• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Need help filling out a profile question!!!

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
I'm not sure if this is the right section, but since the question is basically a writing question (or in this case typing), here we go...

Not sure if any of you use Meetup but it's basically a place to find different groups and events going on in your area. I've never actually used it yet but there's a group I'm interested in joining. The only problem is they want me to fill out a profile question asking what makes me want to join their group. That would be fine, but they want me to type 1000 FUCKING CHARACTERS!!! Not only do they require that, they also want to know what activities I would like to do as a group again with 1000 CHARACTERS!!! I understand that they want people that are serious, but for fuck sake you shouldn't need a coauthor to join a fucking internet group. It shouldn't take 1000 characters to describe WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN THE FUCKING GROUP. This is actually what put me off using Meetup before because they require so many characters to describe something that should take a few sentences IMO.

Anyways, any advice? Or would an established or semi-established author like to help me fill out these FUCKING QUESTIONS??? You won't get name recognition but I'll pay you 1 cent per character via Paypal.

Last edited:
Can you see what other members have posted to join the group? If so, you could use some of their ideas but write them in your own way. If you're comfortable posting what group you're trying to join perhaps someone here can help.

This thread is probably better suited to Second Opinion but i'll leave it here. If you want it moved just let me know.

Can you see what other members have posted to join the group?

Nope.

If you're comfortable posting what group you're trying to join perhaps someone here can help.

A social club for introverts... I thought it sounded interesting because while I'm not always introverted I do have trouble with groups as far as social anxiety so I thought it could be a good first group to try out. You would think that they'd know introverts DON'T ALWAYS LIKE TO TALK A LOT. HA! The thing is tho, it doesn't seem to matter what group it is on Meetup. They all pretty much want your life story just to join a group. I think it's retarded honestly. :|

This thread is probably better suited to Second Opinion but i'll leave it here. If you want it moved just let me know.

I was debating between here and SO so it's your call really. If you think I'll get more/better responses in SO by all means have at it.

1000 characters isnt very much.
I mean, i wrote a 1500 word assignment in one sitting last night ;)

I am also an introvert and wouldn't be comfortable writing an essay telling a bunch of strangers about myself.

It's possible everyone else in the group was feeling similar to how you're before they joined. Perhaps try to get to 1000 characters, edit out any details you do not feel comfortable sharing, and then come up with something to meet the character requirement.

This might not be the best advice but you could try to dwell upon a single topic to the point of redundancy?

I'll leave the thread here for now and see if you get any replies.

Good Luck!

1000 characters isnt very much.
I mean, i wrote a 1500 word assignment in one sitting last night ;)

Try writing 1000 characters merely on why you want to join the damn group. I can barely think of 3 sentences. :X

Maybe I'll just use lorem ipsum but I somehow doubt that will get me into the group.

Last edited:
read a book about introverts a few years ago that might help: Susan Cain
65BVj0l.jpg

/\You don't seem to understand. My problem isn't that I'm an introvert. My problem is that I don't know how to come up with 1000 characters describing why I want to join an internet group. :X

I think I might finally have it down tho. Does this sound ok?...

80 days around the world, we'll find a pot of gold just sitting where the rainbow's ending. Time - we'll fight against the time, and we'll fly on the white wings of the wind. 80 days around the world, no we won't say a word before the ship is really back. Round, round, all around the world. Round, all around the world. Round, all around the world. Round, all around the world.

Hey there where ya goin', not exactly knowin', who says you have to call just one place home. He's goin' everywhere, B.J. McKay and his best friend Bear. He just keeps on movin', ladies keep improvin', every day is better than the last. New dreams and better scenes, and best of all I don't pay property tax. Rollin' down to Dallas, who's providin' my palace, off to New Orleans or who knows where. Places new and ladies, too, I'm B.J. McKay and this is my best friend Bear.

This is my boss, Jonathan Hart, a self-made millionaire, he's quite a guy. This is Mrs H., she's gorgeous, she's one lady who knows how to take care of herself. By the way, my name is Max. I take care of both of them, which ain't easy, 'cause when they met it was MURDER!

no i get it, i recommended the book because i thought it might give you some ideas that you could use to write about.

Haha, no problem... I just joined another group that took me about 3 minutes. I don't understand why some of the groups on there make it so hard to simply join. Seems like it would discourage a lot of people if they have to write a novel just to get into the group.

okay, since this thread belongs in second opinion im going to send it over there.

Words -> SO

I don't understand why some of the groups on there make it so hard to simply join. Seems like it would discourage a lot of people if they have to write a novel just to get into the group.
maybe they're just trying to filter in people who'll engage and commit to the group. 1000 characters doesn't seem that big of a burden (it's maybe just 150 to 250 words). maybe if you can't come up with 150 to 250 words on why you want to join, the group isn't really for you?

your op was over 1000 characters - how long did that take you?

alasdair

Last edited:
maybe if you can't come up with 150 to 250 words on why you want to join, the group isn't really for you?

Or maybe I'm not always a man of many words. 8)

your op was over 1000 characters - how long did that take you?

Lol... You actually counted that? I don't know, I guess I'm able to type more when I'm ranting.

Either way it doesn't matter. I found another group that took about 3 mins to join and you just talk to the person over the phone before going to one of the meetings.

I want to join this group because I'm lonely and want to meet people in real life. I usually just stay home and chat on forums. I actually don't really know what to say in this. I was so stumped, I posted on a another online forum asking people for help. Although I don't consider myself always an introvert, I do have social anxiety and it's hard for me to meet people and have normal social interactions. It's hard for me to interact in groups so I think this group can really help bring me out of my shell and I just want to meet alike people.

:)

Just to get you started.

I want to join this group because I'm lonely and want to meet people in real life. I usually just stay home and chat on forums. I actually don't really know what to say in this. I was so stumped, I posted on a another online forum asking people for help. Although I don't consider myself always an introvert, I do have social anxiety and it's hard for me to meet people and have normal social interactions. It's hard for me to interact in groups so I think this group can really help bring me out of my shell and I just want to meet alike people.

:)

Just to get you started.

Ha, at first i thought you were writing about yourself which i thought was strange because i have never got this impression from you. Then i realized you were helping out the OP.

Too kind PD!

nutty, what is the meetup group for (the one who's asking you to write 100 chars)?

alasdair

damn, that was really nice of you, Pretty_Diamonds.

hope meetup works well for you, nuttynutskin. i've used it to find creative writing groups, and they were a lot of fun.