• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Opiate and opioid withdrawal: Coping strategies and medication

Strangulation? Punching yourself repeatedly in the balls/clit?

(The second answer may not be entirely serious)

I have been able to white knuckle it without significantly increasing my benzo intake-.75 mg rather than .5 of Xanax. But this is only because I was taking 150 Mgs x 3 a day of pregaba and antihistamine. This is definitely enough to get me sleepy.

I belive that all 3 claims are backed up (excuse the pun) with significant evidence.

I heard the madddest idea for naturally producing endorphins the other day. Is is so mad tht I feel I should not post it, lest some of the more vulnerable members or lurkers take the suggestions too seriously, basically you'd need to have a paramedic or an ambulance available immeditealy as the only way of making this method potentially non-fatal.

If you know what im talking about and are already using these 'inappropriate coping mechanisms' on yourself then clearly that will need dealing with too. If you get access to a counselor whilst gong through your w/ds please raise this issue with them asap. :|

If you're referring to what I think you are: I can say first-hand the theory works, unfortunately if you think Diamorph/Oxy/Fent are addictive then you have no fucking idea just how incomprehensible a dependency on self-induced endogenous opioids is.

Don't even fucking think about it.

If nothing else helps my case then just imagine that level of depression and anxiety mixed with clinical hyperalgesia.

I'm tapering off a two-decade dependency of hydrocodone and oxycodone and have had the worst asthma attacks of my life. My inhaler doesn't even help much. I really want to quit and I'm wondering if this is anxiety-induced? I used to be addicted to benzodiazepines and getting off them was hell for months so I told my doc no Xanax. Could it be my addictive brain setting me up to stay on opioids? Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, is there anything I can do to manage it?

Controlled trauma/self-mutilation was my inference.
Hmmmm ..... That would actually make some perverse sort of sense: people become addicted to self-harm because of the endorphin rush it gives, both from the taboo-busting (take that, pesky survival instinct!) and the pain deliberately inflicted upon onself. This would be an unbelievably stupid thing to try at home, by the way.

I'm tapering off a two-decade dependency of hydrocodone and oxycodone and have had the worst asthma attacks of my life. My inhaler doesn't even help much. I really want to quit and I'm wondering if this is anxiety-induced? I used to be addicted to benzodiazepines and getting off them was hell for months so I told my doc no Xanax. Could it be my addictive brain setting me up to stay on opioids? Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, is there anything I can do to manage it?

It is not psychosomatic/anxiety-related, it is simply a scarcely discussed physical effect of abrupt discontinuation of effective cough suppressants, which includes all opioids. Whilst the intricacies of the causal mechanism are debated, I fear my ramblings about such would bore many half to death while not helping you in the slightest – generally the anti-tussive effect of opioids (remember Bayer’s miracle cough cure? ;) ) result from systemic smooth muscle relaxation which subdues the cough reflex and reduce the innate immune / inflammatory response.
Cessation leads to hypersensitivity in the trachea with excess contraction along with rebound prostoglandin/cytokine secretion leading to reactive inflammation.
A kappa-selective opioid would, in theory, eliminate the problem, as would Loperamide and DXM.

just made a boobie on script. Well pharmacy didn't have my subutex cause was on 2mg so pharmacy gave me 5 tabs of 0.4 mg n asked me to come back yesterday for rest of them. Not thinking I read it (the instructions on box) as take 5 tabs which I did yesterday n Wednesday. I'm assuming if I take 3 tabs today n tomorrow n then go back to 4 tabs that shouldn't affect progress much shouldnit?

I'm a complete n utter moron cause it's obvious that 0.4 x 4 = 1.6 mg
As I'm slowly transferring frlm Citalopram to sertaline, I think may bexaffexting me.

Mods: can I please PM one of you about having my detox thread moved to EADD from Recovery please? I promise not to argue with anyone who tries baiting me - but wish to document this all together n where I know people. I'm only asking here because whenever I try to pm one if you, you're inbox is full n thought would be easier to request here than pm, n then post back here to ask <3
PS: EADD's home <3

Evey

Last edited:
Evey, it would help a great deal if we could understand what the fuck you're on about...

I have had about 100-150mg oxy habit from prescription for about 3 years solid now for major back pain and just recently started a small but growing h habit to counter the high cost of oxy. I get a script of 120 10mg ir a month and though my pain is great I feel now is the time to stop and I have no choice to quit cold turkey because of a lot reasons that I don't have time to write out. Saturday night 3/19/16 will be my last dose and will wake up Sunday morning with no opiates in the house. I was able to get ahold of 35 .5mg of xanax and still have about 30 600 mg pills of methocarbonal( spelling?) for my calf spasms and cramps about 1gram of cannabis along with my gf who will get me all the fluids and food I can hold down. Will those meds and 5 full days at home be enough to get through the the major withdrawal process and allow me to get back to a fast paced cooking job I have on the 6th day? I'm scared for what's ahead cuz I know how I've felt the one time I was out for a day and a half so I'm assuming it's gonna be a mini hell and thinking I can probably knock myself out for most of this with the xanax that I have zero tolerance for. Your guys thoughts,advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated

Evey, it would help a great deal if we could understand what the fuck you're on about...

Sorry I've edited it to make it more clear. I waa mega busy yesterday so didn't have a chance to check for spellings n such. Thanks lol. It was just mentioning a mistake I mafe n asking the mod something since PMing the always appears difficult lol

Evey

I've read a lot of post and done some research and I know about the Thomas Recipe and all. I do understand everybody is different and also the mental part is a lingering thing too. My main concern is the harsh physical withdrawal portion that I need to go through and the time frame in which I should be able to function in the workplace without being a hot mess. I'm not by any means putting down or trying to downplay the whole recovery process at all because I'm aware it's a long road.

Hmmmm ..... There are only 12 months in a year, so you must be American .....

Getting off a drug is a very individual thing. Everybody is slightly different. It usually takes 2 - 4 days for heroin withdrawals to peak. But if you still have any longer half-life opioids in your system when you stop, they will slow the process down. There is a process, "Detox 5" where you are kept sedated for the whole of the first 3 days without opiates. Doing that yourself with benzos might well leave you subject to benzo WDs, though .....

Since you're going to be kick-starting endorphin production essentially from nil, you may want to end with a blow-out.

The h has only been for about a month and snorted not iv so I don't know if that makes sense but the oxy was about 15 pills of 10mg a day .

And no weed is not legal where I live and unfortunately only herb around is high end that I'm not willing to pay for plus I have to see somebody who might piss test me in about 3 weeks.

FWIW, the following significantly improved my most recent rattle:

Pregaba 150 TID
Loperamide 4 mg TID
Hydration-all the water and soup I could get down.
Antihistamine TID
Xanax .5 mg at bed time, may need .75 depending on your level of anxiety/RLS
Cough syrup with DMT-one dose at bedtime-do not get the non-drowsy formula.
Vitamins
1-2 glasses of wine-be careful and skip it if you're using benzos

I don't agree with the high dose use of pregaba or lope-I don't think it's necessary and it causes too many problems after detox. I wouldn't continue the benzos for more than 4 days.

Some people find magnesium helps with RLS. A lot of people get GI upset with this supplement so to tolerance. I find that a hot bath with lots of epsom salts helps enormously.

With the above combo, I felt somewhat high, but the withdrawal symptoms were muted. The really annoying symptoms-nausea, GI issues, anxiety, chills (try naproxyn or ibuprofen)were under control on the 4th day. I have to say your state of mind has a lot to do with your symptoms-recognize that they are temporary and you will get through them. Walking also helps.

YMMV but if you want to get sober, getting a support system, therapy, CBT etc is vital.

How is everyone? Im feeling like utter shit. If anyone says you cannot feel drop from 2 mg to 1.6 subs after 3 years they're lying. Roll on next wwek when I can take my sertaline n drop the citalopram. Feeling both hot n Cold at the same time, fatigued n like I want to smash someone's head in plus c/d. Oh the joys Relief coming soon hopefully. Yawning like hell n please soon let it be fkn bedtime!!!!!! And feeling achy. I've another 8 weeks of this bollox....

Evey