• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids need help tapering off

You can't taper 250+mg in a couple days and not feel WD. A taper that big is going to take you several months to do painlessly.
Everyone is different, I would try 25mg a week. I would still feel that, personally, but effective enough to continue work on not be sided by WD.

Stay at 45 mg until you develop a stable schedule then drop only when stable and wait for it to feel like 45 mg again before dropping. Don't go too fast. The constant dose fluctuation will only make things worse.

Edit :this will be my last post for you as aparently I didn't post in your thread in your eyes.

Thanks tacodude, I didn't scroll all the way up is why I missed you but I do appreciate your replies (I corrected it), don't run off. Yeah I going to stick with 45mg's for now, it is doing well for me at this time.

OK... I was just being pissy. It's hard to see someone love you who is trying to recover yet risking it planning to engage in addictive behavior still afterwords by planning to stockpile. You need to be careful as if they see your levels of metabolites drop if they lab test your urine and actually look at it.

I say these things as you don't want to be in my spot truly needing pain meds yet trapped in a heroin habit because the local doctors in pain management literally lie and tell you they are not aloud to prescribe pain medication when it's a blatent lie. It's happened on so many occasions for me it's not funny it's literally killing me and forcing me to be stuck on methadone as it leaves me more and more likely to attempt suicide while not getting me anywhere near functional or able to manage my pain while giving the doctors excuses to say either I have an opiate and must be ok and must be a drug addict if it's not as well as claiming it's evidence opiates don't manage my pain when it actually does a lot for my pain.... For 4 hours or 6 at best when I can only dose every 18-30 hours while it fluctuates due to having to dose when the clinic is open and I can push through the pain and walk two blocks to get there only to have to wait 2 hours for it to work were I end up also or nodding for 4 hours preventing me from doing anything during the day wearing off at night leaving me getting a few hours of sleep if I'm lucky forcing me to relapse at least once a week just to get the sleep I need. It's really hard not to consider suicide in my position at this point.

You know I was thinking about the Opiate metabolites count as well, I also thought I would grind a pill up in a Mortar and Pestle and just put my fingertip in the powder and pee on my finger into the cup, just enough powder that sticks to my fingertip so it's not an excess amount. Do you think that would be too much to put in the urine sample? With a Mortar and Pestle you can grind it to pollen like dust. I really hate fucking with urine samples.

Damn I going through an anxiety attack, I hate this and I know I can solve this by taking more Oxy but that defeats the purpose.

You know I was thinking about the Opiate metabolites count as well, I also thought I would grind a pill up in a Mortar and Pestle and just put my fingertip in the powder and pee on my finger into the cup, just enough powder that sticks to my fingertip so it's not an excess amount. Do you think that would be too much to put in the urine sample? With a Mortar and Pestle you can grind it to pollen like dust. I really hate fucking with urine samples.
No drug testing questions aloud, but metabolites are different from the active compound that costs into the metabolites.

Goddamn the anxiety! I can deal with the cold sweats much better. Is there an OTC drug that helps this? The only thing that relieves it is upping my oxy amount. Is there a way of dealing with anxiety without drugs?

Meditation and just getting lost in your activities. Anxiety relief tea blends as well

Is there a way of dealing with anxiety without drugs?

i draw to take my mind off my anxiety when i'm having panic attacks
basically something you can do with your hands should help,

taco, I cannot meditate, I try to do something to not think about it and the only thing that helps is driving but I cannot travel because of my neck injury. I can only drive locally, like to the doctor (2mi) Walmart/grocery store (2.5mi) etc. The O'l saying "I've done it all" falls into my category when trying to find something to interest me, anything new and physically I want to do is paralyzing dangerous for me. I cannot stand or sit very long because it feels as if someone is sitting on my shoulders so my consist of laying down. Laying down hurts so I take my meds and usually end up short a day or two and then that's hell!

Lately I have been standing, walking & sitting up longer then the normal day and this causes more pain and the cycle just goes over and over, now I'm wanting to cut down on my meds and it brings on anxiety and CS's it just sux.

I know others are in worse condition and people in prison are really in a fucked up situation and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'd rather have cancer than be locked up in prison.

I'm starting to think tapering isn't possible unless I'm prescribed less meds so I can't take more than I should but I want to stash away the extra but there seems not to be any extra. I have been keeping my usage down to less than my prescribed dosage so that's a plus but it's hard to maintain and sometimes I take an extra 20-40mg's.

Last edited:
Right now I at 270mg's for the day and about this time yesterday I was at 250mg's, Sunday I was at 280mg's at this time so it's about the same as long as I do not exceed 410mg's which is my prescribed dose, yesterday my total was 350mg's, 60mg's less than my prescribed and I'm thinking this isn't going to help any but If I stay at 60mg's less everyday that's a plus and maybe this coming Monday I can lessen it by another 50-60mg's.

You need to stop telling yourself you can't. You are your own biggest enemy

Tomorrow I am going to wire my Soul for trailer hookup so I will not take any meds, when I'm working outside I can take the cold sweats so I will try to milk the job so it takes as long as possible. Maybe I can skip a dose or two, I doubt the "two" but maybe a dose.

I know why I think it's going too slow, I used a pill crusher which elevated the amount of oxy into my system and I keep overlooking that fact. I have only crushed 2 pills since going through this taper.

Sorry but stockpiles and addicts do not go together at all

Can't tell you how many times I thought "I won't do it all and that I would save some that way I'll have a last resort just in case the need arises".... let me just say that need or preceived need is one idea in the back of your mind away, or one bad day away or hell for no reason at all away.... it just dosent work like that, it's kinda just like a Siren calling you and it's absolutely impossible fight, you will do what it wants and asks

If you want to completely stop using you must have zero of your drug of choice on hand, it's hard enough when you don't but know you could go get\find some eventually. Let alone if it was two feet away, I will venture to say that would never ever work, at least not in my world

Reason being that drug additics have absolutely zero self control when it comes to their drug of choice, that's why we ended up where we have, NOT because we are actually capable of making reasonable and not compulsive decisions time and time again .... just for starters

What ever you do I hope it works and just trying to help you realize now that it is a bad idea if your end goal is to stop using for good... cause the addict in me can thinks why give up extra drugs, but then the rational human in me knows it's a bad idea and it's a recipe for something you probably don't want to eat, no matter how hard you try to choke it down.

I know more about physical pain than most forsure, and while I know there is some things than only meds can help at the same time I can't deny the fact that much pain is partially or fully psychologically based, and we tell ourselves that its way worse than reality actually is, and sometimes touching base with that reality it very very hard. But the sooner we can actually completely realize this fact the sooner we can be helped....

I have also been there and have had to taper down.
The best way i could recomend is to give your self a week on each stepdown dose to make sure that you dont drop to quickly . This helped me taper off with out the w/d
Being so strong and sudden. I hope it helps my friend. Good luck and dont give up. U can do this.

Since you are not trying to quit, you do plan to stay on your medication and just reduce your dosage... I am still wondering why you won't try suboxone taper. A 12 day taper would do you miracles. Or, pehaps a slower 21 day taper or best yet, over a month. Suboxone is the EASIEST med I have found to taper with as going down the taper is painless. I mean painless.

Let me spell this out -
You could start suboxone at the equivalent dose to your current dose of 270mg of oxy. For instance, go to Suboxone at 16mg (Not calculated here, this suboxone dosage is speculation).
Every 3-4 days go down by 2mg until you get to 4mg for instance. Level out at 4mg for a decent period of time and then return to your prescribed Oxy. You stated you wanted to only dose 10mg 3x daily right? That suboxone can get you there mildly in comparison to tapering oxy, which is hell.
Those doses are just my speculation, you'd want to use the COWS or opioid conversion chart to get a real idea of your desired doses.

Oxy taper = hell. Suboxone taper is painless. No one ever gripes about the taper on Suboxone, the gripe is that last bit when you try to quit. You aren't trying to quit, you are just lowering your tolerance. Painless!