• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiate Cravings

midgy

Bluelighter
Opiate cravings, specifically craving for sniffing (I am NOT an IV user of anything, never have), heroin. I am currently taking pretty low daily doses of dope(.3-.4 of a gram I would say something like that) along with OP's (around 30mg x 3-4x per day so up to 120mg per day spread out) to stay functional during the day. I need to make the full switch to OP's only, and then start bringing my dose down from there.

Is there anything out there that people found helps with cravings as I try to wean off. I guess thats just part of the mental toughness part to get past, but I am asking here to see what others have tried/if anything at all even exists to help, even just a little.

Thank you very much

Hey midgy! Yes, you're dealing with some pretty difficult stuff in terms of Opiate cravings. It isn't easy but it's certainly possible and we can help you through it.

First, do you have access to a prescribing doctor or otherwise have drug connections in your area? There are a few different drugs that can really help deal with cravings without setting you back or getting you dependent upon anything else.

Clonidine - It is a blood pressure medicine that relaxes the sympathetic nervous system. It often helps relax people and is especially helpful for sleep.

Gabapentinoids - Including the eponymous Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Pregabalin (Lyrica). These drugs can help relax you both mentally and physically. Especially useful for symptoms like Akathisia/RLS and in turn, insomnia. These are my magic bullet(s) for dealing with withdrawal.

Cannabis - Helps with a variety of symptoms ranging from loss of appetite, to anxiety, to insomnia.

These are just a few suggestions to start with. Please get back to us and let us know a little bit more about your situation and what you're able to acquire and such.

Loom forward to hearing from you :)

Is there anything out there that people found helps with cravings
I guess thats just part of the mental toughness part to get past
You said it there, yourself.
Nothing is going to satisfy that craving. But trying to occupy that feeling when it starts to come on is key. I find that getting lost in music helps. For me, it just brings me back to another time, another place, another space and I can just be, for a moment. Idk maybe I’m getting cravings and excessive thinking mixed up, but they go hand in hand, for me.

I don't know why gabapentin would be recommended to someone clean, for cravings. That is a horrendous drug to get off of. I had to go back on methadone to kick it. And kick methadone again. It only screwed up my brain.

For OP. Exercise. Eat right. Get healthy. Realize heroin is for low class, and you have now moved above that. Once you figure that out, you will not crave. That is the hardest part. One day you will cross paths with it again where it will be put in front of you. Plus you're clean. Why do you want to feel withdrawal again?

Weed will help too. No gaba, no benzos. Kratom you can try. If you are strong enough to kick dope, I doubt kratom will be an issue.

Last edited:
I too have been struggling! We can make it out of this together!

I've found that gabapentin helps if you can find it. Also, weed is very helpful. Most importantly, KRATOM. Kratom helped A LOT with the cravings.

Now, you can't only rely on other drugs to get off drugs. I would suggest exercising because 'runners' high is no joke. It is thrilling. Yogo is also good as well as any other physical activity. A therapist is good as well, you don't have to talk 'drug stuff' but I'm sure that's not all that is bothering you (I had a lot more to talk about about than drugs).

Finding a hobby helps as well. I'm a college student as well as a working EMT. When I find time and have the finances I like to get out and take horseback riding lessons. Find something similar. Replace your dopamine release with another activity. Overtime the cravings WILL go away my friend.

Best wishes

I don't know why gabapentin would be recommended to someone clean, for cravings. That is a horrendous drug to get off of. I had to go back on methadone to kick it. And kick methadone again. It only screwed up my brain.

Gabapentin helped tremendously with cravings and withdrawals for me. I only used it for about a week though, so perhaps you used it for too long? I have also taken gabapentin as an a prescribed anxiety reducer (900mg daily) and experienced no WD's quitting cold turkey.

This will sound like a broken record, but weed as well as being social helped me a lot. Personally speaking, when I'm high I cut myself off from life. I dont chat with my friends, go out or have many visitors. If I'm alone with my thoughts is when I struggle the most. Push yourself to be around friends (I know this is a challenge with covid), even phone calls are ok. By keeping yourself occupied your brain wont have time to dwell on using. Sometimes even a quick chat with a friend to say hello is enough to refocus my mind on something besides using.
Cravings suck, but its addiction getting scared. Use it as encouragement because the devil sees that he doesnt have his claws in you anymore. Youre stronger than you think you are, keep fighting. Wish you the best

Yeah, used it much longer to quit methadone some time back. So was on it for a few months. I just feel its bad to trade one addiction for another. Especially if you are clean and only craving. Certainly using gabapentin is preferable to relapse. But for most they will end up only with another addiction.

Going full out healthy as you mentioned is the only thing that works for me. New hobbies, school, etc as well. But there is something about taking your health back that eliminates the urge to use.

I just feel its bad to trade one addiction for another. Especially if you are clean and only craving. Certainly using gabapentin is preferable to relapse.

Yes agreed. But by the time the gaba kicked in, the original craving would have passed.

As I said earlier... anything to get you out of the headspace you are currently in at the moment.

I mentioned music, someone else mentioned exercise... try something for a few times consecutively, and soon enough You’ll retrain your brain to just automatically want to pick up [said] task once you start getting in that negative head space. Drugs won’t help you with this one.... unless you know that you need MAT like some of us do.

OP: you said it yourself. Mental toughness. Dig deep.

Last edited:
Hey midgy! Yes, you're dealing with some pretty difficult stuff in terms of Opiate cravings. It isn't easy but it's certainly possible and we can help you through it.

First, do you have access to a prescribing doctor or otherwise have drug connections in your area? There are a few different drugs that can really help deal with cravings without setting you back or getting you dependent upon anything else.

Clonidine - It is a blood pressure medicine that relaxes the sympathetic nervous system. It often helps relax people and is especially helpful for sleep.

Gabapentinoids - Including the eponymous Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Pregabalin (Lyrica). These drugs can help relax you both mentally and physically. Especially useful for symptoms like Akathisia/RLS and in turn, insomnia. These are my magic bullet(s) for dealing with withdrawal.

Cannabis - Helps with a variety of symptoms ranging from loss of appetite, to anxiety, to insomnia.

These are just a few suggestions to start with. Please get back to us and let us know a little bit more about your situation and what you're able to acquire and such.

Loom forward to hearing from you :)
Prescribing doctor, No, not a chance in hell. Drug connections, yes. I can get pretty much get anything online, I have connections to turkey and thailand for meds etc.. and can usually get stuff very cheap. Especially blood pressure stuff and non-narcotics etc..super easy all day.

Which is a better oveall choice between Gabapentin or lyrica?

Cannabis last time I tried smoking a little makes me super paranoid and stuff even though 10 years ago I used to smoke more than a chimney.

Prescribing doctor, No, not a chance in hell. Drug connections, yes. I can get pretty much get anything online, I have connections to turkey and thailand for meds etc.. and can usually get stuff very cheap. Especially blood pressure stuff and non-narcotics etc..super easy all day.

Which is a better oveall choice between Gabapentin or lyrica?

Cannabis last time I tried smoking a little makes me super paranoid and stuff even though 10 years ago I used to smoke more than a chimney.

Hey midgy, I hear you about not having a prescribing doctor. If you're able, I would get Pregabalin (Lyrica). It has essentially all of the benefits of Gabapentin (Neurontin), but with a little bit more effectiveness.

I really think you'll find that it helps with symptoms like Akathisia or inner restlessness quite a bit. I don't know about you, but this is one of my most dreaded symptoms.

If you have connections to India as you say, you might also acquire some Carisoprodol (Soma) if that is still available. To be as plain as possible, it is a pro drug for the delivery of a drug called Meprobamate (Miltown) that works like a Barbiturate. These will help with joint and muscle aches.

The Carisoprodol is a CNS depressant so you have to be careful if you choose to use with other depressants.

If you acquire Pregabalin, I would recommend titrating from say, 200mg up to 600mg per day depending upon how you feel. Let's start with this and let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

For OP. Exercise. Eat right. Get healthy. Realize heroin is for low class, and you have now moved above that. Once you figure that out, you will not crave. That is the hardest part. One day you will cross paths with it again where it will be put in front of you. Plus you're clean. Why do you want to feel withdrawal again?

Weed will help too. No gaba, no benzos. Kratom you can try. If you are strong enough to kick dope, I doubt kratom will be an issue.
I just started doing fasted cardio almost every morning and going back to the gym for the past week or so. While im there, I don't really think about drugs at all and it does help a lot. Problem comes because I live by myself now (Girl of 5-6 years just left literally 2 weeks ago, not because of drugs) and that set me back a little as it was a complete shock and naturally....well....I turned to drugs to help cope (She also took my dog that I raised since 8 weeks old which crushed me even worse than her leaving lol)

Hey midgy, I hear you about not having a prescribing doctor. If you're able, I would get Pregabalin (Lyrica). It has essentially all of the benefits of Gabapentin (Neurontin), but with a little bit more effectiveness.

I really think you'll find that it helps with symptoms like Akathisia or inner restlessness quite a bit. I don't know about you, but this is one of my most dreaded symptoms.

If you have connections to India as you say, you might also acquire some Carisoprodol (Soma) if that is still available. To be as plain as possible, it is a pro drug for the delivery of a drug called Meprobamate (Miltown) that works like a Barbiturate. These will help with joint and muscle aches.

The Carisoprodol is a CNS depressant so you have to be careful if you choose to use with other depressants.

If you acquire Pregabalin, I would recommend titrating from say, 200mg up to 600mg per day depending upon how you feel. Let's start with this and let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
Yes, the restlessness is intense for me too and I HATE it. Like I just have to get up and do something and then I start getting the cold sweats and its just a never ending cycle. Terrible stuff. Its so hard to believe they can make all these extremely powerful pills, but can't make one easy pill to get people off the shit LOL.

I will see about getting Lyrica

Gabapentin helped tremendously with cravings and withdrawals for me. I only used it for about a week though, so perhaps you used it for too long? I have also taken gabapentin as an a prescribed anxiety reducer (900mg daily) and experienced no WD's quitting cold turkey.
What did you quit cold turkey? What were you using and for how long? I hear so much about Gaba and 90% of it is all positive so I think im going to give it a shot if I can get it. Not sure if I can get it as I never tried.

Midgy, like I said earlier, the Gabapentinoids are like a silver bullet for the withdrawal Akathisia. Of course they dont work for everybody, but if you look around, you will find a lot of success stories.

These two drugs are also not cross-tolerance with Opioids, so if you use them for a couple of weeks to offset your symptoms, you wont be setting yourself back on your progress.

Gabapentin will do but Pregabalin is just a more potent form of Gabapentin to put it simply.

Its so hard to believe they can make all these extremely powerful pills, but can't make one easy pill to get people off the shit
Actually it’s not that hard to believe. That’s the point of big pharma getting rich rich rich

Actually it’s not that hard to believe. That’s the point of big pharma getting rich rich rich

Making new drugs is extremely difficult and usually costs billions to come up with a new one. There are people researching anti-addiction drugs right now, whoever comes with it first will make a lot of money, it's just a very hard and long process.
The guys that are actually doing the work and testing new stuff aren't some kind of evil minded vilans, they're normal people trying to solve some major real world problems.

Some pharma executives are assholes for sure, sometimes it's what it tastes to survive in an extremely competitive market.

There are people researching anti-addiction drugs right now, whoever comes with it first will make a lot of money,
Agreed. I guess I was moreso referring to [in the beginning] the more people that they got hooked, the more $. I guess the next natural step [now that everyone got hooked on pills, and they tightened the reigns on that, then people moving to street drugs] from there would be to try to come up with something to combat addiction. But addiction is nothing new. A little pill isn’t going to “cure” it. Although, they sure will market the fuck out of it. And all these poor, desperate people will try anything, while ca-ching ca-ching, more pockets are lined.

the best thing is exercise if I do press ups(until I can do no more) or jog and push the burn that helps (a lot) if I do both and have a bath I can't even feel the wd it can be hard to motivate yourself but at least you will get some sleep that's how I motivate myself to work out lol although I usually get enough exerciee walking 5 miles to my dealers every other day