• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

other places...i mean, where have you holidayed?

L2R

Bluelight Crew
on the drunken eve of my return to sydney after two months in china, this thread occurred to me. where you been?

i mean, where have you holidayed, where have you spent some significant time without working for a wage? what did you like? what did you hate? what did you learn? all that shit... so where you been?

Last edited by a moderator:
NYC <3 it was expensive because of all the stuff to buy, but, enormously inspirational!

Washington State is as inspirational to me as NY, but the wilderness becomes very inconvenient.

Texas, central TX was very hot, humid, and disturbing....lots of poisonous stuff.

Colorado, was a bit like each of the rest.

Milford, PA, in the Tri-State area. The Poconos were beautiful, and the fall colors beyond words--a real treat for someone from a city with only the green and brown seasons.

Western Nebraska. A lot like WNY, but also quite different. Their "big city" was laughable to me--Looked like our suburbs! Learned that not everywhere is as wheelchair accessible as it should be. Learned that the Mid West is very flat compared to WNY.

Haven't spent considerable time elsewhere. :-/

I've been a few places, but not that many really. Mostly Europe-- I have family in the South of Germany, and I've also stayed in Berlin and Munich for short spells. Did the tourist thing in Paris, Southern France, London, Edinburgh and the Highlands, and Dublin. I'd move to Berlin tomorrow if someone offered me a job, or financial independence, and I'd consider moving to Edinburgh if the same were offered. If I had to choose a place tomorrow in which I were to spend the rest of my days, I'd be hard-pressed to choose between Tofino in BC or the Isle of Skye.

Paris is beautiful but high-maintenance, but the French towns and countryside are lovely. London's got a lot going on, but is profoundly ugly, and I'll likely not be passing that way again (I've been there three times, and each one was sketchier than the last). Dublin was meh-- I regret not seeing the Irish countryside when I was there.

I've seen surprisingly little of my home country, or even home province. Every summer my family would go to the mountains, so I'm pretty well acquinted with the Canadian Rockies - Yoho National Park is a seldom-visited gem! I've also been to a few places in the BC interior, checked out Vancouver Island (I <3 Tofino!), made a couple of horribly boring jaunts to Saskatchewan to visit family, and a long weekend in Toronto.

Later this year I'll be going to a festival in Portugal, followed by a week in Barcelona, two weeks of touring through the South of Spain, and another visit to Berlin. Can't wait! Hoping to do some more travelling, and possibly an RTW trip in the coming years, if my finances cooperate.

Later this year I'll be going to a festival in Portugal

Would that happen to be BOOM? ;) I'm considering heading to this..

I've spent just over a month going through Europe in the past, did the tourist thing and saw alot of places i wanted to see but it was a drop in the ocean compared to everything else that's there. It was enough of a taste to convince me to go back this year for a long-term holiday/work.. just sorted out my British passport, so once i've used up my time in the Schengan zone i could possibly do a bit of work in the UK before heading back over, not sure yet.. i'll likely make everything up as i go along.

I've been fortunate enough to have been to a fair number of places as well.

Lived in Brisbane, Australia for a few years in my early 20s.

Lived in Hong Kong for a short bit at 24.

Have been all over Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Macau, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, England, Wales, Scottland, Ireland...

Been in about half of the United States, and in a few Canadian providences.

A favourite? Probably Langkawi, Malaysia. This is a little island off of the West coast of (mainland) Malaysia. It has a very "remote" feeling to it, and is super tropical and super cheap (king prawns and lobster for just a few $$, thirty cent beers, etc). But the thing about this place is that it has the absolute nicest and most genuine/helpful people I've ever met. I was there for 5 nights, and on the 4th we had the biggest thunderstorm I have ever seen in person, but it was absolutely amazing to be right in the middle of that fury.

I also really loved Cardiff, Macau and Hong Kong. I'm gearing up for another extended overseas stay in a year or two. I cannot not. Traveling's probably my biggest passion in life. Great thread, L2R!

@malakaix: Why yes, yes it is. I've started a thread in EAED (or whatever it's called).

I live near the west coast border, so I've been to Seattle and surrounding areas such as Deception Pass a decent amount of times. Obviously, it's awesome to go shop in the States :D

As for the rest of America, when I was 7 years old my family went to Disneyworld in Florida. I've also been to Disneyland in California, that was for a school band trip, and we also went to Universal Studios and Huntington Beach.

On another school band trip, we went to Ireland, namely Dublin (beautiful city) and Belfast, as well as a few other cities in between. Such a gorgeous country. The architecture in Dublin in fantastic, and the tallest building they have there is 18 storeys and they want it removed because they think it is too high! When here in Vancouver we have skyscrapers that easily make 50+ floors..

In 2008 I went to Mexico with my sister and my mom and stayed at an all-inclusive in Puerto Vallarta. Went surfing for the first time.. that was fun. :) And beat a 24 year old and my mom in a tequila shooting contest, but I think they were just bluffing because I was only 14 at the time, lol.

As for Canada, I've roadtripped through the Interior of BC, visiting towns like Kelowna, Kamloops, Nelson, Litton, Banff.. visited many hot springs and glaciers along the way. That specific roadtrip took us to Calgary and then Edmonton.
Used to have an uncle who lived up in 100 mile and we would regularly drive up there and stop at many lakes and cities along the way and camp out.
Squamish and Whistler are two places I've obviously been to quite a bit.. =D So many awesome hiking trails, and I love going up there in the winter to ski!
And of course I can't forget the Sunshine Coast in BC, as well as Vancouver Isl.
I love my province, lol. So fucking beautiful here.

I like California. The last week or so has been awesome weather. I will be singing a different tune in the summer. I hate it hot. Right now I am very glad to be spending my life in California.

I've been through pretty much all the states on road trips to family reunions back east. I don't like any other state as well as I do California.

Costa Rica, Pacific coast, hotter and more humid than even Florida. I am never going there again, but if you go, I'd recommend the higher elevations because it's cooler in the mountains. The ocean, the sand, the beach, the pool, even the cold taps in the bathroom, were hot.

On the other hand, Ireland is cool. Sweet green hills and soft rain falling and a peat fire in the stove in the house we rented in Dingle... If I had found a job there, I would be there now. Dingle, Tralee, Kinsale, Cork, Ennis...

sigh

^Yeah I went to Cork and Ennis too.. so pretty. It was foggy then, but it was nice

I've lived in the Greater New Orleans area the longest. That's where I was born. I don't live there now.

My list as far as US states: Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Washington, DC, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, California, Oregon, Washington State, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois.

Countries: the US, Canada (Quebec, British Columbia, and of course Ontario), Mexico, Panama, the UK, Belgium, France, the Netherlands.

I would very much like to visit all of these places again. I love to travel. I wouldn't know where to start with planning travel in future. I would love to visit Asia and Australia to see friends there.

Awesome thread, Lefty. Awesome acknowledgment, Ugly - yep, California is the best place on earth as far as I have found.

My list so far - As a child, I spent time in South Africa with my parents (part of my dad's side hails from there). We spent time in Jo'burg, Cape Town and the South & Western Cape areas. I've been to Sri Lanka, the Seychelles and The Maldives. While I was quite young, my memories of the time we spent travelling are really crisp. I was 9-10.

As an adult, I've been to England, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, the North and South Island of New Zealand. I'm travelling to Indonesia in June. I've travelled up and down the eastern seaboard of australia, however am yet to explore Tasmania, South & Western Australia and the Northern Territory. All are high on my to-do list, as they are all very different.

My favourite place/s so far have been Thailand & Cambodia. I could easily live in Chiang Mai, and the Khmer people are some of the most gentle and lovely people i've had the pleasure of spending time with <3

i love travelling. just can't afford it. in china, the english cctv channel was looking for a presenter for their travelogue show, i damn near shit myself, til i saw that along with the english native requirement was a bloody chinese ethnicity one. fffuuuuuuuuuuu

anyhoots, onto the list, will update with more detail later.

just the other day my bro found photos from when he drove me to from sydney to ayers rock and alice springs. i must have been around 12. three days drive each way. even got a photo of me on top of uluru! other places around oz... gold coast, brisbane, canberra, melbourne.. did some sword training in townsville.. rode a motorcycle to adelaide and back (now that's a story!).

i was taken to croatia and bosnia when i was baby but i have no memory of it.

been to the united states a couple of times, stopping over in la to mainly troll the east coast where my ex lives. as some of you might remember, i had an amazing trip to nepal in 05. since then i've only gone to china four times. i've had some pretty crazy times in china.

States: E-to-W New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, DC, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon & Washington.

Countries: England, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, France, Netherlands, & Mexico.

My favorite places I've holidayed are Colorado (namely Denver area), Oregon (Portland) & Austria (Salzberg).

More later... :)

Last edited:
The most frequent and significant would have to be Hawaii. My moms family is from there, she grew up in Kailua on Oahu, and my Grandpa is a retired navy captain living in Hawaii Kai. He has a big house there so my family vacationed and stayed there yearly during my young years. Its quite the place especially since my parents have alot of friends and family living there so I get to do touristy and local stuff. The beaches are definitely my favorite part,and spending alot of time at beaches with severe undertow is probably part of the reason I grew up being such a strong swimmer. My least favorite part would have to be the bugs. Giant centipedes are scary as hell and the cockroaches are pretty much the state bird.

Other than that I have family in Washington state (Kirkland/Gig Harbor). Its a very beautiful area, and is relatively unmolested compared to alot of places in the US. Another set of Grandparents also used to have a house way out in the middle of nowhere by lake Shelan, some of the most pristine wilderness ive seen outside of the national parks, they live in the SF bay area now though.

Also, one of my good friends dad manages a hotel in Telluride Colorado, which is a small ski town in the southwest part of the state. Ive taken trips with him there a few times and his dad hooks us up with free ski passes and room and board (thousands of dollars in value) for free. The views of all the mountains in that area are spectacular, as is the ski resort. One of the times we were there we took a few days trip to Moab, Utah. That palce is pretty awesome. We visited arches national park and saw the arches, and river rafted through a canyon of red rock.

My favorite place to visit has to be Yosemite though, and im lucky enough to live only a couple hours from it. Its geological circumstances are unique in all the world and it is absolutely spectacular. That place really gives you a sense of awe like nowhere else ive ever been.

Been to various other places, but these 4 are my favorites.

Last edited:
i was taken to croatia and bosnia when i was baby but i have no memory of it.

That's too bad. Bosnia/Herzegovina produce absolutely stunning women. I've met a handful in my travels, and they were, well, absolutely stunning women. :)

My list so far - As a child, I spent time in South Africa with my parents (part of my dad's side hails from there). We spent time in Jo'burg, Cape Town and the South & Western Cape areas.

That's really cool. My ex was from Zimbabwe, and we were planning a trip to there, as well as to South Africa, in what would have been the autumn after we broke up. I really want to see Africa someday, but it's too expensive for me anytime soon, and my whole 'me and my backpack' agenda isn't smart for that area. I need travel buddies!

I moved constantly as a kid all over the United States and then overseas to West Africa. When we lived there my parents split up and my mom moved back to inner city Detroit. It was bizarre going back and forth between Lagos, Nigeria and Detroit. I've also lived in Switzerland and traveled in Europe when I was really young. When I got old enough to travel on my own I just worked in order to do that for quite a few years. I've traveled to Mexico quite a few times, and to Central America twice. I lived in Costa Rica for a while on the Caribbean side. Last year, my son and I backpacked in Guatemala. I would love to go back there. Next on my list is South America--I'm running out of years and that is a big continent! =D In the States my favorite places are Utah, New Mexico and California.

hey, Red, I am always scheming how to get back there! (to Africa, that is):)

I just added Wyoming to my list of US states I have visited (and I must go back for a longer time and for fresh pow). It was absolutely gorgeous driving through the mountains and I definitely have to make time to visit Yellowstone. Need to make more time for Colorado as well and for nearly the same reasons.

I miss making periodic visits to play and party in Orlando (Disney/Universal) when I lived in FL.

Internationally, Toronto (Canada, I know, but it is a different country people!) was fun and would like to go back again. Barcelona, Spain is another place I'd like to visit again along with Rome. Why does it always seem no matter how much time you spend somewhere it is never enough time? Hong Kong was cool but I was working most of the time, same thing for Taiwan and Germany. Need to re-visit Cartegena, Columbia because I was drunk....;) Ibiza, Spain........if I knew then what I know now, I would have partied harder than I did and believe me I was not sober when I left there.

My favorite place to visit has to be Yosemite though, and im lucky enough to live only a couple hours from it. Its geological circumstances are unique in all the world and it is absolutely spectacular. That place really gives you a sense of awe like nowhere else ive ever been.

Absolutely true! Yosemite is a magical place. :) Always check for chain control through May, though. I got turned back by chain control in mid-April - missed the closing of the Tioga/120 pass by about 5 minutes on the way back from a day trip. I had to find a hotel quickly - and did so in Mariposa, CA, before being able to drive back to Groveland! Conditions can change at any point and cell phones don't work in much of Tuolumne or Mariposa counties.