• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Need a decent replacement for long term muscle-relaxing properties in neck, back areas without drowsiness during the day.

tizanidine was effective, it has been shown to be as effective as diazepam, and I don't think there are same kind of tolerance issues as with BDZs.

Tizanidine was the most horrible muscle relaxer that I have ever tried.

Horrible headache bordering on migraine, as well as heart palpitation and general horribleness.

Did I say it was horrible? Horrible, horrible horrible.

cylobenzaprine (which is non narcotic, non addictive but usually stops working after a couple weeks or three at daily use and feel that cyclo has a better effect in my situation than diazepam (and another benzo)
^^^
ciclobenzaprine
It is only effective for a few weeks at best.
What about a talented massage therapist?
Will see if insurance will pay for this and see that @MsDiz mentioned this as well.
That's when you try to fall asleep but wake up gasping for breath
Was prescribed this also a few years back and had the side effects you mentioned. Was also taking opioids, benzos, alcohol, coke, crack, weed and a few other substances with it and just had to basically give it all up.
I have always been a poly-drug user until maybe a couple years ago when I started cutting out most everything as the ones who depend on me to be productive and provide for (for their quality of life) was worth more to me than my own selfishness, so changes started happening and happened quickly. Of course this took its toll and almost (or actually did) sent me over the edge but looking back was worth it all to be more "there" and supportive rather than being a stone dragging those who loved me down and causing them unneeded and avoidable stressors.

I do appreciate all the replies. ATM I am making great strides in dealing with past traumas with the help of very competent psychologist that specializes in trauma. I may even end up owing my life to her as she has brought me into a decent state of mind after some recent life shit that had me in a very dark place.
I will do the research and follow up with PCP on it all but without emotional/mental stability there is no need for any of it.
Posted this thread to be ahead of the curve when I set up the appointment with GP.
I love you all and appreciate the hell out of every response given... it is more than just a bunch of words: I see it as others sharing some of their valuable time in a life where time is very valuable and the giving of such to an internet "stranger" means more to me than anyone can know.
:group hug:

Last edited:
Methocarbamol is the same family of drug as a metabolite of Soma (Carisoprodol) - meprobamate.

The therapeutic index is very low for carbamate drugs. They act as anti-anxiety as well as muscle relaxants but they have a high toxicity and a very small dose window. That's why they and barbiturates were replaced with benzodiazepines.

It is very easy to overdose on carbamate drugs, especially if other depressants like alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, etc., are being taken.

Personally I have not taken methocarbamol but I have taken Soma.

I have never gotten high from any benzodiazepine, however I have gotten high from Soma and I explicitly stopped taking it because it was a high that I definitely wanted to re experience. From everything that I've heard people say about heroin. That was Soma for me and it was so good that I couldn't trust myself with Soma. So I told my doctor I didn't want it anymore.

It was like I was wrapped in a warm fuzzy blanket and I just didn't want to do anything but lay there and enjoy the feeling, and take some more. I didn't want to eat, I didn't want to do anything other than enjoy the feeling and take some more.
In this case, it’s valuable experience as it relates to the suggestion. I think you would be hard pressed to find any evidence that the two are even remotely in the same ballpark when the comes to effect, potential dangers of use/abuse, and toxicity.

Soma and methocarbomol are wildly different drugs. Chemistry isn’t like baking. A few adjustments to a recipe here or there might get you a different flavor cake but a single molecular bond is changed in a medicine and it’s an entirely different thing.

Methocarbamol is safe, will not get you high or produce any psychoactive effects worth even mentioning, and its abuse potential is incredibly low- as to be nearly nonexistent.

Soma is a fucking gnarly, nasty fucking drug. It has perfectly legitimate therapeutic use and it has a potential for abuse that’s quite high. It goes from being incredibly effective at what it does to being a medicinal wrecking ball that shits all over your brain and turns you into a pile of idiot jelly if you take too much.

I’ve taken both, I’ve overdosed on soma before. Passed out in a fucking food lion with a box of captain crunch in my hands. Woke up in the hospital like “ah fucccck”. I’m not writing any of this as a naive author.

I was prescribed and took a quite high dose of benzodiazepines for over ten years and have, well that much experience with them. I ate plenty (not mineses) recreationally as well, but it never did it for me. Like adderall or other adhd meds for people with adhd, it’s not that fun recreationally. Nonetheless, I have a lot of experience with the entire class of drugs. Soma, again, is not anything like them.

I appreciate that you are clear that your own experience does not speak to your warning about soma and methocarbamol but I think bringing that up despite being able to validate or elucidate on anything you made a point of saying is a…little sloppy. Shit like that can do more bad than good, throwing out what you believe to be potential issues despite having zero evidence to support the idea. I appreciate you mention your lack of subjective experience but what I am getting at is that, well a lot of people here may not be quite so thorough in reading and digesting the comments here, and may easily walk away with the wrong idea. Sometimes it’s better left unsaid if the potential to confuse shit is made worse by mentioning something.

Methocarbamol is solid, but fuck soma so much.

Also, barbiturates and nothin else were replaced by benzodiazepines. Sure I guess it’s just a wording thing, but this is exactly what I’m getting at. This is wrong and lazy to post at best, dangerous at worst.

In this case, it’s valuable experience as it relates to the suggestion. I think you would be hard pressed to find any evidence that the two are even remotely in the same ballpark when the comes to effect, potential dangers of use/abuse, and toxicity.

Soma and methocarbomol are wildly different drugs. Chemistry isn’t like baking. A few adjustments to a recipe here or there might get you a different flavor cake but a single molecular bond is changed in a medicine and it’s an entirely different thing.

Methocarbamol is safe, will not get you high or produce any psychoactive effects worth even mentioning, and its abuse potential is incredibly low- as to be nearly nonexistent.

Soma is a fucking gnarly, nasty fucking drug. It has perfectly legitimate therapeutic use and it has a potential for abuse that’s quite high. It goes from being incredibly effective at what it does to being a medicinal wrecking ball that shits all over your brain and turns you into a pile of idiot jelly if you take too much.

I’ve taken both, I’ve overdosed on soma before. Passed out in a fucking food lion with a box of captain crunch in my hands. Woke up in the hospital like “ah fucccck”. I’m not writing any of this as a naive author.

I was prescribed and took a quite high dose of benzodiazepines for over ten years and have, well that much experience with them. I ate plenty (not mineses) recreationally as well, but it never did it for me. Like adderall or other adhd meds for people with adhd, it’s not that fun recreationally. Nonetheless, I have a lot of experience with the entire class of drugs. Soma, again, is not anything like them.

I appreciate that you are clear that your own experience does not speak to your warning about soma and methocarbamol but I think bringing that up despite being able to validate or elucidate on anything you made a point of saying is a…little sloppy. Shit like that can do more bad than good, throwing out what you believe to be potential issues despite having zero evidence to support the idea. I appreciate you mention your lack of subjective experience but what I am getting at is that, well a lot of people here may not be quite so thorough in reading and digesting the comments here, and may easily walk away with the wrong idea. Sometimes it’s better left unsaid if the potential to confuse shit is made worse by mentioning something.

Methocarbamol is solid, but fuck soma so much.

Also, barbiturates and nothin else were replaced by benzodiazepines. Sure I guess it’s just a wording thing, but this is exactly what I’m getting at. This is wrong and lazy to post at best, dangerous at worst.
It's a scientific fact that methocarbamol and the metabolite of Soma, meprobamate are both carbamates. Both seem to have some sort of activity with respect to gaba a receptors.

It is also a fact that meprobamate which was marketed as Miltown, a. Carbamate sedative, was replaced by benzodiazepines. You can go look it up.

It is also a fact that for muscle spasms most doctors turned to prescribing benzodiazepines instead of methocarbamol. That is a fact.

So benzodiazepines replaced barbiturates and carbamate sedative/ relaxants.

It's a scientific fact that methocarbamol and the metabolite of Soma, meprobamate are both carbamates. Both seem to have some sort of activity with respect to gaba a receptors.

It is also a fact that meprobamate which was marketed as Miltown, a. Carbamate sedative, was replaced by benzodiazepines. You can go look it up.

It is also a fact that for muscle spasms most doctors turned to prescribing benzodiazepines instead of methocarbamol. That is a fact.

So benzodiazepines replaced barbiturates and carbamate sedative/ relaxants.
It most certainly has not been replaced by benzos- methocarbamol, that is. Doctors may begin to favor one drug over another but it was not replaced. This is exactly the kind of sloppy presentation of ‘facts’ that I am talking about man.

Drawing comparisons between a metabolite of soma and methocarbamol is also lazy and misleading. They’re not the same thing. They can be as closely related as they can possibly be and sometimes still not result in similar drugs with similar properties.

WTF am I not getting notifications from this thread ffs.
Bes that way sometimes i guess.
Passed out in a fucking food lion with a box of captain crunch in my hands. Woke up in the hospital like “ah fucccck”.
had a knowing laugh at this.
thanks
=D