• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

No effects whatsoever anymore from most drugs?

Antiprosynthesis

Bluelighter
I used.for the biggest part of my life about Any drug in extreme amounts almost non stop,.and after 20.years I suffer a great deal of damage:

I have serious problems with concentration and memory.due to which I.have serious.difficulties with having a conversations, with watching tv, with reading and so on...

I also got real bad in Social interaction and I no longer posess the capacity to do simple, practical things...

I developed a lot of irrational fears that make IT very hard for me to even Just go outside...

I also became very clumsy,.I constantly drop things and I AM no longer capable of for example eating in a civilized way...

I really feel handicaped...

Are these common things due to drug use and are these things caused by brain damage?

Hey buddy, I replied to your other thread about your psychosis symptoms as well but I thought I'd reply to this too.

It definitely sounds like you might have some impairment caused by years of heavy drug abuse. It does happen. The good news is that the brain is actually quite good at repairing itself if given a solid chance. Are you intending to stay clean off drugs in the future? Is this something you might need professional help with e.g. inpatient detox/rehab? It sounds like you want to live a more healthy and normal life now...?

Well, that is a difficult question to answer; I noticed the damage only really when IT was quite severe already and I wanted to live a better life so I stopped using for several years.

However, I used to have a drive in me to study various different subjects to such extent that I gained such control over some information making me very good in applying this information and using IT for my own benefit. I discovered I could use stimulants to push my boundaries and perform on an even higher level.

After years of being clean while not functioning well I really started to miss that kick of performimg on a high level, so recently I started using speed again hoping IT would give me back some of my capacities... IT does, the psychosis only sets in after some time.but before that time IT gives me focus, energy and motivation to process some amounts of complex information succesfully.

The Joy I get out of this is so big, that I seriously concider to keep using IT on a regalur basis...

Well, that is a difficult question to answer; I noticed the damage only really when IT was quite severe already and I wanted to live a better life so I stopped using for several years.

However, I used to have a drive in me to study various different subjects to such extent that I gained such control over some information making me very good in applying this information and using IT for my own benefit. I discovered I could use stimulants to push my boundaries and perform on an even higher level.

After years of being clean while not functioning well I really started to miss that kick of performimg on a high level, so recently I started using speed again hoping IT would give me back some of my capacities... IT does, the psychosis only sets in after some time.but before that time IT gives me focus, energy and motivation to process some amounts of complex information succesfully.

The Joy I get out of this is so big, that I seriously concider to keep using IT on a regalur basis...
Ahhhh I see. So you're damned if you do, dammed if you don't, kinda thing... That is very often the case when using our drug of choice/drug of addiction. It seems to help us for a while, and it appears to bring us joy, but at the end of the day it will ultimately be our demise. Alcohol is the same for me. I mean, I've been addicted to a bunch of other substances over the years, but alcohol is the one substance that has such a seductive stranglehold on me and WILL kill me. So if I want to live, which I do, I absolutely must stay away from booze. It really is that simple.

It sounds like things might be headed that way for you with speed. Your brain might be trying to tell you that it has had enough.

I used about every drug in my life quite extreme and I used stimulants daily and non stop for years.

Since some time hardly Any drug still works for me; only speed and weed and heroin van still give me some effects as far as I know, but about every other drug Just does nothing.

I don',t het drunk anymore not even after two bottles of wodka, GHB does nothing, I smoked 1g.of Meth in about 20 min and nothing, coke does nothing,...

And in all these cases the same stuff worked very well for my Friends...

How can this be and is there Any possibility this is not permanent?

And even the few drugs that still work for me don't give the same euphoria as they used to... This really is a huge problem for me ...

I suppose it’s possible you have been fucked up for so long that that is “normal” to you….if that’s the case only way to get back to being able to get high is a sobriety break to make your normal be sober

No, it’s due to chronic and systemic downregulation of basically all receptor systems. You think you’re being a clever poly drug user switching up substances, not quite getting habits — it’s really just creating one big super habit and at some point you have to pay the piper. This whole process is what got me to actually want to get clean - when everything you do is just side effects and more physical damage, it’s time to throw in the towel and seek new hobbies. I recommend zen meditation and kung fu. On the upside — the brain does recover quickly from the type of functional deficits you describe - provided you get some food/sleep and take care of yourself.

Last edited:
No, it’s due to chronic and systemic downregulation of basically all receptor systems and it’s what happened to me that made me want to clean up. You think you’re being a clever poly drug user switching up substances, not quite getting habits — it’s really just creating one big super habit and at some point you have to pay the piper. This whole process is what got me to actually want to get clean - when everything you do is just side effects and more physical damage, it’s time to throw in the towel and seek new hobbies. I recommend zen meditation and kung fu. On the upside — the brain does recover quickly from the type of functional deficits you describe - provided you get some food/sleep and take care of yourself.
I already figured IT would have something to do with what you Just said, I see no immediate alternative answer...

But I still enjoy smoking joints quite a lot, Im not quitting that...

I already figured IT would have something to do with what you Just said, I see no immediate alternative answer...

But I still enjoy smoking joints quite a lot, Im not quitting that...
I also have not quit smoking herb, or tobacco free snus, Occasionally I have severe chronic pain issues and require 5mg of oc but that’s as much as I’ll take, and only once in every two weeks. but everything else has gone and I’ve had to rebuild my diet to repair gut biome and address ptsd and other inflammation issues. It’s been … honestly empowering and awesome (after the heavy lifting of wding from so many different compounds, that was a mess). But as things even out I’m super glad not to be on that go round and just taking it easy and healing.

I also have not quit smoking herb, or tobacco free snus, Occasionally I have severe chronic pain issues and require 5mg of oc but that’s as much as I’ll take, and only once in every two weeks. but everything else has gone and I’ve had to rebuild my diet to repair gut biome and address ptsd and other inflammation issues. It’s been … honestly empowering and awesome (after the heavy lifting of wding from so many different compounds, that was a mess). But as things even out I’m super glad not to be on that go round and just taking it easy and healing.
Im glad to hear so, keep it up...

I AM still far from home...

No, it’s due to chronic and systemic downregulation of basically all receptor systems. You think you’re being a clever poly drug user switching up substances, not quite getting habits — it’s really just creating one big super habit and at some point you have to pay the piper. This whole process is what got me to actually want to get clean - when everything you do is just side effects and more physical damage, it’s time to throw in the towel and seek new hobbies. I recommend zen meditation and kung fu. On the upside — the brain does recover quickly from the type of functional deficits you describe - provided you get some food/sleep and take care of yourself.
Excellent post, and I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks so much for sharing your recovery story with us <3

@Antiprosynthesis after reading your posts today and learning a bit about your story, more and more I am thinking that getting clean and staying off all substances (except weed) for a LONG TIME is the best answer for you. It might not be the only option, sure, there could be other options for you. But I feel like total sobriety (except weed) is going to give you the best results as soon as possible. What are your thoughts?
P.S. I know you're coming down off a big speed binge so I won't blame you if you don't have any thoughts 😄 Get some sleep.

Excellent post, and I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks so much for sharing your recovery story with us <3

@Antiprosynthesis after reading your posts today and learning a bit about your story, more and more I am thinking that getting clean and staying off all substances (except weed) for a LONG TIME is the best answer for you. It might not be the only option, sure, there could be other options for you. But I feel like total sobriety (except weed) is going to give you the best results as soon as possible. What are your thoughts?
I really dont do that many drugs besides weed, so I think that things Will most likely Just work itself out, Im not planning on using speed again Any time soon, I think that's the most important thing...

I really dont do that many drugs besides weed, so I think that things Will most likely Just work itself out, Im not planning on using speed again Any time soon, I think that's the most important thing...
That's great to hear man.
I don't want to alarm you, but I just want to briefly mention that heavy weed use can occasionally cause psychosis in some people who are predisposed to psychosis. So if you find that you are experiencing the same psychosis that you've mentioned in your other thread, when you are only smoking weed and not using any other drugs, you will need to quit weed too and seek medical help. But see how you go.

That's great to hear man.
I don't want to alarm you, but I just want to briefly mention that heavy weed use can occasionally cause psychosis in some people who are predisposed to psychosis. So if you find that you are experiencing the same psychosis that you've mentioned in your other thread, when you are only smoking weed and not using any other drugs, you will need to quit weed too and seek medical help. But see how you go.
I realize that smoking weed OR hash would be a problem should IT give me psychotic tendencies, however I never before, not even once, exepierenced Any such things due to weed OR hash, so Im quite confident this Will not create Any problems...

I used about every drug in my life quite extreme and I used stimulants daily and non stop for years.

Since some time hardly Any drug still works for me; only speed and weed and heroin van still give me some effects as far as I know, but about every other drug Just does nothing.

I don',t het drunk anymore not even after two bottles of wodka, GHB does nothing, I smoked 1g.of Meth in about 20 min and nothing, coke does nothing,...

And in all these cases the same stuff worked very well for my Friends...

How can this be and is there Any possibility this is not permanent?

And even the few drugs that still work for me don't give the same euphoria as they used to... This really is a huge problem for me ...
Covid actually prevents people from experiencing a high.

I know loads of proper skunk smokers. Many have shared similar experiences with me.

My neighbour is one. He described losing smell and taste for about 3 months, and said he barely noticed the weed at all, no matter what, how good it was, how much etc.

Until time passed, his "senses" returned and he mega enjoys his spliff again.

I'm just saying, this thing has the capacity to switch off pleasure receptors, how we think and feel, and how we react to and experience substances.

Covid actually prevents people from experiencing a high.

I know loads of proper skunk smokers. Many have shared similar experiences with me.

My neighbour is one. He described losing smell and taste for about 3 months, and said he barely noticed the weed at all, no matter what, how good it was, how much etc.

Until time passed, his "senses" returned and he mega enjoys his spliff again.

I'm just saying, this thing has the capacity to switch off pleasure receptors, how we think and feel, and how we react to and experience substances.
I lost the ability to exepierence the effects from various drugs long before covid, so in my case I dont think that's the reason...

I lost the ability to exepierence the effects from various drugs long before covid, so in my case I dont think that's the reason...
Yes fair enough. I just thought to mention, as this is a real phenomena.

I would suggest tryng Kava, if you have not?

Because, it isn't the best or most sought after drug in the world, but the Kavalactones actively restore balance to the brain and neurochemistry.

Psilocybin microdosing with Lion's Mane or the full "Stamen's protocol", also may provide some healing and rebalancing/re-ordering.

The psychosis and damage is ultimately caused by over activity in the Glutamatergic neurons. Long term stimulant use at high doses leads to high Glutamate activity which can over stimulate the NMDA, AMPA and Kainate receptors. The more active these receptors become, the higher the concentration of Calcium (CA2+) Ions that are released into the neuron cells. Too much of this can ultimately lead to structural damage to the neuron cells and in more severe cases, lead to neuron cell death.

A similar issue occurs during severe Alcohol and Benzodiazepine withdrawal. Not because of increased levels of Glutamate, but due to the up-regulation of these Glutamate receptor groups, making more NMDA/AMPA/Kainate receptors available for Glutamate to bind to. Which ultimately has the same effect of releasing too many Calcium Ions into the neuron cells.

There's no quick fix to repairing long term damage. But there are a few things that can help. Such as taking NMDA receptor antagonists such as Magnesium Glycinate every day and Glutamate transport blockers like L-Theanine, which will reduce the amount of Glutamate in the Glutamatergic neurons and redirect it into the GABAergic neurons, boosting GABA levels through the GAD conversion process. Inositol can also help by promoting homeostasis and restoring the balance of function between neuron cells. You should notice a marked improvement in anxiety and depression levels over several weeks of consistent use, then further improvements in concentration and overall cognitive abilities with extended use.

Yes fair enough. I just thought to mention, as this is a real phenomena.

I would suggest tryng Kava, if you have not?

Because, it isn't the best or most sought after drug in the world, but the Kavalactones actively restore balance to the brain and neurochemistry.

Psilocybin microdosing with Lion's Mane or the full "Stamen's protocol", also may provide some healing and rebalancing/re-ordering.
Im not sure what to think about microdosing to be honest, Im not so sure if Any psychedelic actually posesses the quality to heal in whatever amounts...

I.used to be into psychedelics and I happily accepted those notions, but exepierence made me sceptical...

Besides, I quit doing psychedelics since I suffered An epileptic insult from LSD...

Last edited: