• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA BCS National Championship: OSU Vs LSU

we could have a one win season and our stadium would still be sold out every night.
That one line, completely undermines the statement that C'bus has so much going for it.

doh.gif

Oh,

+3.14159265 for Tebow's "girlfriend" pics floating around.

Axl Blaze said:
by the way, I have played a show in Atlanta and the Columbus music scene tops it easily.

Ohh, you shouldn't have fucking said that Jim. I'm pretty sure you promised me that you'd let me know when you were coming down here to play a show. Consider yourself off my Christmas card list.

For What its worth, the atlanta scene is complicated. We have an excellent avant guard festival every year, and we've produced some good rock and roll in the last few years (mastodon, the black lips, deerhunter). One of those is probably kinda up your alley, too. Atlanta has bullshit laws governing live music permits, and about 60 miles away, is one of the best cities for music in the country... Athens. The Athens scene has produced more high quality music than any college town, more than most large cities, too.

man, I was really drunk last night. that was a very lame Columbus/Atlanta arguement, lol. they are both dope places in their different aspects. I will be back down South sometime - I love it down there.

no offence but if you think OSU is football town america make a road trip to the deep south Tuscaloosa and Auburn doesnt matter whether the teams are 0-10 or 10-0 there are few fair weather fans down here. people bleed crimson or orange

Axl Blaze said:
man, I was really drunk last night. that was a very lame Columbus/Atlanta arguement, lol. they are both dope places in their different aspects. I will be back down South sometime - I love it down there.

TBH, Atlanta is a shitty town. Its a sprawling concrete suburb that has to import culture. Save some gas and just visit Cincinnati while you eat boiled peanuts and drink coke, its pretty much the same.

Pander Bear said:
TBH, Atlanta is a shitty town. Its a sprawling concrete suburb that has to import culture. Save some gas and just visit Cincinnati while you eat boiled peanuts and drink coke, its pretty much the same.

awww, that really cuts right to my core, dude. so wrong.... you know that the north can't do boiled peanuts and coke "pretty much the same". :(

drew345 said:
no offence but if you think OSU is football town america make a road trip to the deep south Tuscaloosa and Auburn doesnt matter whether the teams are 0-10 or 10-0 there are few fair weather fans down here. people bleed crimson or orange

i think most of us are just happy to take your word for it;)

ah yes, good old rust-belt cultural elitism. You have so much to teach us about shovelling snow and going to the "beach" at a great lake. ;)

*zing*

yet another reason to 'vacation' in warmer climates at the bowl games. And if we wish to further derail an OSU-LSU BCS thread into a regional geography and culture lesson, I will try to bring some semblance of relevancy back to the thread.

I doubt there will be any visitors for this game with an interest in driving the hour north from N.O up to Baton Rouge, but if you do you have to eat at Chimes - the corn and shrimp chowder is to die for. For those staying put in N.O., there are several good spots to hit up - some for alcohol, some for having said you've been there. For example, Cafe du Monde (sp?) has the benyas (I know I spelled that one wrong) which are doughnut type pastries with powdered sugar on them - great before or after drinking. You've got Bourbon Street, of course, with more bars than I could hope to name (perhaps a local can expand upon this) - but I'll issue the warning that at one end, all bars convert to a 'gay section', either go there or not depending upon what you are after. Personally, I saw quite a few interesting characters down at that end, but never had the courage to cross the intersection.

There are other things to see OFF of B. St, with some market areas, shops, and a lot of street performers (primarily jazz, of course - but very good for street performers). A few funky shops down side alleys for voodoo fun or sex toys, etc.

Of course, being New Orleans, and Bourbon Street, there will be boobage. Forget the temp, you'll be sweating your ass off in the crowds if you go the night before the game. There aren't any cars going up and down the street, but there are a helluva lot of pedestrians, fans from both schools (though the LSU faithful might hang back at home until the day of the game since it is such a short drive...you may find the streets more OSU filled, considering that). Most bars didn't have cover charges (at least the times I've been there) nor were they real uptight about checking IDs, they mostly wanted your money...and they'd let you take your drink with you as you walked out and down to the next bar - again locals can update me if needed.

There are plenty of cops, generally on horseback - nice enough not to bust you for being silly, just don't be stupid and DO NOT FUCK with their horses. Watchout for dark alleys, they are good for pissing but also hold an occasional mugging (safety in numbers isn't just for the ladies). Honestly, one block from Bourbon Street is primarily run down apts, and B.St. is only a few blocks long so there isn't a lot of ground to cover, but within that district are a TON of bars so you should find something that suits you.

Day of the game, I don't expect B. St. to be too active but it might be - ya never know. And again, as long as a fan isn't obnoxious, there is generally some good natured ribbing going on. It *is* feasible to walk to the stadium from B. St. (about 20 min, and I don't think you'd get away with carrying your drink out of B. St.). After the game, B. St. will be completely one color - winners non-stop drinking and celebrating, losers hiding in the hotels and packing bags and waiting for a plane ride home. That isn't predicting an LSU win, more a reflection that anyone ought to have their B. St. fun BEFORE the game, otherwise you may not feel like going out there if you lose :\ Or you can do like I did and just get hammered to the point of not caring (btw, street cleaners run thru B. St. around 6 AM and that's not a good time to call your girlfriend :eek: ). That reminds me - anytime you go to B. St., wear crap shoes that you don't mind covering in shit because you will be walking thru up to 6" of rain, mud, beer, vomit, piss, and general garbage all the time - the later the hour, the deeper the mess.

Last edited:
back alleys on B street are great places to catch herpes: just ask my friend :)

^^^Any particular reason you chose to give it to him there?

Another tip for visitors, if you book a hotel, you DO NOT have to be right on B. St., in fact you may prefer to be off a block or two. Lower rates, and more importantly a chance to sleep at some point. If I recall correctly, there was a Hilton about 10 min walk from B. St. that might be worth considering...though there are plenty of others within a block.

Unless you'd rather have a hotel close to the game, and just walk to B. St. and either walk or cab back afterwards (not a bad choice, since the walk back is miserable if you lose). The walk between B. St. and the stadium is primarily through downtown highrise office buildings - nothing scenic, nothing too dangerous.

I was kicking around the idea of being in NO for new years. I completely forgot about the bowls. I'm thinking now it might not be such a good idea ;)

re herpes:

Man, I fucking wish I had the balls big enough to violate some passed out dude in an alley in the middle of a hot day. My buddy woke up with a sore butt and a life-long illness. NO lived up to both of our expectations.

in the apartment of Axl not a creature was stirring,
though there does live a mouse (Boston has a mice problem),
work has been called off,
and the beers are running cold,
soon in the OSU alumni bar not a tear will be shed,
when the streets of New Orleans run with LSU Tiger blood red.

honestly, to get to the bare minimum I don't know how this game is going to play out. what with the crazy NCAA bowl happenings already one just doesn't know. I could see either LSU or OSU running away with the game or it could be a squeaker.

where are my fellow Buckeyes BA and cravNbeets? holla back, I have a beer for you before I cook this salmon and head to the bar. I wish I was in Ohio.

I wish I wasn't in Ohio ;)

Bein' in Louisianna would be better rightaboutnow :D
And tonight =D

Axl Blaze said:
where are my fellow Buckeyes BA and cravNbeets? holla back, I have a beer for you before I cook this salmon and head to the bar. I wish I was in Ohio.

57754872_afbedcbc2b.jpg

challah bach!