Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Need input on shroom bad trip

Greg Peck

Greenlighter
Hi

I need some advice or input regarding a bad trip on shrooms I had many years ago. Its not a trip report exactly but I think I have to describe what happened.

I had never tripped before. I took 1.5 g. cubensis shrooms and got strong visuals, specially shadows were moving a lot, faces melted, my hands melted. This was a good trip without any anxiety. Second time I took 2.5 g. and it was more intense, but otherwise quite similar to the first trip. It was also good without anxiety, though at one point while walking outside I had an uncomfortable sensation that the ground was a thin shell and not solid. Anyway this feeling faded away and the trip proceeded as normal. Very distinguishable come up and come down, almost like two different highs.

The third time I think I took something like 3.5 g. After half an hour when I should be feeling it like the two preceding trips, nothing had happened. We went down to the appartment of my friend who'd also taken shrooms and something like an hour more had passed and still nothing, like we'd taken nothing at all. We smoked a joint and a little while after that I had a horrible sensation while standing in his dark kitchen, like the fabric of reality was tearing apart. I ran into his living room sat down, and it felt like my eyes went into my skull. Like I was floating in black vacuum but I could see out of my eye holes like half a meter in front of me. At the same time I could feel my body as if normal. Other than this no visuals or anything shroom like. It was a feeling of sheer terror, I could do nothing but sit and try my best to hold it together. Most of all I was afraid I would be like this the rest of my life, like some ghost in a half existence. I dont know how long this lasted but it felt like an eternity, maybe an hour, then I started to feel sort of more normal, and then suddenly pulled back into the terror, and then better until my eyesight was finally at the level of where my physical eyes were. Once this happened the come down started as if it was a normal trip. In total this is the worst experience of my life and I had severe mental problems for years afterwards. I also had HPPD for a couple of years that luckily passed. While I'm able to function, enjoy things and have a job it's like I've never really been myself 100% after this. I've never had any psychedelics after, though I've smoked weed without problems.

Sorry to be a downer, but I would really like to know if you have heard about something similar to my experience? Did I take too much? Do you think it was possible I was given bad shrooms, like badly grown or rotten or something like this? It felt like I had been poisoned. Any input greatly appreciated.

You took too much. If 1.5g was good and 2.5g was even more intense why go to an 1/8th? Psychedelics can be extremely different from person to person, I have at least one friend who can't handle them. Distressing experiences can trigger or exacerbate existing mental health issues.

Welcome to the world of bad trips my friend. Its unfortunate that you found it on only your third trip, but when it hits, it hits hard. It's very common for a bad trip to make you feel like you've been poisoned, but you're very unlikely to suffer any significant physical problems from psilocybin mushrooms. I'm not familiar with cubensis so can't equate the doses - but upping the dose by a gram each time sounds a little foolhardy to me. It's best to find a dose you like and stick with it for a while before pushing the boundaries.

I'm afraid that once you've experienced the horror, the chances of it happening again are greatly increased.

This is why I don't take psychedelics any more...

I'm afraid that once you've experienced the horror, the chances of it happening again are greatly increased.

This is why I don't take psychedelics any more...
So very true.
I had a big love for psychedelics until my first bad trip, then the same thing happened over and over again, more often the more I took. I still had some great trips, but more and more I'd have very bad ones. Just wanted to go back to my first amazing trips, but there was no chance of it. Because I was afraid that something bad would happen, it happened. The last one was entirely soul-crushing. So I just had to leave them behind.

It's not a realm we understand very well (no matter how many self-proclaimed gurus think they do) - and once you know the dark side of this realm, it's hard to ignore it.

Mushrooms have a darkness to them.

Don't believe the hippie slant that because they're natural they're safer or more friendly in character. They will kick your ass until you "get it" and if you don't ever "get it" they will continue to randomly kick your ass. Its kind of the whole character of high dose mushrooms.

Like some kind of standoffish little spirit monkey knocking you on the head with his cane because you cant answer his riddle.

Have found LSD, MDMA and Mescaline to be warmer and more forgiving of "not getting" whatever "it" may be to you.

From my understanding a lot of bad trips seem to be an inability to process a trauma or intense paradigm shift, so the mind fights the new info, creating an awful "hell-panic" involving being poisoned or plotted against.

One time on a high dose of DXM I was sure I was already dead and my father's house was the Greek underworld.

These drugs can get weird, that's kinda why people find them fascinating to some extent.

I went through quite a few bad trips til i resolved the deep underlying pain inside myself that was causing them. Mushrooms are very powerful and will take your mind through a cosmic grinder. I find high dose mushrooms to be very unpleasant compared to things like high dose LSD. Sometimes further lighter trips are required to come to terms with the experince and leave it on a good footnote which can help clear up tension inside your mind.

Bad trips can either be trying to teach you something or just trying to woop yall ass into respecting the universe. I been to hell on a few trips and its always fucking terrifying but i still come back to try learn something.

I went through quite a few bad trips til i resolved the deep underlying pain inside myself that was causing them. Mushrooms are very powerful and will take your mind through a cosmic grinder. I find high dose mushrooms to be very unpleasant compared to things like high dose LSD. Sometimes further lighter trips are required to come to terms with the experince and leave it on a good footnote which can help clear up tension inside your mind.

Bad trips can either be trying to teach you something or just trying to woop yall ass into respecting the universe. I been to hell on a few trips and its always fucking terrifying but i still come back to try learn something.
Isn't whooping one's ass into respecting the universe teaching you something? Lol

What is commonly referred to as a bad trip usually is a deep projection of your mind brought to the surface by the acting psychedelic. The current understanding is that after a journey, good or bad, enough time should be given to integrate the experience. This means getting back to everyday living and perhaps moving forward.

Terror in the psychedelic experience is nothing out of the ordinary and to be expected completely. It is one of the ways by which a coherent understanding of the particular psyche is to be gained. It seems to me you forgot that your head was under the influence of a powerful and spiritual substance. If one can come to terms with the fact that everything that is taking place during such an experience is mind manifesting then full control is guaranteed.

Some of the other replies here have been a bit too stern. We have the tendency to attribute some mystical insights to the nature of a substance itself. This is problematic and should be avoided because so long as one is willing and stays confident then plenty of good things can come to be.

HPPD varies from individual to individual but it is very rare even amongst those taking heroic doses. One cannot rule out that it can be triggered suddenly. However, a lot of the HPPD cases today seem to be individuals who have been traumatised by an experience like yours, and are not getting help or moving in the direction by which they can integrate what has been learnt.

The reason why you spiralled out of control on mushrooms is because of smoking the pot.

What is commonly referred to as a bad trip usually is a deep projection of your mind brought to the surface by the acting psychedelic. The current understanding is that after a journey, good or bad, enough time should be given to integrate the experience. This means getting back to everyday living and perhaps moving forward.

Terror in the psychedelic experience is nothing out of the ordinary and to be expected completely. It is one of the ways by which a coherent understanding of the particular psyche is to be gained. It seems to me you forgot that your head was under the influence of a powerful and spiritual substance. If one can come to terms with the fact that everything that is taking place during such an experience is mind manifesting then full control is guaranteed.

Some of the other replies here have been a bit too stern. We have the tendency to attribute some mystical insights to the nature of a substance itself. This is problematic and should be avoided because so long as one is willing and stays confident then plenty of good things can come to be.

HPPD varies from individual to individual but it is very rare even amongst those taking heroic doses. One cannot rule out that it can be triggered suddenly. However, a lot of the HPPD cases today seem to be individuals who have been traumatised by an experience like yours, and are not getting help or moving in the direction by which they can integrate what has been learnt.

The reason why you spiralled out of control on mushrooms is because of smoking the pot.

But I still don't understand why I felt absolutely no effect for more than one and a half hours after taking the shrooms and then bam straight into a bad trip without any middle ground. I've never read about anyone taking psychedelics and it took such a long time for it to take effect.

But I still don't understand why I felt absolutely no effect for more than one and a half hours after taking the shrooms and then bam straight into a bad trip without any middle ground. I've never read about anyone taking psychedelics and it took such a long time for it to take effect.
Did ya eat a big meal or something before taking the mushrooms?

And how long did you wait to dose again between trips?

Sounds like a tolerance thing.

If I trip a lot the positive, utopian, optimistic aspects of psychs become more minimal and the extreme abstract thinking/dark fantasies and dissociative sort of effects become more prominent.

I guess some people would consider this effect profile that rises to prominence with tolerance "bad trip" material if expecting a light, dreamy experience.

I personally enjoy the darker edge that manifests on psychedelics when dosing often. Probably unhealthy to avoid integration but whatever. I get it done later.

Yeah, I think we tripped together (my second trip) four days before.
Yeah that might be your problem, if you keep dosing too often trips can take on a much more serious and dark atmosphere with little in the way of visuals or other "fun" effects.

Frequent psychedelic use will rapidly build a tolerance which radically shifts how the trips themselves work and feel.

Prob wait a week or two between trips if you want warm, dreamy, visual, positive trips.

Frequent psych use is essentially psychic deconstruction and reassembly of one's own mind so to speak. Entering that state without meaning to isn't fun.

Sometimes weed just makes that shit kick in

Haha, yeah weed will kick up any trip. Without weed taking mdma, mushrooms, or lsd is pointless.

You took too much. When I take mushrooms now I just take a dime bag or so. If I like it, will take more. Every mushroom is different and not all feel good.

@Greg Peck Welcome to BL! I'm so glad that you reached out about your experience. Your post really touched me. And, it made me write. A lot. It's cool if you don't read it all, but I kinda hope you do. Because I think it will help put your experience into context. I hope it makes you feel less alone. Above all else, I hope it can help you to heal. That's why I'm writing this now. If you wanna talk more, about anything at all, feel free to PM me anytime. I'm always here to listen, for real, homie. All right, let's jump in:

So, you had a bad trip. This part is pretty common.

Your first two experiences on mushrooms were great. Then you did it a third time, and you had a really bad trip. A really fucking bad trip. What more is there to say? Psychedelic drugs have a reputation for being unpredictable. Any time you choose to take a hallucinogenic drug, a bad trip is within the realm of possible outcomes. At times like these, cold hearted people say things like, "Well, you brought this upon yourself when you chose to mess with drugs."

But I'm not here to lecture you on accountability. And I feel strongly, after reading what you wrote--that you already torture yourself on a daily basis, in one way or another. Sometimes it means reliving your darkest day over and over. Sometimes it means sinking into the way blame feels, for you do blame yourself for all of it. For the rape of your own mind. You do feel like your mind was fucked hard that day, and it changed you in ways you could never have predicted. When you do think back on that day, I bet you find yourself wishing you could take it back. You'd give anything for the chance to be your old self, the way you were before fate cruelly showed you the depravity within your mind. Over and over you arrive at the same exhausted conclusion: your little dance with psychedelic mushrooms, which started out so sweetly and all at once turned torturous, and it was not worth the daily pain you now endure at the hands of mental illness. Not at all.

Maybe this is relatable, maybe not. It's just how I imagine your situation to be.

But here's what I know for sure:

Psychedelic drug use can cause long-term mental illness in a vulnerable segment of the population!
Some people are just naturally adept at riding the waves of psychedelic drug trips.
You are not one of those people.
The way you describe your long lasting negative symptoms means that psychedelic drugs may not be for you.
Lots of people have bad trips, overcome the experience and revisit psychedelic drug use.
The fact that you have such a high level of trauma from your bad trip, still affecting you multiple years later, is one of the more extreme reactions to a bad trip.
Overall it sounds like hallucinogens are pretty overwhelming to you, in a bad way. So hey, maybe you're just not meant to do psychedelics. It's not the end of the world. There's many other drug classes you might enjoy...
If you do ever feel like revisiting psychedelic drugs in your future, you're going to have to change a lot of your thinking about the experience.

I want to take a moment to tell you how incredibly brave you are. You took a risk and tried mushrooms, so you're definitely not a normie. Jumping in to the unknown takes courage! Turns out that mushrooms might not be the right drug for you. Unfortunately, it took a very negative experience to come to that conclusion. But that trip DID NOT RUIN YOU, despite how you may feel some times. You were brave when you made the choice to experiment with psychedelics. That same bravery can lead you on to a path of healing and managing your symptoms.

About your super-long come-up: Eating mushrooms is the best ROA in my experience, but the downside to eating drugs is that there can be a HUGE variation in how long it takes to kick in! Depends if your stomach was empty, how hydrated you were, how acidic your stomach is, other drugs you are on, etc. etc. really a ton of variables. I'm just proud that you didn't keep re-dosing when the high didn't hit as fast as you thought it should. It was bad enough, but IMAGINE HOW MUCH WORSE IT COULD HAVE BEEN if you had re-dosed!

Now, let's talk about the trip effects: Intense emotions, like your feelings of terror, can happen to anyone on any drug, even experienced psychonauts. The intensified sense of sight + feeling of extreme terror are well within the realm of what you can perceive on mushrooms. Lots of people report "heightened senses" during a trip, so that whole "seeing meters in the dark thing" you mentioned is totally normal. Funny enough, it happens in the brain and not in your eyes. So the drugs don't affect your eyes--it affects the way your brain perceives the data stream it gets from your eyes. If your brain was hyperfocused on your vision, then it processed the information in greater detail and you were able to see better. The crazy thing about this? It means you actually have the ability to see that well all the time, but your brain simply doesn't tap in to that level of detail on a daily basis. Weird huh?

The "time dilation" you experienced--where the feeling of extreme terror "felt like an eternity"--again this is very common with hallucinogens. Lots of drugs fuck with your perception of time in ways that range from subtle to extreme. Some people believe they are "traveling dimensions" or some such, while tripping, causing them to actually travel time. The majority of people agree that it's our brain's PERCEPTION of time that changes due to the drugs. Time dilation can be really awesome or it can add to the nightmare of a bad trip. It's worth noting that people also report time dilation A LOT during near-death experiences such as car crashes and skydiving--people go in to "bullet time" where seconds stretch immensely. Bottom line: this is a common occurrence, and it happens outside of drug use, too.

You saw a vision, "like the fabric of reality ripping apart"
--psychedelic drugs show people a whole lot of different viewpoints of creation. Sometimes people just aren't ready for what a trip reveals to them. This can leave lasting scars. The best way to heal, in my opinion, is to accept what you saw, come to terms with it, and do your best to come up with a "meaning" for what you think you saw. I can't tell you what your trip meant--that's all on you! I honestly believe that the best thing about psychedelic trips, whether they're good or fucking terrible, is that after you come down, YOU HAVE THE POWER TO INTERPRET WHAT IT ALL MEANS TO YOU.

You say that you've never been 100% yourself since the trip: You endured a hellish experience--and experiences change us. You weren't stuck like that forever as you feared you might be--no, eventually you came down and returned to this plane of existence. But it changed you. Oh yes. Psychedelic experiences are at the best of times profound--they can change the way you see the world forever--and isn't that why we do it? So maybe you got in over your head with mushrooms, and it took you to a place you weren't prepared to go. You can't change what you saw and how it made you feel. But what you can do is to terms with it now, after all these years. So, you've "never been 100% yourself since the trip"?? You might not want to hear this, but I have to say it: BIG FUCKING DEAL. WHAT IS YOUR "SELF" ANYWAY? Because here's the thing: you're not your OLD self any more. You will never be who you were before the bad trip. So don't bother sulking about it or looking back on your old self with nostalgia. You chose to take mushrooms, and it changed you permanently. All you can do is accept it. Embrace your "new normal"... and then you can start to move on. (I say that with love!)

Re: Long-Term Mental Health Issues: If you ever want to talk about this in more detail I am 100% here for you, feel free to PM me anytime! Some people do trigger permanent mental illness by the use of psychedelic drugs. It's rare, but it does happen. You are not alone. You are not weak. But it also doesn't mean that you'll be this way forever. Your mental illness may fade over time, or it might be permanent, but you may get a lot better at dealing with your symptoms. It will get better.

Recovering from the trauma: In my opinion, recovery begins the moment you decide to take the following steps:
1) accept your trip for what it was--a drug trip. Try to look back on the memories without emotion.
2) truly forgive yourself for getting in that situation-i hope this is easy for you
3) allow yourself to learn from the experience-seriously, what did you learn about yourself?
4) ultimately, stop seeing it as "all negative"-how did it help you grow? how did it make you stronger? etc.
5) This one's optional but it helps me the most--come up with your own personal interpretation of the trip: what did you see? What did it mean? etc.

If you follow these steps, I think you'll discover that the memories of your bad trip won't cause you pain any more. You'll be able to see how the experience helped you grow, and ultimately you'll be more likely to start accepting yourself AS YOU ARE instead of being nostalgic for the person you USED TO BE.

An example of something the bad trip taught you:
The bad trip was hella bad. It was not a good experience at all. I get that. I don't expect you to ever see it as a positive in your life. But maybe something good did come out of the darkness? Did it teach you something about yourself or the universe? I have an idea of something I think you learned from it:

In your own words, you say it was the worst you've ever felt in your life. Now that you've felt that depth of emotion, there's no turning back. So, maybe that emotion of pure terror sets the bar for just how bad you can feel, and you can judge all your future feelings in comparison, i.e. "Man, I'm having a really shitty fucking day, but at least it's not as bad as I felt on mushrooms..." etc. Try to learn from it, try to grow from it, it gives you a depth most people don't have. Perhaps it even gave you some empathy for people suffering from severe depression, anhedonia, etc.

<3 Good luck!

Sometimes your unconscious fights the effects, especially when on higher doses and when set and setting isn't optimal. I had a similar experience to yours in 1989, but after a long pause from psychedelics I now appreciate them again. Tough now I much prefere phenethylamines and lysergamides to mushrooms which still can tigger memories of my bad trip.

Last edited:
@Greg Peck Welcome to BL! I'm so glad that you reached out about your experience. Your post really touched me. And, it made me write. A lot. It's cool if you don't read it all, but I kinda hope you do. Because I think it will help put your experience into context. I hope it makes you feel less alone. Above all else, I hope it can help you to heal. That's why I'm writing this now. If you wanna talk more, about anything at all, feel free to PM me anytime. I'm always here to listen, for real, homie. All right, let's jump in:

So, you had a bad trip. This part is pretty common.

Your first two experiences on mushrooms were great. Then you did it a third time, and you had a really bad trip. A really fucking bad trip. What more is there to say? Psychedelic drugs have a reputation for being unpredictable. Any time you choose to take a hallucinogenic drug, a bad trip is within the realm of possible outcomes. At times like these, cold hearted people say things like, "Well, you brought this upon yourself when you chose to mess with drugs."

But I'm not here to lecture you on accountability. And I feel strongly, after reading what you wrote--that you already torture yourself on a daily basis, in one way or another. Sometimes it means reliving your darkest day over and over. Sometimes it means sinking into the way blame feels, for you do blame yourself for all of it. For the rape of your own mind. You do feel like your mind was fucked hard that day, and it changed you in ways you could never have predicted. When you do think back on that day, I bet you find yourself wishing you could take it back. You'd give anything for the chance to be your old self, the way you were before fate cruelly showed you the depravity within your mind. Over and over you arrive at the same exhausted conclusion: your little dance with psychedelic mushrooms, which started out so sweetly and all at once turned torturous, and it was not worth the daily pain you now endure at the hands of mental illness. Not at all.

Maybe this is relatable, maybe not. It's just how I imagine your situation to be.

But here's what I know for sure:

Psychedelic drug use can cause long-term mental illness in a vulnerable segment of the population!
Some people are just naturally adept at riding the waves of psychedelic drug trips.
You are not one of those people.
The way you describe your long lasting negative symptoms means that psychedelic drugs may not be for you.
Lots of people have bad trips, overcome the experience and revisit psychedelic drug use.
The fact that you have such a high level of trauma from your bad trip, still affecting you multiple years later, is one of the more extreme reactions to a bad trip.
Overall it sounds like hallucinogens are pretty overwhelming to you, in a bad way. So hey, maybe you're just not meant to do psychedelics. It's not the end of the world. There's many other drug classes you might enjoy...
If you do ever feel like revisiting psychedelic drugs in your future, you're going to have to change a lot of your thinking about the experience.

I want to take a moment to tell you how incredibly brave you are. You took a risk and tried mushrooms, so you're definitely not a normie. Jumping in to the unknown takes courage! Turns out that mushrooms might not be the right drug for you. Unfortunately, it took a very negative experience to come to that conclusion. But that trip DID NOT RUIN YOU, despite how you may feel some times. You were brave when you made the choice to experiment with psychedelics. That same bravery can lead you on to a path of healing and managing your symptoms.

About your super-long come-up:
Eating mushrooms is the best ROA in my experience, but the downside to eating drugs is that there can be a HUGE variation in how long it takes to kick in! Depends if your stomach was empty, how hydrated you were, how acidic your stomach is, other drugs you are on, etc. etc. really a ton of variables. I'm just proud that you didn't keep re-dosing when the high didn't hit as fast as you thought it should. It was bad enough, but IMAGINE HOW MUCH WORSE IT COULD HAVE BEEN if you had re-dosed!

Now, let's talk about the trip effects: Intense emotions, like your feelings of terror, can happen to anyone on any drug, even experienced psychonauts. The intensified sense of sight + feeling of extreme terror are well within the realm of what you can perceive on mushrooms. Lots of people report "heightened senses" during a trip, so that whole "seeing meters in the dark thing" you mentioned is totally normal. Funny enough, it happens in the brain and not in your eyes. So the drugs don't affect your eyes--it affects the way your brain perceives the data stream it gets from your eyes. If your brain was hyperfocused on your vision, then it processed the information in greater detail and you were able to see better. The crazy thing about this? It means you actually have the ability to see that well all the time, but your brain simply doesn't tap in to that level of detail on a daily basis. Weird huh?

The "time dilation" you experienced--where the feeling of extreme terror "felt like an eternity"--again this is very common with hallucinogens. Lots of drugs fuck with your perception of time in ways that range from subtle to extreme. Some people believe they are "traveling dimensions" or some such, while tripping, causing them to actually travel time. The majority of people agree that it's our brain's PERCEPTION of time that changes due to the drugs. Time dilation can be really awesome or it can add to the nightmare of a bad trip. It's worth noting that people also report time dilation A LOT during near-death experiences such as car crashes and skydiving--people go in to "bullet time" where seconds stretch immensely. Bottom line: this is a common occurrence, and it happens outside of drug use, too.

You saw a vision, "like the fabric of reality ripping apart"
--psychedelic drugs show people a whole lot of different viewpoints of creation. Sometimes people just aren't ready for what a trip reveals to them. This can leave lasting scars. The best way to heal, in my opinion, is to accept what you saw, come to terms with it, and do your best to come up with a "meaning" for what you think you saw. I can't tell you what your trip meant--that's all on you! I honestly believe that the best thing about psychedelic trips, whether they're good or fucking terrible, is that after you come down, YOU HAVE THE POWER TO INTERPRET WHAT IT ALL MEANS TO YOU.

You say that you've never been 100% yourself since the trip:
You endured a hellish experience--and experiences change us. You weren't stuck like that forever as you feared you might be--no, eventually you came down and returned to this plane of existence. But it changed you. Oh yes. Psychedelic experiences are at the best of times profound--they can change the way you see the world forever--and isn't that why we do it? So maybe you got in over your head with mushrooms, and it took you to a place you weren't prepared to go. You can't change what you saw and how it made you feel. But what you can do is to terms with it now, after all these years. So, you've "never been 100% yourself since the trip"?? You might not want to hear this, but I have to say it: BIG FUCKING DEAL. WHAT IS YOUR "SELF" ANYWAY? Because here's the thing: you're not your OLD self any more. You will never be who you were before the bad trip. So don't bother sulking about it or looking back on your old self with nostalgia. You chose to take mushrooms, and it changed you permanently. All you can do is accept it. Embrace your "new normal"... and then you can start to move on. (I say that with love!)

Re: Long-Term Mental Health Issues: If you ever want to talk about this in more detail I am 100% here for you, feel free to PM me anytime! Some people do trigger permanent mental illness by the use of psychedelic drugs. It's rare, but it does happen. You are not alone. You are not weak. But it also doesn't mean that you'll be this way forever. Your mental illness may fade over time, or it might be permanent, but you may get a lot better at dealing with your symptoms. It will get better.

Recovering from the trauma: In my opinion, recovery begins the moment you decide to take the following steps:
1) accept your trip for what it was--a drug trip. Try to look back on the memories without emotion.
2) truly forgive yourself for getting in that situation-i hope this is easy for you
3) allow yourself to learn from the experience-seriously, what did you learn about yourself?
4) ultimately, stop seeing it as "all negative"-how did it help you grow? how did it make you stronger? etc.
5) This one's optional but it helps me the most--come up with your own personal interpretation of the trip: what did you see? What did it mean? etc.

If you follow these steps, I think you'll discover that the memories of your bad trip won't cause you pain any more. You'll be able to see how the experience helped you grow, and ultimately you'll be more likely to start accepting yourself AS YOU ARE instead of being nostalgic for the person you USED TO BE.

An example of something the bad trip taught you:
The bad trip was hella bad. It was not a good experience at all. I get that. I don't expect you to ever see it as a positive in your life. But maybe something good did come out of the darkness? Did it teach you something about yourself or the universe? I have an idea of something I think you learned from it:

In your own words, you say it was the worst you've ever felt in your life. Now that you've felt that depth of emotion, there's no turning back. So, maybe that emotion of pure terror sets the bar for just how bad you can feel, and you can judge all your future feelings in comparison, i.e. "Man, I'm having a really shitty fucking day, but at least it's not as bad as I felt on mushrooms..." etc. Try to learn from it, try to grow from it, it gives you a depth most people don't have. Perhaps it even gave you some empathy for people suffering from severe depression, anhedonia, etc.

<3 Good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to write this, it really helps me a lot in different ways. It will take some time to digest your post and I'll have to come back to it and reread.

I had split a quarter oz with my mate and we made a cheese omelette with the shrooms blended in. It was one large 7 gram stalk, very green-blue stained.
We felt NOTHING for about two hours, so we drove to our local pool hall to zap some vids (play arcade games). Just before going in, we smoked a joint (very potent weed - Okanagan Thunderfuck) and got typically power-baked. About 20 minutes later, while playing some 2 player game, we both felt suuuuper heavy and literally slid our backs down the wall to the floor. It was like instant overload of sounds and colors. It got so intense so quickly that we decided to leave, but couldn’t stand up. So we actually crawled out of the pool hall while everyone watched jaw dropped, this pair of fools moaning and crawling along the floor and out the front door. It’s making me laugh now, but at the time, we couldn’t see anything as our entire field of view was like a foam or cobweb of fractals and light show patterns. Then we climbed into my car and began a 20 minuet search for my keys, which i found in my pocket. But we were so paranoid of sonething after us, that we decided to move the car around back of the hall. That was almost impossible, so i gave up having moved the car about 20 feet and we just sat there in the car being freaked out. An hour or so later, we could see/talk/move normallish, and enjoyed the rest of the comedown.
I think the food, high fat omelette, delayed the onset, then the weed kicked it all in at once.
Weed is a powerful potentiator and psychedelic on its own. If it was too much with weed, try again at 2 grams sans weed and build up an enjoyable trip on its own, maybe?