• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Official 2011 NFL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
the best part of the game last night was the dead tunes going into and out of commercials.

wave your freak flag, san fran.

no way

i need the entire set list brah

playing in the band>big ben fumble blues>playing in the band reprise would have been sick

i love the san fran giants for their jerry day every year around the anniversary of his death

Right, he was totally serious when he said that. 8)

Yea, all while missing the keystone of their defense, Patrick Willis.

Yep, they cleaned the clock of a hobbled QB. HUZZAH! What a defense! 8)

Steelers were missing some key D stars and their starting Pro Bowl center too but its no excuse for their poor performance. Ben's willingness to play while commendable probably should have been overruled. IF these 2 teams meet again in the post season, it will be a very different game. A healthy Ben would have lit up that secondary. That last INT was underthrown and would almost assuredly been a TD to Wallace had he been able to step into it like normal. Anyway, the Niners are a good team and did what they were supposed to do at home.

I also disagree with a 5 yard chop block penalty giving the steelers a first down after it would have been like 3rd and 35. Oh well they shut them down on the next set of downs.

Small correction, the Niners penalty was for illegal contact. Chop blocks are 15 yard personal foul penalties.

the "best wr corp. in football" couldn't score a touchdown! the steelers were completely dominated on both sides of the ball and looked thoroughly ordinary. the steelers had the chance to grab the #1 seed and now they're looking like #5 again...

alasdair

Ben still threw for 300+ yds on one leg. Imagine the numbers he would have put up if healthy. Have a little perspective. By the way, last time Pittsburgh was #5 they won the Super Bowl so I'm fine with it. Meanwhile, Niner fans are hoping for a #2 seed so they dont have to face the Drew Brees show in the dome and an ugly weather day in Green Bay if they make it that far. They have been burned by teams who like to throw the ball and 2 of the best are in their conference. If they get behind by more than 2 scores in the playoffs, do you believe in Alex Smith to move the ball with urgency and make a comeback? I wouldn't because he has not shown the ability to do so yet.

it's good to have Wyld back in this thread!

thanks for bringing us your always sober, usually correct POV here

for our entertainment, here is a behind-the-scenes, between-the-scenes youtube clip of Troy Polamalu and Hines Ward teaching the Steelers locker room on how to properly shake your groove thing during a break from their Head & Shoulders commercials

Imagine the numbers he would have put up if healthy.
too bad football games are decided by what did happen not what could have or would have happened...

:\

alasdair

Last edited:
Ali - you must not have been watching the game. while I understand that rule, even Care pointed out that call was bullshit. the Steeler in question just didn't use any player as an object to leap up with. I understand not all here has such a firm grasp on the rules of footbaw as me, but damn ;)
you need to go back and read the rule (i quoted the current nfl rules for you so it's right there in post 912). i didn't say anything about using a player as an object and neither does the rule. your grasp on this particular rule is far from firm...
and is a New England fan really giving a Pittsburgh fan shit about defense?
the fact that new england has a poor defense has no effect whatsoever on pittsburgh's crappy defensive performance on monday night. i know it makes you feel better but i agree with you and it's irrelevant to the discussion.
if Big Ben were healthy...
...we could've scored around or over 20 points
if this, if that, we could have this, we could have that...

too bad for you that football doesn't hinge on what could have or would have happened but on what actually happened...

if poor people had more money, they'd be rich people...

:)

alasdair

too bad football games are decided by what did happen not what could have or would have happened...

:\

alasdair

You are correct. Now let's see how them Niners handle their first playoff game(s) in a decade. ;)

Andy Lee had a great game too and Alex Smith was solid. He might not be that high on the TD list but if he stays 31st on the interception list, with a great D and a good running game they will be dangerous.

Reminds me of the Broncos, but with a better passing game.

Not that hard to have a better passing game than Teabag but i bet the 49ers still wish they'd taken Rodgers in 2005 when they had the chance.

I definitely wouldn't use the word "great" to describe the Broncos defense though. They have some decent players, Von Miller has had a great season and IMO their D has been the catalyst for the offense to keep them competitive and allow Tebow to run around and create. But they've allowed twice as many points as the 49ers and given up 40 points in 4 games.

^ You also have to consider that with all the 3-and-outs that the Broncos have had, it gave the ball right back to the other teams offense, increasing the chance of the other team scoring more.

Ni bet the 49ers still wish they'd taken Rodgers in 2005 when they had the chance.

/WRISTS

Cal is my 2nd team in college football so I was totally in favor of taking Rodgers. At least Smith is showing some signs of competency after shitting away half a decade in SF.

Football games are decided by referees.

i hate that excuse

in all sports, 99% of the time the team who performs better wins, imo

most people fail to notice all the little things a team does to ultimately effect the game's outcome

Smith is showing some signs of competency after shitting away half a decade in SF.

every consider that just maybe mike nolan and mike singletary were two clueless head coaches?

every consider that just maybe mike nolan and mike singletary were two clueless head coaches?

Absolutely, he's also had a below average O-line most years. However even when he had time to pass and had open recievers he did not connect enough to make the SF passing game legitimate or instill much faith in anyone, not just SF fans like myself.

He still misses open guys too often, but the team has put him in good situations this year and he has made plays when it counts.

Just some food for thought, this is what the odds-makers are saying about who is the favorite to win the super bowl at this point in time

2012 Super Bowl XLVI Futures Odds
Money Odds (Payout Per $100 Bet.)
Arizona Cardinals +$40,000 (400 to 1)
Atlanta Falcons +$2,500 (25 to 1)
Baltimore Ravens +$600 (6 to 1)
Chicago Bears +$15,000 (150 to 1)
Cincinnati Bengals +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Dallas Cowboys +$1,500 (15 to 1)
Denver Broncos +$2,500 (25 to 1)
Detroit Lions +$4,000 (40 to 1)
Green Bay Packers +$180 (9 to 5)
Houston Texans +$2,500 (25 to 1)
Kansas City Chiefs +$30,000 (300 to 1)
New England Patriots +$400 (4 to 1)
New Orleans Saints +$600 (6 to 1)
New York Giants +$5,000 (50 to 1)
New York Jets +$3,000 (30 to 1)
Oakland Raiders +$20,000 (200 to 1)
Philadelphia Eagles +$2,500 (25 to 1)
Pittsburgh Steelers +$1,200 (12 to 1)
San Diego Chargers +$2,000 (20 to 1)
San Francisco 49ers +$1,000 (10 to 1)
Seattle Seahawks +$10,000 (100 to 1)
Tennessee Titans +$20,000 (200 to 1)
http://www.footballlocks.com/nfl_futures_odds.shtml

Packers seem like they are kinda overrated at 9 to 5 odds. Also the chargers being 20 to 1 (higher than the broncos) , and the eagles being 25 to 1 is pretty crazy considering how far back both these teams were. 49ers are the #5 ranked team odds wise!

Well i put 100 euros on the Packers at 5 to 1 before they played the Broncos in Week 4 so i'm pretty happy to have that. Packers - Ravens SB. I'll happily give up the dosh to see Sugar Ray lift it again :) 9 to 5 is terrible though. KC exposed them badly.

Tommyboy says the 49ers remind him of the Broncos but better passing game. They kind of remind me of the 2000 Ravens. The 10 to 1 about them isnt a bad price at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.