• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiod withdrawal

^I had decent luck with benadryl myself when in severe withdrawals; it didn't worsen any symptoms. I came across the following online. (As always, OP, take the various experiences of others here and decide if certain remedies are worth trying for yourself.)
"Benadryl can cause Akathisia in extremely rare cases. Of the nearly 45,000 people who have experienced side effects from Benadryl, about one tenth of one percent experienced akathisia.

Most of those patients had bipolar disorder and were also taking Ativan. As such, anyone worried that Benadryl has caused their akathisia could try stopping Benadryl for a few weeks. That said, it’s very unlikely Benadryl will actually cause the condition.

In some cases, Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can actually work as a treatment for akathisia. That said, studies that have shown its effectiveness against the condition were conducted with intravenous delivery."

Also, wiki lists diphenhydramine, among a number of other drugs, as having "tentative evidence of benefit" for akathisia.

So there's conflicting thought out there on the topic. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences Keif!

Last edited:
Warlowrider, ive read your entire thread , as a fairly new bluelighter and very recently off opiods i def feel your pain, i quit 12/9/18 not by choice though i ran out and the withdrawls that night was so horrible i had to wake my wife up and confess i wad a addict, my doc put me on clonodine and ativan which helped but honestly somedays it was like i was taking a tic tac, (no relief) but here i am fighting for my wife son and baby daughter and foremost me to prove im strong and can overvome this , im not saying im healed at all but ive come a long way. There are many good caring people here to help. So anyway just wanted to say, i feel you, i got you, and i among others are here for you!! Dont look back, George

The first week or two definitely weren't easy but the third is a little easier. I went to the sauna once last week when I was sick and it definitely helped me a little with withdrawal symptoms and get over my cold quicker. I read it gives you heat shock proteins which helps fight off sickness and disease. Among quite a bit of other benefits definitely recommend if you have access to one nearby. I'm going to go again today to go for a walk and hit the sauna again. Sleep has been an issues the past few days only getting a few hours maybe it's just my brain trying to re-stabilize I don't know but not having benzos to sleep has been hard for me lately almost more then dealing with anxiety.

I'm going to make an appointment with a psychiatrist this week hopefully they can help me with my troubles sleeping, anxiety, and twilight state I've been in lately. As I've been having trouble getting access to stuff as I moved and don't know anyone really. Which is a good and bad thing so I can't get more opiods easily though.

I got the sulphoraphane the other day it helped me focus better on things I'd say it has nootropic qualities for sure although not sure about the anti-depressant effects yet only took it one day. I read it helps causes phase two detoxification process as well which helps as I use to be a cigarette smoker on and off for a couple years. It gets different toxins such as benzene out of the body I don't know about which other ones in particular though. I'd say for the most part now it's all mental so I've been trying to eat healthier and working on a positive outlook towards life. Thanks for the support guys trying to stay strong.