• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Old head, looking to set up some definitions and learn some things.

smokeymcpot42088

Bluelighter
Alright I am behind the times, I was once on the cutting edge i swear. Could you guys help me and the rest of the ignorant sort out some things.

Definitions--

Distillate---------/Difference between Full Spectrum and normal distillate? Why do some distillate carts cost like 10$ a piece and others cost up to 30, full spectrum carts usually on the cheaper end? Thoughts?

Live resin ---

Follow up questions? My understanding is live resin is superior to distillate......yet some distillate carts cost more than some of the live resin carts. Would it ever make since to buy distillate over live resin?

BHO---

Bubble Hash-

Kief-- Small particles, mostly THC crystals sifted through a screen. Kief is made by flower being sifted through a very fine screen. The finer the screen the higher grade Kief. Higher grade Kief tends to be a yellow-greenish powder. the more yelow the better IME. Dispensary puts kief at 50% thc plus or minus 10 percent.

now from a 12$ full spectrum cart to a 70$ rosin cart the THC level is quite similar, why such a price spectrum Crumble, shatter, THC-A crystals, THC sugar, live resin shatter. All seems to be about 80-90percent thc, obviously there is a reason and yea i notice it that some carts are 70 bucks and others are 12 despite having what appear to be similar test results?

Shatter- Amateur hour but how are yall doint your dab hits, heat the bowl and drop the wax in? Drop the wax in and heat up the bowl? Drop the wax in and heat up the titanium nail and touch that to it? I have tried all three of course and have found heating the bowl and and using the tool to press the wax agaist the side of the hot bowl and let it melt down.......what do ya'll do.

Newschool weed gurus make this thread worthy I beg of thee lol.

Now I have never offered to be a mod because i don't have the time nor the organization ability to make such threads but I am confused

now from a 12$ full spectrum cart to a 70$ rosin cart the THC level is quite similar, why such a price spectrum Crumble, shatter, THC-A crystals, THC sugar, live resin shatter. All seems to be about 80-90percent thc, obviously there is a reason and yea i notice it that some carts are 70 bucks and others are 12 despite having what appear to be similar test results?

I assume some of the difference has to do with quality control and manufacturing costs, even tho they're similar strengths

I assume some of the difference has to do with quality control and manufacturing costs, even tho they're similar strengths
Most certainly a part of it but there is no way I believe a 12$ cart is going to get me as high as a 50 buck gram of shatter despite them both saying about 80% thc. I know how strong placebo can be but i didnt just wander in the door and get all slackjawed. More overwhelmed with options and trying to get a good bang for my buck as well as an understanding of all of these new products and what each has to offer. One example I can give is that live resin carts seem to burn much slower than distillate and is definitely preferred, why I have no idea?

Salutations SmokeyMCPot42088,

Here's my recipe to idealized safety:

To follow « The Shortest Path of Lesser Transformation »​

Otherwise show me some absolute proof there's no exposure to potential « cocktail effetcs » from so-called "Pest Control Products " - which still include myclobutanil + its *NON-DETECTION* concentration level (more like an analytical instrument limit of resolution...), published « A Mari Usque Ad Mare », for all to see. Imagine... Myclobutanil, which by the way happens to generate HCN, a Level-3 item of the Chemical Weapons Convention (Zyklon-B)!

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

Dab hits. I haven’t had shatter in quite a while but I was literally breaking off a booger sized piece, loading it onto the dab coil of a dab pen, capping it off with the top and then hitting the battery.

Distillate can and does come from everything; flower, trim, leaves and in some cases stalk. The distillation is usually done through short path distillation and is simply collecting the THC/cannabinoids. everything else is discarded (or saved) and you are left with raw distillate. Containing little to no terpenes. companies can and do add botanical terpenes to get/add flvour.

That’s how we get some abominable tastes like gingerbread or artificial grape, cherry, citrus, etc. The good (or gooder) companies will add strin specific terpenes.

Straight distillate carts will usually be cheaper b/c pf either no need to add terpenes. Or no need to re-add terpenes that have been distilled out. In some cases, the terpene fraction is collected as the distillation proceeds. And then reintroduced to the distillate after it is clean enough.

A live resin cartridge is truer to the original flower. The flower is flash frozen immediately after harvesting with the chemical processing occurring on the frozen material. You’ll retain more of the original chemical components of the Cannabis flower and get a truer representation of the plant flower. It will taste better and quite likely hive a better high.

Why buy distillate cartridges? They tend to be cheaper and sometimes I actually like the aggressive, artificial flavours. One cartridge labelled as Banana Kush is distiallte with terpenes added so that it tastes exactly like banana pudding. I enjoy it and have repeat purchased it.

There is just so much chemistry involved. Me, I groove on/in that b/c I have a chemistry degree. I find detail…attractive.

The more work that goes into the distillation, recombining with terpenes, selections of atomizers for the cart (ohm resistances, etc_. - the greater the cost.

That’s about all I have at the moment.

Tom

The price comes down to the other additives. Only the most expensive carts are “single origin” meaning everything besides maybe a little PEG is from the same plant. Next up you have naturally derived terpene carts, the terpenes aren’t from cannabis but not synthetic. And finally you have your cheap fully synthetic terpene carts that you can buy for next to nothing.

It’s all about where those terpenes came from.

-GC

The price comes down to the other additives. Only the most expensive carts are “single origin” meaning everything besides maybe a little PEG is from the same plant. Next up you have naturally derived terpene carts, the terpenes aren’t from cannabis but not synthetic. And finally you have your cheap fully synthetic terpene carts that you can buy for next to nothing.

It’s all about where those terpenes came from.

-GC

I'm a little drunk and may not be following this very well but are you saying that the major price point with cannabis concerns the terpenes and their... uhhhhhh... "authenticity," for lack of a better word?

Or is that just how you define "top shelf," based on the overall terpene profile?

idky but it confuses me when you say it's all about where the terpenes came from, probably because I don't really give much of a damn for flavor so long as the psychoactive effects kick in the way I like.

@Jibult Here’s a couple of examples from a government weed store (so this probably isn’t a good representation of an open/free market.

1g Black Cherry Punch - live resin (it’s own terpenes) $59.95

1g Banana Kush - distillate plus added terpenes $44.95

Both will have THC ~85%+. Supposedly live resin cartridges will have a more well rounded high than distillate. Or get you higher. Or a more balanced mind/body buzz. I don’t know if that’s bullshit or not. I love the banana kush b/c of the taste. It gets me high and it tastes like banana pudding. Win win.

I haven’t had cartridges since June last year. They really mess with your tolerance.

Tom

I might trust freeze-dessicated non-compacted trichome glands but certainly not designer-dope, at least not in lack of proper labelling and restrictions which reflect posology (instead of anything else but cannabis).

Thank you Tom and Gchem between your posts I think I understand enough. Thank you guys for taking the time. I am wanting to know a bit more about egzoset was talking about.....I have mentioned that there aren't really any studies done with the potency of marijuana and hash we are currently using (not to mention cocktails).

Could you lamens how I could end up with a chemical weapon in my system from smoking any of these products and I will steer clear, as I did with carts for ALONG time until they got that vitamin E thing (i think it was) fixed.

What do you consider designer dope, noone is talkin about jwh or anything like that, not even thcp? They are supposably properly labeled, not like Canada thats forsure, more like you can call a # and get the details on the specific batch. (I believe as you would imagine i never followed up on this). I know it says what lab tested it and gives a serial # for every batch. I thought "eh probably safer than the blackmarket hash that often would be semi bunk....flavors sprayed, jwh, whatever a dealer can think of basically.

edit* tolerance is also a non concern. Permanent receptor damage is a true concern.

Last edited:
I'm a little drunk and may not be following this very well but are you saying that the major price point with cannabis concerns the terpenes and their... uhhhhhh... "authenticity," for lack of a better word?

Or is that just how you define "top shelf," based on the overall terpene profile?

idky but it confuses me when you say it's all about where the terpenes came from, probably because I don't really give much of a damn for flavor so long as the psychoactive effects kick in the way I like.

Yes. Thing is terpenes are much more than simply smell/taste, they effect the overall high. When you use a cart that is single origin, the terpenes are in ratios and quantities our bodies are used to. Cheap carts are often filled with synthetic terpenes both as filler and cuz people like the intense flavors.

It comes down to cost of ingredients, time it takes to produce, etc.

Now many of you must also be thinking, “well distillates take more time to produce they must cost more?!?” The reason distillates are so cheap is where they are often derived, which is from shitty B-buds and scraps that wouldn’t have sold otherwise. No longer do growers need to worry about a crop with no bag appeal, just extract it all and money can still be made.

This is why many of those cheaper concentrates (not carts, actual grams of conc.) are damn near devoid of terpenes. It’s partially the processing but mostly the starting material.

-GC

Attn: G_Chem,

Do yourself a favour by searching for occurences of "0.01 ppm":

2.0 Limits of quantification of the mandatory cannabis testing for pesticide active ingredients​

Then ask yourself if that ain't actually about (analytical) technology rather than individual molecules...

Not to mention i already attempted some contextualization of this story last year:

Health-Canada's list of Pest Control Products. (2021-Mar-5)​

Now lets convert it as "parts-per-billion" to ease it up a little.

It seems the *NON-DETECTION* threshold was set to 10 ppb, so this implies a pair of Pest Control Products add up to only 20 sq. ppb, while they multiply as 100 sq. ppb, if we may say so... The thing is that's with just 2 items taken out from a catalog of 96, hence C(96, 2) = 4560 possible combinations, 3 items translate as C(96, 3) = 142880 ... C(96, 6) = 927048304, etc.

Kapich? Maybe not yet. Years ago one of the political arguments revolved around a notion or "tracking" and i also remember GMOs & "Bio-Markers" were on topic too.

Well, let me submit to you that this catalog of 96 PCPs best serves indu$trials who can exploit the thresholds and avoid a "DETECTION" status, leaving artisanal cultivation far behind with some modest catalog in comparison. Which source do you think can afford the savvy synergy-boosted scenario$??

How about double greed pushing indu$trials to also used this resource as a tracker signature? ... Who's most likely to finance such "progre$$" in the future while we beg to remain guinea-pig$ forever?? Legal or otherwise?... My former "dealer" proved a lot more talented and proud, not to mention our mutual trust anyway.

Your child-proof (??) single-use plastic bottles and bags don't really inform us of that and what's forbiden is permitted, right?

T
Dab hits. I haven’t had shatter in quite a while but I was literally breaking off a booger sized piece, loading it onto the dab coil of a dab pen, capping it off with the top and then hitting the battery.

Distillate can and does come from everything; flower, trim, leaves and in some cases stalk. The distillation is usually done through short path distillation and is simply collecting the THC/cannabinoids. everything else is discarded (or saved) and you are left with raw distillate. Containing little to no terpenes. companies can and do add botanical terpenes to get/add flvour.

That’s how we get some abominable tastes like gingerbread or artificial grape, cherry, citrus, etc. The good (or gooder) companies will add strin specific terpenes.

Straight distillate carts will usually be cheaper b/c pf either no need to add terpenes. Or no need to re-add terpenes that have been distilled out. In some cases, the terpene fraction is collected as the distillation proceeds. And then reintroduced to the distillate after it is clean enough.

A live resin cartridge is truer to the original flower. The flower is flash frozen immediately after harvesting with the chemical processing occurring on the frozen material. You’ll retain more of the original chemical components of the Cannabis flower and get a truer representation of the plant flower. It will taste better and quite likely hive a better high.

Why buy distillate cartridges? They tend to be cheaper and sometimes I actually like the aggressive, artificial flavours. One cartridge labelled as Banana Kush is distiallte with terpenes added so that it tastes exactly like banana pudding. I enjoy it and have repeat purchased it.

There is just so much chemistry involved. Me, I groove on/in that b/c I have a chemistry degree. I find detail…attractive.

The more work that goes into the distillation, recombining with terpenes, selections of atomizers for the cart (ohm resistances, etc_. - the greater the cost.

That’s about all I have at the moment.

Tom
Thanks for the breakdown. I went looking for this info a while ago with no luck. I don't know why I didn't think of BL .
I really liked the 3 carts I got from Raw Garden.
Their flavors were downright yummy
Downside they really seemed to raise my tolerance . No no to that
I still vape them but only when I'm on a bike ride or need to be fast or discreet etc.
I find the less I use them , when I do it's a lot more enjoyable ..

Downside they really seemed to raise my tolerance . No no to that
Yes, concentrates will raise your tolerance. I know people who smoke dab a lot and are practically immune to flower now. Gotta take a T break every once in a while.
Like you, I only use certain stuff on special occasions.

Yes, concentrates will raise your tolerance. I know people who smoke dab a lot and are practically immune to flower now. Gotta take a T break every once in a while.
Like you, I only use certain stuff on special occasions.
The convenience the carts give is the biggest selling point for me. I like to smoke and ride my mountain bike. Makes it really easy .
I've tried mostly raw garden and a stiizy that had artificial terps. I got super stoned but the flavor was overly sweet. They have their place but flower rolled in rice paper or a glass bong is the best .

The convenience the carts give is the biggest selling point for me. I like to smoke and ride my mountain bike. Makes it really easy .
I've tried mostly raw garden and a stiizy that had artificial terps. I got super stoned but the flavor was overly sweet. They have their place but flower rolled in rice paper or a glass bong is the best .

I use them pretty much at shows and that’s it. Convenience is nice but yea if I can find any way to smoke flower I will.

-GC

...concentrates will raise your tolerance.

Actually that's a blatant lie. What's at stake here is the consumption method + ritual, not adapted to purity; while attacks against THC concentration are in fact promoting contamination, implicitely.

Actually that's a blatant lie. What's at stake here is the consumption method + ritual, not adapted to purity; while attacks against THC concentration are in fact promoting contamination, implicitely.

I think it also has to do with less variation in both cannabinoid and terpene content, which I believe helps cannabis flower be less tolerance inducing. With flower my dosage never really increases so long as I have 2-3 strains at all time and don’t use any for too long. Otherwise I’ll become tolerant to a particular strain fairly quickly.

Concentrates, the processing eliminates much of that variation. Certain terpenes can’t survive the process well, certain cannabinoids don’t get extracted as well as others, etc, etc.

I believe you’re partially right, the consumption method and dose is a huge factor in all this as well. But the main reason cannabis doesn’t accrue tolerance in the same way other drugs do is due to this large variation in psychoactive contents. Not many plants contain that many known psychoactives.

-GC

Have to chip in and say when i made some qwiso it blew my tolerance up the highest its ever been in just 2 weeks

I think it also has to do with less variation in both cannabinoid and terpene content, which I believe helps cannabis flower be less tolerance inducing. With flower my dosage never really increases so long as I have 2-3 strains at all time and don’t use any for too long. Otherwise I’ll become tolerant to a particular strain fairly quickly.

Concentrates, the processing eliminates much of that variation. Certain terpenes can’t survive the process well, certain cannabinoids don’t get extracted as well as others, etc, etc.

I believe you’re partially right, the consumption method and dose is a huge factor in all this as well. But the main reason cannabis doesn’t accrue tolerance in the same way other drugs do is due to this large variation in psychoactive contents. Not many plants contain that many known psychoactives.

-GC
I'm the same way. If I have a variety I don't build much tolerance . If it feels like I am I stop with that strain for a while and try a new one . The silver Haze strains for me seem to not build much of a tolerance. I like to mix it in. Fun stuff