• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nicotine Addiction

No. 1 rule in which I believe, is that cigarette/nicotine addiction is mainly psychological, NOT physical. There is definitely physical withdrawal symptoms. But trust me those are not the main problem. SO many people managed to stop smoking for a week or two or three and then relapsed many times. That wasn't the physical addiction, since that doesn't last long at all (few days actually). The main problem is always in our heads. Whenever we see somebody smoking at club, pub, bus station or just anywhere, it's a subconscious impulse to smoke. No way. You have to realize when that happens and ignore it. You need to be almost arrogant - in your head, don't speak it out loud: say in your head "I'm better than them. They're all losers. I'm not slave of cigs."

You need to make a clear decision in your head: I'll never smoke again in my life. If there is even the smallest doubt about that, for example "I could make an exception when I graduate" or "I could make an exception when I reach [whatever important goal]", you probably won't make it. The idea of never smoking again must be completely acceptable to you.

No. 2, this can be very hard too but definitely important. Try to avoid alcohol and any other drugs that cause you to like cigarettes more than sober, for at least one month, preferably two. If you're generally moderate to heavy drug user, this will be really hard because from my experience almost all hard drugs made me want to smoke more. But alcohol is the worst of all. You really want to avoid that for some time.

No. 3, all the things like e-cigarettes, nicotine plasters etc. can't help you with the psychic addiction. They mostly combat the physical addiction only. So if you eat lots of nicotine in any other form than smoking, it may make quitting easy for few weeks but it won't help you in the long run. If you still imagine yourself holding a real cig and like that idea, you can as well return to real cigs right now.

Because the nicotine itself is just part of the problem. People become addicted to the route of administration itself. There are lots of people who are addicted to snorting or IVing and smoking, and not so much the drug itself. Smoking delivers the drug into blood extremely quickly, in fact it's more addictive route than snorting. Society tends to consider snorting to be worse than smoking but in fact smoking is generally closer to IVing than snorting, it takes few minutes at most to reach full effect.

Sounds a bit depressing I know, but I think that's how it works. If you only try to defeat it physically but still like the general idea of smoking, there is high chance you'll relapse, even after many months.

I agree with this. It's certainly been true in my life. And I haven't read further in the thread yet. But I'm wondering the same thing I asked in my last post: What is the 'problem' with being addicted to nicotine? (I realize smoking cigarettes is mad bad for you, which is why I stopped...1000 times lol) but what is bad about the use of nicotine? Or the use in an addictive fashion? Some people prescribe to the notion of positive addictions. A psychiatrist named William Glasser even wrote a book titled 'Positive Addictions'. Assuming your not mixing nicotine with poison before using it, either occasionally or repetitively in an addictive fashion, what is the harm or bad in that?

You must start using E-Cigs. They have saved me from smoking...and its a program that you use yourself to wean off.

There are different flavored and strength juice that you refill the cartomizer (end of the e=cig) with.

Very cool, Ive been smoking one for the last month and its great. And you get your fix at first, and then slowly wean yourself off (if you want to)...There are NO health concerned with Nicotine, it's been used for years and is a great stimulant..and IMO better than coffee and better for you.

Ima vape for the rest of my life, same with weed. Although the occasional regular smoke or joint is cool with me, you only live once.

Look up, Canadian Electronic Vapor in google, youll get a bunch of searches with great info.

Good luck, cuz cigs STANKKKK

Big Up's for e-cig's bro! I'm a recent convert. Originally my plan was to use this as a transition to quit as the behavioral stuff associated with smoking is soo hard to kick....feeling like you have 5 hands and don't know what to do with them, triggers all over the place, strong social component between smokers, the hand to mouth, the inhaling and why everyone gets fat when they quit cig's and why chicks always go back to smoking... cuz they put on weight when they quit...

Now I'm very content, even excited and happy about being an e-cig addict. I get the bennie's of nicotine without the neg's of cigarettes. And now since I'm mixing my own liquid it's so cheap it's friggin ridiculous. I refill one of those disposable cartridges for soo cheap it's unbelievable (I know posting info about costs is against the rules, sorry If I'm breaking that rule here... but we are not talking about anything illegal... it's like talking about the cost of a hamburger or something).

Well, E-cigs certainly work well for some, but in my case and others I know, they are certainly no miracle cure.

I can't wait till the pharm companies finally come out with a straight NMDA antagonist (that has been development for some time and I believe is in early trials, but I could be wrong if they've even started those) pill for smoking cessation. I have a family member who works for a marketing agency for some biotech and pharm companies where I live and she's allowed access to this medication. She loves it (although she still smokes), because if she's in a big meeting or at a conference and cannot afford to smell like smoke (etc.), she has told me she just essentially takes some of this medication and the craves more or less disappear. I would have though BS, but given my experience with NMDA antagonists I do not believes she's lying or exagerating in the least.

I'm curious to learn more about this. Hope you post as you learn more. The one neg IMO about the e-cig's is that I get dry mouth, probably because I use a very, very high concentration of nicotine in my e-cigs (I make my own liquid using pure nicotine so can make them stronger than any you will every see advertized for sale anywhere) and get dry mouth and have actually had problems with de-hydration. Haven't done research to determine if it's the nicotine or the propylene glycol/veg glycerine (that is the main ingredient) but this is the only drawback I'm enountering.

I guess I don't want to be using these 5 years from now, but cost is like 2 bucs a week or something now for me since I make my own liquid refill

Absolutely! I'm gonna try to get back in touch with this lady I speak of at dinner tonight, so I'll keep everyone posted.

Shoot, I didn't realize e-cigs had become so inexpensive! I just might have to look into them again. I liked to use them in class while in law school (big auditoriums sometimes) ;)

Lucky you! We should extract whatever it is in your that makes this so and turn it into some crazy anti smoking drug... GIVE ME YOUR GEEEEENEs :)

I still count my blessings when it comes to the fact, after really trying, I ended up deciding I actually hate using needles. I'm blown away sometimes by what some people have to deal with when it comes to needle addictions. Not like smoking cigs is good for me, but at least I'm only one for two.. :\

I agree with this. It's certainly been true in my life. And I haven't read further in the thread yet. But I'm wondering the same thing I asked in my last post: What is the 'problem' with being addicted to nicotine? (I realize smoking cigarettes is mad bad for you, which is why I stopped...1000 times lol) but what is bad about the use of nicotine? Or the use in an addictive fashion? Some people prescribe to the notion of positive addictions. A psychiatrist named William Glasser even wrote a book titled 'Positive Addictions'. Assuming your not mixing nicotine with poison before using it, either occasionally or repetitively in an addictive fashion, what is the harm or bad in that?
You can be sure nicotine itself IS harmful. If you stop smoking and start using e-cigs or nicotine plasters, it is 100x less harmful, that's true. Still it would be stupid for a complete nonsmoker to start administering pure nicotine, thinking that since he doesnt smoke its OK.

Its not that easy to find information on nicotine itself. When you google nicotine side effects, most articles aren't really about nicotine itself, despite having it in headline. There are few things I'm sure about though:

First of all, it is quite toxic. Overdosing from smoking cigs don't happen because iirc you need like 100 cigs for that, you can overdose from plasters. Even that is very rare. But by using common sense, having even like 70% of lethal dose in your blood can't be healthy and reaching that is common.
Its overall stimulant. We all know that 99% stimulants in longterm are unhealthy for heart, overall blood circulation and proper sleep.
Reduced appetite and faster metabolism. Ironically this is usually considered an advantage but its not. If your constipated, nicotine helps you shit but its not for free, some parts of metabolism are kind of skipped so the body wont receive as much vitamins etc. from the same amount of food, as when the metabolism wasnt increased.
Releases adrenaline, which means higher blood pressure, higher demand on heart and respiration

Thats just what I know from memory, but I'm sure there's much more to it.

Also

wikipedia said:
At low doses, nicotine potently enhances the actions of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, causing a drug effect typical of those of psychostimulants. At higher doses, nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, producing a calming, pain-killing effect. Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative/pain killer in increasing dosages and use.

I don't IV most drugs anymore. :)

Tobacco is worse than needles IMO. I'm not advocating needles either, and hope everyone is able to quit whatever they feel they want to. <3

Been smokin for 7 years now. What i find is that i can cut cold turkey whenever ya kno. The problem though is that im addicted to the action of smokin, not the nicotine. Ya kno after a meal, when drinkin or whatever. Usually if im not smoking youll see me packin a fat lip of some timberwold wg. Good stuff =D

We got any dippers in here?

Lol, I used to enjoy a good fat lip. But no more, too nasty with the spit and all. I find it amazing how some people can just up and quit (such as my dad as well as you). But everyone's different...

It's not hard to do it.

I quit IVing methamphetamine without any withdrawals.

I imagine having to quit tobacco must be way, way easier.

True, a lot has to do with will power, and a real desire, which is lacking atm. However, I found heroin waaaaay easier to stop with pure will power than smoking. I am just so way used to it. Then again, I have been consistently cutting down and reacting my slow goals, so I'm not to concerned. You'll never catch me smoking 20+ cigs a day...

I found heroin to be the most addictive.

I don't get the drive to keep using alprazolam, I imagine it would be worse.

A friend of mine IV'd 0.5mg of alprazolam and exclaimed "that's better than heroin, I highly recommend that". Not my words of course... 8o

You are 100% right though, it is 100% about will power and self-control.

Other stuff certainly helps too, but I'm totally with ya. The mind is an extraordinarily powerful tool. Sad how easy this is in our time and place to overlook and ignore. Sometimes I feel such waste is even promoted by the state of things... Nonetheless I am confident of its unlimited potential, its infinite creativity.

Absolutely! I'm gonna try to get back in touch with this lady I speak of at dinner tonight, so I'll keep everyone posted.

Shoot, I didn't realize e-cigs had become so inexpensive! I just might have to look into them again. I liked to use them in class while in law school (big auditoriums sometimes) ;)

U have to research a place in china where you can purchase your own liquids to make the formula to re-fill either the (supposedly) disposable cartridges or the re-fillable ones but instead of buying the liquid premixed buy it from a place and mix yourself. I don't think it's breaking the rules to share info on where to buy legal things, is it? Can someone please let me know? I have no prob providing a link to the place I use. They have a calculator on the site where you can plug in the strength of the flavor you want, the strenght of nicotine, etc and the size of each your going to purchase and it will calculate for you how much it's gonna cost per ml. I've found that the cartridges I bought at walmart (like 5 for $14 and change) take about 1ml of fluid to refill. And it costs me roughly a dime to refill one lol

You can be sure nicotine itself IS harmful. If you stop smoking and start using e-cigs or nicotine plasters, it is 100x less harmful, that's true. Still it would be stupid for a complete nonsmoker to start administering pure nicotine, thinking that since he doesnt smoke its OK.

Its not that easy to find information on nicotine itself. When you google nicotine side effects, most articles aren't really about nicotine itself, despite having it in headline. There are few things I'm sure about though:

First of all, it is quite toxic. Overdosing from smoking cigs don't happen because iirc you need like 100 cigs for that, you can overdose from plasters. Even that is very rare. But by using common sense, having even like 70% of lethal dose in your blood can't be healthy and reaching that is common.
Its overall stimulant. We all know that 99% stimulants in longterm are unhealthy for heart, overall blood circulation and proper sleep.
Reduced appetite and faster metabolism. Ironically this is usually considered an advantage but its not. If your constipated, nicotine helps you shit but its not for free, some parts of metabolism are kind of skipped so the body wont receive as much vitamins etc. from the same amount of food, as when the metabolism wasnt increased.
Releases adrenaline, which means higher blood pressure, higher demand on heart and respiration

Thats just what I know from memory, but I'm sure there's much more to it.

Also

Thanks for the info, but keep in mind a substance and it's toxicity are really 2 separate issues. Anything in the wrong dose (toxic ammt) is toxic. I have had clients with polydipsia, it's basically a disease that compels them to drink water in such great quantities that they risk death due to water intoxication. Sure, it's MUCH harded to od on water than on nicotine. But that is not nicotine's fault, right? Responsible use of something is responsible use of that thing. Irresponsible use of something is irresponsible use of that thing. It's really not fair to attribute the danger of toxicity to the substance. It has to do with the responsibility or lack thereof of the person who possesses the substance. Rat poison is highly toxic but I'm not worried about it.

I just think people deserve accurate info so they can make responsible choices. Dealing with pure nicotine is more riskly than dealing with a lot of things. I deal with virtually pure nicotine but have no interest in ingesting it in that form anymore than I have an interest in swallowing drano. So I have educated myself to the risks and take precautions. I'd much prefer to have those risks in MY hands than in big brothers hands. Especially when he wants to reach into my pockets and take my money 'for my own good' to 'protect me' whether I ask for said protection or not.

the war on drugs is based on that same premise.

And while it's true that it is tough to find info on it I did some reaseach and found some positive info on it being used to good effect with alzhimers patients.

It does have some positives, besides helping alzheimers patients I think it has positive effect on memory as well, overall not healthy though.

I just think people deserve accurate info so they can make responsible choices. Dealing with pure nicotine is more riskly than dealing with a lot of things. I deal with virtually pure nicotine but have no interest in ingesting it in that form anymore than I have an interest in swallowing drano. So I have educated myself to the risks and take precautions. I'd much prefer to have those risks in MY hands than in big brothers hands. Especially when he wants to reach into my pockets and take my money 'for my own good' to 'protect me' whether I ask for said protection or not.

Well put. Frankly, no matter what the cost, this is one of the reasons I'm so hesitant to deal with e-cigs again... Call me paranoid, but we all have our phobias (and I think being afraid of concentrated, pure nicotine @ deadly amounts and concentrations is not so unreasonable). Shit, I don't even like playing with nicotine patches...

The nicorette 2 mg lozenges are boss. Kinda feel like a snus packet if you pack it in your lip. I'm down to 1-3 mg a day and some days without.. I'm keeping on keeping thanks for the words of encouragement / enjoyment!

The question is why are you quitting? Is it cuz its too expensive or yer tryin to save yer lungs? Why im sayin this is cuz if its for the money, you can always swith to cheaper ways of gettin that nicotine ya kno. You can always dip, i mean i do that wen im trynna cut back on cigs or you can buy some snuff (not recommended if yer trynna save yer nose cuz)