• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NYPD cops confused Jolly Rancher candies for crystal meth

Bluelight Crew
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...tal-meth-suit-article-1.1489293#ixzz2i3rekjok

This drug bust went sour.

NYPD cops nabbed a Brooklyn man for possession of crystal meth but the drugs turned out to be a handful of perfectly legal Jolly Rancher candies, a lawsuit says.

The cop who arrested Love Olatunjiojo confidently stated in the criminal affidavit that he had professional training in the identification of methamphetamine.

He might need a refresher course.

“I don’t know if these cops have been watching ‘Breaking Bad,’ but my client is not Walter White,” said lawyer Kenneth Smith, who filed the suit Tuesday in Brooklyn Federal Court.

Olatunjiojo, 25, and an unidentified friend had purchased the sweets at the It’Sugar candy emporium on Surf Ave. in Coney Island last June.

Several blocks away, the two were stopped by Officer Jermaine Taylor and several other cops who searched the men.

The cops told Olatunjiojo, who ended up being detained for 24 hours, it was “only a matter of time before they found something,” according to the complaint.

Taylor also claimed that he administered a field test to determine if the candy was narcotics and got a “positive” result, the complaint states.

Two “red crystalline rocks of solid material” and four “blue crystalline rocks of solid material” were then subjected to a gas chromatography/mass spectrometry analysis at the NYPD lab.

Two days later the results were in — Jolly Ranchers, not a controlled substance, Smith said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...tal-meth-suit-article-1.1489293#ixzz2iBdWzMS2

Why did they stop and search them in the first place?

This part of the Constitution is largely ignored by police:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Is there a lawyer here who can tell me why it is ignored?

Is it because we don't "protect the security of a free state"?

Lmao...first thing i thought was blue jolly ranchers and breaking bad. I mean how much meth do nypd cops see?? Not much. Maybe siu cops like narcs would know more, but avg joe street cop isnt going to know much about a drug hes never seen in person before. One thing tho, so he had 4 jolly ranchers? That is pretty hilarious. I can see the guy eating one and the cops gang tackling him and putting the choke hold on him yelling spit it out...stupid cops. Red and blue crystal meth...ive seen kinda yellow meth before but thats it besides white and clearish to cloudy crystals.

crystalline rocks of solid material.....

red and blue....

there are a million things that look more like meth than jolly ranchers, and i like how he tried to describe them like that to defend his decision, making them sound more suspicious

5544248591_3d0165fa74_z.jpg

Why did they stop and search them in the first place?

This part of the Constitution is largely ignored by police:

Is there a lawyer here who can tell me why it is ignored?

Is it because we don't "protect the security of a free state"?

NYC has a law where police can frisk anyone.

He could have used the jolly ranchers to make sizzurp, arrest that fker

Zomg, I completely have to make blue jolly rancher meth now.

I've made meth gum in the past by evaporating 200 proof ethanol saturated in meth on gum. Really good stuff actually.

This is utterly fucking ridiculous, hassled for a bloody lolly!

What I have trouble understanding is it says this arrest took place in June, it took only two days to determine that the Jolly Ranchers were not meth, yet they waited until September 19th to drop the charges? Why would you not drop the charges instantly, to me that comes across as a bit off and if it were me I would be pissed, even though the victim here would pretty much know they had fuck all to worry about you wouldn't feel 100% in the clear until the charges were dropped and I can't understand why he wasn't given that peace of mind as soon as possible after being hassled and arrested for nothing.

Also funny how the former DEA agent tries to cover for this dipshit copper by stating how there is meth that looks like red pop rocks candy, whether that is true or not does not change the fact this is a clear fuck up by the officer identifying this as meth. While I don't doubt that there is coloured meth around, mostly due to impurities from the cook, but perhaps also in some cases added as a marketing gimmick, that does not excuse the misidentification of such a common product as a hard drug and subsequently depriving two men of their liberty on that basis.

I hope these guys win every cent they are asking for, however much that is, hopefully it is a lot!

These guys are lucky the lab told them anything.
I am pretty sure people are just getting convicted for fake drugs now. If your lawyer doesn't exercise your right to get the sample tested independently you could easily be convicted of having something you don't. If its not a common drug in the area the cops probably don't know anything about it. An 18 year old BLer with a test kit is better at identification.My friend was held at US Canada border for few hours and told his Goody's headache powder was testing positive for cocaine. I don't think these idiots know anything about drugs even though its their "job". I have heard several people go right to trial with legal RC's after cops charged them with having MDMA. It seems like it's up to you to prove your innocence now, the cops want numbers and if you are innocent oh well, I hope you have a good lawyer.

Shit im 30 and i still love jolly ranchers for a quick sugar bomb. The cherry ones are my fav, the blue ones are good too. You gotta also want to fuck that cop up bc he tells the guys"its only a matter of time before we find something" meaning either cop to something illegal or we plant drugs on you.

Hey, I thought if you're not doing anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about?