• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc My experience with over 2g of DXM & thoughts on 3g+

RedBow

Greenlighter
To start us off, the highest dose of dxm I've ever taken has been 2.3g in the form of Dextromethorphan Polistirex (or Delsym) which is pretty insane. My theory for going higher is that at doses over 3g (still referring to Delsym) you start to become almost feral, like how they depict native american tribes sometimes in documentaries- they're still human but act like savages or animals. In my experience, starting at around 900 mg of dxm poli, I start seeing animal faces and even human faces as "predators" of mine. I lose my ability to recognize what's "friendly" and make rational decisions about whether what I'm doing could be dangerous or not. Of course it's very possible to die from taking that much [3g+ of dxm poli] as it is a huge amount, but some people gain higher tolerances and/or metabolize things differently than many others- for example, take me- it takes different doses of most any drug to give me the same effects as the majority of people out there, most likely due to something being up in my liver, I'm unsure as to what exactly causes this though. I've seen a report before of some man using 4g of dxm but he doesn't go into much detail about it and had a ridiculously high tolerance for dxm which, of course, could mean his experience on it would greatly differ from mine or someone else's. However, let's say you don't have a tolerance and you decide to take 3g for some unknown reason, what would happen? Backtracking to what I said about recognizing faces, I believe that this would surely happen, but to an even greater effect. You would probably see a human as a beast trying to kill you and put yourself into "fight or flight" mode, I would compare it to how the viking berserkers acted and saw things on a different level of understanding than you or me. On higher doses of dxm (for me, at least) you get more energy and don't feel much when it comes to being hungry or thirsty. However, I still eat and drink but it kind of just disappears and feels like I didn't do anything. Back to the vikings- berserkers were beasts of men and they would enter a fit of rage whenever they were in the midst of something unknown- they had huge amounts of strength, energy, and couldn't feel pain. Honestly, to me that sounds a lot like like bath salts or PCP- and this is what dxm usually gets compared to, those among others, like Ketamine. Is it safe to take 3g or more of dxm, regardless of it being polistirex or not? I doubt it, but if you want to experiment on taking higher doses, I wouldn't be the one to stop you, since I've been one to really test the limits myself. I've found that dxm is a very interesting drug, as I would describe it by being "a little bit of every drug together, but what you'll get is randomized". You can be seeing visuals one trip and then when using it next, you won't see visuals but will be super energetic & feel nothing and then other times you'll just feel really sedated like taking a benzo or something heavier to just take you to sleep. At a certain limit that everyone has, high enough doses of dxm would undoubtedly make you incredibly dangerous to others- I read one report about a women taking 4g of dxm and having a hallucination about her mom attacking her in some way, so she tried to kill her (unsuccessfully) and was sent to a mental hospital. I know some people like reading these things just to find what people are crazy enough to do nowadays and I also don't see really any threads about taking doses like this, which even as potentially lethal as it is, it could reveal some new, very interesting research from doing such a thing if it were done correctly. Another thing I've seen is that taking a dose at around 5g will result in you "entering" something called Red Heaven- which is the 5th plateau in a sense. You will hear your conscience talking to you when you enter this plateau, every thought you think will appear to you in 3rd person- for example, "I'm tired, I should sit down" will be thought as "You're tired, sit down". This is interesting, definitely up there with all the things you see in the 4th plateau such as aliens, higher beings, and other crazy things- which even after doing 2300 mg of Delsym, I still haven't reached yet.

anything beyond a gram risks some pretty serious effects. serotonin syndrome. death. I would seriously think hard about taking >1g, personally. 1 was PLENTY crazy for me, at least.

anything beyond a gram risks some pretty serious effects. serotonin syndrome. death. I would seriously think hard about taking >1g, personally. 1 was PLENTY crazy for me, at least.
No argument there, I don't have any clue what it is with my body that allows me to survive after doses as high as I went. It's actually really interesting how serotonin syndrome and people's experiences with red heaven or the 5th plateau are so similar, that's most likely what red heaven or the 5th plat actually is.

Edit: Tweaked my sentences to make more sense

Last edited:
I really caution anyone reading this about even considering dosages like this of DXM. It is definitely not safe and as a Harm Reduction resource, we would be in the wrong to not mention this fact clearly and publicly.

I have nothing against you OP. I'm trying to be truly objective here. If these experiences are for real, then I think you probably have some unique biological variables going on that cause you to not "feel" the same effect as most other people do. It happens.

If anyone is looking for more reasonable dosing suggestions and firsthand experiences, Erowid is the old standby for a good reason. Here is the link! :)

I really caution anyone reading this about even considering dosages like this of DXM. It is definitely not safe and as a Harm Reduction resource, we would be in the wrong to not mention this fact clearly and publicly.

I have nothing against you OP. I'm trying to be truly objective here. If these experiences are for real, then I think you probably have some unique biological variables going on that cause you to not "feel" the same effect as most other people do. It happens.

If anyone is looking for more reasonable dosing suggestions and firsthand experiences, Erowid is the old standby for a good reason. Here is the link! :)

Also if you want to try dxm I would recommend trying to get it in pure form, the syrups and OTC versions have a lot of additives. The erowid chart is a good resource and also the psychonaut wiki has a good amount of information on dxm.

You obviously don't know what serratonin syndrome is nor have you experienced it
I do know what it is, actually. However, I know through research on what it is so I could avoid it, not personal experience, which would make for a rough time for sure. You didn't even spell "serotonin" right, man- I'm not here to fight, but don't come out here saying I don't know what SS is without any reason. I went back and fixed up the way I formed that sentence earlier so that it'll come across clearer to others. I don't think it's interesting in the sense that it'd be "fun" to get or anything remotely like that- I think that it's interesting as it has a lot of the same effects with it as many people who reached the "5th plateau" or "Red Heaven" described, that's all I meant.

Last edited:
Just because my autocorrect has the wrong spelling doesn't mean much... That being said I think I get what you're saying, but there's so much activity going on there's possibly many explanations.

Not recommending super-high doses but DXM Polistirex behaves very differently than DXM HBr. The Poli lasts about twice as long at about half the potency. Also I've found going up past a certain point (>2.5g) only effects the duration and not the effects (For me at least).

Really interesting to see you also experience beasts/warriors hallucinations. I get these regularly too, usually more vivid when adding DPH. One of my craziest trips was 2g Poli, 1g HBr, 300mg DPH (Tolerance sucks) and then going outside to watch the moon. I remember being surrounded by jaguars, giant spiders, and the trees turned into huge humanoid warrior staring down at me. The double vision also caused the moon to look like eyes and it seemed the whole sky was almost a viking face wanting me dead. Trying to pet the jaguars resulted in them disappearing :(

Not recommending super-high doses but DXM Polistirex behaves very differently than DXM HBr. The Poli lasts about twice as long at about half the potency. Also I've found going up past a certain point (>2.5g) only effects the duration and not the effects (For me at least).

Really interesting to see you also experience beasts/warriors hallucinations. I get these regularly too, usually more vivid when adding DPH. One of my craziest trips was 2g Poli, 1g HBr, 300mg DPH (Tolerance sucks) and then going outside to watch the moon. I remember being surrounded by jaguars, giant spiders, and the trees turned into huge humanoid warrior staring down at me. The double vision also caused the moon to look like eyes and it seemed the whole sky was almost a viking face wanting me dead. Trying to pet the jaguars resulted in them disappearing :(
That's awesome, I'm glad to learn about someone having similar trips. Not really trips for me because I haven't hallucinated on dxm yet except for maybe one or two times. Dxm is an awesome experience because for me it gives me a lot of energy and I feel like an animal and that I could control anything. If I could compare it to anything it would be like the ending scene in Apocalypse Now where he's rising out of the water and he's basically just gone insane. He moves around like an animal, really his movements are similar to jaguar, quick, precise and stealthy.

That's awesome, I'm glad to learn about someone having similar trips. Not really trips for me because I haven't hallucinated on dxm yet except for maybe one or two times. Dxm is an awesome experience because for me it gives me a lot of energy and I feel like an animal and that I could control anything. If I could compare it to anything it would be like the ending scene in Apocalypse Now where he's rising out of the water and he's basically just gone insane. He moves around like an animal, really his movements are similar to jaguar, quick, precise and stealthy.

Interesting you don't hallucinate, have you ever tried the HBr? I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen anything on just the Poli and I'm pretty sure I haven't. Usually why I tail it with HBr + DPH, get some excellent visuals but not terrifying like DPH alone.

Definitely feel you on the energy/animalism. Get something very similar, tend to be incredibly sore the next couple days since I will literally climb things and run around everywhere. Also at the same time makes me give 0 fucks about anything, which isn't always a good thing :p Glad to see another enthuist, definitely stay safe experimenting at those doses.

the most I did was around 1800 mg, i was homeless at the time and all night and the next day I was tripping very hard. I remember thinking that a bush was plastic, and then sitting on a bench for hours. one of arms swelled up and I was barely able to use it. fortunately that went away after a few days.

Believe me that shit DESTROYS your brain.

The original "This is Your Brain on Dissociatives The Bad News is Finally In" was essentially retracted later "The Bad News Isn't In".

Also more recent studies also confirm that lesions aren't observed in rat studies: Oral administration of dextromethorphan does not produce neuronal vacuolation in the rat brain

So "DESTROY" is a bit hyperbolic, but I agree with the sentiment. Extreme doses without tolerance are outright dangerous, but that's true of most compounds. It's also still a bad idea to take every day at recreational doses, but that's also pretty universal and not unique to DXM. You will start to get delusional and lazy if taken too often, but that's just hallucinogens in general.

Last edited:
I took it all the time basically daily for like a few years at like 240 mg and i dont think it did any damage physically. The problem was it made me bizzare which slowly destroyed me socially making my life fall apart.

A lot of people are either unaware or forget that DXM is actually more effective as a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor than it is as a dissociative. I can't imagine anyone would say it would be healthy to gobble down two grams of Prozac or the like. At least the DXM polistirex is only like 50% or less DXM by weight (no clue on the specific number, but it's low). So you're "only" doing 1000 mg - 1500mg. That's at the top of the dose range I'd consider safe.

At extreme doses of DXM I'd be worried not only about serotonin syndrome but also plain ol' hypertensive crisis (i.e. "norepinephrine syndrome"). It's not pleasant to experience, I'm told. I actually recall one stupid time I took 1080mg of DXM HBr back when I was in high school. That was a blackout that ended with me hosing neon pink vomit all over the bathroom and scaring the shit out of my family, nothing really gained from that trip except the lesson to not do that again.

Jesus christ you guys, lol. My sponsor took a bunch once and had a stroke, but he "walked it off" he said

The original "This is Your Brain on Dissociatives The Bad News is Finally In" was essentially retracted later "The Bad News Isn't In".

Also more recent studies also confirm that lesions aren't observed in rat studies: Oral administration of dextromethorphan does not produce neuronal vacuolation in the rat brain

So "DESTROY" is a bit hyperbolic, but I agree with the sentiment. Extreme doses without tolerance are outright dangerous, but that's true of most compounds. It's also still a bad idea to take every day at recreational doses, but that's also pretty universal and not unique to DXM. You will start to get delusional and lazy if taken too often, but that's just hallucinogens in general.
I'll take some once every few months if even. I don't even use drugs that much honestly I just like researching them.

I took it all the time basically daily for like a few years at like 240 mg and i dont think it did any damage physically. The problem was it made me bizzare which slowly destroyed me socially making my life fall apart.
Ah man that sucks, dxm actually makes me more social but I don't know how it would affect my life if I took it daily and I don't plan on trying that ever.

Jesus christ you guys, lol. My sponsor took a bunch once and had a stroke, but he "walked it off" he said
"Walked it off" lmao, taking a bunch of dxm the first time made me feel like I was going to have a stroke at any moment. Now that dose isn't even a lot to me, but I'll still take 900 mg occasionally and I get high, and of course I took the large amounts these past few months with not a lot happening besides feeling normally high.