• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

needle broke off in arm

helpmegod

Greenlighter
an old needle i was using broke off inn my arm. I went to the emergency room they did an xray and they can see it its about 1centimeter. The dr says it needs to come out but there are no surgeons there to remove it on the weekend someone will call me monday to set up an appointment with a general surgeon. i go there the aaame day the dr doesnt even look at the xray and says hes going to leave it in there. i go back to the emergency room nto tell them what the surgeon said aaand to find out why he wont remove it and i dont think he got an answer he was looking for either a nurse practioneer in the emergency room so he comes back with a list of surgeons to call . They all belong to the same office as that other surgeon who wouldnt do anything. I call a surgeon they tell me they never got a call like this and to go to the hospital connected with them another emergency room. i wait from 2pm in the afternoon till 1am just to hear the surgeons there wont do anything either. They said like a gun shot they will just leave it there. Its now almost 2am i am home and cant stop crying. leave this in my arm for life i can feel it under my skin. what the fuck. you can open up a persons brain to do surgery and you cant do a simple slice in my arm and pull it out unfuckingbelievable. as i was crying being discharged the nurse who seemed shocked that they didnt take it out said for me to keep searching for surgeons. this is madness take the fucking thing out!!! god help me i feel like just dying

Once I took it out of a friend's arm using a strong magnet. It was very fresh, we basically put the magnet on the needle and kept on moving it to the direction of the entrance point. After a few rubs, it was out. But I don't know if it could be harmful or if you can do it after the entrance point is closed with a scab.
They should be able to take it out even at a clinic. The nurse is right; just ask some other places.

First of all if u going to use because I have dealt with needle before but use a fresh needle every time yo

This is shocking and bizar.

Now way that a needle should stay in there or that a person be left in a fear situation like you. I feel for your situation this is not how it is supposed to be. Keep searching for a dr willing to treat you. And try to get a written explenation from the asshole's that told you it will not be taken out.

If your needle is still there, eventually it will complete few veins and few cycles of arterial and then you.. Don't be scared, it will be a lot and a lot fuckin worse if you panic! Just keep steady calm but focused in the same time, not overreacting. So that or those doctors should be sued for this. It's disgusting, human beings on average daily they disgust me.. Go back to another hospital or but don't do it, it's what you call ''Quick Thinkin'' if you have a vet friend, maybe he can do something but my advice find a state hospital you trust and, go to the emergency room don't wait. And please make a post when you get home so we know you are fine, till then from keyboard we can't do much.

But I don't know if it could be harmful
yes it is, very. any movement of a needle within a vein can actually cause damage, even the best injections can screw up in rare circumstances, you also have a chance of puncturing the vein while you move it if you do that your way, i've actually never even wanted to see this question nor have i ever looked up how to get a broken needle out because of the thought it sounds pretty gnarly, id probably freak out if i snapped a tip off in my arm by accident, thats particularly why i go with 27 gauge instead of 29 or 30 even though the latter are easier to get in, theyre too easy to break off, 27 is the perfect needle size so that you can comfortably do an injection doesn't really prick that much and its a sturdy point, infact i've reused some points a couple times (obviously i properly sterilize them before reuse, not that i have to reuse but i'm just thrifty like that but i never ever reused a 29 or 30 gauge in fear of possible shrapnel from the tip getting into my blood you have to check out what a needle tip looks like after its been used more than once in an enlarged photo, its not pretty, the tips get warped because theyre only made to be used once but if you can't get em regularly or have access to a source for them then clearly you gotta do whatcha gotta do but also, sterilizing a needle if you use steam will weaken the whole needle so beware of this they say not to use rubbing alcohol but..thats not because theres somthing wrong with using it, but you have to wait until it all evaporates off to use the tip all while managing not to get it exposed to any possible bacteria etc i can confirm no difference from steam vs rubbing alcohol sterilization other than weakening of the metal incase anyones wondering)
you can open up a persons brain to do surgery and you cant do a simple slice in my arm and pull it out unfuckingbelievable
its not a simple procedure and i bet you're as scared and i am of reading the whole damn thread its making me cringe like no tomorrow, but the surgeons can't simply 'slice you open' because, the needle depending on size i assume a half .5" ?? regardless, if they slice into your arm, they need to be prepared to control the bleeding that will follow, now i'm not a medical expert in any way but..... there's the possibility of regardless if they have you under anesthesia, your body will naturally react to being cut open, and possibly make the needle move this is not info to scare you i'm just sayin its not as simple as you make think, however
i'd go to a private clinic, do whatever the fuck you can, you make sure to see a proper physician and have them get that out asap because you don't want any complications from it moving, i wish i could see the X-ray to see why theyd say fuck it and leave it in, it doesn't actually make sense to make in any way shape or form, DO NOT SLICE INTO YOUR OWN ARM PLEASE DON'T DONT EVEN TRY MAKING A LITTLE HOLE IN YOUR VEIN, YOU CAN CAUSE A COLLAPSE OF THE VEIN, BLEEDING THAT YOU CANT STOP, maybe you could cauterize it with a piece of red-hot metal but do you really want to risk this and have to do all of this scary stuff? Go get a 2nd, 3rd , 4th opinion and yeah, on weekends the doctors are VERY overworked and only the worst cases get treated first it sucks but thats how it is, and it takes quite abit of time to prep and OR, let alone perform an operation so taking that aswell into consideration, i'll give you an example, i was at a waterpark once, my arm hit a piece of metal somewhere somehow, it sliced my arm open near my elbow, nearly down to the bone, it was bad enough that my cousin who's seen and done some rediculous shit, couldn't handle looking at my arm, i was treated with an emergency bandage and off the the hospital i went.... i sat there for 13 hours, bleeding until i said fuck this, and went to a different hospital closer to my home, 6 hours in the ER, they put 12 stitches into my elbow, now i've had stitches for other wounds and nothing hurt more than this one injury, so its fucked how the system works but thats how it is, if you're not dying they'll wait till you are, or you could do like i did one time when i had a bike accident, and walk in there, and demanded to be treated but this can also result in being arrested or sedated and sent to the psych ward till they think youre good to go, my friend who's got a coke/drinking problem has suffered alcohol poisoning a few times and all they did was monitor her, then when she was stable, they sent her to the psych ward and wouldn't release her until they deemed her mentally capable, i remember her asking if she could put my # down as one of her emergency contacts but... i wasn't too keen on it, but i always made sure i had someone go and check on her when she had those incidents, i somehow always find out pretty quickly whenever a friend ends up in the ER, I wish i could take you to see my retired md he still has a private practice just doesn't have a narcotics licence, which unfortunately is why i need a new way to get my rx, i went alittle off topic but this gives you an example of all these dumb outcomes and how fucking shitty the system can be,
Don't be scared, it will be a lot and a lot fuckin worse if you panic!
I don't often agree shady but please get it treated asap, be calm please and careful.

~little edit:made some grammatical / spelling errors which is because i've been going for about 106-7 hours with 4 hours of sleep so please let it slide =p

Last edited:
reading the whole damn thread its making me cringe like no tomorrow,

but the surgeons can't simply 'slice you open' because, the needle depending on size i assume a half .5" ?? regardless, if they slice into your arm, they need to be prepared to control the bleeding that will follow, now i'm not a medical expert in any way but..... there's the possibility of regardless if they have you under anesthesia, your body will naturally react to being cut open, and possibly make the needle move this is not info to scare you i'm just sayin its not as simple as you make think, however

i'd go to a private clinic, do whatever the fuck you can, you make sure to see a proper physician and have them get that out asap because you don't want any complications from it moving, i wish i could see the X-ray to see why theyd say fuck it and leave it in, it doesn't actually make sense to make in any way shape or form,
Cringe is only touching the surface, I hate needles and injection's, I could almost feel it when I read this.

But HelpmeGod the dr's you saw actually are prick's. Get some help from friend's finding a proper one if you can. They can also help you mentally as you must be a mess right now. Do you have people near that can support you?

Last edited:
Jesus God!
I am praying for you.
yeah that has to come out. Keep searching.
Breathe.

I struggled to responde to this thread because of how seriously i pictured the situation and i;ve been Deathly worried about that ever happening to me, i mean a muscle injection id dig it out with a sterile scalpel i have but a vein? shit i dont know how id react.

That is seriously fucked up, what country are you in? They told you that they also wouldn't take a bullet out for a gunshot wound?? They gave a hippocratic oath to do no harm. I feel like you should be able to sue for this. But right now your primary concern is finding someone to remove this needle from your arm. There is some good advice above about how to avoid this in the future. But you should keep looking around to try to find someone who will remove the needle... this is very important.

God damn that's fucked up... it makes me angry just thinking about those asshole smug doctors. :X

Im IN NYC u would Think of all places this is where I could find help I've called surgeons all day-to-day they say go to emergency Room emergency rooms tell me go to a surgeon a catch-22 Surgeon said it's one cm long You said it's in my skin tissue and it will isolate itself and it's just going to be left there I could touch it I can feel it I wanna take it out myself I need some light a cane or a local and a static or something so I could do it in my dam self I'm so frustrated and when I walk in to hospitals I get P TSD I have used for many many years I've had years that I've been clean and years that I haven't but hospitals and detox is they are the words they've never a help to me they've never been comforting I've been put in 4 point restraints one I even walk into an emergency Room I get this horrible feeling across my body I can't stand being in there I never walk out of a hospital with a good result why should I be surprised at this I don't even know

Sorry my talking text screws up my words sometimes. I need some lidacain or a local anesthetic so I can do it myself

if it’s deep enough you can’t cut it out yourself without local, don’t cut it out yourself.

go to your gp and get a referal to a surgeon that route. if two surgeons said it didn’t need to come out, there’s no real urgency. surgeons working the er might not consider it priority.

How on earth did you manage that?!

It must be a fair way in if a GP thinks it needs a surgeon. How strange.

Like am idiot I used am old needle. I had been trying to get Clean bought methadone on the street and started taking myself down I threw out all my new needles to help reduce the temptation but I had a bad craving that day and now is looking through my drawer to find one working needle and all I had left with this 1 old 1

Like am idiot I used am old needle. I had been trying to get Clean bought methadone on the street and started taking myself down I threw out all my new needles to help reduce the temptation but I had a bad craving that day and now is looking through my drawer to find one working needle and all I had left with this 1 old 1

Pretty unbelievable that your GP wouldn’t just remove it, I don’t think you need a surgeon.
I’d probably try do it myself actually lol

Is any part of the needle visible outside the skin? I guess not or you’d already have tried tweezers wouldn’t you?

It can’t stay in there, it’ll work it’s way further and do more damage wouldnt it?

I did some pretty stupid shit to myself when I was first learning to IV, veins are pretty tough, it will heal well once the needles out.
Even try pushing it towards the entry point from the other end?
As long as you disinfect your hands before, and the wound after you should be ok.

NYC? Wow, once you take that metal out, you should definitely sue them. I was thinking that it could be a developing country or a Republican, southern state but not NYC really.

Can you send a picture of the location of the needle? What gauge was it and how deep do you think it is?

I just can't comprehend how you can find a health professional in NYC who is doctor enough to help you but you need to ask different places. There must be a place that is willing to help.

If you decide to take it out yourself, have a couple calm friends with you for helping the process and for taking you to those assholes who call themselves a doctor in case anything goes wrong.

I can't Do it myself anymore I can feel it still but it's going to deep and now I don't know what I'm touching scar tissue or the needle can't tell anymore

You can bet I will Sue every one of those mother fucken hours I'm sitting here full of rage and I can't get my mind off the fact that this medal is still in my body