• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Other than CBD:THC, do different strains really have a majorly different effect

The Network

Bluelighter
I have very limited experience some time in the past so I figured before I get back into it, I'd ask.

Is it pretty much like coffee, where generally people can tell a slight difference, but between one cup (strain) and another, you're not gonna having a MAJOR difference in effects, other than between strains with high and low THC and CBD? Like one sativa isn't really going to be majorly different to most people compared to another sativa generally, right? Or do I have it all wrong?

The ratio can be such a difference to cause some strains to be so different in potencies to cause MAJOR DIFFERENCES in effects, yes.

For instances some can be very CNS depressant and/anxiolytic whilst others can be stimulating and some might be really dissociative and slightly hallucinogenic enough and they might produce panic reactions

There's over 50 different cannabinoids in the cannabis plant. Even the same strain grown by the exact same grower will have a different batch consisenting of a different profile so it's arguable to say that no two harvests are exactly alike. There are an infinite number of profiles to create so no two strains are exactly the same.

There's also a handful of different terps which many say have a hand in effecting the profile.

Check out this thread and look at the various cannabinoids as they relate to strains.
http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/794883-Cannibinoid-Terpene-and-Strain-Infographics

Your first reference contains at least 23 different cannabinoids and their function on CB1 and CB2

You've already proved half my point. Care to reference the other 30+ cannabinoids to finish this thread off?

Their nanomolar activity is far too high to have activity to do anything. only the one in the teens like THC will do anything. Look at the chart again. Look closely. Are you even versed in this kind of thing?

That's why I said it appears at least two other ones do as well. Their nanomolar activity is low enough to elicit a biological response

In real life, medical and recreational stores sell well over 5 or 10 different kinds of pure cannabinoids extracted naturally from the plant. And for reasons of significant activity.

Logistically there are many more than we have not tapped into.

It's too early in development to make any kind of statement you claim to know and naive to assume such things.

Stores can also sell and claim whatever they want. My statements are based on scientific fact and binding activity, sorry. They don't contribute to marijuana's psychotropic effects. They may have activity on TRPV receptors and other pain related receptors and ion channels but I was not talking about this.

We were talking about CB1 and CB2 activity so evaluate your logic before you call me naive please?

their nanomolar activity and binding activity makes it impossible for them to exhibit any activity at the CB1/CB2 receptor sites.

The ratio can be such a difference to cause some strains to be so different in potencies to cause MAJOR DIFFERENCES in effects, yes.

For instances some can be very CNS depressant and/anxiolytic whilst others can be stimulating and some might be really dissociative and slightly hallucinogenic enough and they might produce panic reactions

It's this, and set, setting, and dose are also factors as tolerance can be as well.

There's over 50 different cannabinoids in the cannabis plant. Even the same strain grown by the exact same grower will have a different batch consisenting of a different profile so it's arguable to say that no two harvests are exactly alike. There are an infinite number of profiles to create so no two strains are exactly the same.

There's also a handful of different terps which many say have a hand in effecting the profile.

Check out this thread and look at the various cannabinoids as they relate to strains.
http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/794883-Cannibinoid-Terpene-and-Strain-Infographics

Yeah man that's what I'm thinking, terpenes definitely have an effect. I'm thinking of strains that I have had really unique effects from and all of them have unique flavours... like strawberry cough, blueberry, or uk cheese. And there are so many cannabinoids other than THC and CBD, CBN for instance and THCV. There is also the difference between THC-A, and THC, the activated form when heated. There are also the drastic differences in effects between combustion, vaporization, and extracts. Smoking weed feels cognitively and physically completely different to me than if you took that weed and made hash or oil out of it and dabbed it. One of the most exciting things about the world of cannabis is the diversity of the plant, the methods of consumption, and its varying effects.

Very important to mention that not all 'bubba kush' for instance is the same cannabis product at all. Strains vary depending on growing environments and genetics if coming from seed and not a clone-driven strain.

If you vape pure THC, it just doesn't affect the body the same as smoking a joint. I've experienced way too many differences and variations for everything to be simply explained by THC/CBD ratios and indica vs. sativa. I personally think that the byproducts of combustion have a major effect, making the high heavier. The terpene and cannabinoid profiles include so many other potentially active chemicals that, as a whole, surely contribute to the characteristic feeling of a strain of weed.

There is really a lot to consider, and a lot of it is experimental at this point. It's really interesting to get into studying the chemistry and biology of the plant and to try unique products, especially extracts with analyzed profiles, if you have access like everyone should in an ideal world.

Thanks for the link! The next step of my journey is going to be the continued study of and medical experimentation with terpenes. I think that they are completely fascinating and having been unaware of this aspect of the cannabis plant for so long, and also having a science background, it brings so much joy to my life and concentrates in general have really enhanced my love of the herb. I don't even smoke anymore because it's all down to personal preference, there are so many options and smoking is my least preferred choice since having gotten more into concentrates. I like dropping dabs on the nail way more than smoking bong. I thought I was through experimenting with cannabis, and that there was nothing more to learn from it, but in fact I am discovering that the opposite is true. There are so many questions that I have raised to myself and yet to find answers for. It's an exciting time to be into cannabis if you're in a location that is 'with it'.

Last edited:
That's because of THC content. Only the cannabinoids with high nanomolar affinities will have an effect. There were only 3 or 4; the others will display no cognitive effect.

The rest is all based of THC CONTENT and the ration to CANNABIDIOL and other cannabinoids that display high nanomolar affinities. if its not in the higher range. it will have no central effect.

Yeah man that's what I'm thinking, terpenes definitely have an effect. And there are so many cannabinoids other than THC and CBD, CBN for instance and THCV. There is also the difference between THC-A, and THC, the activated form when heated. There are also the drastic differences in effects between combustion, vaporization, and extracts.
Absolutely, it's amazing how many variations can be had which lead to completely different effects.

Smoking weed feels cognitively and physically completely different to me than if you took that weed and made hash or oil out of it and dabbed it. One of the most exciting things about the world of cannabis is the diversity of the plant, the methods of consumption, and its varying effects.

Very important to mention that not all 'bubba kush' for instance is the same cannabis product at all. Strains vary depending on growing environments and genetics if coming from seed and not a clone-driven strain.

If you vape pure THC, it just doesn't affect the body the same as smoking a joint. I've experienced way too many differences and variations for everything to be simply explained by THC/CBD ratios and indica vs. sativa. I personally think that the byproducts of combustion have a major effect, making the high heavier. The terpene and cannabinoid profiles include so many other potentially active chemicals that, as a whole, surely contribute to the characteristic feeling of a strain of weed.

There is really a lot to consider, and a lot of it is experimental at this point. It's really interesting to get into studying the chemistry and biology of the plant and to try unique products, especially extracts with analyzed profiles, if you have access like everyone should in an ideal world.

Thanks for the link! The next step of my journey is going to be the continued study of and medical experimentation with terpenes. I think that they are completely fascinating and having been unaware of this aspect of the cannabis plant for so long, and also having a science background, it brings so much joy to my life and concentrates in general have really enhanced my love of the herb. I don't even smoke anymore because it's all down to personal preference, there are so many options and smoking is my least preferred choice since having gotten more into concentrates. I like dropping dabs on the nail way more than smoking bong. I thought I was through experimenting with cannabis, and that there was nothing more to learn from it, but in fact I am discovering that the opposite is true. There are so many questions that I have raised to myself and yet to find answers for. It's an exciting time to be into cannabis if you're in a location that is 'with it'.
There is a lot to consider, I completely agree. It's great to see your enthusiasm with your studies. Keep it up :)