• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

New Orleans Saints Bounty Gate Scandal

my gut feeling tells me payton will not be asked to return to the sidelines by the organization

how does someone with any kind of integrity not fire the guy?

I have been somewhat neutral about this, but since I learned that the Saints had been warned about this a few years ago, and have since lied to the NFL by telling them that they stopped the program, I agree that they should be penalized.

It's not like he won't be pulling the strings during the season either. Are there rules in place to stop him directing play via tweets as he sits in his lounge room?

I was thinking about this same thing yesterday. The coaches have personnel that watch the game from up in their booths, and they are in contact with the coaches throughout the game. Who is to say that Sean Payton won't at least be able to contact those guys via his home computer or cell phone, and have them forward the information to the coaches. Now I don't know how effective that would be, however, some people are saying that the Saints may have to go the season without being able to hire an outside head coach as part of the penalty, so I guess he would be able to help if that were the case.

What do you guys think about Warren Sap outing Jeremy Shockey as being the "whistle blower" on the Saints' program? The ESPN analysts are saying that it's unfair because now no teams are going to want Shockey to play for them, but I'm not sure that many teams even wanted him anyway. Even if he was the guy that outed them, why did Sapp have to call him out like that? It's like he is mad that somebody tried to put an end to players being rewarded for intentionally injuring other players, so as fast as Shockey may be out of a job, Sapp will probably be out of one even faster.

ESPN isn't going to want to employ somebody with those types of values, especially when he can easily be replaced by some other retired players. He is not one of the better analysts. I was never a fan of Trent Dilfer or Teddy Bruschi (mostly because they played well against my team) but they are at least very good analysts. Warren Sapp though? Not so much...

Last edited:
everyone has a bounty program, show me otherwise and i'll show you a liar. everyone in every sport. Charles Barkley said he participated in bounty programs when he was a player and i don't doubt it spreads out to every sport everywhere. it's payment for a nice hit. i mean seriously? 8) but this is just another example of bad behavior and corruption in New Orleans coupled with the stupidity to leave a paper trail and a Commissioner who has to prove he has some control over million dollar man boys and who is hated by everyone in the NFL and you get The Saints being used as an example. I'll be pissed if the other teams with out and known bounties (like Atlanta) get away with it while I have to give up Sean Payton and probably my entire D-line for a year. Thank god we're an offensive not a defensive team otherwise I'd be in a panic.

my gut feeling tells me payton will not be asked to return to the sidelines by the organization

how does someone with any kind of integrity not fire the guy?

NFL doesn't care, if they cared they would have blacklisted him, and in New Orleans, as long as it's not a dead girl or a live boy, you still got a job. It might even be okay if it's a dead girl or a live boy because Sean Payton brought them their first ever ring. My gut says Payton will end his career in New Orleans, no matter if he doesn't win another game, much less another ring. What can I say? We like continuity, even if it's bad for us. (See: Ray Nagin, see: David Vitter, see: anyone else in New Orleans)

i file this in the 'sports fans are the most fickle bunch' file.

I'm not a saints fan, they're my team's division rival, and i think the saints got screwed for rewarding good playing. If I wanted to watch two hand touch, there's a gay category on x tube.

Damn, forgot about this thread....

Anyways, yes im a Saints fan, and yes I think the penalties are too harsh. I havent watched every second of game tape the last 3 years, but this bounty thing is blown way out of proportion. It was simply rewarding some of the not as well played players for big plays. The injuring aspect of it was simply a legal hit to kn ock someone out of the game. Anyone who has played football wants to do this to their opponent. Now it would be a compoletely diff story if a player was going for someone's knee or some criminal shit like that. But if there was a play where that happened, im siure it wouldve been all over YouTube by now.

With all that being said, Saints should've been way more on top of their shit considering how much the league has been pimping all this over-the-top safety crap. So after the Saints got their intial warning to stop, Sean Payton should've ensured it was put to an end. And thats where i think the excessive suspension really stem from. You were told a few times by the NFL and your boss, Tom Benson and you still didnt shut the shit down. So its hard to argue otherwise.

Im glad Sean Payton isnt being a bitch about it though and it appears he wont be appealing it. Just take your licks like a man,. Only reason i think he would appeal is to buy a lil more time to tie up some loose strings around the organization and/or find an interim coach.

So as much as i think the whole story got blown wayyyyy out of proportion. Sean Payton and the rest of the Saints should know better than to let something go, esp after they've been worn. They get payed to deal with the media and they lnow better than anyone how it would blow up. Its their own damn faults.

BTW....What do yall think of the Bill Parcells coaching the team for a year. There's a few minor problems but overall its a GENIUS idea! Hope it Bill Parcells and Saints can work something put. I was doubtful up until recently....It's really starting to appear like its gonna happen.

I mean Parcells will be taking the reins of a Super Bowl ready team. Say what you want about Parcells most recent teams, but he was asked to try to rebuild those organizations. And thats a hard task for any coach of any caliber. This would be a great opportunity to cement his Hall of Fame status. And if it doesnt work out, you could always reason that the team had too much to overcome. Honestly there's really no downside for either side. It's win/win. Thats if, Parcells really still has it in him to coach another season. Hope he does, cuz it's gonna be one hell of a story all season! And what better way to give Roger Goddell the finger than to be replaced by your mentor.

parcells sure had a lot of recent success overseeing the dolphins operations....

Rebuilding a CRAP team....and at this point of his career....it takes more energy than he was willing to spend on such a crap team. Now a SB contender, on a temp basis, for a good friend....I think its a rather unique situation and perfect fit. Parcells really wont have much to do other than just keep the ship afloat. He'd be more a symbol of consistency and leadership rather than actual hands on caoching. Everything is already set in place. The Saints are 2 years removed from a SB and the last 2 years they were serious contenders. Outside of bad playoff games on the road, they can match up with ANYONE in the NFL.

I think Peter King from SI is an extremely overpaid sports writer....but he really sums it up pretty well here.

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- At the NFL meetings every year, there's a Monday night reception with a band (Adele seemed to be the flavor of the evening last night) and most of the coaches, owners, GMs, league people and media mixing it up. At this little soiree, I got one question about 18 times: "You think Bill Parcells would come back?''

I do, under the right circumstances.

I covered Parcells for four years as a Giants beat writer for Newsday in the '80s, and have known him well since then. I watched a spring training game with him in Jupiter, Fla., on Monday. And so I've spoken with him about the Saints situation at some length.
And there may never have been circumstances more right than these for Parcells to get back on the sideline.

Five reasons why:

1. It's a 10-month job. Nine-, maybe, by the time Parcells would take over. Parcells, who will be 72 on opening day, insists on a one-year contract with ESPN because he doesn't want to be pinned down for longer than that.

2. It's with a legitimate Super Bowl contender. He's had Phil Simms and Drew Bledsoe, who were very good quarterbacks, but never a quarterback who's the complete package playing at this high a level as Drew Brees. It's a passing league. He knows he'd be able to basically cede control of the offense to Brees and offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael, sit back, and watch them put 30 points on the board most weeks.

3. He really likes Sean Payton. He'd be doing Payton a solid.

4. The money's good, or should be. Parcells owns horses and likes money.

5. It's fun. Maybe this should be No. 1. Parcells isn't one of those guys who got out of the game and said, "I'm sick of this stuff.'' He loves to throw out opinions on who's good and who isn't. On Monday, he sat with former Packers GM Ron Wolf, and Wolf is perfectly content in retirement -- doing other things like studying the baseball Cardinals roster (which Parcells does too) and discussing a recent educational trip to Cuba. Parcells has fun talking football. He was all abuzz about a trip to a coaching convention at Alabama last weekend. You could see how much he'd be into coaching one more time.

We'll see what happens. I don't think it will take long to decide. But the one immediate hangup would be this: If Payton decides to appeal the suspension to Goodell, he'd wait to hear the results before the Saints acted on Parcells. Because if the suspension is reduced so Payton would coach part of this season, he likely would turn to an interim coach on the staff instead of Parcells.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...bill.parcells.saints/index.html#ixzz1qSvE2ukO

Last edited:
i think he was there 3-5 years

that's plenty of time to turn around a team in the NFL

any team, no matter how much they are fractured, can be rebuilt in 2 years if done correctly

i really don't care either way, i just think if i were a saints fan i would not want this...why not bring in someone who can potentially replace payton, because he's damaged goods

he has a ring sure, but the last two post seasons, hardcore choke jobs, the year they won the superbowl they had some seriously generous bounces

let's not forget how awful the saints franchise was in the 70s, 80s and 90s

now that's a CRAP team

it was turned around

BTW....What do yall think of the Bill Parcells coaching the team for a year. There's a few minor problems but overall its a GENIUS idea! Hope it Bill Parcells and Saints can work something put. I was doubtful up until recently....It's really starting to appear like its gonna happen.

Parcells is a destroyer of franchises. The Dolphins are a heap of rubble now. What aspect of what he did in Miami endears him to you?

I mean, he passed up on Matt Ryan to draft an offensive lineman with the first pick--for a team that to this day desperately seeks a QB. For that alone, he should be tried at The Hague.

Last edited:
that greg williams tape was fucking awesome

god damn i wish he could coach the rams d next year

'i want you to jack that mother fucker up' 'the first one's on me' lol

damn, that recently released tape of Gregg Williams + the Saints is pretty damning, in the candy-assed eyes of Commi$$ioner Roger GODell. oh well Saints fans, welcome to the "Fuck the NFL Commissioner Club." us Steelers fans have been keeping the place real nice and warm. it's got that real "lived-in" look ;)

as for those Lilies of France, I just hope that this isn't the red-letter event that turns a once-dismal-now-proud football franchise back to those many Decades of Paper Bags

Looks like they were targeting the 49ers in the payoffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRfHi1rlLn8

Just by watching the game I would have guessed the opposite, that the 49ers had bounties on the saints. That hit on Pierre Thomas by Donte Whitner was absolutely brutal.

For the record, even though they were targeting my team I still think the league is going way overboard with all this.

It is cool that the 49ers seem to constantly be in the news for one reason or another, definitely the most talked about team this off season (except maybe the saints). I stick by what I said before the divisional playoff game against the saints, that game was the most important game for the franchise in a decade. They won, and now they seem to be all the rage even though they lost in the championship. Its a nice change I must say.

Last edited:
you'd be singing a different tune if his players had successfully followed his instructions to kill gore's head?

alasdair