• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nicotine Addiction

I have successfully quit nicotine many times, by whenever I have a nicotine craving, I smoke larger than usual amounts of cannabis concentrates. Doing so completely eliminates any discomfort I was feeling from nicotine withdrawal and it also reduces cravings for a while after.

then it's much easier to taper down your use of cannabis extracts, way less addictive yet is calming and stress relieving in a better way.

I finally quit smoking, thank God. The only time I get any kind of urge is if I shoot a lot of coke..or dope..or drink. Or if I'm dumb enough to go to a meeting..hah, where people basically mainline coffee and cigarettes.

It does have some positives, besides helping alzheimers patients I think it has positive effect on memory as well, overall not healthy though.

What, specifically, are the short term dangers of nicotine (not nicotine combined with burning tar, etc, etc... but 'nicotine'?

What drugs are 'less dangerous' than nicotine' and what drugs are 'more dangerous'? All drugs have negatives and positives ya know. But lets not confuse nicotine with cigarettes, cigars, or chewing tobacco. They are not the same. Sprinkling a little h2o on cigarettes, letting them dry and then smoking them your entire life and attributing the dangers of smoking those to the h2o woudn't exactly be correct science, now would it?

And what are the long term dangers?

The limited research I did found little to no negatives of the substance nicotine taken in non toxic doses. It also revealed many positive benefits on brain chemistry.

I've been smoking for probably like 5 or 6 years too, (about half a pack a day usually, less towards the end), and i recently just REALLY STARTED to quit too.

I mean i just went TWO WHOLE WEEKS without a cigarette! So proud of myself. I had a slip up then, but I'm back on the wagon. Gonna make it my life this time (minimum 3 weeks at least)!

Being at home and not having a cig when I used to was easy compared to this:

Personally, I think that the social aspect of cig addiction is just as hard, if not harder, to break, than the actual nicotine dependency itself. The ACT of smoking, after sex/food/drugs/booze, the act of smoking in a group after you leave work/group anything. being around those folks, and being offered or having the temptation to ask for one in front of me, made it WAY HARDER than the nicotine w/d or the physical aspects.

For me I think it helped that:

1) i never smoked as much as many people do (i was average half a pack a day smoker, although there were points I got up to a pack a day for a week or two),
2) I really liked smoking BECAUSE OF OPIATES! Without a nice opiate high to add to it just doesn't have the same appeal (quitting opiates as well, i'm on suboxone but suboxone+cig is NOT the same as opana+cig). No reason to keep smoking if they wont get me higher!
3) stopped buying packs as soon as possible and started using ROLLING TOBACCO to discourage smoking (tobacco gets in mouth)
4) towards the end i really did try and wean myself off (got it down to ~2 cigs a day)
5) for after I made that jump, I had a bit of nicorette stashed up. Usually you use nicorette eto hop off like a pack a day habit and chew a lot, but I would just chew a piece whenever I was going to be around smokers (social) and be able to get a cigarette, or if I got a REALLY bad craving. But it was more useful for the first: if youre chewing a piece of nicorette and someone offers you a cigarette, youre more likely to turn it down.

I dont wanna die not being able to breathe. I have asthma, asthma attacks show me what its like to struggle for breathe. imagine breathing through a straw for the rest of your life, doesn't sound fun for me. One of the scariest experiences ever and makes me realize why water boarding works.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk anyone! HMU if you have a craving or just wanna talk about quitting or anything! Helps to share, especially cravings, and I'm very serious this time about quitting.

Personally, I think that the social aspect of cig addiction is just as hard, if not harder, to break, than the actual nicotine dependency itself. The ACT of smoking, after sex/food/drugs/booze, the act of smoking in a group after you leave work/group anything. being around those folks, and being offered or having the temptation to ask for one in front of me, made it WAY HARDER than the nicotine w/d or the physical aspects..

I completely agree. E-Cig's solved this problem for me. Very, Very cheaply too.

I dont wanna die not being able to breathe. I have asthma, asthma attacks show me what its like to struggle for breathe. imagine breathing through a straw for the rest of your life, doesn't sound fun for me. One of the scariest experiences ever and makes me realize why water boarding works.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk anyone! HMU if you have a craving or just wanna talk about quitting or anything! Helps to share, especially cravings, and I'm very serious this time about quitting.

I have asthma too, so the impact of smoking cig's hits me harder and much, much quicker than the average Joe. One piece of info I came across while researching e-cigs is that in fact one of the ingredients in e-cigs' (the 'carrier liquid' is also used as a carrier liquid/mist) in asthma inhalers. Might not make a difference positively but speaks to it's safety.

I predict that these things are gonna be huge for the same reasons that the quoted poster lists as why quitting is so hard aside from the nic addiction. I'm not a gambler but I am a positive expectation 'investor' so to speak as I have counted cards and played poker with successful financial results. E=cigs are gonna blow up on the us market eventually. I have already read articles about cancer dr's recommending them to their patients, etc.... cig taxes go up and up and up, etc, etc, as far as reasons cig's are becoming less desireable. And the dangers of e-cig's are??????? exactly what? And if there are dangers how do they stack up against sucking on the end of a car's tailpipe all day long for 40 years (hyperbole/drama for effect).

And since switching to e-cig's I started buying my own chemicals to re-fill the disposable e-cig cartridges I was buying at walmart. Now I'm taking in WAY MORE nicotine than I was as I buy pure (99.9%) liquid nicotine and mix it with a couple other things to re-fill the supposedly disposable cartridges. I LOVE nicotine now and my functioning at work has improved a lot, at least in part I attribute it to the nicotine. And now since the route of ingestion isn't mixed with burning tobacco leaves mixed with other chemicals (whatever the heck winds up in cigarettes) I'm not the least bit worried and actually consider it a positive addiction.

@Titus If I'm thinking about what your thinking I doubt you truly have 99.9% nicotine solution, considering it has 50mg/mL water solubility and even greater in ethanol (90mg/mL). If you do, i'm curious to see how you would dose it. In regards to your above post I completely agree. Just this past month or so actually I am noticing more and more e-cigs right up front at the counter at misc. gas stations.

Currently I am in a relationship with grizzly wintergreen 8(. I will look through these posts in an effort to quit (eventually ;)), thanks all.

I finally quit smoking, thank God. The only time I get any kind of urge is if I shoot a lot of coke..or dope..or drink. Or if I'm dumb enough to go to a meeting..hah, where people basically mainline coffee and cigarettes.

Congratulations man, I'm trying so hard. I'm not a daily smoker anymore but like you, I have my moments of weakness like on the nod, or any benzo, where I just don't care anymore and end up lighting one up. Feel like shit for it, have you managed to stay completely off them since that post?

I've been off cigarettes for 10 days after a 25-year habit. It's easy, as long as you have some powdered tobacco to haul up your nose about 4 times a day. Snuff's never been linked to any cancer, barring one Brit yokel who put it in his ear and let it sit there all day. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than e-cigs, and has the added benefit of being vile to everyone but you(at least during the nose-blowing phase).

Also, it's very important that nobody talks to you for the first three days, or if they do you must be able to say "I do not want to talk about this today". I can't stress enough how important it is for your friends and family to bugger off and accept the fact that you will hate them for three days, snuff or no snuff. There will be a part of your brain that will think "if I am a big enough jerk, they will beg me to start smoking again and then I'll get what I want". That part of your brain will give up and die after 3-4 days, and good riddance.

^ Thankyou dude, you just made me realize I do the same thing, Definitely going to work on this.

It's not hard to do it.

I quit IVing methamphetamine without any withdrawals.

I imagine having to quit tobacco must be way, way easier.

Dip's actually what got me on the nicotine train. I switched to cigs for social reasons. This thread has me seriously considering e-cigs.

Well I would just like to thank you all for the wonderful words or truth, wisdom, or encouragement. I am about 5 days from being 5 months clean on cigarettes, and about 4 months clean off nicotine all together. My winning tactic was a lovely vacation coupled with the nicorette lozenges, these allowed me to make the step into the replacement sphere, and it isn't all that hard to step down once your are on the gum/patch/lozenges. That initial step is the hard one.

I thank my girlfriend and family everyday, and I am thankful for the returning ability to breathe! It comes back!

<3

I found DXM's NMDA antagonist properties to be AMAZING at totally crushing all urge to smoke

Very interesting. how much dxm are we talking about?