Mental Health Narcissism( and other personality issues) start from continued childhood traumas

Juniper Bruhmomentius

Bluelight Crew
Exactly what the topic name says. I have given this question some thought and Im 100% sure that childhood traumas and abuse are the reason why Narcissism and other personality disorders, addiction issues and quite possibly many sexuality things start manifesting themselves later in life.
Narcissistic parents have most likely faced a lot of these same issues in their life so the problems run from generation to generation.
Drug users and musicians (and actors) are almost always the most problematic and interesting people you could know, so there actually are benefits from traumas in the form of art..
Why is this topic a no-no for many people?
Also, why the fuck is therapy not more easily available to all people in civilized countries?? Just think how much better time mankind would have, if atleast some of these problems were solved.

Is it just me or why the fuck does "narcissism" literally mean boogey man for people? Theres some narcissism in everyone and if you think that drug users are not narcissist at all, then I fear you havent even looked.

As someone who has been in therapy for years because of being on the receiving end of narcissistic abuse, I can tell you that it's not just a case of, "there's some narcissism in everyone". Everyone has some degree of selfishness, but they have a well developed moral core because their parents raised them right. The difference between the average person who goes through periods of displaying narcissism and a true narcissist is that the latter never stops.

Narcissists get created by parents who are overly concerned with focusing on and awarding superficial characteristics, without conveying the warmth and unconditional love that children need to feel secure in themselves. It creates a performative-based personality who constantly seeks validation through projection, to fill a void that will never be filled. Their insecurity never goes away and they control everyone and every thing in their environment so that they can feel good about themselves. They will suck you dry of all emotional energy and then ditch you when you no longer have anything left to give, looking for the next supply. That's what happened to me. I was engaged to a narcissist.

A lot of children are raised in narcissistic environments, but many don't become narcissists. The reasons why some do and some don't are unclear.

Yes, a lot of drug users are narcissists, because drug are one way to artificially feel good about oneself... but it doesn't mean that all drug users are. Drugs amplify what is already there, they (mostly) don't create new pathologies. Eventually the high ends and then you come back down to earth, and when you do, if you have a solid secure inner core, then you won't be returning to insecurity. If you don't have that core, then as a narcissist you will immediately start your next validation seeking activity.

As part of my healing, I communicated with narcissists online who were professionally diagnosed by psychiatrists. My narc convinced me that I was the narcissist, when I actually was the one being fed on. All the narcissists I spoke to - as well as what I learned through reading the literature - told me that narcissists rarely get better. It takes years and years of therapy to even make a dent in it. Narcissists aren't near as a bad as psychopaths, but what they share in common is that they are pretty much incurable. They lack true empathy.

My narc was very skilled at displaying charisma and empathy, but it was all a ploy to get what he wanted. He never truly gave a shit. When I started to catch on, he gaslighted me.

Narcissists are toxic as fuck and I can smell them a mile away now. You're right, a lot of people display narcissism, because our consumer capitalist society was created by narcissists to make people feel ashamed unless they are constantly buying products. So narcissism is rewarded... how good you look, smell, act, how you "display" fitness, etc. But true narcissism as a pathology can only be taught in childhood. It is a pathology of 100% nurture. You're not born with it, you learn it.

Holy shit, super knowledgeable answer with empirical points. I would like to ask some questions tomorrow when Im not drunk, but thanks for going into so much detail.
Also glad that you got out.

Is it possible for a narcissist to have strong morals? (not robbing from a another person, not bullying another person etc)

What was you ex toxicity like? Was he toxic for even the littlest of things? Or was he toxic simply everytime he spoke?

Everyone is self-centered at times. Everyone has the capacity to inflate an achievement, evade responsibility or treat people badly now and then. In people with non clinical narcissism, such things don’t last. They quickly realize when they have been inappropriate, work to heal their relationships and move on. They see no shame in getting support from friends or help from a professional if they need it.

A healthy amount of narcissism is fine. When it comes all pervasive, there becomes the problem.

People with Narcissistic Personality Disorder often lack empathy, being told "no" feels like a personal attack, is oblivious too their own disorder, treats others as subhuman and thinks it's the way it should be, has few real friends, and is asocial when no attention from others is given.

Basically, NPD is narcissism in all aspects of life - it is all pervasive. It is woven into the personality of the individual, and no amount of love or introspection can change their own opinion about their god-like self.

They are slick, kind, charming, whatever they need to be to get you to respect them. Your average narcissist will look like an asshole standing next to someone with NPD who is trying to make a good impression. Most with NPD do not come out from behind the mask until they are very close to you.

They guard their inner world every second of every day. They are directing a movie in which they are the lead actor and the director. They manipulate their words, emotions, and thoughts in order to create a self that is ideal. They are utterly fake, but do not even know it. You will never see what is inside of them, until they act out in such a way that contradicts all that you thought they stood for.

Psychopaths are very narcissistic, like Foreigner said, but the difference, IMO, is psychopaths live their lies and are almost always their "false self", whereas someone with NPD often feel shame about who they are and have periods of brief introspection. There are many more differences, but in regards to narcissism that basically sums it up, IMO.

There's a big difference between someone who is a bit narcissistic and someone with NPD, just like there's a difference between someone who's depressed about something and someone who suffers from clinical depression.

As far as psychopaths, I'm pretty sure they're brains are wired differently.

Yea, my brain is wired differently. Accepted the fact and now I simply have to adopt more buddhist/universal goodness kinda lifestyle.

Sounds like bullshit? Well it is, but Im still going to live it in order to compensate for my existance. Thoughts are weird for a psychopath.

Btw, if you personally are a psychopath, dont fucking tell your other psychopathic friends that you are one or they will dismiss you in their denial.

Yea, my brain is wired differently. Accepted the fact and now I simply have to adopt more buddhist/universal goodness kinda lifestyle.

Sounds like bullshit? Well it is, but Im still going to live it in order to compensate for my existance. Thoughts are weird for a psychopath.

Btw, if you personally are a psychopath, dont fucking tell your other psychopathic friends that you are one or they will dismiss you in their denial.

So you think that your a psychopath? How did you arrive at that? Were you diagnosed?

Exactly what the topic name says. I have given this question some thought and Im 100% sure that childhood traumas and abuse are the reason why Narcissism and other personality disorders, addiction issues and quite possibly many sexuality things start manifesting themselves later in life.
Narcissistic parents have most likely faced a lot of these same issues in their life so the problems run from generation to generation.
Drug users and musicians (and actors) are almost always the most problematic and interesting people you could know, so there actually are benefits from traumas in the form of art..
Why is this topic a no-no for many people?
Also, why the fuck is therapy not more easily available to all people in civilized countries?? Just think how much better time mankind would have, if atleast some of these problems were solved.
What’s wrong with loving yourself unconditionally. I mean isn’t that like the definition of narcissism lol

So you think that your a psychopath? How did you arrive at that? Were you diagnosed?
There are many reasons and no I have never been diagnosed. The power of mind is one that suggests it mostly. When I really think about some stuff that has happened and also the actions/reactions its pretty sickening.

Bo1992, yeah it definitely is. Feels like I have just recently became aware of this lol...

What’s wrong with loving yourself unconditionally. I mean isn’t that like the definition of narcissism lol

Big difference between thinking your above everyone else and "loving yourself". Deep down a narcissist has a broken sense of self.

Big difference between thinking your above everyone else and "loving yourself". Deep down a narcissist has a broken sense of self.
This is true. I am narcissistic, but the thing that truly broke me was propably one of the first times I did lsd when I took 600ug. Also about a one week after that I encountered the void on a bad psychedelic combo. I feel as if those experiences truly shattered my mind.
You cant cure all things but you should be able to cure idiotism though haha,

I come from a family of older narcissists and possible psychopaths and feel sometimes I am a narcissist also. I definitely do not relate or connect to people and I have been diagnosed with Asperger's also. So I was narcissistically abused my whole life and only in the last couple of years have I gone no contact with most of my family. It has destroyed me.

The other interesting thing I learned about recently is that not all narcissists have evil intent but they can sometimes get supply by "boasting" about their own life and rubbing it in your face in a way. I am discovering that now that I reconnected with an old school friend recently. She very much enjoyed telling me how wonderful her partner was and how happy she is with him and how he does everything around the house. I also do believe that a lot of these people who are coming back into my life are flying monkeys as they do tend to know my triggers and bring them up a lot to see me squirm.

I come from a family of older narcissists and possible psychopaths and feel sometimes I am a narcissist also. I definitely do not relate or connect to people and I have been diagnosed with Asperger's also. So I was narcissistically abused my whole life and only in the last couple of years have I gone no contact with most of my family. It has destroyed me.

The other interesting thing I learned about recently is that not all narcissists have evil intent but they can sometimes get supply by "boasting" about their own life and rubbing it in your face in a way. I am discovering that now that I reconnected with an old school friend recently. She very much enjoyed telling me how wonderful her partner was and how happy she is with him and how he does everything around the house. I also do believe that a lot of these people who are coming back into my life are flying monkeys as they do tend to know my triggers and bring them up a lot to see me squirm.
I feel you. There is autism/aspergers, narcissism, alot of hypersensitivity and borderlines in my family. Always had a close family, more like a fucking company though.

I however disagree with your boasting stance. Yeah rubbing things to others faces is wrong, but the boasting isnt narcissistic on its own. Unless its constant.

The people who use your triggers against you arent fucking worth your time. A real friend would never do that. Do you connect with weird people and autistics better though?

I feel you. There is autism/aspergers, narcissism, alot of hypersensitivity and borderlines in my family. Always had a close family, more like a fucking company though.

I however disagree with your boasting stance. Yeah rubbing things to others faces is wrong, but the boasting isnt narcissistic on its own. Unless its constant.

The people who use your triggers against you arent fucking worth your time. A real friend would never do that. Do you connect with weird people and autistics better though?
Was there a scapegoat in your family? I believe I have all those in my family also but I am their scapegoat and they lived to trigger me with the abusive bullying (to me) golden child.

Thank you for saying that about the people who use your triggers against you. I think most people have triggers but these ones make me feel like a shameful freak for having them.

I do think I connect better with other weird people and autistics.

People like to talk about things they are happy about, it may trigger you, but that's not what they are trying to do.
They might be boasting, if they bring it up excessively often, repeating the same things, and that's annoying.

Most people don't have strong triggers like you have, and therefore do not expect others to have them.

Was there a scapegoat in your family? I believe I have all those in my family also but I am their scapegoat and they lived to trigger me with the abusive bullying (to me) golden child.

Thank you for saying that about the people who use your triggers against you. I think most people have triggers but these ones make me feel like a shameful freak for having them.

I do think I connect better with other weird people and autistics.
I will be the scapegoat for the rest of my life for them, since Im different in a "wrong way" in their opinion.

Youre welcome. I had few ex mates who liked to make fun of my worst insecurities. I ditched them and am feeling better.

What kind of people have you found yourself connecting with the most? People tend to bond over similar habits and if there any many things to bond over, its even better.

I will be the scapegoat for the rest of my life for them, since Im different in a "wrong way" in their opinion.

Youre welcome. I had few ex mates who liked to make fun of my worst insecurities. I ditched them and am feeling better.

What kind of people have you found yourself connecting with the most? People tend to bond over similar habits and if there any many things to bond over, its even better.
I have completely given up on trusting people or trying to connect with them. I thought I found someone recently who liked the same things I did but it turned out she was using mind control techniques on me. I am a targeted individual and others are recruited to "trigger" me emotionally with my weaknesses to get a reaction.