• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Older potheads: what lessons have you learned about cannabis use?

The Thought Police

Greenlighter
I started toking 3 years ago and have been blazing multiple times a day since. But the negative effects have started to become more obvious to me lately, as I don't really ever improve my life in the long term while I'm high. And, because I'm high so often, my life has kinda come to a standstill.

So, my question for older potheads (e.g. have smoked for 10 years or more) is: what lessons have you learned about using cannabis? If you could do it all again, would you change the way you used?

Most important rule regarding all drug use: use in moderation.

It also doubles as the hardest rule to follow.

Others (apply to all drugs, really, not just weed and weed-related products):

Know what you're putting into your body. Ignorance is not an excuse to "try it and see what happens."

Don't let drugs become a crutch. Use them to enhance your life, not to make it bearable.

Your family/social life should come first. Don't let your friendships wither away because you'd rather get high. This is especially important when retaining friends that don't use drugs, or don't use as often as yourself.

Will post more as they come to me...

Last edited:
I've smoked weed for 17 years. Had breaks in that time, but have always loved cannabis.

In that time I have learned;

-The less I smoke, the higher I get (in other words, if I smoked an ounce every month, and all day, every day smoking - my tolerance means that a don't get that high). Whereas if I smoke a couple of times a week - or month or whatever - i get really baked. Took years of smoking every day to work this out! You can chase a high so much that you end up building a massive tolerance, and virtually 'smoking yourself sober'.

-Smoking is unhealthy; investing in a good vapouriser is a great investment for health (and I've found that the effects are better [but slightly different] than smoking. Some people find the opposite - but my vape gets me far higher than smoking the same amount. Also - i can make edibles with weed that I've vaped - so I can get high on the same bud twice!

-Invest in a kid grinder if you haven't already got one - it lot only chops most bud up nicely, it provides a nice treat for an extra kick, or for when you run out or cannot get weed (I call this my "stoner insurance").

-If I am going to smoke, I avoid water pipes/bongs, change the water every time you smoke

-DON'T smoke mouldy weed

-Respect the power of weed (especially edibles). Be very careful mixing with alcohol or other drugs - such as psychedelics, particularly if you are not a regular cannabis user.

-People probably can tell you're high, no matter how "straight" you "act". Best not to turn up to inappropriate places stoned (such as work, or important engagements)

- Be aware of "set and setting" (don't get high in uncomfortable/unfamiliar surroundings unless you are confident to do so) or you're liable to get "The Fear"

-Have fun! There's no point smoking if you're not having a good time. Don't force it, or try to force other people to get high with you.

Hope these are some useful hints....

Last edited:
Try to grow a plant at least once. Either from seed or a clone, either inside or out. Watching a plant (or plants) grow then harvesting and enjoying the cannabis gives me renewed appreciation for the distinct sensual nature of the plant.

I live in California and am a medical marijuana patient, so I can grow my own. I don't grow my own every year. But you asked about lessons learned, and growing is learning (and visa versa).

Be mindful of cannabis laws in your area. In regards to growing of course, and also possession. If you are using cannabis in an area not designated for cannabis use, know what to do if you are caught by law enforcement.

Everyone in our culture should know what to do in an encounter with police, regardless.

they always taught me to stick to cannabis, all the other drugs suck

Try to grow a plant at least once. Either from seed or a clone, either inside or out. Watching a plant (or plants) grow then harvesting and enjoying the cannabis gives me renewed appreciation for the distinct sensual nature of the plant.

I like that one.

Becoming full MacGuyver can get intense. Dude from the housing commission told me how to use pasta as a lighter.

Taking breaks often is good, it helps your mind just get a rest. You sleep a lot more effectively with the amount of sleep that you get it's like your REM stage that benefits it the most I think.

I learned not to learn lessons directly from a substance, but through the help of a substance.

I don't smoke pot because it GIVES me ideas, inspiration, etc. I smoke pot because it HELPS me with ideas, inspiration, whatthefuckever
drugs should enhance your life, not be your life.

I also learned that getting high is fun.

Agree on vape, smoked for many years the switch was an excellent move.

Moderation... yeah... that's a good one... heheh

Try to avoid spending 5+ years doing nothing but toking and playing video games and watching anime

Don't let other people tell you what weed is for you - I hate toking in company, makes me uncomfortable and twitchy, much prefer toking alone.

I think a major thing I'd change was my misconception that it would be impossible/impractical to study and learn new things while stoned, or do other things that are more challenging that watching anime and playing video games. As it happens weed is a good accompaniment to most things that I enjoy. Almost assuredly makes it harder to learn short term but as long as you dose small and stay at a nice level, it's considerably more fun. I went through a long period from 18-26 (29 now) were my life was, as you say, at a standstill - don't let your crutch on weed keep you from doing stuff to move forward, if it does then I'd def look to cut back and get on track, life is more fun when you're moving forwards.

I learned not to learn lessons directly from a substance, but through the help of a substance.

I don't smoke pot because it GIVES me ideas, inspiration, etc. I smoke pot because it HELPS me with ideas, inspiration, whatthefuckever
drugs should enhance your life, not be your life.

I also learned that getting high is fun.

All of this. Also really caring about quality grade a shit.

My life is 10x better now that i smoke a slice a week, than when it was a slice every other day.

I've learned a good Indica will make me eat, sleep and relieve me of any day to day aches and pains, the main thing I have also learned is that I respect a well grown Sativa's ability to turn me into a rookie again in seconds even being a 10 year + smoker.

Shits just too intense for me, Indica ftw :).

I'm not old but smoked for 5-12 years.

What I learned is its a shortcut to meditation. In a literal sense. You have a beer, get off work, it takes you 5 hours of brainchatter and tossing and turning before you equalize.

Smoking pot, even as a child, instant cracking yer joints stretching, putting shit aside for sex and food.

Its earthy. Its intertwined in culture unlike most otha shit.

It changes character over the years. It becomes more unique and personal to a personality.

Its dangers are downplayed. No one high, is not sketch.

Legal weed is not herb.

The romance with the plant outweighs the high, for probably everyone.

I'm not an "older pothead" really, I'm just in my mid-20's (smoking since I was 17), but I just wanted to say that few posts in this thread are interesting & I'd like to re-affirm the "moderation" part. I smoke every day, but only at night after all of my work has been completed, as a reward for myself. The days that I just got blazed from the moment I woke up all ended in me doing absolutely nothing.

Lesson 1 don't get caught, ever, with any amount. That shit will come back to haunt you. Smoke at home and if you aren't at home be careful, never smoke while driving. If you live in a place where it's still illegal don't don't depend on one supplier because if he dries up you should have a backup. Buying on the street is insane in this day in age, I have done it and had weapons pulled on me too. It's the last resort I would avoid it all costs.
So much weed on street was grown by money hungry jerks and is full of unflushed ferts and god knows what else. You don't need organic, you just need to it clean. If you are smoking too much or not doing anything while stoned you should probably quit. I work stoned myself but maybe you should not, maybe you should only do it after work or on weekends, maybe you shouldn't do it at all. It's hard to say since i don't you.

What'chu mean?

ya my bad.

I was gonna go the rastfarian way with my explanation, but I think ill go with Rush. Lol. Not really my vibe, but, I'm reminded of that lyric/quote something like "his mind is not for sale or rent to any government."

When people.choose to break the law, I think it makes a statement. But at the same time, think about any pop culture staple. Like: dazed and confused (film) I.e. Its something that no one is afraid of u for being a criminal. Sort of a loophole that everyone agrees on.

You could rot in jail on one hand, but.a joint in like any sitcom or whatevr, is the one random thing any like teenage girl or Wasp wont bat an eye. So I mean,

when you frequent dispensaries, with roar zongs with rope candle things is more bilogical tryna get faded imo. When I first started smoking it was like the who/sgt peppers musics amazing, punk rock fuck my parents kinda thing. my .02