• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Other than CBD:THC, do different strains really have a majorly different effect

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ShroomySatori

Yeah man that's what I'm thinking, terpenes definitely have an effect. And there are so many cannabinoids other than THC and CBD, CBN for instance and THCV. There is also the difference between THC-A, and THC, the activated form when heated. There are also the drastic differences in effects between combustion, vaporization, and extracts.

Those are the two cannabinoids in the study I posted with correct nanomolar affinities to have activity at the CB1 receptor.

So that is basically what I said too...

:! Jeez...I should have paid more attention in Chemistry.

I don't understand any of the "weed speak". I don't know what I "need" to try for pain relief...or at a very minimum...mood lift and focus.

I have a source, though bless his heart...He's looking down the barrel of death via CANCER...again. His wife got my order mixed up and shipped the wrong stuff. I don't know how she keeps her sanity, much less "shop" for his/my MMJ. He's putting ketchup on his IPad. She's retrieving his IPad from the refrigerator (ketchup and all). Rinse and repeat.

I would never complain, so "no worries...try again whenever possible" What else can I do? They're trying to help me. That's more than anyone else has done (or will do).

HE has gone heavy on the "couch lock" variety...Who can blame him? He's fought this beast with a fervor for YEARS, yet he's dying.

SO FUCKING SAD

I have very limited experience some time in the past so I figured before I get back into it, I'd ask.

Is it pretty much like coffee, where generally people can tell a slight difference, but between one cup (strain) and another, you're not gonna having a MAJOR difference in effects, other than between strains with high and low THC and CBD? Like one sativa isn't really going to be majorly different to most people compared to another sativa generally, right? Or do I have it all wrong?

I've smoked and grown cannabis for almost 20 years since my mid-teens. During that time, I've smoked every strain on this beautiful Earth and grown a variety of strains, from sativa dominant hybrids to pure indicas.

I've always been highly critical of the assumption that indica dominant hybrids cause a "downer" effect (commonly referred to as "couchlock") and sativa dominant strains cause an "upper" effect. I've never noticed anything of the sort. In my opinion, this is a ploy to make cannabis more acceptable as a medicine and people who experience it and agree are experiencing a placebo effect (I agree that cannabis is a very useful medicine and believe it should be decriminalized, but I don't think that one strain is better for this or that effect etc). If I'm tired before I smoke, I'll be more tired after, and if I'm hyper or energetic and smoke, I'll remain hyper and energetic.

The only major difference between the strains are phenotypical (they look and grow differently - sativa dominants being more branchy and taking longer to flower, indicas being more stout and flowering faster, and they smell and taste different, with sativas being more flowery/skunky and indicas having more of that "jetfuel" scent). Otherwise, the active chemical is binding to the same receptor sites and causing the same effect.

I know I'm in the minority on this and 98% of people disagree with me, but I call it like it is. I think everyone has been brainwashed, for lack of a better word.

I've smoked and grown cannabis for almost 20 years since my mid-teens. During that time, I've smoked every strain on this beautiful Earth and grown a variety of strains, from sativa dominant hybrids to pure indicas.

I've always been highly critical of the assumption that indica dominant hybrids cause a "downer" effect (commonly referred to as "couchlock") and sativa dominant strains cause an "upper" effect. I've never noticed anything of the sort. In my opinion, this is a ploy to make cannabis more acceptable as a medicine and people who experience it and agree are experiencing a placebo effect (I agree that cannabis is a very useful medicine and believe it should be decriminalized, but I don't think that one strain is better for this or that effect etc). If I'm tired before I smoke, I'll be more tired after, and if I'm hyper or energetic and smoke, I'll remain hyper and energetic.

The only major difference between the strains are phenotypical (they look and grow differently - sativa dominants being more branchy and taking longer to flower, indicas being more stout and flowering faster, and they smell and taste different, with sativas being more flowery/skunky and indicas having more of that "jetfuel" scent). Otherwise, the active chemical is binding to the same receptor sites and causing the same effect.

I know I'm in the minority on this and 98% of people disagree with me, but I call it like it is. I think everyone has been brainwashed, for lack of a better word.

I've never even met anyone that claimed to have smoked every Landrace strain.

I am interested in medicinal effects like anti-inflammatory cannabinoids that might not have a psychoactive effect. I have chronic pain in my spine, but I refuse to take a pharmaceutical anti inflammatory because I think they can cause organ damage. I don't trust those. I need the cannabis plant to relax my connective tissue as best it can, and I think this might involve extracts like CBD and CBN. Although I honestly didn't like a 50/50 THC/CBD at all when I tried it. It made all the positive effects of high dose THC that I'm used to seem duller.

Some of these chemicals may have medicinal effects, like relief from muscle spasms, cause appetite increase, or impact the body in noticeable ways but otherwise do not have any effect on the mind. It would be nice to combine cannabinoids such as these in high doses with traditional dabs. CBN, a degradation product of THC, is of interest to me. Has anyone tried the pure form of this?

Also, girlwithbluehair I did not mean to say I was agreeing with wo1f and not you. You gave me some terms that I need to look up. I think you know more about this than I do. I just have first year chemistry because I took a different type of engineering, and no neuroscience apart from some casual reading and podcasts. I was just contributing after a dab. Might be cool to check out some studies.

I've been dabbing some really nice live resin lately. It is so wonderful, that I can hardly believe it. I can't see how a drug could get any better than this. Cannabis is just too awesome, even if oxy helps my pain it's just not as enjoyable to me as weed. I don't abuse those. I dab all day because I just love to dab and see absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with it except I need to keep a job going to keep the top quality dabs going.

I am doing medium temp dabs without a carb cap by waiting 20 seconds after letting the Ti nail get slightly red hot (nowhere near glowing) and then waiting at least 20 seconds. I find I get more vapour that way actually, than higher temp. I'd like to try low temp some time and a carb cap is around the corner. It's tough to justify because I love so much already what I am doing. I know if it was any better I would be like, what the fuck. I'd like to try one before buying so I need to find stoner friends who dab and don't just blaze. Everyone I know smokes. I've got a nice kush, and some skunk oils though. Combined they are just wonderful. I've had a gram of moby dick weed lying around for ages, it is the tip of a nice cola, but I just don't feel any desire whatsoever to smoke it. Weird. I should at least make a firecracker with it or give it to a smoking buddy.

Landrace strains... mmm. If only I didn't have this godawful chronic pain, I'd be out searching for those. Lol. To have smoked every one.

Last edited:
8( I need anti-inflammatory, too, which would make my gut/pelvic pain more tolerable.

Depression rides "shotgun" with decades of pain. Some say Cannabis will help. Others say "no".

I think I deserve the opportunity to try for myself. I don't want sedation. I have to keep a sharp mind. If something doesn't give, I'm going to lose my colon. I'll take my own life, first. HELP ME, PLEASE!

My mind gets jumbled with information overload. I get confused by all of the terminology. I just need a MENTOR to guide me as to what may help me physically and emotionally. I'm not "sourcing". As stated, I have a source.

I don't want to smoke. Have not tried vaping...just drops under my tongue.

I've never even met anyone that claimed to have smoked every Landrace strain.

It was obviously hyperbole. What you should have drawn from it, and what I was trying to emphasize, is that I've had sativas (grew it myself because I was growing outdoors and wanted absolute disease resistance, it took something like 3 months to flower and I had to learn training methods to keep it from growing above the fenceline because it grew like a damn Christmas tree) and indicas that grow like a single cola nug sticking straight out of the dirt, and try as I might have never felt this alleged difference in high quality. I obviously haven't smoked every last strain literally, I dont think that would be humanly possible with all the breeding happening all the time (not to mention there are likely many proprietary genetics that some breeders hoard to themselves and a select few).

It's like when people claim the drunkenness from tequila is different from that of whiskey. They look and taste different, but I've only just been "drunk".

Instead of nitpicking one thing I said, you should start thinking about how dispensaries sell to cancer patients that "x strain" is better for their pain while "y strain" will treat their appetite issues. That's malarkey, my dude.

The only exception will be the high CBD strains. Otherwise, THC is THC and I'm calling shenanigans on the bullshit marketing. In the 90s no one ever heard of sativas having an "upper, energetic high" and indicas having a "downer, couchlock body high", but when dispensaries became commonplace it took off like a wildfire and now everyone is on the bandwagon (look up confirmation bias). It's frankly rather ridiculous.

Edit: DixiChik, try eating your THC. Not literally eating pot, but eating edibles infused with THC. That way you can avoid smoking it, and it will last longer. Just be careful how much you eat your first time and don't redose too close assuming it's having no effect, it could take a couple hours to fully kick in and it can be really overwhelming if you take too much.

Last edited:
:) Thanks, Phil!

I'm in a hell of a predicament right now, but NOTHING compared to my friend who's trying to help me. He's succumbing to cancer after a long, hard fought battle @ 57 years old. His newly acquired MMJ card is providing him much needed escape. His precious wife is imbibing as well, as she watches him die. Again, who can blame them?

I "ordered" Cannatonic drops almost a month ago. She shipped Durban Poison (his bottle) by mistake. I sent money for the bottle, even though it was not what I ordered. I included enough to cover my original order plus shipping. Meanwhile, his "counts" sky-rocketed, with ONC news of MORE chemo. He's gone off the deep end. Understandably, she's gone after him.

They're 5 states away...I can't even comfort them in person, or throw a life ring...so to speak.

I'm heartsick for both of them. I'm devastated that my buddy is dying. I'm stressed that I finally got a source for MMJ, only to "lose" it before I could give it a decent trial.

I NEED HELP!

:) Thanks, Phil!

I'm in a hell of a predicament right now, but NOTHING compared to my friend who's trying to help me. He's succumbing to cancer after a long, hard fought battle @ 57 years old. His newly acquired MMJ card is providing him much needed escape. His precious wife is imbibing as well, as she watches him die. Again, who can blame them?

I "ordered" Cannatonic drops almost a month ago. She shipped Durban Poison (his bottle) by mistake. I sent money for the bottle, even though it was not what I ordered. I included enough to cover my original order plus shipping. Meanwhile, his "counts" sky-rocketed, with ONC news of MORE chemo. He's gone off the deep end. Understandably, she's gone after him.

They're 5 states away...I can't even comfort them in person, or throw a life ring...so to speak.

I'm heartsick for both of them. I'm devastated that my buddy is dying. I'm stressed that I finally got a source for MMJ, only to "lose" it before I could give it a decent trial.

I NEED HELP!

That's aweful Dixie, I'm sorry that happened to your friend and now you are out of luck with your medicine :(

you should start thinking about how dispensaries sell
and you should start thinking about how dispensaries provide

8) Thanks, w01f...Yea, as I said, how can I complain?

I do know this from his own words, when he's coherent...He grew his own weed for personal use back in the 80's, 90's, into early 2000's. He made his own pipes. Last year he sent me some Indica and one of his pipes to try. I had never used MJ, but I tried. I got giggly shit-faced a couple of times, but quickly found out that I couldn't function.

I asked him last Fall about trying the MMJ from dispensaries. They live on the other side of the country where it's legal and dispensaries are readily available. He said "NO...I've grown for years. It's all the same. It won't help my pain. Dispensaries selling medical MJ are bullshit for profit. What's the point?"

Well, I was taken aback and explained that I'd read good things about MMJ and wanted to try, to decide for myself. He blew it off as "I know weed from way back, and this is no different!". WRONG! Today's weed is not the weed of yesteryear. He was hard-headed and refused to hear my arguments FOR dispensary MMJ.

Fast forward to this Spring...He finished his Taxotere (sic), losing fingernails, toenails, hair and much of his vision. The chemo dropped his numbers, but almost dropped him into the grave. His oncologist convinced him to get his MMJ card and at least TRY the new strains of MMJ. His wife followed through to help him get his card. He was SO impressed, that he raved the praises of this "new shit". lol His needs are different from mine, as he suffers neuropathy and sleeplessness. He wanted sedation.

Indeed, his dispensary does PROVIDE...thank goodness. The dispensary was very helpful for him to get what he needed. Of course, he smokes it, so less problem for him. He has been very happy with the Purple Kush and a couple of others he named. I only remember the "purple" because of Prince!

Dispensary folk spent a lot of time with him and his wife, even discussing my pain/depression issues. He told them that I NEED to be sharp, focused and creative with my career. I can't be blasted out of my mind or nodded out! They suggested Cannatonic oil for me (inflammation, pain and mood lift). They even suggested MMJ enemas for my sick colon. I haven't gone that far yet, but if it would save my colon, HELLS YEA!

I should get the Cannatonic oil this week sometime. I wanted to try the RSO maybe, too?

The MMJ for him has been a blessing of ESCAPE. He's facing more chemo (and die) or no more chemo (and die). It sucks on every level. When he is coherent, he praises it for giving him the ability to "check out" and rest/sleep. He's having a hard time being "coherent" which is understandable. He's bought a vape system to make it easier for him.

The fact is...He's dying. I can't die soon enough, if I can't find relief.

It's a fucking shame that the world is going to lose such a good man, with such a big heart. He puts his friends before himself...always has. He has much more to give this world. I've only known him for 2 years, yet he is a brother unlike my own flesh and blood.

To those who pray...Please say one for my dear friend and his wife. They've fought this fucking demon called cancer for over 9 years!

FWIW, I believe the MMJ can help me on some level. I don't need perfect. I just need possible. I WISH I HAD EASY ACCESS to MMJ dispensaries.

I need to keep my job, my husband and my home.

I also need to take care of my 90 year old mom, and defend myself against the "opinions" of my 5 older siblings. They don't do jack shit for my mom. In fact, my brother signed a DNR illegally in my absence and waited for her to die. Not on my watch...not without a fight!

I digress.

That's aweful Dixie, I'm sorry that happened to your friend and now you are out of luck with your medicine :(

and you should start thinking about how dispensaries provide

Yeah man I get that, the only reason why we don't all just provide in our front yards is that Uncle Sam decided to be a tyrant about it, remember that? That'll be dealt with eventually, most likely sooner rather than later. Happy July 4th, incidentally.

In the meantime, the discussion is over whether or not different strains can have wildly different effects. How can one strain cause a stimulant effect, while another causes the exact opposite? It's all set and setting. Cannabis is a wonderful plant, whether it is sativa or indica. That doesn't mean that one is good for walking your dog and the other is good for watching a movie. They're all good for walking your dog, and they're all good for watching a movie. That's all I'm trying to say. Now let's all blaze one up, or rack a line, or take a shot, or whatever it is we do, and stop pigeon-holing this strain to do this and that strain to do that.

And DixiChik, what state do you live in anyways? You need to write to your senators or move out west. This is why I always say we need a second round of Radical Reconstruction. You'd have your MMJ.

Last edited:
:| MISSISSIPPI...

Can't leave family that needs me. Can't leave everything we've worked our whole lives for. I'm told the cost of living is beyond our means in legal states, anyway.

Other than that, we'd leave tomorrow! It's just not that simple...ever.

It shouldn't be this HARD either...:X

8) Thanks, w01f...Yea, as I said, how can I complain?

I do know this from his own words, when he's coherent...He grew his own weed for personal use back in the 80's, 90's, into early 2000's. He made his own pipes. Last year he sent me some Indica and one of his pipes to try. I had never used MJ, but I tried. I got giggly shit-faced a couple of times, but quickly found out that I couldn't function.

I asked him last Fall about trying the MMJ from dispensaries. They live on the other side of the country where it's legal and dispensaries are readily available. He said "NO...I've grown for years. It's all the same. It won't help my pain. Dispensaries selling medical MJ are bullshit for profit. What's the point?"

Well, I was taken aback and explained that I'd read good things about MMJ and wanted to try, to decide for myself. He blew it off as "I know weed from way back, and this is no different!". WRONG! Today's weed is not the weed of yesteryear. He was hard-headed and refused to hear my arguments FOR dispensary MMJ.

Fast forward to this Spring...He finished his Taxotere (sic), losing fingernails, toenails, hair and much of his vision. The chemo dropped his numbers, but almost dropped him into the grave. His oncologist convinced him to get his MMJ card and at least TRY the new strains of MMJ. His wife followed through to help him get his card. He was SO impressed, that he raved the praises of this "new shit". lol His needs are different from mine, as he suffers neuropathy and sleeplessness. He wanted sedation.

Indeed, his dispensary does PROVIDE...thank goodness. The dispensary was very helpful for him to get what he needed. Of course, he smokes it, so less problem for him. He has been very happy with the Purple Kush and a couple of others he named. I only remember the "purple" because of Prince!

Dispensary folk spent a lot of time with him and his wife, even discussing my pain/depression issues. He told them that I NEED to be sharp, focused and creative with my career. I can't be blasted out of my mind or nodded out! They suggested Cannatonic oil for me (inflammation, pain and mood lift). They even suggested MMJ enemas for my sick colon. I haven't gone that far yet, but if it would save my colon, HELLS YEA!

I should get the Cannatonic oil this week sometime. I wanted to try the RSO maybe, too?

The MMJ for him has been a blessing of ESCAPE. He's facing more chemo (and die) or no more chemo (and die). It sucks on every level. When he is coherent, he praises it for giving him the ability to "check out" and rest/sleep. He's having a hard time being "coherent" which is understandable. He's bought a vape system to make it easier for him.

The fact is...He's dying. I can't die soon enough, if I can't find relief.

It's a fucking shame that the world is going to lose such a good man, with such a big heart. He puts his friends before himself...always has. He has much more to give this world. I've only known him for 2 years, yet he is a brother unlike my own flesh and blood.

To those who pray...Please say one for my dear friend and his wife. They've fought this fucking demon called cancer for over 9 years!

FWIW, I believe the MMJ can help me on some level. I don't need perfect. I just need possible. I WISH I HAD EASY ACCESS to MMJ dispensaries.

I need to keep my job, my husband and my home.

I also need to take care of my 90 year old mom, and defend myself against the "opinions" of my 5 older siblings. They don't do jack shit for my mom. In fact, my brother signed a DNR illegally in my absence and waited for her to die. Not on my watch...not without a fight!

I digress.
That really is too bad about your friend. Good luck with the Cannatonic trials and RSO trials as well. I would consider trying all reasonable route of administrations that you haven't if you can.

They're all good for walking your dog, and they're all good for watching a movie.
It seems like you are just adding to the pigeon-holing that you claim you are against.

Now let's all blaze one up, or rack a line, or take a shot, or whatever it is we do, and stop pigeon-holing this strain to do this and that strain to do that.
We do have a social where we welcome less serious conversations. At any rate, happy 4th it's been lit for me, hope yours was too :)