• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Need a decent replacement for long term muscle-relaxing properties in neck, back areas without drowsiness during the day.

Lil'LinaptkSix

Moderator: H&R, TL
Staff member
Planning on scheduling apt with PCP in the near future and having a chat with him about this.
If I can keep the muscle aches/pains/spasms at bay for the most part I feel and perform ably.
Been on daizepam, soma and cylobenzaprine (which is non narcotic, non addictive but usually stops working after a couple weeks or three at daily use and feel that cyclo has a better effect in my situation than diazepam (and another benzo) and soma is just too much.
I went from many drugs to combat these back problems over the years to a benzo that contains bromine as part of its structure which is awesome for muscle relaxation and seems that it only is totally effective at around .2-.25 doses to eliminate the issues... but at that dose it becomes too "heavy" to me and the benzo phenom for "oh I havent taken my meds for hours" when ya just did them becomes an issue.
I am currently tapering this benzo slowly and feel I will have no issues when I drop it. Just trying to find a replacement before I do.
My question is... does anyone have any knowledge of a non narcotic muscle relaxer that is sustainable to use for years if need be.
The older I get the more (of course) issues of neck/back aches and muscle "pulls" become more pronounced and frequent.
As much as I love getting fucked up as everyone else (mostly) I have to maintain and make better decisions for now.
Sooo, any takers on this with experience and/or some valid citations to mention?
Thanks for reading and any responses.

I don't really have an answer for you, but personally diazepam has always worked best for me for those physical conditions
but most dr's are scared to even script it out lately in fear of repercussions

Planning on scheduling apt with PCP in the near future and having a chat with him about this.
If I can keep the muscle aches/pains/spasms at bay for the most part I feel and perform ably.
Been on daizepam, soma and cylobenzaprine (which is non narcotic, non addictive but usually stops working after a couple weeks or three at daily use and feel that cyclo has a better effect in my situation than diazepam (and another benzo) and soma is just too much.
I went from many drugs to combat these back problems over the years to a benzo that contains bromine as part of its structure which is awesome for muscle relaxation and seems that it only is totally effective at around .2-.25 doses to eliminate the issues... but at that dose it becomes too "heavy" to me and the benzo phenom for "oh I havent taken my meds for hours" when ya just did them becomes an issue.
I am currently tapering this benzo slowly and feel I will have no issues when I drop it. Just trying to find a replacement before I do.
My question is... does anyone have any knowledge of a non narcotic muscle relaxer that is sustainable to use for years if need be.
The older I get the more (of course) issues of neck/back aches and muscle "pulls" become more pronounced and frequent.
As much as I love getting fucked up as everyone else (mostly) I have to maintain and make better decisions for now.
Sooo, any takers on this with experience and/or some valid citations to mention?
What about physical therapy or general exercise? There’s also application of heat which should help, epsom salt in a warm bath does wonders for me or you can get heat patches that stick directly to the skin. Then you have topical medications like ibuprofen gel or diclofenac gel and I’m sure there are others. There’s also massage that would help enormously to work out the knots.

i took methocarbomol for a long time for back issues. its a non narcotic muscle relaxer. works alright. might be worth looking into. it is, of course, advisable to try all the non prescription options first. they may work well for you.

Yeah this was my first Rx for the issue along with opioids and soma. Trying to stay way form these, ATM. Maybe as I get on in age these may come back into play. IDK.
What about physical therapy or general exercise?
Been there and still do my stretches and exercises every morning before anything else. It does help but ya see there are issues with not only physical traumatic reasons for these issues there is also the problem with arthritis in the same areas being developed.
homemade capsaicin
Will look into this. I know there has to be a natural way to control this "problem" but have yet to do the research and this may be the time to do the work.
advisable to try all the non prescription options first
I have as these issues have been around for decades. Aleve seems to help the most but I try to stay away from ibuprofen and tylenol, aspirin etc as I have to ingest so much that I feel the gut issues and know how hard tylenol is on the liver from past experiences.
I will bring it up with doc again but the last couple times he Rx-ed me meloxicam (which wreaked havoc on my innards) and some kind of anti-depressant o_O ).

Thanks for responses wasn't expecting a magic bullet for it but may send me on a mission to do some deep research on the matter.
Always my best,
:bow:

tizanidine was effective, it has been shown to be as effective as diazepam, and I don't think there are same kind of tolerance issues as with BDZs.

Yeah this was my first Rx for the issue along with opioids and soma. Trying to stay way form these, ATM. Maybe as I get on in age these may come back into play. IDK.

Been there and still do my stretches and exercises every morning before anything else. It does help but ya see there are issues with not only physical traumatic reasons for these issues there is also the problem with arthritis in the same areas being developed.

Will look into this. I know there has to be a natural way to control this "problem" but have yet to do the research and this may be the time to do the work.

I have as these issues have been around for decades. Aleve seems to help the most but I try to stay away from ibuprofen and tylenol, aspirin etc as I have to ingest so much that I feel the gut issues and know how hard tylenol is on the liver from past experiences.
I will bring it up with doc again but the last couple times he Rx-ed me meloxicam (which wreaked havoc on my innards) and some kind of anti-depressant o_O ).

Thanks for responses wasn't expecting a magic bullet for it but may send me on a mission to do some deep research on the matter.
Always my best,
:bow:
well ill be damned. i didnt even think to mention meloxicam and its something i take daily, i reckon thats out of the question anywho.

Mxeh9Wb.png

C02jxwX.png

Maybe I will set up a lab and create my own meds. :LOL:
Hope some of the renditions do not become toxic.

There is a thing, ciclobenzaprine, brand name Yurelax. Not as good as diazepam but the better thing I have tried out of benzos by far. Don't know if they have it in your country but if they do, it is very efective
About benzos for sure tetrazepam, Miolastan, but it was discontinued here. It was even better than diazepam, best muscle relaxant ever but it is a benzo and you would tell.

There is a thing, ciclobenzaprine, brand name Yurelax. Not as good as diazepam but the better thing I have tried out of benzos by far. Don't know if they have it in your country but if they do, it is very efective
About benzos for sure tetrazepam, Miolastan, but it was discontinued here. It was even better than diazepam, best muscle relaxant ever but it is a benzo and you would tell.
cyclobenzaprine is alright. its a muscle relaxer. trade name in the states is flexaril. he takes it currently though. hes looking for alternatives.

Last edited:
Baclofen (GABA-B agonist) similar toPhenibut

Carisoprodol (Soma) prodrug to MILTOWN is an Amazing muscle relaxer

Diazepam (Valium) has AMAZING muscle relaxation properties

Clonazepam (Klonopin) also has AMAZING anticonvulsant properties

Baclofen (GABA-B agonist) similar toPhenibut

Carisoprodol (Soma) prodrug to MILTOWN is an Amazing muscle relaxer

Diazepam (Valium) has AMAZING muscle relaxation properties

Clonazepam (Klonopin) also has AMAZING anticonvulsant properties
op mentioned using some of those currently and is looking for alternatives to them.

i mentioned it earlier but i feel like your plight here is getting lost. you seem to, inexplicably, keep getting suggestions for the very medications that youre asking for alternatives to. quite frankly, it seems like no one even read your post. to answer your question directly:

here are two non narcotic muscle relaxers that work well, could be taken long term, and fit the bill exactly as to what youre looking/asking for-

methocarbamol. trade name is robaxin. excellent for muscle spasms and cramps. indicated for short term use, but i have used it long term under the supervision of more than a few different doctors and i have no side effects to speak of due to long term use. no side effects at all actually. thats my very subjective experience and your mileage may very of course. its good shit, most definitely worth speaking to the pcp about.

the other i would suggest is:

metaxalone. trade name is skelaxin. musculo-skeletal muscle relaxer. ive taken this shit too, it works well for the same type stuff. i thought it was just fine, the methocarbamol just worked a bit better for me. im not aware of any reason this could not be taken long term either, but im not a physician. at all. from a brief glance at the basic info on the drug, there does seem to be some risk of serotonin syndrome associated with it, but i personally never had any issues despite taking an ssri at the time (as well as some other stuff). if you take an ssri or tramadol this may not be great, but thatd be at the discretion of your pcp.

so theres a clear and straight forward answer to your question. hope this helps op.

Last edited:
Baclofen, but it has its issues too.

You have to take it every 6 to 8 hours, and it can cause central sleep apnea and some people. That's when you try to fall asleep but wake up gasping for breath and has nothing to do with obstructive sleep apnea.

It also can cause issues with leaky bladder and can relax your anal sphincter enough to make you leak a bit there too.

I refuse to take it anymore and just deal with the tension.

As far as I'm concerned. Diazepam or chlordiazepoxide is the best for long-term muscle relaxation.

The benzodiazepine Nazis took away my diazepam script and gave me baclofen which honestly really didn't work that well for me.

I have horrible full body muscle tension from an autoimmune disease.

Now I just deal with it.

i mentioned it earlier but i feel like your plight here is getting lost. you seem to, inexplicably, keep getting suggestions for the very medications that youre asking for alternatives to. quite frankly, it seems like no one even read your post. to answer your question directly:

here are two non narcotic muscle relaxers that work well, could be taken long term, and fit the bill exactly as to what youre looking/asking for-

methocarbamol. trade name is robaxin. excellent for muscle spasms and cramps. indicated for short term use, but i have used it long term under the supervision of more than a few different doctors and i have no side effects to speak of due to long term use. no side effects at all actually. thats my very subjective experience and your mileage may very of course. its good shit, most definitely worth speaking to the pcp about.

the other i would suggest is:

metaxalone. trade name is skelaxin. musculo-skeletal muscle relaxer. ive taken this shit too, it works well for the same type stuff. i thought it was just fine, the methocarbamol just worked a bit better for me. im not aware of any reason this could not be taken long term either, but im not a physician. at all. from a brief glance at the basic info on the drug, there does seem to be some risk of serotonin syndrome associated with it, but i personally never had any issues despite taking an ssri at the time (as well as some other stuff). if you take an ssri or tramadol this may not be great, but thatd be at the discretion of your pcp.

so theres a clear and straight forward answer to your question. hope this helps op.
Methocarbamol is the same family of drug as a metabolite of Soma (Carisoprodol) - meprobamate.

The therapeutic index is very low for carbamate drugs. They act as anti-anxiety as well as muscle relaxants but they have a high toxicity and a very small dose window. That's why they and barbiturates were replaced with benzodiazepines.

It is very easy to overdose on carbamate drugs, especially if other depressants like alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, etc., are being taken.

Personally I have not taken methocarbamol but I have taken Soma.

I have never gotten high from any benzodiazepine, however I have gotten high from Soma and I explicitly stopped taking it because it was a high that I definitely wanted to re experience. From everything that I've heard people say about heroin. That was Soma for me and it was so good that I couldn't trust myself with Soma. So I told my doctor I didn't want it anymore.

It was like I was wrapped in a warm fuzzy blanket and I just didn't want to do anything but lay there and enjoy the feeling, and take some more. I didn't want to eat, I didn't want to do anything other than enjoy the feeling and take some more.

I've taken metaxalone also. Didn't work very well, and one of the issues with metaxalone, is that they don't know why it works. That to me is a giant red flag. If they don't know how it works then they don't necessarily know if it's fucking you up in some sort of bad way.

Seriously, look up metaxalone, it'll say mechanism of action unknown.