• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football ver 2009-2010

A few quick comments from my stats.

Averaged over the 5 years, you are seeing the following (points based on description above):
Code:
[U]Conference	AP(Start-End)	BCS(Start-End)	Change(AP,BCS)[/U]
ACC		47-34		37-38		-12, +1
B10		57-52		44-52		-5, +8
B12		60-46		56-55		-14, -1
BE		25-28		27-27		+3, -1
PAC10		43-44		52-36		+2, -16
SEC		82-77		79-72		-5, -7

Which tells me a few things. SEC is consistently viewed as 'stronger' by both AP (opinions) and BCS (computers and opinions). The AP opinions tend to consistently over value ACC and B12 teams from the start, while the BCS sees PAC10 teams fall through the course of the season. Maybe the B10 is undervalued by the BCS?

While the specific teams may rise or fall in any given poll, and that is worth considering how it effects the rankings, the conferences overall can be debatable in terms of 'strength' by these kinds of numbers in my opinion. Unless you wish to write off ALL these based on East Coast bias, or SEC bias....but how much are you willing to argue that at season end?

Back to the effect of a single team, you can see for instance that this year Ole Miss fell considerably from being a top 5 team, but others rise to make up the difference. So in the case of the SEC the general conference stays ranked, but the AP opinions were way wrong on 'who' was the strong team. Likewise, we can probably see a trend where USC remains highly ranked each year, until they lose *that* game, but the AP opinions consider the overall conference consistent (USC falls, someone else climbs to make up the ranking power)....whilst the BCS simply punishes the conference. If we look at the B10+1, there is usually that highly ranked tOSU squad, a #8-14 PSU, and 'another' team, who over the course of the year will fall slightly in public opinion (AP) but gain in the BCS as tOSU falls, PSU rises and falls, and someone like IOWA steadily climbs.

I'm not saying these numbers are a foundation for arguments, but they are fodder for discussion.

Left coast bias? ;)

Top 10 Nonsense in Week Eight Polls
While the top three teams in the country continue to look vulnerable despite wins, the big mystery continues to be the No. 4 team in the country, which has been the case all season.

Let’s play “One of these isn’t like the other.”

No. 4 Southern Cal has one loss—to an unranked, 3-5 Washington team, and the Trojans are coming off two close wins over Oregon State and Notre Dame.

Behind them at No. 5 is undefeated Cincinnati, who also beat Oregon State, in Corvallis, no less. The Bearcats have taken care of business in other games, destroying nearly every opponent—without their starting quarterback, I might add.

At No. 6 sits Boise State, who—despite their weak schedule—has notched a win over Pac-10 leader, Oregon.

Behind Boise State is undefeated Iowa at No. 7. The Hawkeyes won at Penn State, who is ranked five spots higher than Ohio State, the Big 10 team Southern Cal defeated to garner so much respect.

Back at No. 8 is another undefeated team in TCU. They have won at Virginia, at Clemson, and just destroyed BYU. Their schedule will hurt them, but they are taking care of business.

LSU is at No. 9, despite having only one loss—to the No. 1 team in the nation. And here’s the kicker: LSU won at Washington while USC’s only loss was against the Huskies.

And finally, the No. 10 team is Oregon, who is atop the Pac-10 standings right now, and whose only loss is to the currently ranked No. 6 team.

Something is seriously wrong here, droogs. Southern Cal’s preferential treatment in the polls is making an already ridiculous setup even worse.

Obviously, the game in Eugene this weekend looms large for both the Ducks and Trojans. Should USC escape with a win, the pollsters will look justified.

An Oregon win presents an even bigger problem, however—and a possible nightmare for the BCS. Should Oregon win out, how can they possibly jump a team that defeated them, especially when that team will more than likely close out the year undefeated?

BTW, Florida's OOC pretty much guarantees them a good chance of going undefeated. I wonder how their season would have worked out so far if they had Georgia's OOC schedule.

You mean this year? Or in most years? In most years, we stand a chance to lose to FSU (maybe 50-50), but that's our only real chance to lose ooc. However, our in-conference presents plenty of opportunities to lose every year. I won't beat on the drum of 'how tough the SEC is' (despite my numbers above ;) ), but I will say we don't far outclass our opponents each year. Hell, Ole Miss gave it to us last year, in our house. Arky & Miss St almost did this year, and tbh I expect UGA will be fired up this weekend (we outskill them, out-experience them, but I will not say a win is guaranteed). We're 7-0, but its ugly, and I don't think anyone can say FLA is invulnerable without giggling themselves into a piss puddle. Last year we were good, did a lot better...this year not so much, and I do fear we will lose one :\ But if you were speaking to our regular practice of cream puff ooc games, I still can't argue beyond FSU, and the occasional matchup with MIA. I might try to stretch it to USF next year, but I can't do that without having a shit eating grin.

/FL apologist

Because 4 posts in a row from me is better than one tl;dr :D

Friday:
8:00 PM ET No. 21 West Virginia at South Florida (+3) - I'll go USF for the upset. What the hell.

Saturday:
12:00 PM ET Purdue at Wisconsin (-6.5) - OOOoohhh, Big10+1 matchup of the week. Yawn & Channel Flip.

3:30 PM ET Georgia vs. No. 1 Florida (-16) - wtf, have they not seen our offense? What is with this point spread? Anywho, I'll say (hope) FL by 10 (not 16) with 2 timeouts remaining ;)

3:30 PM ET No. 19 Miami (FL) at Wake Forest (+7) - I'll take MIA by more than that.

7:30 PM ET Washington State at No. 23 Notre Dame (-30) - I'd love an upset, but think it's unlikely. I don't even think WSU can cover :\

7:45 PM ET No. 22 South Carolina at Tennessee (-6) - I'd love Spurrier to kick Lane's teeth in (or anybody to do so, actually). I don't think USCe has anything that Monte Kiffin can't handle. The question will be which UT offense shows up, and how well the Gamecock defense deals with it. I'll still be pulling for USCe in that I want TN to lose any and all games possible. Fuck Kiffin.

8:00 PM ET No. 3 Texas at No. 14 Oklahoma State (+9) - Interesting. I think TX starts playing musical chairs in the AP top 3 with FL & AL by making a strong showing @ OSU. But I won't hold my breath.

8:00 PM ET No. 5 USC at No. 10 Oregon (+3) - I'll actually tune in to watch this one (if I can stay up that late....damn I'm old). I'll pull for the Quack Attack because I've always liked them and always disliked USC. Who do I think will actually win? ORE ;)

I'll play...

I threw an additional one that I thought would be pretty interesting.

Friday:

8:00 PM ET No. 21 West Virginia at South Florida (+3) - WVU by 10 in a high scoring game.

Saturday:

12:00 PM ET Purdue at Wisconsin (-6.5) - I believe Purdue can win this one. I'll give 'em a field goal.

12:20 PM (24) Ole Miss @ Auburn... Ole Miss doesn't lose their third game. Miss by 7

3:30 PM ET Georgia vs. No. 1 Florida
(-16) - Florida separates by 10 in the waning monents of the game

3:30 PM ET No. 19 Miami (FL) at Wake Forest (+7) - Miami by a good margin, say 17

7:30 PM ET Washington State at No. 23 Notre Dame (-30) - As much as I'd like to see the upset... ND by 21

7:45 PM ET No. 22 South Carolina at Tennessee (-6) - Tennessee plays another strong game and knocks off South Carolina by 10

8:00 PM ET No. 3 Texas at No. 14 Oklahoma State (+9) - This has me scratching my head a bit. I'm sure Texas will win, but I believe there will be a bit of a struggle. Texas by 10

8:00 PM ET No. 5 USC at No. 10 Oregon (+3) - USC wins this convincingly. They lost their one game already, and Matt Barkley is a damn impressive freshman.

What the hell, Va Tech? I cannot get a grasp on this team for the life of me...

...Hell, the ACC in general, for that matter.

Well, WVU sure blew that game. They didn' utilize Noel Devine at all for some strange reason, on screen passes and such...

You mean this year? Or in most years? In most years, we stand a chance to lose to FSU (maybe 50-50), but that's our only real chance to lose ooc. However, our in-conference presents plenty of opportunities to lose every year. I won't beat on the drum of 'how tough the SEC is' (despite my numbers above ;) ), but I will say we don't far outclass our opponents each year. Hell, Ole Miss gave it to us last year, in our house. Arky & Miss St almost did this year, and tbh I expect UGA will be fired up this weekend (we outskill them, out-experience them, but I will not say a win is guaranteed).

I was specifically talking about this year. And yes, we are fired up after being embarassed last year with NFL talent at QB and RB. Go You Hairy Dawgs!!!! Beat Florida!!!

^^Want to predict who might be the power conference next year, swami? ;) Fair question for all.

I've been pondering this question for a while, and it's difficult to even begin to wrap my head around a prediction.

I think there is going to be a major switch in the usual power conferences, because the SEC and Big 12 are going to a lose a lot of superstars to the draft.

the ACC is looking like my darkhorse contenders while the homer in me hopes that the Big 10 rises back to its 90s and early 2000s glory days =D

what do you al say? this is a very interesting question and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Friday:
8:00 PM ET No. 21 West Virginia at South Florida (+3) - I'll go USF for the upset. What the hell. = = :D

Saturday:
12:00 PM ET Purdue at Wisconsin (-6.5) - OOOoohhh, Big10+1 matchup of the week. Yawn & Channel Flip. = = :|

3:30 PM ET Georgia vs. No. 1 Florida (-16) - wtf, have they not seen our offense? What is with this point spread? Anywho, I'll say (hope) FL by 10 (not 16) with 2 timeouts remaining ;) = = :D:D:D!!!!

3:30 PM ET No. 19 Miami (FL) at Wake Forest (+7) - I'll take MIA by more than that. = = :eek: :\

7:45 PM ET No. 22 South Carolina at Tennessee (-6) - I'd love Spurrier to kick Lane's teeth in (or anybody to do so, actually). I don't think USCe has anything that Monte Kiffin can't handle. The question will be which UT offense shows up, and how well the Gamecock defense deals with it. I'll still be pulling for USCe in that I want TN to lose any and all games possible. Fuck Kiffin. = = :X :! :X :!

8:00 PM ET No. 3 Texas at No. 14 Oklahoma State (+9) - Interesting. I think TX starts playing musical chairs in the AP top 3 with FL & AL by making a strong showing @ OSU. But I won't hold my breath. = = :\

8:00 PM ET No. 5 USC at No. 10 Oregon (+3) - I'll actually tune in to watch this one (if I can stay up that late....damn I'm old). I'll pull for the Quack Attack because I've always liked them and always disliked USC. Who do I think will actually win? ORE ;) = = 8o 8o :D !

=================================

So, yeah, about Pete Carroll and the wishing he'd lose more. I don't need any more X-mas presents, thank you. <3

Heisman? How the funk is Clausen of ND getting more hype for playing Woeful Wazzou State? At least Ingram didn't lose ground for having a bye week :| And no, I still don't think Tebow belongs in the conversation.

=================================

My thoughts on power conferences for next year? Axl is right, SEC will lose a lot of good talent, but overall.....I'm thinking this way, using a 10 pt scale and my gut feel:

SEC - Alabama stays strong, LSU remains flaky, UGA takes a big step towards firing Richt, UF falls back to another 9-4 type season (a LOT of defense leaves, but I'm not too concerned about our next QB), and I see TN climbing into a contender's position as much as I hate to see it. Overall SEC drops from an 8.5 to a 6.5-7 rating.

Big10+1 - tOSU remains the same (overhyped, underperformed), PSU still can't get rid of Joe Pa (even with Bowden losing 14 wins) but remains a contendor (Big10+1, not NC), and Iowa remains atop the conference (I have no idea what they lose, but they are learning a lot of lessons this year that can help them). Oh, and Zook sticks around and loses some more. Overall Big10+1 remains a 6.

BigEasy - Cinci works it for another year, WVU struggles to stay up, USF moves to the next QB and keeps on rocking, the rest remain "the rest". Conference goes from 4.5 to maybe a 5.

ACC - WF is real, MIA is real, FSU loses Jeckyl and keeps Hyde to fully self destruct, VT is the same (coulda, shoulda, woulda), GT remains solid. As much as I crack on the conference this year, I'd give them a 5.5 this year, and probably a 6.5-7 next year.

Big12 - TX stays strong (what kinda QB will they have?), OU rebuilds (Stoops starts sweating it), TT and OkSt both play wannabes that are really can'tbes. Conference drops from 8 last year, to a 6.5 this year (mostly on OU's early rank and late fall), and next year will be about a 6 with TX begging anyone to help their conference SOS.

PAC10 - USC comes back (yes, Barkley will do better), ORE continues it's ways having established their power this year, UCLA will be pre-season cheered by Lap Dawg and again crush all our hopes somehow (yes, I loved Best, but where are they now?), OrSt will have faded, Stanford will be Stanford (isn't it their turn to upset USC again?). Overall, conference goes from 6 this year (maybe 6.5) to a 6.5 next year.

Based on that, I'm seeing ...woah, PAC10 on top? SEC and ACC close behind, then Big10+1 and Big12, with BigE on bottom (again). Meh, can't be. I'm hanging too much strength on too few teams in PAC10 and Big12. I'll say SEC and ACC are at the top next year, PAC10, then Big10+1 and Big12. I'd say this gets reflected in the number of ranked teams as well as where they are ranked. However, early this season I felt like the NCAAF overall was down from previous years...and I feel like it will be lower next year. :\

I see it as

1) Pac 10
2) ACC
3) Big Ten/SEC

next year, I wouldn't be shocked to see a BAMA VS USC National Championship.

^SEC, 3rd, really? Alabama and Tennessee are going to be strong for sure... Houston Nutt and Ole Miss are going to improve as are Arkansas...

I still say SEC is #1, with Pac 10 #2 and ACC or Big 10 #3 (although Big East is making a hell of a statement lately...) Mountain West comes after Big East, followed my WAC and then MAC.

next year, I wouldn't be shocked to see a BAMA VS USC National Championship.
Hell, this year Bama vs Texas for the NC seems most likely, IMO.

very likely. I wish and dream they dominate the Gators in the destined SEC Championship.

OSU could be contenders and not pretenders (as they have been good but just not great since winning the National Championship). as I said in the first few pages of this thread it really rests on the arms and legs of Terrelle Pryor. hopefully he can learn how to pass, and he gets rid of his signature "pass on one foot" move. I'm not used to talking about "next year" as an OSU fan...

but the Buckeyes can still win the Big 10, most certainly. they are in the Big 10 grinder now at Penn State (always a tough place to play cuz they hate us so much), then Iowa is coming into Columbus. Iowa has such a horrible record against the Buckeyes, specially when the game is at the Shoe. they play every team close so hopefully they will play down to OSU's competition.

and then Michigan. while they did get beaten down hilariously by Illinois, I suspect they will want revenge on the last many years of ass whoopin the Bucks have gave them - and the spread offense always gives Jim Tressel heart palpitations.

I'm not used to talking about "next year" as an OSU fan...

HAH!! I grew up in Gainesville in the 70's (combined 58-53-3, with 1979 0-10-1) where I thought the school cheer WAS "Wait 'til next year" ;).

I knew IOWA came to C'bus, but I forgot ya'll hadn't played PSU yet. Hmmm...I'll pull for IOWA just because they are so far from being atop the conference over the years, let someone besides tOSU and PSU win it. But when you end your season against MICH, who do I root for? I mean, I dislike both teams :D I fully expect tOSU has a better squad, but can they handle MICH if the wolverines have an up day?

I have a bad feeling FL-AL will end one of two ways. FL eeks out a win with stronger defense than AL has seen this season, or AL plays strong (doesn't have to be perfect) and FL returns to screw up execution on piss poor play calling and we lose by 20+ :\ I think AL-TX would be a much better NC than FL-TX.

I'm so very impressed with Alabama. I had them in the NC last year, but we all know how that panned out. they looked human against a Tenn squad that is starting to figure out its football mojo, but their defense and run game will allow them to win any game.

OSU @ PSU should be a good one... I just hope we see good Terrelle Pryor and not bad Terrelle Pryor. PSU fans are ruthless and I hope the Bucks smash em up.

while I can't root against OSU against Iowa, it would just make the Big 10 look even more like a joke if OSU beats em. however, Iowa always has problems with OSU. I don't really see them winning at the Shoe (which is still a tough place to play).

you really have no idea the number of in-jokes you're missing directed at atliens in that show. ;)

A little levity from "Every Day Should Be Saturday, where they put a review of last week in graphs (this is only a sample):

is SFW, just minimized to not kill your browz3r ;) And no, it isn't all FL or SEC.
NSFW:

Picture-2.png

Picture-4.png

Picture-9.png

Picture-8.png

Hokay....and this week?

12:00 PM ET Purdue at Michigan (-6.5) - Another MICH loss? I think so.

3:30 PM ET No. 9 LSU at No. 3 Alabama (-7.5) - I'll go with ALA 24 over LSU 13

3:30 PM ET No. 8 Oregon at Stanford (+7.5) I think ORE will win by more, AND both ORE and IOWA move ahead of No. 6 TCU because TCU plays @ San Diego state :\

3:30 PM ET Wake Forest at No. 10 Georgia Tech (-14) - Odds look about right to me.

3:30 PM ET No. 16 Ohio State at No. 11 Penn State (-7.5) - Sorry Buckeyes, I think PSU dials it up worse than that. PSU 24 - tOSU 10

7:00 PM ET Oregon State at No. 20 California (-7.5) - PAC10 upset for the day? Methinkso.

7:15 PM ET Vanderbilt at No. 1 Florida (-35) - I'm not even considering the lines on their games any more. Guessing, I'll go UF 38 - VAN 6 (no TDs!!)

7:30 PM ET No. 15 Houston at Tulsa (+2) - Yeah, oddsmakers are right, and it's a shame this one doesn't look like it's being broadcast (not even on GAMEPLAN) :\ This ought to be a great shootout like Houston had the other week. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Tulsa pulls off the win, but I put the over-under at 80+

8:00 PM ET No. 24 Oklahoma at Nebraska (+5) - I think NEB is down a bit this week, but they should be able to get up for this one and pull the upset. Everyone seems to want a shot at kicking OU whilst they are down. The problem is OU still has a defense, I'm not sure NEB does. :\ Meh, I'll go with NEB on this one, what the hell.

Hmm, a few good ones this week...

9 LSU @ 3 Alabama ... I think LSU will be lucky to score 10. Bama by 14

16 tOSU @ 11 PSU
... PSU has been looking good, but I think it'll be close. PSU by 7

Purdue @ Michigan ... I hope Purdue shows up this week. They can win for sure; I pick them by 3.

OrgST @ 20 Cal ... The only Top 25 game that I think has a real shot at being an upset. It'll hopefully be a battle of badass halfback performances. I think Cal musters out a win (let's say by 7)