• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

*OxyContin - easy to stop

Fertile

Bluelighter
I decided to find out just how dependant my body had become to 40mg OxyContin [BID]. I had presumed that it would pose a serious issue with the full gamut of symptoms given the many reports on BL.

So I got my prescription last Wednesday and simply didn't unseal the boxes.

Some anxiety, aches and pains and of course the pain produced by my produces returned with interest. But a week later and other than the pain the Oxy was prescribed to treat... transitory insomnia was the only troubling effect. And now that has gone - I just got 16 hours of sleep which I needed, so I feel good.

But I did stick to swallowing the tablets whole. I didn't experiment with crushing them up before swallowing or going on to snort, plug or inject the powdered tablets.

I'm quite pleased with that and I'm keen to see if I can keep going.

I conclude that if taken as instructed, OxyContin isn't an inherently bad medicine but when the ROAis modified, it seemingly has the power to produced serious dependence issues. I know that the US formulation of OxyContin was changed 4 times to prevent abuse (if someone can think of a more appropriate term, I would be pleased to know it).

But unless there is some symptom that I WILL get but which hasn't tuned up yet, it's OK.

Even so, I cannot help thinking that Physeptone (5mg methadone tablets) might be a better option for a long-acting opioid. Like OxyContin it can be given [BID] and 30mg/day of Physeptone equates to 80mg/day of OxyContin. There is no advantage in messing with the drug since it's just as active orally.

I'm just 1 person and so maybe other really do struggle to stop using OxyContin but I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of withdrawal issues.

I'm very tempted to just start collecting sealed boxes. I cannot see myself selling them or even giving them away... I just like to know that I have a convenient exit strategy ;-)

How long have your been on the prescription? You mean 80mg daily? We don’t use BID in Ireland or uk.

You are indeed just one person and you know how to read a study, right? You surely know what I’m going to say next?

Last edited:
How long were you taking it? 40 mg per day is not that high. If taken for < 3 months AND you're nervous system isn't primed for opiate withdrawal from multiple incidents of opioid discontinuation after lengthy periods of use, than it wouldn't be that bad for anyone. Change the aforementioned variables and your experience would be quite different.

How long were you taking it? 40 mg per day is not that high. If taken for < 3 months AND you're nervous system isn't primed for opiate withdrawal from multiple incidents of opioid discontinuation after lengthy periods of use, than it wouldn't be that bad for anyone. Change the aforementioned variables and your experience would be quite different.
He was using 80mg per day, BID is Latin for bis in die which means twice a day.

I've been on this dose for 2 years. Before that I was prescribed 30mg of oxycodone [BID] and 240mg of codeine. In fact, I freely admit that the mixture was actually more effective but my GP vouchsafed that 'codeine is addictive'. I swear that doctors are much mistaken when it comes to the prescription of opioids.

I looked at a dose conversion table and 80mg of OxyContin per day equates to 30mg of methadone. I like the idea of methadone because it doesn't rely on a sustained-release formulation. The T½ of methadone is 8 hours (for oxycodone it's 2.5 hours) so 10mg [TID] so it naturally has a long duration of action.

Of course, while normethadone does prevent abstinence syndrome hence it being given once a day for the treatment of dependence, normethadone isn't an analgesic. That is why for pain it's given [TID] or [BID]. In practice, for the first month it's given [TID} and then dropped to [BID].

To be clear, for pain, methadone comes in the form of Physeptone tablets. These are tiny (6mg by 2.5mm) white tablets:

https://ibb.co/0hGCNL4

It also has little to no abuse potential. OK if someone is in withdrawal, THEN it may be of interest... but NOBODY would take it for fun.

Oh - and of course orally methadone only has 44-76% bioavailability (isn't that a HUGE range???) but I guess that crazy people could theoretically crush and snort or even wash and shoot. But not for me. I little glass bottle with 168 x 5mg physeptone tablets is also convenient. OK OxyContin isn't THAT bulky, but when I spent time with friends in Utrecht, I did have to lug around 6 boxes of the stuff and the Dutch airport security DID ring my GP. Lucky the doctor was in or I could have been there for days !!!!

If one has zero history of opioid dependency nor have experienced withdrawal in the past, it is possible for some people to get away with stuff like this.

Personally, even taken in this fashion (whole, as prescribed), abruptly stopping 80mg/day of oxycodone would leave me quite ill.

I've been on this dose for 2 years. Before that I was prescribed 30mg of oxycodone [BID] and 240mg of codeine. In fact, I freely admit that the mixture was actually more effective but my GP vouchsafed that 'codeine is addictive'. I swear that doctors are much mistaken when it comes to the prescription of opioids.

I looked at a dose conversion table and 80mg of OxyContin per day equates to 30mg of methadone. I like the idea of methadone because it doesn't rely on a sustained-release formulation. The T½ of methadone is 8 hours (for oxycodone it's 2.5 hours) so 10mg [TID] so it naturally has a long duration of action.

Of course, while normethadone does prevent abstinence syndrome hence it being given once a day for the treatment of dependence, normethadone isn't an analgesic. That is why for pain it's given [TID] or [BID]. In practice, for the first month it's given [TID} and then dropped to [BID].

To be clear, for pain, methadone comes in the form of Physeptone tablets. These are tiny (6mg by 2.5mm) white tablets:

https://ibb.co/0hGCNL4

It also has little to no abuse potential. OK if someone is in withdrawal, THEN it may be of interest... but NOBODY would take it for fun.

Oh - and of course orally methadone only has 44-76% bioavailability (isn't that a HUGE range???) but I guess that crazy people could theoretically crush and snort or even wash and shoot. But not for me. I little glass bottle with 168 x 5mg physeptone tablets is also convenient. OK OxyContin isn't THAT bulky, but when I spent time with friends in Utrecht, I did have to lug around 6 boxes of the stuff and the Dutch airport security DID ring my GP. Lucky the doctor was in or I could have been there for days !!!!

What is the nature of your pain?

The big problem with methadone for pain is the slow onset, but depending on your type of pain this might not be a problem.

Personally, when I was on 380mg/day of methadone, I'd take 240mg the moment I'd wake up, and another 140mg in the afternoon. Yet oddly enough, by the time I woke up the following morning, I'd be in mild withdrawal (feeling cold, sick, generally unwell). I remember taking the methadone and having to wait in some degree of discomfort for around 80 minutes or so, at which point I would start to "warm up".

I decided to find out just how dependant my body had become to 40mg OxyContin [BID]. I had presumed that it would pose a serious issue with the full gamut of symptoms given the many reports on BL.

So I got my prescription last Wednesday and simply didn't unseal the boxes.

Some anxiety, aches and pains and of course the pain produced by my produces returned with interest. But a week later and other than the pain the Oxy was prescribed to treat... transitory insomnia was the only troubling effect. And now that has gone - I just got 16 hours of sleep which I needed, so I feel good.

But I did stick to swallowing the tablets whole. I didn't experiment with crushing them up before swallowing or going on to snort, plug or inject the powdered tablets.

I'm quite pleased with that and I'm keen to see if I can keep going.

I conclude that if taken as instructed, OxyContin isn't an inherently bad medicine but when the ROAis modified, it seemingly has the power to produced serious dependence issues. I know that the US formulation of OxyContin was changed 4 times to prevent abuse (if someone can think of a more appropriate term, I would be pleased to know it).

But unless there is some symptom that I WILL get but which hasn't tuned up yet, it's OK.

Even so, I cannot help thinking that Physeptone (5mg methadone tablets) might be a better option for a long-acting opioid. Like OxyContin it can be given [BID] and 30mg/day of Physeptone equates to 80mg/day of OxyContin. There is no advantage in messing with the drug since it's just as active orally.

I'm just 1 person and so maybe other really do struggle to stop using OxyContin but I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of withdrawal issues.

I'm very tempted to just start collecting sealed boxes. I cannot see myself selling them or even giving them away... I just like to know that I have a convenient exit strategy ;-)
If it was the old school pills, I dont think you would be saying the same thing.

its so fucking stupid cause if used responsibly and made in a pharmaceutical setting with regulatory testing there would be ZERO overdoses. Why make thing so difficult, I love that some country give out prescriptions for morphine to addicts like Canada, why cant we have that.

Every addicts knows to do the math of there taking and of you take that variable out of the equation and its c constant that the math equation for overdosing goes to zero and I would then consider it a suicide

Some people get lucky and have little to no withdrawal symptoms when ceasing a moderate dosing regime, but this is absolutely the exception to the rule and shouldn't be expected next time.

I suspect from my experience that severity of opiate withdrawal depends on consistency of daily use, size of dose, space between doses compared to the half life of the drug, length of time using, and whether someone has gone through withdrawal before, aka kindling. I doubt the specific ROA directly effects severity of withdrawals. It may only seem that way because people who use ROAs other than oral usually have an erratic dosing schedule and use widely varying doses.

Consider yourself lucky and don't get cocky with this newfound power, don't get me wrong it's great that you got off of them so easy, but that doesn't mean you're invulnerable to withdrawals.

I looked at a dose conversion table and 80mg of OxyContin per day equates to 30mg of methadone

I agree with Sonicwhite, you shouldn't think of methadone if your oxy is working.
Also, I have learnt to distrust opioid conversión charts when it comes to methadone.
It is a very weird drug and its true power is acumulation.
I never had oxy, but while 5 mg methadone acutely dosed work like say 15 or 20 morphine mgs (3-4×), 120 mgs methadone equal 800 of morphine at least if your methadone use is chronic (6× or more). When you are on low dose methadone you can benefit of (from?) incomplete cross tolerance and use other opis, but when you push your dose up, wich is easy as its analgesic duration doesn't match its long half life, then you will need to dose fentanyl or something to get any extra relief.

More on topic, I am really glad that you don't feel that bad without your oxy. I would bet a person on 40mgs oxy a day for 2 years would have a notorious bad time if abruptly discontinued, it's a fantastic thing that it isn't your case.

Oh, wait, you said 40 mgs twice a day?
Wow, it's weird that you are not seriously rattling.
Great

Oxy extended relief dosent even break down for a large percentage of those prescribed
youre probably utilizing
20-30 % of it
and no, you won't read about it on googoo

What is the nature of your pain?

The big problem with methadone for pain is the slow onset, but depending on your type of pain this might not be a problem.

Personally, when I was on 380mg/day of methadone, I'd take 240mg the moment I'd wake up, and another 140mg in the afternoon. Yet oddly enough, by the time I woke up the following morning, I'd be in mild withdrawal (feeling cold, sick, generally unwell). I remember taking the methadone and having to wait in some degree of discomfort for around 80 minutes or so, at which point I would start to "warm up".

After a serious accident (the other 5 died), shards of metal went through my legs so I am held together with surgical steel... well sort of. Several of the screws have broken and so that results in pain. I still walk (with 2 crutches) and often 'seize up. i.e. cannot take another step. BUT the key reason I take the pills is that often I cannot get out of bed, Sounds ;ha ha' funny but it means I couldn't manage my life, couldn't get to appointments, couldn't meet friends and was more or less housebound.

So, living alone the 2 options were pain pills or winding up in a military rehabilitation centre (although not for rehabilitation - to live there for the rest of my life. That would have been a living death,

I still haven't touched my OxyContin. I admit I take the odd dihydrocodeine tablet (I've had boxes for years) but always, always cutting down.

I concluded that if you take an opioid for years, it no longer stops pain - your pain is back, but now you have a habit. Codeine & DHC are [P] medicines here but I do not plan on getting more.

So it's now been a week since I took oxycodone and no problem... or at least no withdrawal. My goal is to make it to next month wtihout touching the stuff. DHC is only 1/20th the potency of oxycodone but I'm not clean until I stop taking it.

But all in all - if you stick to just swallowing the pills whole, PxyCodone isn't that bad. It's people crushing them and then swallowing, snorting or shooting them that makes them so dangerous.

That said - I sill think Physeptone is a better option. 10mg [TID{ or 15mg [BID] is as potent as 80mg of OxyContin a day,,,,