• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

My New Rig - Can Anyone Explain What This Barrel Shaped Thing Is?

tackyjan

Greenlighter
Hello All!

I just got this wonderful gift from my friends. (I think they felt sorry for me using the old school style pipe to smoke my tobacco/oils. :D)

kOBNAjK.jpg

I understand how it works for the most part but don't know what is this round thing inline with the stem and what is it for?

CG2bZWS.jpg

PV4LTx1.jpg

I have done some google searching and saw stuff like barrel, tree, peculators, etc. but can't tell which this is.

Does anyone know how much water should be put in it? Should the water level be higher than the top of that barrel thing?

Also, do I need to somehow "prime" that barrel (e.g. make sure it's fully "loaded" with water) or does it matter?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like you would just fill it up with water so the little "barrel" thing sits half way in the water.

If you are unsure, try filling it up to where you think it should go and gently hit it. see if water splashes up and hits your mouth or gets close- if so, too much water.

if there are no bubbles when you hit it, probably means you need more water.

I gave up after the third SWIM.

Jesus.....

I didn't know that dumb ass shit was still so common.... Eh, 's'all good, I don't know shit about rigs anyways....

Hello fellow bee,

The rigs should be filled with small amount till the Water covers the perculating holes.
The bend is to stop water from shooting strait up.
The universal nails can be unscrewed to fit male or female stems
You are gonna need a female nail.
The numbers don't matter but I say number 5.
I hope this helps peace.

Please don't use SWIM, it doesn't provide you any legal protection.

For the perc it's partially personal preference, but you'll probably feel 1 water level give you the best function. I'd try half way up and then totally covered, see which you like better. Probably fully covered but it's hard to tell if there's holes all the way around or just on the bottom.

For the nail I'd recommend spending a little bit more money to be sure you've got USA GRADE 2 Titanium. Just buy a Highly Educated brand nail. The one you showed is a HE ripoff anyway, and they will work on your piece. Nobody knows the dangers of dabbing on China titanium (that is sometimes actually copper or steel).

I am assuming these nails allow you to place the contents directly in the "bowl" and apply a flame while inhaling?

Whereas the following setup:

13808f-600x600.jpg

You have to remove the dome, heat the nail, add the wax, then put the dome back on?

(P.S. I apologize for sounding noobish on this stuff I have just learned about it all. I guess I am old school 80s when things were simpler. :p )

It's ok, the whole idea of using a nail for concentrates was only really invented in the last 5 years or so. (I've heard the first HMK swing was 2009 I think)

Anyway, no matter whether you use the first domeless setup or the nail/dome setup, you HEAT THE NAIL FIRST, then touch the concentrate to the hot surface and inhale (hence, dab)

It's ok, the whole idea of using a nail for concentrates was only really invented in the last 5 years or so. (I've heard the first HMK swing was 2009 I think)

Anyway, no matter whether you use the first domeless setup or the nail/dome setup, you HEAT THE NAIL FIRST, then touch the concentrate to the hot surface and inhale (hence, dab)

Thank you for the kind words and info!!

So even with those titanium nails (shown above) you don't load them and just set a lighter to the wax and start inhaling (much like a "normal" water pipe)? You still have to heat the titanium and then drop in the wax?

Also, won't you loose a lot of smoke using that titanium nail setup and no dome? (From the time you "dab" until you inhale i'm sure it will start smoking.)

I thought I finally figured some of this out and that the dome was used to keep the smoke from rising up and away but now I am confused again because those titanium nails are domeless. :e

Thanks!

hello OP, please edit your post as we do not use SWIM here and you've been on this forum for almost 5 years mate.

nice piece tho :D

you need a female type bowl/nail. looks like 14-18mm, if you haven't used the piece yet you can probably take it into a local headshop and have them help you figure out the size. They can probably show you several style of nails/domes/buckets/banger. I would suggest domeless style nails/buckets. Personally I like ceramic or quartz, have been using a quartz honey bucket lately. if you search "quartz honey bucket" on youtube or google you can see several different types.

personally I use one similar to the one in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3sCt92Ya70
dhgate has good deals, better than amazon ime.

you need a female type bowl/nail. looks like 14-18mm, if you haven't used the piece yet you can probably take it into a local headshop and have them help you figure out the size. They can probably show you several style of nails/domes/buckets/banger. I would suggest domeless style nails/buckets. Personally I like ceramic or quartz, have been using a quartz honey bucket lately. if you search "quartz honey bucket" on youtube or google you can see several different types.

personally I use one similar to the one in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3sCt92Ya70
dhgate has good deals, better than amazon ime.

So this Flying Monkey Titanium Nail I ordered through amazon is not dome-less or at least close to what you are talking about?

I actually just got it and it fits onto the stem using the configuration shown below (number 4):

dTQCUj4.png

/\ no that would be considered domeless, or at least 1,3,4. The rest seem unusable imho.

the other picture you posted is a regular glass nail with dome. The dome is referring to the outside "shell" or housing that sits over the glass/titanium/ceramic nail. The nail is that part that you would heat and drop the oil onto, where as the dome is the part that you would slip over the nail after heating so that you can create suction and inhale the smoke after combustion.

both have the same end results but the domeless style is much easier to use. if you are a connoisseur I would suggest looking into "low temperature dabs"

Thank you all for the help and for being so understanding about my noobish questions. :) I think I finally figured it out!..

That titanium nail I purchased is nice but in my opinion it's overkill and it also ruins the look of my setup. I liked the cleanliness of the all glass and the dome, etc. So what I probably needed/need to do is simply replace the stock dome and nail (which is all glass):

DBmSg9f.png

With either a titanium or ceramic "small" nail such as this:

DzYfG6b.png

The only problem I have now is I don't know what size nail to get. :e

Thanks again!

I'm pretty sure that's a 14mm joint but I can't be certain with the picture.

The domeless nail you have is actually a very effective design. You'll find it's less work and gives a better hit than the dome setup.

if you are using a torch to heat your nail then quartz, ceramic, and glass will all heat up much faster than titanium. They also cool off much quicker but if you aren't taking enormous dabs then they are nice and will probably save you some gas.

personally I think domeless is the way to go, I would look for something like the number 3 set up of your universal, but try to find something that is a tight fit onto the bong so that it doesn't accidentally fall off when hot. domeless are usually much cleaner set ups, that universal one is just a bit bulky so it can fit any style.

^ Look up the Boiling points for each, ie an order of relevance of amount of time to heat each up:

ceramic > titanium > quartz > glass

Ceramic def takes the longest for me to heat up and retains heat the best as well for a huge dab or something.

I prefer domeless to anything else.