• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Neville Wran's daughter Harriet Wran 'desperate' to buy the drug ice on night of stab

Harriet Wran got second chance at life after ice dealer’s murder

IN PRISON, surrounded by society’s worst, and kept hidden from inmates for her own protection, Harriet Langley Wran was the safest she’d been in years.
The 28-year-old daughter of celebrated Labor state premier Neville Wran and Woollahra socialite Jill Hickson Wran had hit rock bottom — no money, no freedom, but also no drugs.
By her own brutally frank admission it was the clearest she had been in a long time.

“I felt my thoughts and decisions were mine again,” she told a packed courtroom at the NSW Supreme Court on Thursday.
For the first time since she was 10-years-old Wran was free from either prescription or illegal drugs. Her mind was free to fret about the future and also chart her descent into a drug-induced madness that saw her caught up in the stabbing murder of an ice dealer.
Wran is awaiting sentence after pleading guilty to accessory to murder and robbery in company after prosectors dropped the charge of murdering Daniel McNulty, 48, last month.

Her ex-lover Michael Lee and Lloyd Haines both pleaded guilty to murder before their joint trial and are yet to be sentenced.
For Wran, the “cravings” for ice proved time and time again to be too strong. She just couldn’t refuse. And the havoc would begin.

5e7e695116e8af9d3f06afcb146f0910

ICE HELL

“I had done other things, ecstasy and cocaine but I never felt anything like what ice did. All my insecurities were just gone and everything that was difficult to deal with just wasn’t there anymore.”
The confidence the drug brought completely consumed her.

“I hated using it...I have cried all the way around to a dealers house.”
And yet, she did it.

By the time of her arrest she had been losing a battle with ice addiction for two-and-a-half-years. The most recent stint back on the drug had been five weeks. This time there would be no checking in and out of a rehab clinic. This time it ended in jail.
“I never thought in a million years I’d end up in jail — let alone for murder.”

Her dependency on drugs began as a child when she was given ritalin to control ADHD. It was a drug she was continued to prescribe until she was 23.
She took it, even as an adult, because she felt it helped her “function normally” and be less insecure. School hadn’t been a happy time, she said, and she had trouble relating to other girls.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/national/cou...r/news-story/16ec30b9e2ab1f5797f8da345708f460

Harriet Wran sentenced to minimum two years jail, eligible for parole next month, in relation to death of Sydney drug dealer

Harriet Wran, the daughter of late NSW premier Neville Wran, has been sentenced to a minimum of two years jail in relation to the death of a drug dealer in a Sydney housing commission block in 2014.

She will be eligible for parole on August 13 this year.

Daniel McNulty was murdered in August 2014 by Wran's boyfriend of two weeks, Michael Lee, and another man, Lloyd Haines, during an attempted robbery and botched ice deal in Redfern.

Wran pleaded guilty to a charge of harbouring, maintaining or assisting Lee at the time of the murder.

The 28-year-old wept in the dock as the judge accepted her guilty plea was indicative of genuine remorse.

Justice Harrison found Wran was not aware Lee was in possession of a knife until after he had entered the unit behind her and she therefore “did not contemplate that a wounding or stabbing or other substantial injury might occur during the robbery”.

The court was told two calls were made to triple zero. The first was terminated shortly after the operator asked what service was required, and the second was not recorded.

After leaving the unit Lee and Haines separated the money and drugs stolen from the unit. Lee and Wran then left in a taxi to stay with a friend, later becoming aware through media reports someone in the unit had died from stab wounds.

Justice Harrison said Wran had “maintained and harboured Mr Lee, believing him to be involved in the stabbing” for three days; first at the house of her friend where the pair stayed after the robbery, and thereafter by remaining in his company in private and public, including when she failed to draw him to the attention of police when she was stopped at Liverpool Station on August 12 or at any time before her arrest the following day.

He said Wran’s evidence had left him with “the distinct impression” that remaining with Lee was not something she would have done if she had the “presence of mind and emotional wherewithal to do otherwise”, adding her psychiatric problems and drug addiction were significant contributors to her offending.

“Ms Wran’s criminal liability has been generated not by what she did, so much as by what she failed to do,” he said.

Justice Harrison said he had no concern Wran would re-offend; that she was free of pharmaceutical drugs for the first time since the age of 10 and had been a model prisoner since her incarceration.

He said media coverage of the case had made Wran a “potential target in a dangerous environment” and she was put in protective custody after threats from inmates.

Wran previously told the court of her regrets over McNulty's death, saying "I feel terrible. I'm ashamed to have been involved in anything like that. I can't believe someone died. I can't believe someone was so badly hurt".

The court heard she was "relieved" after being arrested.

“I was relieved that it was over and that Michael was going to be taken away from me,” she said.

She revealed she developed anorexia, and then bulimia, in her late teens and that school was a "form of torture" for her.

"It's [bulimia's] the worst thing in the world, it's the hardest thing to deal with, it's the most shameful thing to deal with, it's so embarrassing, it's so disgusting yet it's an impulsive thing I can't stop doing."

She took Ritalin, prescribed for childhood ADHD, until the age of 23, and dabbled with ecstasy and cocaine before trying ice for the first time after a stint in a rehabilitation facility in 2011.

She told the court she had battled an addiction to methamphetamine for two and a half years and had relapsed in the days leading up to the murder.

"This time I had failed everyone, I had failed myself, I had failed my mum,” she told the court.

"I just wanted to hurt myself, I just wanted to use so much so I couldn't remember who I really was.”

Wran also told the court of “the most difficult time of our family life” followed her family realising the extent of her late father’s dementia, when she was 23.

"He was in the hospital and there were so many people there but there was a big division about what should happen to him and how sick he was," she said.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/07/26/09/51/harriet-wran-faces-sentencing#mK7LIdpwjgETuqgR.99

Something tells me she will be using again as she will get rich by selling her story to 60 minutes or someone and it will entice her to use again.

It is true. Everyone is equal in the eyes of the law....some people are just a little more equal than the rest of us.

Daniel McNulty’s murderers, Lloyd Edward Haines and Michael Lee, to face sentencing

33c6580bd94467ed171a2c5d2e8c4c6b

e483a4889b7e92a77653bd44b782f383

A MAN charged with the stabbing murder of Redfern drug dealer Daniel McNulty has likely been living with an undiagnosed brain injury for 20 years, a sentence hearing has been told.

Lloyd Edward Haines, 31, and Michael Lee, 37 pleaded guilty to murdering McNulty, in a botched drug deal in August 2014 — a crime in which Harriet Wran, the daughter of former NSW Premier Neville Wran, was present and admitted to being an accessory after the fact.

Wran also pleaded guilty to robbery in company and was sentenced to a minimum of two years in jail.

She is now due to face a parole hearing on September 9, having first become eligible for release on August 13.

During sentencing submissions in the NSW Supreme Court today, Haines took the stand to tell how he was “ashamed” of his role in the death of McNulty and the serious injury sustained by the dead man’s flatmate Brett Fitzgerald.

“I am ashamed of myself, and sorry,” Haines said.

The court heard Haines was “shuffled” between Sydney and Moree as a child and expelled from school in year 7.

Haines fell off a roof when he was 10 years old, and the court heard he could have suffered a brain injury that has gone undiagnosed.

He told the court he had never had a brain scan.

Justice Ian Harrison complimented Haines on his handwriting in the letter, and asked him who had taught him.

“My grandmother taught me to read and write,” Haines said.

“That’s an impressive indication of a number of things, that’s my view,” Justice Harrison said.

The court heard Haines relapsed into drug addiction after his two grandmothers died, but has gotten clean in jail.

Lee did not give evidence at the sentencing hearing.

During her sentencing hearing in July, Wran told the court said she was “ashamed to have been involved in anything like that”.

“I regret every step I took that night,” she said.

The court has been told it was Lee — then Wran’s boyfriend of a few weeks — who carried out the fatal stabbing, while Haines armed himself with a hammer taken from inside the Redfern apartment and attacked Fitzgerald.

Haines’ counsel has asked for a “disparity” in the sentence to reflect Haines’ involvement in the murder compared to Lee’s.

The court also heard “the pleas have value” as both men admitted to their roles in the crime on the eve of what could have been a trial spanning several weeks.

Justice Harrison will sentence the pair on September 29.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...g/news-story/9ba388c2252c3ba227aed0e903c901ee

'I'm very much in recovery': Tearful Harriet Wran is supported by her mother Jill as she walks free after serving two years over fatal stabbing of a drug dealer

A tearful Harriet Wran says she is 'still very much in recovery' as she walked free from prison three days after she was granted parole on the condition she would not touch alcohol or drugs.
The 28-year-old daughter of former NSW premier Neville Wran left Silverwater Correctional Facility, in Sydney's west, on Tuesday.

Wran's mother, Jill, arrived to pick her up just before 7am in a silver Audi A4 driven by her brother, Hugo.
At 7.05am, Wran left the prison complex with her family and tearfully addressed the media.

38432DED00000578-3786149-image-a-25_1473715553601.jpg

'I thought I'd come over and say "hello" because I know it's been a bit of wait for you too,' Wran said as her mother placed her hands on her shoulders in a sign of support.
'I've really just come to implore you to understand that I'm very much in recovery.
'It's going to be a long process and it's going to be hard.

'I ask you to understand, please, to let me do what I have to do in privacy.'
Wran cried as she made her way to the car after addressing the media and was comforted by her mother who gave her a kiss on the forehead.
It is believed the family were headed to their Woollahra home in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

Wran spent two years behind bars over her role in the murder of a Sydney drug dealer in 2014.
She has been eligible for early release since August 12, but a decision by the State Parole Authority was postponed last month for more documents to be prepared.
Under conditions of her parole, Wran cannot touch alcohol or drugs and must not contact the victim's family or her co-offenders.

She was granted parole on Friday and is subject to parole supervision until August 2018.
In addition to the list of parole requirements Wran must 'participate in psychological and psychiatric treatment as directed'.

The former Sydney socialite has been behind bars for nearly two years after being arrested over the fatal stabbing of Daniel McNulty, 48, in a Redfern housing commission unit in 2014.
Wran was sentenced in July to four years in jail for being an accessory to the murder.

CONT: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fatal-stabbing-drug-dealer.html#ixzz4K5ZNzHzV

Harriet Wran's ex and his friend jailed for at least a decade for murder

1475113993470.jpg

Michael Lee

http%3a%2f%2fprod.static9.net.au%2f_%2fmedia%2f2016%2f09%2f29%2f2909_lloydedwardhaineswran_a.ashx

Lloyd Edward Haines

Michael Lee and Lloyd Edward Haines will each spend at least a decade behind bars for the murder of Sydney drug dealer Daniel McNulty.

McNulty was fatally stabbed during a botched robbery at Redfern in August 2014.

Lee and Haines pleaded guilty to the murder in June and were today handed a minimum term of imprisonment of 13.5 years and 11 years respectively.

Lee's then-girlfriend Harriet Wran, the daughter of former premier Neville Wran, was released from jail earlier this month after serving a two-year sentence for her role in the robbery and for harbouring, maintaining or assisting Lee after the murder.

Today, Justice Ian Harrison told the NSW Supreme Court he found Lee, 36, and Haines, 31 were each equally responsible for McNulty's death, despite Lee striking the fatal blows.

The two men had the opportunity to retreat but resorted to the use of weapons and left no regard for their victim, Justice Harrison told the court.

Following her release from prison, Wran, 28, said she intended to spend time recovering from her drug addiction.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...rug-dealer-daniel-mcnulty#tRegcSOWg0SjKLDp.99

Last edited:
Is there something I can call meth with that cute "ie" ending, a la calling members of motorcycle gangs "bikies"?

ebola

Louie was a common as term used in 90's for speed and some less educated drug users called ice smokable Louie when ice was becoming more prevalent around the late 90's but 16 years on this particular term Louie is no longer common. Just like bikies cook up and produce crystal meth these days and don't bother making old school speed as there is no demand for it. In the stimulant using circles i move in i haven't come across powdered speed since 2009.

The poor baby 8)

"Waaah I was high on drugs, that should minimize my responsibility for the reprehensible shit that I took part in!" Fuck that. I used to slam "ice" and I'd never stab someone to death over drugs. You thought that there'd be no consequences for robbing a drug dealer? A meth dealer? Where I'm from you'd better be ready for blood to be spilled if you want to engage in "strong arm robbery" of that type. This entire story makes me sick. It's people like this who give all drug users a bad name

It sounds like she is turning state witness against the other too in order to not get murder charge. Pretty much standard MO for prosecutors in the U.S. system.

You too ay?

I was getting it about 4 years ago in 2011 then that contact died up the ass.

So it goes...Can't have fun always.