• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

NPS Act Discussion V2. Novel, Psychoactive, Still here!

Si Dread

Bluelighter
V1...

Have an update! ;)

~Sprout

Two sources have come up with links today suggesting even more firmly that the PSA is to be delayed indefinitely after Police expressed concern that the new law was unenforceable.

Shelved, according to one of these sources.

This got fed onto my facebook feed - http://the-ata.org.uk/new-psychoactive-substances-act.html

hampshire-police-letter-29-03-16.png

& a friend emails me this - http://volteface.me/psychoactive-substances-bill-postponed-indefinitely/ which I'll quote in full to save you clicking links xx

After weeks of rumours, it has finally been confirmed that the much-maligned Psychoactive Substances Act (which was due to come into force on April 6th) has been postponed indefinitely.

In a post on the website of the Alternative Trade Association, a copy of a letter sent to the owner of a Hampshire-based headshop has been uploaded, in which the recipient was informed that despite the Act having passed through Parliament, and having received Royal Assent, the Home Office have now announced that

“the commencement date for the legislation would no longer be 6th April 2016.”

The letter went on to say that

“a new date for commencement has yet to be confirmed.”

What this means is that the Act – which would have outlawed the production and sale of anything deemed psychoactive under an entirely arbitrary definition cooked up by the Home Office – has been, for the time being at least, shelved.

Sources from inside the Home Office are still maintaining that the Act will become law at some point “in the Spring,” but given that the reason for this delay is said to be that the police themselves have called the Act unenforceable, advocates for evidence-based drug policy are rightfully (if cautiously) thrilled at the news.

Not only was this Act unenforceable, it also flew in the face of all of the evidence presented by decades of research. Most notably, and most recently, the passage of a similar piece of legislation in the Republic of Ireland. After the introduction of a blanket ban there, hospital admissions involving ‘legal highs’ dropped – something which the Tory government in the UK, in particular Mike Penning MP, were very keen to stress – but reported use of such substances increased. It was clear to everybody except those intent on banning everything that all the Act had done was to deter people from seeking help when they needed it the most.

On top of that, the Act was in opposition to one of the most basic tenets of British law – that our rights are not given, they are implied unless specifically prohibited by law. What this Act attempted to do was to turn that on its head, by claiming that our right to consume any substance was prohibited unless specifically allowed by law. It was from the very beginning an affront to common sense and British law.

Despite all of this, there was one sliver of hope buried in the Psychoactive Substances Act – the fact that it did not criminalise simple possession of ‘psychoactive substances.’ Many in the drug policy reform world had expressed relief at this fact, and had hoped that it showed that the Government were at least willing to accept that criminalising users is not the way to reduce the use of drugs, or their harm. A possible downside to this otherwise-excellent news could be an end (for now at least) to that line of thinking, but it shouldn’t be allowed to ruin the good news entirely. After all, many MPs are now on record as having stood in the Commons and stated, repeatedly, that criminalising drug users is neither necessary nor helpful.

The Act has been ridiculed by journalists and politicians from all points on the political spectrum, and for once even a significant chunk of the general public seem to have realised that simply trying to ban our way out of a problem of our own making is not going to help anyone. Here’s hoping that this ‘postponement’ will signal the death of one of the most scientifically illiterate and harmful pieces of legislation ever introduced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit I've mixed feelings. On a purely selfish level I was kinda hoping this would happen, I've now just wasted the last few weeks of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've friends trying to taper benzos n for them I'm glad. Apart of me is glad but Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

(is off to distract myself and re-think this....)

Evey

What about all the vendors who've already either shut up shop or flogged off all their stock in fire sales. Are any vendors (not asking for names) still just carrying on business as usual? If so that would be the best evidence of an indefinite postponement but from what I've seen most vendors have left the scene and shut up shop.........confusing.....

There's loads still trading and with the delay some have even made tentative restocks of the most popular chems (which have almost aready sold out out again)

Is there? Tell the truth I've not really looked. I only bought RCs a handfull of times and always from the same place and when I looked theyd closed down.

What about all the vendors who've already either shut up shop or flogged off all their stock in fire sales. Are any vendors (not asking for names) still just carrying on business as usual? If so that would be the best evidence of an indefinite postponement but from what I've seen most vendors have left the scene and shut up shop.........confusing.....

I am aware of at least three vendors who have publically announced a continuation...

I guess the fire-sale folks just had too much money to worry about it, & too much material to risk getting stuck with. Hard luck but a problem only the biggest vendors would have had & who cares about them, they're rich enough to retire to the Bahamas 1000 times over!

A friend in Wales reckoned many Welsh Head Shops had already arranged to vend their wares through local underground dealers & in some cases had distributed noids & other materials to them... I don't know how true this is...

Why has the position of the police on this issue, and the comment that "The Act has been ridiculed by journalists and politicians from all points on the political spectrum" only just been released:?

Only one of the handful of the vendors that I use have updated their websites with this latest development, so far.

The whole thing reeks of either sheer incompetence on the governments part, or of active and aggressive suppression of any unbiased and accurate refelection as to what was actually going on. Very fishy indeed.:sus:

"Labs that produce new legal highs use the simple expedient of giving them to their mates to test. But this liberty isn’t available to courts because “have a blast on this, your honour” turns out not to be a valid legal argument and giving mystery chemicals picked up by the police to human guinea pigs is a step too far even for the Home Office.

This exact scientific problem is why Ireland’s 2010 Psychoactive Substances Act, on which our new bill is based, had reportedly resulted in only four prosecutions by June 2015. Rather embarrassingly for the UK government, the minister in charge of the Irish national drugs strategy, with the full support of the Irish police, recently announced that Ireland will enact a “radical cultural shift” towards decriminalisation for recreational drugs, including cocaine, heroin and ecstasy, making the law on which our new bill is based obsolete."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/dec/13/vaughan-bell-legal-highs-psychoactive-drugs-bill

My mistake, the issues i mentioned at the beginning of this post were indeed being highlighted as far back as December last year, apart from the official letter from the police which was only released yesterday. Why didn't they say all this right at the very start? Very very strange.:sus:

Last edited:
Guardian have picked up the lastest news too!

The government’s blanket ban on legal highs that was due to come into effect on 6 April has been postponed for at least a month, the Home Office has said.

The Psychoactive Substances Act, which has reached the statute book, has been delayed following claims that its current definition of a psychoactive substance is not enforceable by the police.

The introduction of similar legislation in Ireland triggered a wave of closures of so-called headshops and online outlets that had been selling legal highs and it was anticipated that the introduction of a British blanket ban would have a similar effect. But there have been few prosecutions in Ireland so far because of difficulties in proving whether a substance is psychoactive.
Karen Bradley
Karen Bradley. Photograph: Steve Parsons/PA

The Home Office minister confirmed that the British ban would not come into effect on 6 April as planned but would be implemented “in its entirety in the spring”. Ministers need to give parliament 21 days notice when it is sitting of their intention to implement the ban, making 1 May the earliest possible option for its introduction.

“We need to ensure the readiness of all the activity necessary to enable the smooth implementation of the legislation across the UK and to support law enforcement in their ability to drive forward the legislation on commencement,” Karen Bradley told MPs in a Commons written answer slipped out on the day of the Easter recess.

The legislation aims to ban any substance intended for human consumption that is capable of producing a psychoactive effect, with a list of exemptions of substances in everyday use such as alcohol, nicotine and caffeine.
Poppers escape ban on legal highs
Read more

Poppers, also known as alkyl nitrite, were excluded entirely from the legislation after the government’s advisory committee on the misuse of drugs ruled that it did not have a direct effect on the brain.

Hampshire police have written to headshop owners and others selling legal highs to warn them that it is their responsibility to ensure their products are not harmful or banned substances, and that they are not enabling the illegal drugs trade in the UK.

Police Scotland and the Scottish government told a Commons home affairs inquiry last year that that the definition of a psychoactive substance might be problematic in ensuring successful convictions.

They argued that each successful case would require evidence from a qualified medical expert with experience of working with new psychoactive substances to be able to identify the substance and prove its psychoactivity.

from - http://www.theguardian.com/society/...nforceable-psychoactive-definition?CMP=twt_gu

I do curse myself for not getting into the legal high biz way early on...

About 75% of the legal highs have been a waste of time and money imo so in a sense you've saved yourself wasting a lot of money on crap that god only knows what the long term consequences of varying degrees of consumption will have. Of course it's most of the 25% that actually had any worthwhile properties that have already been banned. In many cases the substances that have been banned had been tested as relatively benign when dosed appropriately, and the newer substances that have no clinical data on their potential harms have seemed to be far more dangerous, even lethal. I think it's safe to say that concern over public health has never been what this Act was about.

Nah most are still going only one has closed down.

Evey

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that concern over public health has never been what this Act was about.

Which is about the only thing a useful government (as opposed to a tory government) is actually there for isn't it, protecting the public health? The laws against drugs use kinda fly in the face of that, & this PSA shite hardly improves that impression...

We got confirmation yesterday that the psychoactive substances bill has been delayed while the police and the Home Office try to work out what to do with it. It's been clear for some time that this was going to be the case, but a letter to a business owner from Hampshire police, published by the Alternative Trade Association, confirms it.

"I write with reference to the recent letter you received from the police," it reads. "The purpose being to provide you with a brief overview of the Psychoactive Substances Act which had been due to come into force 6th April 2016. Shortly after this letter the Home Office announced that the commencement date for the legislation would no longer be 6th April and a new date for commencement has yet to be confirmed."

The authorities are having the same problem the Irish had when they passed this law – and which the Home Office refused to properly address when it was rushing it through parliament: they do not know what the definition of 'psychoactive' is. The Home Office recently announced that it would exempt poppers from the Act, but taking a closer look at its reasoning shows that they are just as baffled by their own legislation as ever.

The technical definition of psychoactivity under the Act goes like this:

"(a) is capable of producing a psychoactive effect in a person who consumes it, and
"(b) is not an exempted substance (see section 3).
"2.(2) For the purposes of this Act a substance produces a psychoactive effect in a person if, by stimulating or depressing the person’s central nervous system, it affects the person’s mental functioning or emotional state; and references to a substance’s psychoactive effects are to be read accordingly.
"2.(3) For the purposes of this Act a person consumes a substance if the person causes or allows the substance, or fumes given off by the substance, to enter the person’s body in any way." [Emphasis added]

There are all sorts of obvious objections to this definition, which I've made at length in previous pieces. But even allowing for a generous reading in which we get rid of flowers and incense and nutmeg and all that silly stuff, it still falls apart rather quickly.

Poppers were exempted from the Act after the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) suggested they were not psychoactive. They had two reasons for this. The first was about harm and the second was about definition.

On the first, their argument was that poppers did not cause sufficient harm to warrant a ban. Very occasionally they cause damage to the eyes or they might burn the skin. Sometimes people dip their cigarettes in them and light them and get burned. But these situation are very rare. They are basically harmless. The National AIDS Trust and others warned the Home Office that, were they to be banned, their popularity among gay men could lead to averse health outcomes. The punters would still buy it, but now under unregulated conditions.

The reply to the ACMD from Home Office minister Karen Bradley neatly side-steps this claim. She quite specifically says that her acceptance of the advice is not about harm, but about the definition of psychoactive.

"Our acceptance of your advice brings to an end the review process we were undertaking in parallel to consider the case for a bespoke exemption for the alkyl nitrites group [of which poppers are a member] under the Act on the basis of their beneficial and relationship effects. The process to exempt substances from the Act applies only to substances which meet the Act's definition."

Don’t ask me what "beneficial and relationships effects" means. No-one can make head or tail of that sentence. But the overall meaning is clear: the Home Office is officially not responding to the argument on harm.

There's a strong reason for that: they're intent on not recognising arguments about harm, because that takes them into an intellectual territory they're not willing to visit. It means, for instance, that you would not ban laughing gas, which is really half the purpose of the Act. It means you would most certainly not have legal alcohol and illegal magic mushrooms. The entire drug control regime is based on ignoring arguments for harm. The argument made about gay men still buying the drug but under unregulated conditions has probably been accepted by the Home Office behind closed doors – but it cannot accept it in public, because it is one of the key general arguments for drug legalisation.

So the poppers exemption rests solely on the definition of psychoactivity: that a substance, "by stimulating or depressing the person’s central nervous system... affects the person’s mental functioning or emotional state". The ACMD then adds an interesting wrinkle to this. Their advice reads:

"The ACMD's consensus view is that a psychoactive substance has a direct action on the brain and that substances having peripheral effects, such as those caused by alkyl nitrites, do not directly stimulate or depress the central nervous system." [Emphasis added]

So now substances not only need to stimulate or depress the central nervous system, they must do so "directly". It’s not entirely clear what this means, but in the case of poppers, the fact it affects the blood vessels first, rather than the brain, seems to be the crucial element.

Anyone who has ever taken poppers is baffled by this. The most common result of taking this dreadful drug is a pounding headache, so it all feels very directly-affecting-the-brain indeed. But apparently scientists are content that it hits the blood vessels first. The ACMD have all sorts of odd positions when it comes to regulation, but when it comes to the science they are reliable.

Bradly approves of this new definition of psychoactivity.

"Having given due consideration, the government agrees with your advice and interpretation of the definition. We do so in the understanding that 'poppers' have these unique indirect effects. Our understanding is that this approach does not have any further implications for the operation of the Act and that other substances that the Act intends to cover are not affected. We remain confident that the psychoactivity of those substances can be established under the definition in the Act. We will ask law enforcement agencies to be guided by our agreement with your advice."

At the moment, the Home Office is certain that all the other drugs it wants to ban will also be included in this new definition. But they can't really be sure of that in the future. The indirect causation definition could provide a loophole for chemists trying to find ways of sidestepping the Act. But the Home Office won't admit that. I asked them several times last week if the Bradly letter meant they were accepting the ACMD definition of psychoactivity for all drugs, or just for poppers. They could not reply. Or would not. Sometimes it’s hard to tell. Given their refusal to comment, we have to take that paragraph at face value and conclude that direct causation is now part of the general legal definition of psychactivity.

Which goes some way to explain why the police are struggling to imagine how they'll ever prosecute anyone under the Act. The Home Office still, despite having actually passed the thing, does not seem to be able to describe what it is it is actually banning. And that's not even to get to the point where a pharmacologist is going to demonstrate it in court. The Bradly letter suggests that not only will the Crown Prosecution Service need to demonstrate the effect on the central nervous system, they'll also need to demonstrate that the effect is direct. The more complex the definition, the slimmer the likelihood of prosecutions.

Of course, this was all predicted in advance. It was precisely the problem Ireland found when it pursued the same folly a few years ago. And on any sane level of real-world experience, it is barmy. Who on earth knows whether the causal effect on their central nervous system is direct or indirect when they take a drug?

But beyond any of those objections, it remarkable that even at this late stage, with royal assent having been given, the Home Office still has no idea precisely what it is it has banned.

from - http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/201...bstances-act-delayed-while-the-home-office-wo

I fucking knew that this act wouldn't go ahead. I said it from day one, and I bet it never does. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Its somewhat similar to the driving while impared due to prescription drug law that came in last year. Police find it very difficult to prove actual impairment as a direct and only result of taking a medication as prescribed by a GP. I spoke to a specialist solicitor about this and he told me that they are finding it incredibly difficult to successfully convict anyone in court. Doesn't stop them charging people, putting them through hell only to have the case completely collapse once it reaches court. Total waste of tax payers money.

The Mirror has got this now too -

Tory ministers have been forced to delay their legal highs crackdown - after apparently admitting they're not ready to enforce it. Critics blasted the move as a "shambolic U-turn" today as it plunged the Psychoactive Substances Act into new confusion. A letter from a police force showed the original April 6 date to enforce the law has now been pushed back until at least May 1. It is another blow just days after Tory ministers admitted the Act could not cover poppers - despite previously insisting the sex aids would be banned.

Campaigners say there is still confusion around exactly what the far-reaching Act will prohibit. It outlaws all substances that "directly stimulate or depress the central nervous system", so is having to specifically exclude caffiene. But as the row over poppers showed, experts are split on how some drugs affect the nervous system.

Today the Lib Dems called on Home Secretary Theresa May to ditch the law - despite the Queen approving it just two months ago. Home Affairs spokesman Alistair Carmichael said: "While better late than never this shambolic U-turn will have caused untold confusion particularly amongst the police.

"The Psychoactive Substances Act is unworkable and lacks a clear evidence-base, something the Liberal Democrats have been saying from the start.

"Finally the Home Office is catching up but rather than postponing its implementation the Home Secretary should just admit she got it wrong and bin the legislation.

"I won’t hold my breath though – the Conservatives have always put sounding tough ahead of sound politics."

The delay was revealed when Hampshire Police wrote to the Alternative Trade Association of head shop owners, who fear the Act will harm their business. ATA spokesman Dave Bear told the Mirror: "It's disastrous policymaking terribly executed. The government's attitude to recreational drugs is counter to all evidence from experts.

"Our understanding is you can't predict from the molecular structure of a substance whether it will have a psychological effect.

"If they can, we're in Nobel prizewinning territory here."

The police letter said: "The Psychoactive Substances Act had been due to come into force 6th April 2016.

"Shortly after [a previous] letter the Home Office announced the commencement date for the legislation would no longer be 6th April 2016 and a new date for commencement has yet to be confirmed."

Home Office Minister Karen Bradley confirmed there was no set date - and admitted her department still needed to "ensure the readiness" of its schemes to implement the law.

She said: "We expect to commence the Psychoactive Substances Act in its entirety in the spring. We need to ensure the readiness of all the activity necessary to enable the smooth implementation of the legislation across the UK and to support law enforcement in their ability to drive forward the legislation on commencement."

A Home Office source told the Mirror April 6 had always been the earliest potential date for introducing the law.

Parliament will have to be told 21 days before it takes effect, meaning the earliest possible date it can take effect will be May 1.

from - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/government-delays-psychoactive-substances-act-7657730

Thank you, Dread, for updating us on this. Think they're a complete joke.

Evey

V I C E !

After an embarrassing setback with poppers a couple of weeks ago, the government has reportedly postponed the Psychoactive Substances Act "indefinitely".

In a letter to a head shop owner from Hampshire Police, published by the Alternative Trade Association, it was confirmed that "the commencement date for the legislation would no longer be the 6th of April, and a new date for commencement has yet to be confirmed".

To suggest the bill will be delayed "indefinitely" might be a bit strong; sources at the Home Office told volteface.me that the government still intends to pass the act into law "by spring" – and it's unlikely the Home Office would shelve such a highly publicised bill for too long. Either way, the hold-up comes as no huge surprise: the planned legislation – which, after a brief media panic got the public riled up, aimed to ban all "psychoactive substances" (i.e. the "legal highs" sold on the UK's high streets) – has been a disaster from the get-go.

As soon as the plans were announced, they were derided by campaigners, experts and activists, with even the home secretary's own advisers saying the bill would be "impossible" to enact – mostly because the Home Office wanted to ban anything deemed "psychoactive", which, technically, would have included alcohol, nicotine and food.

Humans generally depend on that last one to remain alive, and the government makes a nice bit of revenue taxing the others, so those three psychoactive substances were added to the "exemption list" – a load of stuff the Home Office decided it would allow people to put inside their own bodies.

Traditionally, politicians tend not to listen to the advice of the drug experts they pay to advise them – look at the case of sacked drug advisor David Nutt, for example; or the Home Office report that stated the war on drugs wasn't working, before being promptly ignored by officials in the Home Office. This exemption list was supposed to mitigate the issue of the government not really knowing what it was doing, allowing decision-makers to ignore rational advice and just add stuff to the list that it plainly didn't make sense to ban.

However, as the poppers news a couple of weeks ago proved, even that tactic has come unstuck. After Labour tabled an amendment to have poppers excluded from the bill, MPs voted to keep them in, meaning British retailers would no longer be allowed to sell them. A month or so later, The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs said that, despite the result of the vote, poppers cannot be included in the ban because they're technically not "psychoactive" enough to fall within the boundaries of the bill. Again: more damaging evidence of legislators not understanding the exact thing they're supposed to be legislating against.

If it had paid any attention to the current situation in Ireland before jumping in two-footed, the government would have known what kind of a conundrum it would now be facing. The Irish government issued a similar blanket ban five years ago, and while a load of head shops that had previously sold legal highs were no longer permitted to sell them, the trade just moved to the streets.

In 2011, 16 percent of those polled had used legal highs; in 2014, that number had increased to 22 percent. Worse still, the use of these substances in Ireland among young people is now the highest in the EU. Research suggests that the same migration of sales from legitimate sources to street dealers is already happening in England.

Another issue in Ireland is that the law, according to Det Sgt Tony Howard from the ROI's Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau, is almost completely unenforceable. To prosecute, the state must prove that a substance has a psychoactive effect, and this has proved a lot harder than legislators initially predicted. "We are relying on scientists to assist us with these prosecutions and, unfortunately, they haven't been able to provide the evidence to us," said Howard.

Plenty of the substances set to be banned under the bill should be banned; there's no doubt about that. Synthetic cannabis is a horrible, destructive drug, as are the "legal" alternatives to drugs like MDMA, LSD and cocaine. However, what's become starkly clear is that politicians should really take some time to work out new legislation, rather than trying to rush through ill-advised policy because of a media panic drummed up by conservative press.

The war on drugs, according to anyone with a working knowledge of the war on drugs, does not work. The tactic there – like the Psychoactive Substances Act – was to just ban everything and hope it disappeared. None of it has disappeared.

Let's hope this delay allows the Home Office time to properly consider what it's about to implement. Because, were it to push through the bill in any state close to what it currently looks like, it's not going to help anyone but street dealers, who'll see a sudden boost in sales. People aren't going to stop taking drugs, so instead of banning them all outright, it makes more sense to explore regulation options that would reduce harm caused to those who choose to use them.

However, considering every drug policy case in British history, it seems unlikely the government will take anything resembling a sensible approach, So, for now, all we can do is wait and wish.

from - http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/psychoactive-substances-act-delay

Thanks Dread, for showing us this. Funny I've just received an E-mail from my vender saying similar, obviously I can't say who the vender is or post what they've wrote they basically wrote that they are unsure as to when the bill will be implemented but do say that 21 days notice has to be given before it can be implemented. Wish I'd known this before but never mind cause what's done is done now it's nice being practically sober and no longer in panic mode lol.

What are people's thoughts, those of you still going through tapers? Relief? Annoyance? Frustration? Has this had an affect on your tapers? Given you temptation to go backwards ie take more benzos?

I'm going to have a thorough read of the EADD guidelines to see what I can and cannot say we rule one.

Edit: It seems rather silly that poppers was only addressed a few weeks ago. Surely they should have been addressed months ago? Seems very lax and un-organised, in my opinion. As for the bill being implemented "in the spring" not sure that would happen with the 21 days notice plus various discussions that would need to take place. Spring ends in June LOL.

Evey

Last edited:
V1...

Have an update! ;)

~Sprout

Yeh, can all be a bit confusing - especially the proof measurement which is an American system 8) I'm not clear on the details, but this system involved mixing booze with gunpowder. If the gunpowder would still light, the booze had 'proved' itself. The lowest alcohol content that would still ignite was defined as 100° proof (approx 57% abv). This is why the American Indians called it 'Firewater'...