Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

My friend has a severe MDMA addiction, guidance wanted

Rio Fantastic

Bluelighter
Hello brothers and sisters,

I have a group comprising of five people including myself. We've known each other for eight years and all live in the same apartment block. We've always loved going to raves and taking drugs, but all of us are responsible, bar one. One of us is a heavy cannabis smoker, but that's not really an issue, we all love a smoke and let's face it weed isn't going to ruin your life. However one of us, Maximilian, has degenerated to the point where he can now in all fairness be called a severe MDMA addict. It started casually enough, we all took our first E on New Years Eve of 2010, and decided from then on that every New Years Eve we'd roll together. We later extended this to other special occasions like birthdays - we ensure that our supply is exceedingly pure because one of us is a pharmaceutical chemist and synthesizes a batch for us in his personal laboratory every time we roll. Despite the practically limitless supply, our use always remained responsible and never exceeded seven times a year, and that's held true for all of us except Maximilian.

We only really started to seriously consider his addiction three days ago when we were all together except for him and we realized that for the past four months we haven't seen him other than when he's on MDMA. Sometimes he admits it and sometimes he denies it, but his jaw clenching and dilated pupils give away the fact that he's already dosed. We started to get concerned so we called his sister, who's a sociopathic bitch but above all honest, who revealed that he starts every morning by railing a line of MDMA and that over the course of a day he takes a minimum of eight pills and sometimes takes as many as twenty five. This is particularly bad news because he obviously doesn't buy it off my friend the chemist, and whilst all the other dealers we and thus he knows sells pills with *some* MDMA in them, the other cuts are a mystery, and one of them sells confirmed methbombs, and one of them even sells fucking piperazines occasionally. We corroborated her story by calling his dealers, who confirmed that he calls them all the time and every single one of them said that he owed them money and regularly begs to be given more credit. As we realized this some of his behavior over the past few months has made more sense - he's been constantly pleading with us all for money, with stories ranging from his cat needs an operation to his impeding eviction and that he needs to buy his girlfriend a valentine's day present. We've also all had calls from him occasionally where he's literally been sobbing into the phone talking about how awful life is and has even threatened to commit suicide - however, these bouts of depression rarely last more than a few hours to a day and it's now apparent that this is because he'll find a way to get some MDMA.

This is especially disconcerting because of the changes we've seen in him. His girlfriend has told us that he's now like two people - he'll go from being overly empathetic, cuddling her all the time and talking non-stop about his love and affection for her, to totally ignoring her and when confronted breaking down and talking about the world "being a dark place", expressing profound misery and suicidal ideation, which has led to her suspecting him of being bipolar and asking him multiples times to go to a doctor, but it's now clear it's his MDMA habit that's causing this dichotomy. The once loquacious, energetic, happy-go-lucky guy with ambition and hobbies is now a lot slower and seems dulled and sluggish, even when he's rolling (which, as I've said, is pretty much all of the time). He's dropped all of his hobbies, he doesn't read or play table tennis or write anymore, his ambition is gone - he used to always talk about his plans of becoming a screenwriter or a director, but now he seems content with just being a part time cleaner. We're really concerned about him and want to help him before it's too late.

Our current plan is an intervention, and any advice or guidance you can offer abut how to approach this and what to say to him in the intervention would be massively, massively appreciated. Our friend the chemist proposed a backup plan that the other three initially rejected but I tentatively agreed with, which was if the intervention doesn't work out to kidnap him and lock him in one of our flats and keep him there for a couple of weeks to break his initial addiction and hopefully help him to see what he's doing to himself.

If anyone has gone through something similar personally or with a friend. or even if you haven't but have any advice or thoughts it would be a huge help, brothers and sisters!!

Last edited:
what you need to do is tell this guy to stay away... he sounds like bad news...

So your friend (who is an adult) is not living his life the way that you want him to and instead of talking directly to him you get his family involved, snoop about talking to the dealers and now your planning on kidnapping him.

If you want to help him tell him how concerned you are for him and offer him your support. Snooping about in 'his' private life and planning some kidnapping and forced detox is a dreadful trick and could be dangerous. You do not know what drugs he is taking and simply stopping certain drugs without tapering could be fatal.

I know that you mean well but you have to understand this guy is an adult, you do not own him and he has the right to live his life the way that he wishes (as hard as that may be for you to understand).

Speak to him about it
Advise him that your all worried about him
Show him that your all there for him if he needs help
Offer support - by support I mean support not some boot camp where you take over his life.

So your friend (who is an adult) is not living his life the way that you want him to and instead of talking directly to him you get his family involved, snoop about talking to the dealers and now your planning on kidnapping him.

If you want to help him tell him how concerned you are for him and offer him your support. Snooping about in 'his' private life and planning some kidnapping and forced detox is a dreadful trick and could be dangerous. You do not know what drugs he is taking and simply stopping certain drugs without tapering could be fatal.

I know that you mean well but you have to understand this guy is an adult, you do not own him and he has the right to live his life the way that he wishes (as hard as that may be for you to understand).

Speak to him about it
Offer support - by support I mean support not some boot camp where you take over his life.

Thank your for your advice, I'll definitely take it on board. Just want to clarify the reason that we spoke to his girlfriend and dealers is because we didn't want to jump the gun and confront him about a problem that potentially didn't exist, so we just asked around to figure out what the problem was first. We're only doing it because we're really worried about him, not because we want to control his life. My friends often make decisions that I disagree with and I'd never dreamed of stepping in, it was only when I see a friend being downright self-destructive with the possibility of harm that couldn't be reversed that I and my friends made the decision to do something.

Yeah, you can't do much more than voicing concerns, if quasi-officially during an intervention type thing; he'll only quit if he wants to.
This is particularly bad news because he obviously doesn't buy it off my friend the chemist, and whilst all the other dealers we and thus he knows sells pills with *some* MDMA in them, the other cuts are a mystery, and one of them sells confirmed methbombs, and one of them even sells fucking piperazines occasionally.

Honestly, at that level of use, MDMA might be more dangerous than the adulterants, as the expected serotonergic strain is severe. He'd actually be better off as a speed addict.

ebola

Speak to him about it

It's not like he is a heroin addict or a meth addict. He is a daily MDMA user. The brain can't handle that kind of seretonin strain every day! If he hasn't already done permanent brain damage, he will very soon. People get horrible depressing long term comedowns from binging for a few days on mdma. Binging for months though? Obviously the original posters friend has a very serious problem and really needs help. I don't see what the big deal is about bringing in his sister, this isn't some minor addiction.

Best of luck OP, hope you get your friend back.

It's not like he is a heroin addict or a meth addict. He is a daily MDMA user. The brain can't handle that kind of seretonin strain every day! If he hasn't already done permanent brain damage, he will very soon. People get horrible depressing long term comedowns from binging for a few days on mdma. Binging for months though? Obviously the original posters friend has a very serious problem and really needs help. I don't see what the big deal is about bringing in his sister, this isn't some minor addiction.

Best of luck OP, hope you get your friend back.

Yes I understand the level of addiction, I also understand that the person in question will probably be living a nightmare. Paranoia and psychosis are both highly likely but before you can start to help the person you will need their trust. Now that the OP has contacted his sister and this guys dealers it may be very easy for the OP to have alienated himself with his friend - the guy with the problem could easily think that this group of friends is working behind his back on 'something'. If the dealers mention that the group of friends has been in contact with them also then it could just make the guy with the problem feel even more isolated, which in turn could lead to further reckless behavior.

Does the guy need help? Of course he does, I'm not suggesting for a minute that he doesn't. I was simply pointing out that the direct approach on these matters are often easier for the person with the problem to listen to (instead of hearing rumors from dealers and his sister which the OP states is a bit of a nut job anyway).

OP I know that you mean well but until you know what drugs he is taking (you say yourself one dealer [of the ones you know he could be using others] he uses,sells meth) then my opinion is that 'forcing' him to do a rapid detox could be dangerous.

Good luck and it would be good if you keep us informed :)

OP I know that you mean well but until you know what drugs he is taking (you say yourself one dealer [of the ones you know he could be using others] he uses,sells meth) then my opinion is that 'forcing' him to do a rapid detox could be dangerous.

Well, you pretty much just need to rule out benzos, opes, or the drink. But it's more that 'forcing' a detox just doesn't work and isn't fair in terms how individuals should be treated.

ebola

Well, you pretty much just need to rule out benzos, opes, or the drink. But it's more that 'forcing' a detox just doesn't work and isn't fair in terms how individuals should be treated.

ebola

Ebola, my initial thoughts when reading this was - guy is doing this amount of stims, he is going to be using something to sleep (benzos/drink) IF he is that far into it then cutting him off could kill him. After that we know that you can't really force a person to detox - yeah you can lock them in a room until their body no longer needs x drug but that has probably made the psychological addiction worse.

This 'intervention' just has disaster written all over it (OP no offence at all, I know your thinking of your friends well being).

Thanks for the advice everyone. At the urging of a couple of you I've decided to veto the whole intervention thing, and now since it's one against three we've decided not to go through with that. We're planning the intervention tomorrow evening - anymore advice about specifically how to bring it up? And how the tone should be, should we be kind and sympathetic or more of a "tough love" approach?? Should we act suspicious and concerned or lay our cards on the table and flat out state that we know?? Should we go for hard facts and evidence about the dangers or more of a situational and vague warnings?

I would start with a kind and calm conversation, and ask him how frequently he's using. Try to get a confession by acting concerned and worried, before bringing up detox. Talking to him in a "tough love" way may just make him angry at you.

I would start with a kind and calm conversation, and ask him how frequently he's using. Try to get a confession by acting concerned and worried, before bringing up detox. Talking to him in a "tough love" way may just make him angry at you.

I have considered this, my only gripe is what if he denies or underplays his level of use??

I'm not sure what the value of 'extracting' a confession is. Just let him know you know.

ebola

That confession might be more valuable than you think. Like every addiction, this too can only be solved by making him aware of the consequences of his practice and making him realise his addiction. Most addicts deny it even to themselves!

Am I the only one here who can't even conceive how is it possible for someone to be addicted to MDMA on this level?!?8(

All else fails, IMO he needs to be remanded to an institution for his own good, this is mental. That is an insane level of use.

Am I the only one here who can't even conceive how is it possible for someone to be addicted to MDMA on this level?!?8(

I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes once. Not to give you a grim outlook OP but the guy I'm talking about did that for 6 months on end. He is now certifiably crazy. Scarred by a psychosis so profound they don't know if he'll ever be able to have a somewhat normal life. It triggered latent schizophrenia in him as well. He now has to take around 15 different meds each day just to be able to be around people. He will never be anything like normal again. If he is somewhat aware of what exactly MDMA does in the brain try to bring across the point that while MDMA when used wisely is pretty safe and doesn't cause much harm, it causes absolute havoc if you develop a dependency to it because of how it works. More so than a lot of drugs that are a lot more addictive

From experience with addicted friends of mine (amphetamine addicts in the highest degree) I can tell you that if there is even a shred of doubt left in his mind about the severity of the situation and the dire need to change it, if he can talk himself into continued use, he will. So I hope your intervention comes at a time where he himself has already recognized the problem. Otherwise it may become very difficult to convince him. Whatever you do, do not lie, do not go behind his back and do not try to force him to do anything. As has been said he is an adult. Any lie, misdirection or any use of force in whatever way will backfire. It will render the statements you make afterwards completely invalid in his eyes. The absolute last thing you want, if your friend is as dear to you as I suspect, is scare him away or alienate him from the group in some way. This would be catastrophic. Try to make him see that this is not the end of the world, that you guys as a group can support him whenever he needs, that you do not judge him or think less of him. That it is a hurdle to be overcome, like any other hurdle you guys handled together as a group

And try to find out what the root cause is for this. In my opinion if you get dependent on something like MDMA out of the blue and as hard as your friend (same goes for a lot of other addiction cases too) there is some underlying reason. Something happened or they have some trauma from the past that re-emerged or any other reason. He will have other issues besides the MDMA-dependency

To conclude I congratulate you on standing by him. I hope you have more success than I've had in the past with friends of mine. Such a situation is not only hard on the person with the dependency but also on his close friends, as I experienced far too often :) he can only help himself, but you guys could be the push in the right direction he needs

Last edited:
I can't imagine doing mdma for that long daily and still waking up in the morning and wanting to do more. And what's also fucked is by this point he's barely getting high off it, probably just getting a tweak rush certainly the empathetic effects are long gone.