• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids need help tapering off

This will sound strange but if you use your thumbs and apply light preassure to your eyes while closed, it will help regulate u a little. The change in preassure usually helps to
Calm the effects and duration of the attack. Sorry for tye spelling guys if it is wrong. Cant see this pad to well. Any way give it a shot and c how it works for u next time. And remember to relax, it will pass .

Since you are not trying to quit, you do plan to stay on your medication and just reduce your dosage... I am still wondering why you won't try suboxone taper. A 12 day taper would do you miracles. Or, pehaps a slower 21 day taper or best yet, over a month. Suboxone is the EASIEST med I have found to taper with as going down the taper is painless. I mean painless.

Let me spell this out -
You could start suboxone at the equivalent dose to your current dose of 270mg of oxy. For instance, go to Suboxone at 16mg (Not calculated here, this suboxone dosage is speculation).
Every 3-4 days go down by 2mg until you get to 4mg for instance. Level out at 4mg for a decent period of time and then return to your prescribed Oxy. You stated you wanted to only dose 10mg 3x daily right? That suboxone can get you there mildly in comparison to tapering oxy, which is hell.
Those doses are just my speculation, you'd want to use the COWS or opioid conversion chart to get a real idea of your desired doses.

Oxy taper = hell. Suboxone taper is painless. No one ever gripes about the taper on Suboxone, the gripe is that last bit when you try to quit. You aren't trying to quit, you are just lowering your tolerance. Painless!
Horrid advice.... Not only is the suboxone dose extremely excessive for maintenance maybe not for induction once one is due precipitated w/d are not possible, but after the first dose it should be dropped to 8 then 4 and maintain there at most although really it's best taken at 1 mg or less 2x a day I found while any more than that is more or less placebo.

People need to stop touting bupe as this magical withdrawal avoidance med. Just like any opiate if tapered properly it's not an issue. In this person's situation a taper of methadone may be a good idea as it gives pain relief, it doesn't block full agonist except at a high dose supposedly, and especially if they go to a methadone clinic it can be very controlled in the reduction by 1mg at a time although the issue with a clinic is it could leave them with an addict label fucking up their control of their care and be forced to take whatever the doctor gives if they are lucky enough for the doctor to still do so.

As far as skipping a dose I don't recommend it, but instead just take like the smallest amount to can even just 5 mg so you don't end up taking an excessive dose after your day at work. You need to maintain your dose and slowly reduce. Literally set certain times in the day to dose like on the minute without crushing them, or at least not more than one, and then reduce once a week by however much you can handle. It's the instability that will screw up ones tolerance and taper process. Don't go faster than you can go and don't drag it out longer than necessary just stick to a plan and do it. What you're doing is going to lead to an addict mindset and instinct rather than a chronic pain patient, which can both be true, but one will dominate the other.

Stress tapping. You look stupid doing it, but the shit works. Google video - "Stress Tapping"
I used it coming off opiate/benzo and it did miracles for my anxiety attacks.
You basically tap your pressure points while reciting positive self talk to yourself. I thought it was the dumbest thing at first, then it was like I couldn't get through the attacks without it.

Try it, it works!

Horrid advice.... Not only is the suboxone dose extremely excessive for maintenance maybe not for induction once one is due precipitated w/d are not possible, but after the first dose it should be dropped to 8 then 4 and maintain there at most although really it's best taken at 1 mg or less 2x a day I found while any more than that is more or less placebo.

People need to stop touting bupe as this magical withdrawal avoidance med. Just like any opiate if tapered properly it's not an issue. In this person's situation a taper of methadone may be a good idea as it gives pain relief, it doesn't block full agonist except at a high dose supposedly, and especially if they go to a methadone clinic it can be very controlled in the reduction by 1mg at a time although the issue with a clinic is it could leave them with an addict label fucking up their control of their care and be forced to take whatever the doctor gives if they are lucky enough for the doctor to still do so.

As far as skipping a dose I don't recommend it, but instead just take like the smallest amount to can even just 5 mg so you don't end up taking an excessive dose after your day at work. You need to maintain your dose and slowly reduce. Literally set certain times in the day to dose like on the minute without crushing them, or at least not more than one, and then reduce once a week by however much you can handle. It's the instability that will screw up ones tolerance and taper process. Don't go faster than you can go and don't drag it out longer than necessary just stick to a plan and do it. What you're doing is going to lead to an addict mindset and instinct rather than a chronic pain patient, which can both be true, but one will dominate the other.

Or methadone. I've done both tapers and suboxone is the only one that ever worked for me after falling on my face a dozen times. So I will always tout bupe as magic because it saved my life. If he is just trying to reduce his tolerance, absolutely methadone is a wonderful idea. It just didn't work for me to get clean, but for lowering tolerance it would be fantastic.

I don't know off the top of my head a good induction dose for him, that's why I tried to preface that with "not calculated here" and "Speculation, refer to a chart"

If your goal is to quit then yes a rapid taper with bupe is a great idea. If you're maintaining no not such a good idea. If you're like the op and are managing pain and just want to reduce your dose a quick methadone taper is a great idea as it doesn't leave one needing to go into withdrawal and pain to avoid PWD then be unable to take a full agonist if needed as well as when transitioning back to a full agonist. It will just cause a lot more problems and difficulties for the op when the best answer is to just practice self control.

There is also a kickstarter product called a fidget cube or something if I remember correctly and I bet that could help a lot with the anxiety being something you can keep focused on physical while mentally you can entertain yourself without the physical activity taking away your focus.

I realized I am thinking this too hard, there is no time limit and no deadline and the reason for this taper is to just get to the lowest dose I can stand with the pain involved because I feel I am a prisoner to this drug and I also want to have a little stash just in case of a SHTF situation or whatever reason there is a problem and we cannot get our PM's.

Last edited:
Your shtf situation plan makes me laugh, sorry

And during my max addiction, anytime I didn't have it was a shtf situation in my mind, I'm sorry but you will always be a prisoner to what you need to take unless you can just not take any at all, and if you really want to quit then a stash will be a sabotage of yourself no questions asked....

I always think what if and what then, and I get where your coming from but just know most shtf (in my mind at least, and I beleive more than most some crazy senerio could happen one day) stuff isn't likely to happen so a fantasy situation to work your actual life around in kinda ridiculous. Your more likely to sabotage yourself now than actually help in some 1 in a billion chance senerio, do yourself a favor and if your a huge belevier in shtf then prepare by getting yourself ready now by needing nothing like that to function

Don't mean to be so blunt but you must realize no amount of "stash" will save you in the end if your goal is to stop being tethered, and if you can quit in shtf why can't you do it now, and if it's you don't really want to now, I can totally realate

Just do what you can, eventually you can break the chain, and actually be fully prepared no matter how long it lasts

The taper is going better than I expected. I'm down to 205mg's a day from 410. The anxiety is still there but subsides in short time. I am so glad I started this, it is very difficult in the beginning but it seemed to get easier. I believe it gets easier if you truly want to taper or quit but if you do not really want too then it is really hard, also if you have to worry about finding your pills and paying for your pills vs having a script; that also weighs down on you as well. If I had to scramble around and find my pills it would be way harder to taper. Being I do have a script for my pain it is so much easier to taper down to the limit where going any lower is too painful. I do not have any idea how much further I can lower because I am putting up with a lot of pain. Taking my prescribed dose really allows me to be comfortable, thank the higher powers for narcotics especially for those in serious pain and cancer patients.

Tomorrow I will start 30mg's doses, if this proves to much a drop I will continue the 45mg's for another week. I believe I can cope and just take enough to stay out of the anxiety phase.

Greetings. In My Opinion, Ketamine infusion's and cannabis of your preference will help.

You seem to be reaching your goal pretty quickly nice. Speed king definitely has interesting useful advice one easier than the other.

Ketamine needs to be in a medical facility infused (very slow injection) by a licensed medical professional who does such a procedure. There are some, but it's costly.

One of the best natural relief for anxiety is exercise.. If you have access to a gym, get on a treadmill or get a jog going. It's hard to think of strenuous activity when all your muscles ache, but I found when I was coming off some heavy shit, just getting my blood flowing relieved so much anxiety.

This might be a dumb question but do you use NSAID's with your Oxycodone ? Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs. I didn't get very much help from Ibuprofen or Naproxen but when I switched up to Diclofenac (Voltaren) it made a real difference. By themselves they're not worth much but in combination with opioids they can help with the pain..... just not the anxiety.

Over the counter for anxiety...

Try Valerian Root. You may need more than the bottle says. Just educate yourself. It is somewhat helpful for me. Others say it isn't. Everyone is different and you won't know until you try it.

Magnesium is good for relaxing muscles and the body. I take it in the form of magnesium citrate, sold very cheaply in liquid form as a laxative. Don't drink more than a couple shots worth at once until you know how it impacts you. I personally need to drink 1/2-1 entire bottle for the laxative effect to kick in. But if you drink enough of it, you will be glued to the toilet ;)

And perhaps monitor things that increase anxiety, such as caffeine.

Best of luck. The slower you taper, and the smaller you drop your dose and let your body adjust before dropping the dose again, the less withdrawal you will deal with.

Peace.