• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opioid sleep paralysis

TheCrackFairy

Greenlighter
Anyone else get extreme bouts of sleep paralysis when they go to bed on opioids? I can pull myself out of sleep paralysis but it takes effort and on opioids it takes way more effort. SP on opioids is way more intense than usual and can get scary if I don't have the right attitude but when I go into looking at it like some kinda crazy rollercoaster ride then its great fun. Does anyone else here get sleep paralysis when they go to bed on opioids? Honestly its a unique experience incomparable to anything I've experienced in life. When you lie there for long enough you end up in a lucid dream so you get to see the whole process of falling asleep and ending up in a dream.

I have a theory on why I get SP on opioids. I think the body sends signals to your mind to make you wanna move and if you move the body knows you're still awake but on opioids you're so relaxed you don't bother moving so the body thinks you're asleep and shuts down even though you're still awake.

Thats an interesting theory about opiates and SP. I got lots of SP on opioids. And like you, I used to be terrified, but since I have it so often, I go into it like, here i go again, im in for a rollercoaster, i wont die no matter how scary it is. i began to even look forward to them. i also get SP from nicotine patches.

Yeah same here. It used to scare the shit out of me but after realizing there was nothing to fear enough times, I started to embrace it. I've been having it since I was a kid but when I'm on opioids it happens every time and its way more intense. I always know when I'm about to go into it because I get this sinking feeling and feel a high pitched sound, pulsation type thing in my head. Also the body doesn't shut down instantly, sometimes when I get that sinking feeling and decide to move I notice my body is only half paralyzed. The arms and legs get paralyzed first but I've noticed the face and neck never get fully paralyzed. The toes don't either.

I looked this up and there seems to be a connection between opioids and SP. Some people that claim to have SP all the time say opioids let them go to sleep without having SP. The complete opposite to how it is with me.

Last edited:
i get sp quite alot but its like 6-8 hours after dosing. I hate it so much, i got it like 5 times in an hour last week i woke up, went back to sleep etc. I didnt know what to do, i even ate and went back for it to happen again. I remember shutting my eyes when i was on opiates and thinking its a similar floaty feeling you get just before you go into sp so i dont know if there is a link, you do feel very floaty.

Another weird thing i get is i have the fan on and when im going to get sp, i keep twicthing and jumping and i can hear the fan noise getting loud quiete loud quete and this tells me im going to get sleep paralyisis.

they are awake, just cant move until the brain reconnects with the body.

I've been getting this frequently lately with my use and its absolutely horrible. Scariest experiences of my life

I have had sleep paralysis on and off drugs. I don't think opiates encouraged sleep paralysis at all for me.

I am interested to hear other people's opinions and experiences on this though.

Interesting, now that you mention it, I did get SP several times while using heroin..

Went along with some pretty freaky dreams as well. Havent experienced it at all since being clean (bout 9 months)

I've been getting this frequently lately with my use and its absolutely horrible. Scariest experiences of my life

Well, I can easily say it isn't the scariest experience of my life (hahaha... :|) but I remember it being one of the first terrifying experiences I had (because I first experienced it when I was really young like 5 or 6 years old, didn't know until I was much older what it was called, or that other people experienced it either).

It would really suck though, if you used to live in an apartment building like I did some years ago where there is a massive infestation of roaches, and you were experiencing sleep paralysis while a roach was crawling across your face, all you can do is panic while you are freaking out and wishing all you can do is thrash and slam your hands against your face due to the painfully sensitive tactile sensations of a roach crawling across you...

...and this continues for a good few seconds or possibly minutes while you are regaining the ability to twitch your finger, then budge your hand, and then lazily move your hands up before smashing the roach that's been torturing you.

That would be like, infinitely worse. Especially if the beginning of sleep paralysis is when the roach falls on you, or maybe starts crawling on you from one side or the other....

For real though, in real life when I experience sleep paralysis, what I try to do is begin by trying to move one tip of one finger the tiniest bit... and if it doesn't happen I keep focusing on it until I am able to, then when I am, I am utterly shocked (because you have no control over it happening, it just does...) and then I focus on moving a finger or two, and then my hand, eventually I can wake myself out of it. Even if you can budge your finger a little bit, that isn't instantly waking you out of it. I remember when I had sleep paralysis sometimes I would fade into/out of it, and then wake back up in sleep paralysis what seemed like 30-45 minutes later. :| Eventually I came to the conclusion that once I experience sleep paralysis, I need to wake up, because I fucking hate when it happens seemingly a million times in a row before you naturally wake up, so I focus on moving a finger/reconnecting with reality until it happens. Before I did this, when I would just try to focus on going back to sleep, it is better than just straight panicking, of course... but I can't stand to go through sleep paralysis multiple times in one "night's rest".

Anyone else have any tips on how they terminate sleep paralysis once they realize it is happening?

Last edited:
Man SP is some scary shiot the first couple times you go through it. Mine always seemed to be coupled with weird dreams though. I seriously had this reoccurring dream where I was trying to help someone from dying, running away from being killed, etc. then all the sudden my legs would go numb and I would watch the rest of the dream from third person trying to get myself to wake up or move. I remember having this helpless feeling in the dreams too. This feeling started to be amplified every time I would go into SP After these dreams I would usually wake up in SP too which, like the Capt said. is a horrible thing.

The only thing I could ever do to come out of it was exactly what Capt said the trying to just move the tip of your finger until the rest comes back. At first I would yell at myself (in my head) to move but that never really worked.

Man SP is some scary shiot the first couple times you go through it. Mine always seemed to be coupled with weird dreams though. I seriously had this reoccurring dream where I was trying to help someone from dying, running away from being killed, etc. then all the sudden my legs would go numb and I would watch the rest of the dream from third person trying to get myself to wake up or move. I remember having this helpless feeling in the dreams too. This feeling started to be amplified every time I would go into SP After these dreams I would usually wake up in SP too which, like the Capt said. is a horrible thing.

The only thing I could ever do to come out of it was exactly what Capt said the trying to just move the tip of your finger until the rest comes back. At first I would yell at myself (in my head) to move but that never really worked.
I have also had recurring dreams, some of which I can barely comprehend/relate to others. I have come to the conclusion that my mind enjoys being terrified I guess, and dreams are a way to entertain myself (or, another way of explaining what I am trying to, the perception of your experience during REM sleep is so unique that it has the sensation of taking up the entire time you are asleep, purposefully so, to keep your waking mind normal/used to the 6-8 hours asleep/16-18 hours awake cycle, and also why you don't wake up wondering why it's the next day, so you have some conscious memory of having gone to sleep and having been asleep for some time). - A parallel to this concept I am trying to discuss (that perception of time, and actual time are different) would be post-mortem DMT release and the after life experience, or what it's like to come out of a K-hole feeling that many, many hours have passed by when it was only 30 to 50 minutes long.

My first few experiences with sleep paralysis were totally benign... I simply woke up, was unable to move at all, and that was it. I had learned about sleep paralysis in school and I knew what it was, so honestly it didn't freak me out.

Then, I went though a 30 day period where I had sleep paralysis either every day or every other day, starting off with what I can assure you was THE MOST frightening experience of my life.

The first thing I remember was waking up and hearing a noise on the other side of the room, it sounded like a plastic grocery bag crinkling. I couldn't move to see what it was. I could hear the radio playing, it was Coast to Coast AM. I could see my clock on the nightstand.

Then, I felt my entire bed start shaking, vibrating and jerking violently as if someone was underneath it kicking and pushing. I had an insane sense of horror throughout my entire body. Then I felt it. The sensation was as if something jumped onto my comforter and was slowly crawling toward the head of my bed. I could literally FEEL this, just the same way as I feel anything right now.

The next thing I knew, I felt like I was being tortured, PHYSICALLY moved around the bed. The freakiest thing is that I knew, I KNEW that a demon was torturing me. I could feel its presence like you feel the presence of a human when someone else is in the room. I was MOVED around my bed, and at one point I was pulled off the side of my bed but held horizontal with only my legs and feel remaining on the bed. My torso was held rigidly flat in an extremely unnatural way.

After what felt like hours, it was over. I spent the rest of the night trying to convince myself, against what EVERY aspect of my senses was telling me, that I had simply had a horrifying bout of sleep paralysis. To this day, I question whether or not I was attacked by some supernatural force and the scientist in me is simply dismissing it as patently false.

I was even more freaked out the next morning, because a wooden cross in my room that was hanging supported by TWO screws was lying on the floor, knocked off the wall somehow. Also, the evening before all this happened I was reading up on the TV series Dexter and read about how in the books, the author referred to "the silent passenger" some kind of demonic being in Dexter. The article mentioned a name of a demon well-known in pagan history, which I then read a short wikipedia article on. These coincidences freak me out to this day.

Dokomo you sound like a classic paranoid drug abuser :p
no offense intended of cause ;)
If something happens you cant explain, pinging or not.
One word you should always turn to, as you said:
Science :)

I've experience VERY similar effects while on large amounts of weed and the days after having large amounts.

Although I must admit i have NEVER been physically moved around by some force, your house isn't haunted by some demonic being, I promise you.

Peace

Only serotonergic drugs cause me any kind of sleep paralysis, I have suffered bouts particularly after MDMA sessions. Opiates have never had this effect on me, I get a really bizzare kind of half sleep sometimes. Comfortable but not restful, it does not feel like I have slept when I get up and I am still vaguely aware of being awake while dreaming.

Dokomo you sound like a classic paranoid drug abuser :p
no offense intended of cause ;)
If something happens you cant explain, pinging or not.
One word you should always turn to, as you said:
Science :)

I've experience VERY similar effects while on large amounts of weed and the days after having large amounts.

Although I must admit i have NEVER been physically moved around by some force, your house isn't haunted by some demonic being, I promise you.

Peace

Oh believe me, I know. Bluelight is pretty much the only place I've talked about this just because I know how crazy it sounds. My friends and classmates would think I was totally crazy if I told them what I felt, it really is bizarre to know one thing and feel something totally different.

I'm a med student, my entire philosophy and education is dependent upon science. The only drugs I've ever (for all intents and purposes) used are opioids and I've never been addicted or had a habit so I don't think they're modifying my ability to reason (I hope ;))

Man i have been getting this sometimes and it fucking flips me upside down, i get to the point where i'm just about to fall asleep and start to dream but right as i do i wake up and can't move or really look around, and i get this crazy feeling that someone is in my room with a pistol shooting me and all i see is flashes, then i snap out of it and wish i could send myself back into it.

the dreams in which i'm dying are the best i've ever had

The only time I've experienced sleep paralysis was my first and only time using cocaine. I woke up thinking I'd had a stroke. :\ Never has happened with opiates, though.

Wow, I've had this happen to me a bunch. I never really thought of it to be from opiods...which I used to do a lot. Like I'd fall asleep then wake up, but I couldn't move my body at all and would try to kick or scream until finally after about 15 minutes of freaking out I'd kick myself out of it. I've also woke up straight out of dreams, like where I'll be dreaming, realize it's a dream and then instantly wake up out of it. Weird stuff, I always just kinda figured it was just because I was crazy, lol.