• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

other places...i mean, where have you holidayed?

states I haven't visited: texas, arizona, new mexico, north dakota, oregon, washington, idaho, montana, alaska, hawaii

states I've lived in: illinois, new hampshire, colorado, california, florida, nyc

countries visited: canada, mexico, caribbean islands, england, germany, france, holland, belgium, netherlands, switzerland, italy

favorites: chicago & upstate vermont

Absolutely true! Yosemite is a magical place. :) Always check for chain control through May, though. I got turned back by chain control in mid-April - missed the closing of the Tioga/120 pass by about 5 minutes on the way back from a day trip. I had to find a hotel quickly - and did so in Mariposa, CA, before being able to drive back to Groveland! Conditions can change at any point and cell phones don't work in much of Tuolumne or Mariposa counties.

Definitely. Im planning a 2 night backpacking trip on the High Sierra Loop this coming summer. Im so stoked.

I've only been to nevada and arizona as far as states go.

countries:
Mexico: It's a really awesome country once you get to know it. There's so many places to visit there.

Guatemala : only went for a couple days during my trip to el salvador. love to go there again.

El Salvador : pretty cool. ate some live mussels at the beach there. nothing really special there though.

India: Such a magical and spiritual place. There's no way you can experience all of india in one trip. It's so large and every area has it's own culture. Must go there again.

Nepal: This place is pretty rad. Trekking there was pretty fun and the people you meet along the way are so nice. Cannabis grows wild there so you tend to see lots of plants during your treks.

Thailand: I was there for 5 months so I got to experience this place the most out of all the countries I've been to. There's so many things to do there. It's a great place to experience the jungle and the beach at the same time. I went all over the place, from kanchanaburi to riley to koh tao.

Laos: This place is a trip. They definitely make the best sandwiches in the world. They have a place called van vieng that is sort of like the koh phangan of laos. They even have a restaurant that sells "mushroom pizza", weed garlic bread and opium.

Cambodia: Really great country to go to. Angkor Wat is pretty magical although it's become quite touristy. The people there are wonderful.

I need a travel partner!

My NY resolution was to leave the United States at least twice a year. This year is Cancun, Mexico and Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Dave Barcelona is wonderful. It is on my places I would like to own an apartment.

My goal is before 50 to own another home in another continent.

I was actually looking at places. Don't tell anyone, but there's likely going to be a wee real estate boom where I live in a couple of years (2 new refinery/plants being built), meaning that I may be able to cash in and either buy a small place cash-in-hand or put a solid down-payment on a really nice place. Just have to sort out work...

If I buy a place, you're invited to the housewarming!

I like your thinking! With the pending divorce and finances I am not set up to purchase another home in the next couple years :(

The first and only time I went to Europe in 2004 (London, Paris, Barcelona, Ibiza), I put out an email to my friends and acquaintances inviting them to join me. I was going whether or not I had someone to join me. A friend of a friend heard about it and I ended up spending 2 weeks with him. It turned out great.

Anyone of you drug zombies ever been to the Keys? I'm going next week, and I'd like to have some inside knowledge before I waddle off the plane and follow the dreadful itineraries that my parents have cooked up.

Anyone of you drug zombies ever been to the Keys? I'm going next week, and I'd like to have some inside knowledge before I waddle off the plane and follow the dreadful itineraries that my parents have cooked up.

Sure have. I prefer the West Coast of Florida (Sanibel/Captiva) but Islamorada and Key West are great fun. I'd recommend pretty much anything relating to water sports - jet skis, scuba diving, parasailing, if you have a penchant for drinking, you'll have an especially good time. Definitely don't miss the sunset from your vista point of choice. Islamorada is better for fishing if that is your thing. Key West? Well, there's always the great stumble down Duval Street.

I have heard good things about austin tx, ive never been. Ive been to Houston UGHhhhh what a crap hole yuk..... Amsterdam was cool however it was a huge let down. Turns out its not the cat's ass as i had earlier anticipated. Its was still fucking amazing and liberating. Just knowing i could go anywhere in the world. LOL...... with no plans what so ever, just wing it youll have a good time no matter where you go. If you wanna have a good memorable time just ask more people "how their doing?" but really mean it when you say it. I bet youll be surprised where youll end up>

Last edited:
States: Cali (live here), Nevada, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Florida

Countries: Mexico, Finland, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, France, Czech Republic

i spent a summer in the keys in a former lifetime. i thought key west was the epitome of lame, overpriced tourism. snorkelling was cool. i am not much of a beach type anyway, which was ok as the beaches are all fossilized coral and not soft sand like i am used to (since this was in pre-wikipedia days it was not so easy to do research about stuff like this). they are terribly flat and my bike ride to work everyday is still some of the most boring time i have ever spent in my life.

there is one sand beach in the keys. the sand is trucked in. it's key bahia honda and there are your typical beach things to do there. there are also sand fleas and a shitton of mosquitos.

^^

Ok sad sack. Bahia honda routinely gets mentioned as one of the ten best beaches in the states. I quite liked it, and all the snorkeling I did there was among nice, live formations with plenty of schooling reef fish, et cetera. It could have been a little clearer, but it had been stormy both weeks prior to the weeks I visited. I remember an excellent thai/malaysian/sushi place on marathon, and the whole red snapper fried and then drowned in panang curry— good times.

All my keys time was spent camping on the grounds of a friendly snowbird on Big Pine Key. Once, and only once, I took a day trip down to key West to take in all the nasty tacky shit, and all the old victorian hotels... too touristy for me. Where i stayed, it was all people who either live there full time, or just winter there. I never saw a mosquito, and that was while sleeping in groves of trees and scrub, as well as exploring keys overrun with mangroves. My discomfort stemmed mostly from getting red wine drunk on the beach and passing out in the sun. ;)

I think I'd tire of it all if I spent more than a month there, because ya, there's not much to do. But for a week or two, there's enough stuff to keep you interested and entertained culturally/geographically/historically.

If you go, pay a brief/extended visit to the long hair ranch. Bob would probably be cool with having you ;)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=24.68...VU9mdWg_umMXZtP3Gg&cbp=12,301.54,,0,4.61&z=16

If you'd like to know more, PM me.

oh, don't get me wrong .bahia honda is gorgeous. i am just not really a beach person.

Ahh my trip turned out to be lovely. I did some deep sea fishing and caught the biggest fish of my life which also happened to be the hardest fight of my life. It was 40-ish lbs So I accomplished something pretty sweet. My cousin caught a small shark too. The night life in the Keys was incredibly lame, and that really disappointed me, but the morning and afternoon life was pretty fun.

What kind of fish was it? I caught sweet FA on my last two fishing trips so I want to live vicariously through your victory.

As far as places for me: A large chunk of East and Southern Africa, Southern India, Thailand, Bali, Singapore, small chunks of South America and a whirlwind tour of Europe and the UK. Ive also been to many of the unpopulated parts of Australia but strangely enough not seen a lot of the Eastern States except some of the major cities. Fuck living in Perth its such a long way to anywhere except Bali!

Ive never lived anywhere else for much longer than a month and those times it was in the Rift Valley in Kenya and in Johannesburg. I would love to own a property somewhere out in the bush in Africa the people are so friendly and the landscape is so awesome unfortunately the political and economic situation there is just too unstable.

I caught an Amberjack. I didn't realize how underdeveloped my muscles were until I was trying to fight that thing up from 250ft below the surface. I was sore for the rest of the time there, but I had the freshest fish and it was delicious. I felt like I belonged at the top of the food chain for once, rather than just getting grandfathered in there.

^^

Ok sad sack. Bahia honda routinely gets mentioned as one of the ten best beaches in the states. I quite liked it, and all the snorkeling I did there was among nice, live formations with plenty of schooling reef fish, et cetera. It could have been a little clearer, but it had been stormy both weeks prior to the weeks I visited. I remember an excellent thai/malaysian/sushi place on marathon, and the whole red snapper fried and then drowned in panang curry— good times.

All my keys time was spent camping on the grounds of a friendly snowbird on Big Pine Key. Once, and only once, I took a day trip down to key West to take in all the nasty tacky shit, and all the old victorian hotels... too touristy for me. Where i stayed, it was all people who either live there full time, or just winter there. I never saw a mosquito, and that was while sleeping in groves of trees and scrub, as well as exploring keys overrun with mangroves. My discomfort stemmed mostly from getting red wine drunk on the beach and passing out in the sun. ;)

I think I'd tire of it all if I spent more than a month there, because ya, there's not much to do. But for a week or two, there's enough stuff to keep you interested and entertained culturally/geographically/historically.

If you go, pay a brief/extended visit to the long hair ranch. Bob would probably be cool with having you ;)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=24.68...VU9mdWg_umMXZtP3Gg&cbp=12,301.54,,0,4.61&z=16

If you'd like to know more, PM me.

This is the type of advice I wish I had when I was there, but it's all good for future planning.