• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opioid sleep paralysis

i get sp quite alot but its like 6-8 hours after dosing. I hate it so much, i got it like 5 times in an hour last week i woke up, went back to sleep etc.
I was on opium last night and I kept falling into SP, pulling myself out of it then falling back into it. My nose was blocked so it was real hard to breath, I felt like I was gonna suffocate so I kept pulling myself out of it. Yeah I know that floaty feeling. Theres a lot of familiar feelings I get right before going into SP. They're impossible to explain.

I've been getting this frequently lately with my use and its absolutely horrible. Scariest experiences of my life
Yeah its much scarier on opioids for some reason. I get SP when I'm sober but its not scary at all, on opioids it can be terrifying. I also get bad nightmares on opioids despite being immune to nightmares usually. I've had bad psychedelic trips and psychosis from staying up too long on speed but neither were anywhere near as scary as the worst sleep paralysis I've had. The worst I've had was when I was on ritalin. The second I sank into SP I would get blasted by this sense of terror and feeling that something it terribly wrong. I woke up screaming a good few times from sleep paralysis. Its an illusion though, when you just stay there to see what it is thats scaring you, the fear passes and you realize there was nothing to be scared of. It reminds me of that saying "theres nothing to fear but fear itself".

It would really suck though, if you used to live in an apartment building like I did some years ago where there is a massive infestation of roaches, and you were experiencing sleep paralysis while a roach was crawling across your face...

This happened to me with a spider. I don't bother killing spiders when they move into my room and they rarely mess with me but one night I was in SP and could feel something crawling on my arm so I instantly assumed it was a spider, I gave it all my effort and pulled myself out of SP and it wasn't a hallucination there really was a spider on my arm. Thats not even close to being the worst SP experience I've had. One night I was laying there observing the hallucinations and it was a bit aggitating cuz I could feel fingers poking me in the back but then what I had been fearing might happen happened. I got one of those fingers in the ass lol. I can't describe the kind of terror I felt getting anally violated by an unseen hallucination while paralyzed in my bed lol. Didn't take me long to pull myself out of it but since then I've been scared that it might happen again. Luckily it hasn't yet.

Then, I went though a 30 day period where I had sleep paralysis either every day or every other day, starting off with what I can assure you was THE MOST frightening experience of my life....

That experience would scare the living shit out of me. Especially the part about the cross falling off the wall. I'm on opioids now so I'm gonna have some heavy SP tonight, this story is gonna have me scared shitless lol. Heres a documentary on SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPMUz8RAjks
which is pretty scary. Not scary watching it but scary thinking about when you're in sleep paralysis. I'm not scared of much and consider myself fairly brave but in SP I see how brave I really am. When I go into it its like jumping into a cold swimming pool, I go into a bit of a panic like I'm gasping for air. I've faced this fear loads of times in the past and reaped the rewards of it. I'm gonna face it tonight and see what happens. What usually happens is I end up in a lucid dream but I always get a sense of achievement. Its like the sleep paralysis is there to test you. It tests your determination. If you're not determined enough you'll run away but if you're determined ot face the fear and tough it out, you overcome it. When you realize this, SP becomes like a crazy, intense, psychedelic rollercoaster that carries you into a lucid dream. The first sign that a dream is starting I find, is feeling like your summersalting through the air. That happens to me every time.

Last edited:
I haven't ever had it happen from opiates, but sleep paralysis for me isn't worth breaking out of most of the time because it is so difficult. End up pushing myself so hard while feeling that claustrophobic feeling, I can't stand it... I just calm myself down and drift off again or something..

I had a few bouts of sp also, one time i fell into sp and couldnt move and everything was upside down because my eyes were somehow inverted..It was kind of fun though, the times that are not fun is when you feel that evil precense in the bed with you and is holding you from the back.

This sleep paralysis that is induced by opiates is a possible cause of actual brain damage from opiate use. The theory is that the oxygen levels of the blood drop significantly and the oxygen-deprivation is what causes the damage. If you are getting this regularly, I would seriously consider possibly lowering your dose to try and avoid the paralysis...

the dreams in which i'm dying are the best i've ever had

Tears for Fears? Nice, I've always liked that song.

I don't know if I can say I've ever been in a full on state of SP, but I've definitely had handfuls of bizarre and even borderline frightening experiences while in that inbetween state- where you are nodding hard, but it is late and you are making the transition into actual sleep for the night- which for me almost always takes place on my couch.

For me, Morphine induces the craziest dreams/experiences that seem very real, yet somehow there exists a certain level of lucidity in which I know I am in this dream state and surely not awake. I also makes me do weird things with my mouth and tongue as I breathe. It's really pretty weird, almost in the way you would do you lips and tongue if you were trying to make a silly fart sound, if that makes sense. The strangest part is I am completely aware of myself doing this, and can pull my tongue back in my mouth and stop, but only for a minute, then I realize I am doing it again. It's as if I am so relaxed my tongue just flops out of my mouth I guess. No amount of any other Opioid besides Morphine makes me do this.

I don't recall ever being actually scared so much as shaken up and/or disoriented, but there have been some times where I was truly unsure whether or not what happened was real or not.

Oh yea I remember the first times I got these dreams and I could wake up multiple times in a row to a "new" dream. So when I woke up from some scary shit and thought I was awake, I realised I was still paralysed and had to get through another one and another one. I'm still scared as fuck everytime I get these paralysations even though I know its not real.

Don't you mean Gary Jules - Mad World?

Once opon a time i was blowin lines of oxy all day n night till i passed out. Only to wake up half awake paralizyed and half dreaming of some demon lying around my room. I couldnt move at all and suddenly this demon started to float right ontop of me than it came down and tried to kill me right as it was about to finishing me off and bam i can move again. I thought i was going to have a heart attack, i couldnt sleep the rest of the night figuring this incubuss would come back n finish off the job. i honestly thought i had survived some supernatural attack hahaha. Later i found out about SP and it made total sense. This was one of the scariest nights of my life.

I have never had SP on opiates, I usually get them at the end of my xanax binges...scary and annoying as shit..any one have any tips for snapping out of them?

Anyone else get extreme bouts of sleep paralysis when they go to bed on opioids? I can pull myself out of sleep paralysis but it takes effort and on opioids it takes way more effort. SP on opioids is way more intense than usual and can get scary if I don't have the right attitude but when I go into looking at it like some kinda crazy rollercoaster ride then its great fun. Does anyone else here get sleep paralysis when they go to bed on opioids? Honestly its a unique experience incomparable to anything I've experienced in life. When you lie there for long enough you end up in a lucid dream so you get to see the whole process of falling asleep and ending up in a dream.

I have a theory on why I get SP on opioids. I think the body sends signals to your mind to make you wanna move and if you move the body knows you're still awake but on opioids you're so relaxed you don't bother moving so the body thinks you're asleep and shuts down even though you're still awake.

ive never had this on opiates... but i think i have had it once or twice when i was younger. its like your dreaming but awake and cant move. feels weird. it reminds me of that song sleeping awake by p.o.d. lol

I had SP from opiates A LOT when i first started using! I had never had it before, and i remember laying on my bed being terrified. I would try and force myself to wake up seeing as i knew i was just in a really bad dream, but i just couldn't do it. I remember feeling like i was going to die if i didn't wake up. So, no you're for sure not the only one that this has happened to. I have not read all the posts on this thread so sorry if someone already answered this, (i am about to go back through and read them all) but has anyone else felt the same way that i did? Feeling like you're going to die if you didnt wake up. When i finally did wake up i woke up with a shortness of breath and i would be terrified to try and fall back to sleep! Sorry if that seems like a silly question to ask.

Last edited:
I had a few bouts of sp also, one time i fell into sp and couldnt move and everything was upside down because my eyes were somehow inverted..It was kind of fun though, the times that are not fun is when you feel that evil precense in the bed with you and is holding you from the back.

I got SP last night and a hallucination put me in a sleeper hold lol.

This sleep paralysis that is induced by opiates is a possible cause of actual brain damage from opiate use. The theory is that the oxygen levels of the blood drop significantly and the oxygen-deprivation is what causes the damage. If you are getting this regularly, I would seriously consider possibly lowering your dose to try and avoid the paralysis...
Interesting. I have a big bottle of piracetam, that would without a doubt prevent this kind of brain damage. I wonder if it will circumvent this sleep paralysis I get. Only 1 way to find out. The only reason I don't do piracetam when I'm on opes is that I've read it counteracts the sedative effects of them. The only time the effects of opes become a problem for me is when I'm going to sleep though so I'm definitely gonna give this a shot tonight.

Holy shit I think I found a cure for sleep paralysis. Piracetam. Can someone else test this out. Honestly when I take some piracetam before going to bed I don't get sleep paralysis despite being on opioids. That is truly weird for me so I'm almost positive the piracetam has something to do with this≥

ive had many many bouts of wakefull/sleep...i think its because the brain is emitting beta waves while you are a wake, therefore you are dreamin while awake. thats why you might ask your roomate when the pizza is coming, when its 11am and you never ordered a pizza, thats what i always attributed it to...my gf used to hate me for bcause we'd eb fooling around and id starat talking about a foreman grill or something...hah always funny in hinds sight

I know what you mean hedon. When I take piracetam before going to bed the border between wake and sleep becomes blurred. This is unusual for me though, usually I just go into sleep paralysis but no dreams start.

Ive gotten sleep paralysis a few times in my life, the first two times it was really strange. I was going to go trip at a friends house with all my good friends (about 5 to 7 ) but I had gotten grounded (this was WAY BACK in highschool days....) and was not allowed to leave my house. So instead I got to just go to sleep while all my friends were having a blast....

I woke up arround 2:30 or so and at first i was really confused, I wasnt "numb" but my body felt like when your foot falls asleep... I couldnt move my body, and there was a carrier wave similar to that of smoked DMT or inhaled nitrous that kept rising in pitch, very slowly, in cyclces, so it would slowly rise then drop back down low and slowly rise again, and these cycles kept geting quicker and quicker until it b asically became a solid tone.

I was also hallucinating, seeing all sorts of shadows moving around, It looked like some strangely shaped life forms were doing some kind of choreographed dance or something.

I thought that this happenned because of the "psychic bond" that I had with my trippin buddies.

This continued happening a lot throughout my earlier parts of highschool.

Eventually I learned the best way (for me) to end it very quickly.

Since it already feels like I cant breath, I just try to hold my breath.

After a few seconds of trying to hold my breath all the sudden I will become coated in sweat, gasp for air and lift my head up, all at the same time.

At this point I am wide awake and totally normal , except for a bit of a buzz like an adrenaline rush.

hmmm I never knew this was so common, I don't think I know what it is exactly. A couple times most recently when I took a seroquel 25 mg i was just prescribed everytime I closed my eyes to go to bed I would think I was somewhere else or doing something then I would like twitch out of it and realize I was in bed. But I wasn't paralysed or anything and I knew what was happening. So I don't think SP is what I had it was more a weird dissacociation feeling when I would try to drift off then I would come to.

Hey..

I noticed that everytime I am having sleep paralysis, it is accomponied by shortness of breath. I am always struggling to breathe during my sleep paralysis sessions which makes them extra horrid... often times I will have 5-8X SP sessions in a row. I wake up gasping for breath, and by as little as "BLINKING TOO LONG", or letting my mind drift, I can slip into one again INSTANTLY. It's horrible!!! So terrifying and uncomfortable and frustrating... waiting patiently to be able to move and breathe again... Then when you finally wake, it happens againa nd again. One time I had something even worse than sleep paralysis-- it was a lucid dream which was like one layer deeper than sleep paralysis. I had the trouble breathing, but I was in a dream state where I was hallucinating a room filled with people and sounds and sensations of spinning around and all sorts of weird sensations. Since I was in a deeper state than usual, it took FOREVER to wake up as I struggled desperately to awake. I thought I was having a heart attack / stroke in my sleep or something because I couldn't wake up and was having terrible sensations like I was dying. When I finally awoke, everything was ok.

THE THEORY

I was told that sleep paralysis occurs from a lack of oxygen in the brain. It makes a bit sense to me, since drugs that slow down your breathing (opiates, xanax) seem to provoke it, and each time I am in sleep paralysis I am struggling to breathe. Maybe snorting OC clogs my nose and that is why? Also the respiratory depression from opiates... I am gonna try using nasal decongestants before I sleep and maybe that will prevent it... I feel like my body wont let me go into a deep sleep because I am not getting enough air.

What do you guys think about this theory? I often have extreme SP sessions when I wake up in withdrawal sometimes, and snort some OC and go back to bed (A sickening thing to occur, but very pleasurefull to wake up feeling shitty, snorting some OC, and drifting back into opiate bliss). Whenever this happens, though, I have numerous SP sessions.

My first few experiences with sleep paralysis were totally benign... I simply woke up, was unable to move at all, and that was it. I had learned about sleep paralysis in school and I knew what it was, so honestly it didn't freak me out.

Then, I went though a 30 day period where I had sleep paralysis either every day or every other day, starting off with what I can assure you was THE MOST frightening experience of my life.

The first thing I remember was waking up and hearing a noise on the other side of the room, it sounded like a plastic grocery bag crinkling. I couldn't move to see what it was. I could hear the radio playing, it was Coast to Coast AM. I could see my clock on the nightstand.

Then, I felt my entire bed start shaking, vibrating and jerking violently as if someone was underneath it kicking and pushing. I had an insane sense of horror throughout my entire body. Then I felt it. The sensation was as if something jumped onto my comforter and was slowly crawling toward the head of my bed. I could literally FEEL this, just the same way as I feel anything right now.

The next thing I knew, I felt like I was being tortured, PHYSICALLY moved around the bed. The freakiest thing is that I knew, I KNEW that a demon was torturing me. I could feel its presence like you feel the presence of a human when someone else is in the room. I was MOVED around my bed, and at one point I was pulled off the side of my bed but held horizontal with only my legs and feel remaining on the bed. My torso was held rigidly flat in an extremely unnatural way.

After what felt like hours, it was over. I spent the rest of the night trying to convince myself, against what EVERY aspect of my senses was telling me, that I had simply had a horrifying bout of sleep paralysis. To this day, I question whether or not I was attacked by some supernatural force and the scientist in me is simply dismissing it as patently false.

I was even more freaked out the next morning, because a wooden cross in my room that was hanging supported by TWO screws was lying on the floor, knocked off the wall somehow. Also, the evening before all this happened I was reading up on the TV series Dexter and read about how in the books, the author referred to "the silent passenger" some kind of demonic being in Dexter. The article mentioned a name of a demon well-known in pagan history, which I then read a short wikipedia article on. These coincidences freak me out to this day.

Your experience is typical for any sleep paralysis. I know the sensation is intense and you feel like a creature is laying on your chest pushing the air out of your lungs making it hard to breathe. The intensity doesn't seem to change with opioids but I can understand if it increases their frequency. I don't think I've had one that II remember while using but I've had my share of experiences.

Oh and there are no demons, end of story. :eek:

Anyone else get extreme bouts of sleep paralysis when they go to bed on opioids? I can pull myself out of sleep paralysis but it takes effort and on opioids it takes way more effort. SP on opioids is way more intense than usual and can get scary if I don't have the right attitude but when I go into looking at it like some kinda crazy rollercoaster ride then its great fun. Does anyone else here get sleep paralysis when they go to bed on opioids? Honestly its a unique experience incomparable to anything I've experienced in life. When you lie there for long enough you end up in a lucid dream so you get to see the whole process of falling asleep and ending up in a dream.

I have a theory on why I get SP on opioids. I think the body sends signals to your mind to make you wanna move and if you move the body knows you're still awake but on opioids you're so relaxed you don't bother moving so the body thinks you're asleep and shuts down even though you're still awake.

I know I am much more prone to get sleep paralysis if I am very sedated before I go to bed..yeah benzos or opiates would do it. Howver...that being said, being more prone doesnt mean it happens often; its very rare. But still, if i happen to be high in a sedated way as i fall asleep i've noticed it happened on several occasions.