methadone/daily. Initially given [TID] (i.e. 10mg 3 times a day) which is reduced to [BID] i.e. 15mg twice a day.
You were physically addicted though, that’s why you had withdrawals even though you say they weren’t that bad.

Also, UK Drs are still very much handing out codeine although it’s cocodamol on a three month basis for non chronic pain patients. They are also happy to prescribe opioid IR PRN meds to chronic pain patients who are happy to go through the pain management program. How you ever got OXY is beyond me, tapentadol would be far more appropriate as a PRN.

here's a better question then this...if im taking oxycodone in any from and I want to lower my tolerance, can I just not take any for a day and come back and take a super low dose and get the effect I would off a higher dose.

Example person A takes 200mg a day through the day
Stops for 30 hours and takes 40mg IR will I get high?
Exapmle B person takes 80mg three times a day everyday for 3 months
stops fort 2 days, can he drop down to 40mg three times a day without any problems

I get bad withdrawals when im taking crazy amounts within 8 hours id say and 12 and im feeling like shit

Almost no doctor in the UK has used tapentadol. It was only introduced in 1996 in spite of the fact that it was developed in German over 20 years before.

I'm not going to go through some long list but it's taken doctors 21 years before they considered oxycodone.

Far be it from me to assume I know more than the pain clinic, but these people have some fairly able people. The fact I could just STOP suggests no physical dependency and the fact I don't miss it suggests that dependence isn't a big problem,

Having a tablet in my pocket is generally enough assurance (if needed I have it) to feel I don't have to worry about seizing up.

The fact I could just STOP suggests no physical dependency
This may be true for you but others (and federal governments) find this to be just the opposite and highly addictive and have even granted multi-million/billion dollar lawsuits against the pharmaceutical companies, doctors and even pharmacies: Even to this day.

Almost no doctor in the UK has used tapentadol. It was only introduced in 1996 in spite of the fact that it was developed in German over 20 years before.

I'm not going to go through some long list but it's taken doctors 21 years before they considered oxycodone.

Far be it from me to assume I know more than the pain clinic, but these people have some fairly able people. The fact I could just STOP suggests no physical dependency and the fact I don't miss it suggests that dependence isn't a big problem,

Having a tablet in my pocket is generally enough assurance (if needed I have it) to feel I don't have to worry about seizing up.
Well the use it now, in fact it’s definitely the recommended opioid due to the fact it’s less likely to be abused.

Also, you stopped but you still had withdrawals, you mentioned them in your OP which suggests physically dependency. You’re not super human, everyone who is on an opioid for a certain time will be physically dependent on it. There’s absolutely no shame in that. That’s why we as Drs taper people down. I’m glad you didn’t have severe withdrawals but you also admitted taking DHC so…