• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos My doctor pulled me of valium, 10-15mg a day for 6 months as of today, wtf do I even do?

I was put back on it after being hospitalized for basically admitting I was suicidal to my audiologist 2 months ago.

Yeah man I read some of the posts on tinnitus. I know some members are suffering from it and I have suffered from it at times. Here is what I learned. First off I have not thought of tinnitus in years. But at one point I did think I would go crazy. But here is the catch to remember. It may sound esoteric but it is what helped me. When a person closes his eyes there is not a complete blackness either. There is always static. Same with hearing. I have whistles and gurgles and ringing if I put my focus on it. The white noise concept uses focus as a healer. There is luxurious silence behind the noise. There is luxurious blackness behind the static. But as long as we are in a body there is static and interference.

I am willing to bet Mac if I ask you 3 years from now you will have focused past the tinnitus. Say it is not as relevant. Because life will consume you and your focus will go beyond the static. I think everyone has tinnitus. There is not a word for the visual interference when we close our eyes I don't believe. (maybe CEV) But close your eyes and there is certainly not perfect darkness yet that does not bother us as much.

DMT: next time you take a decent hit. (20 mgs zoots me) you may notice there is no more ringing as your consciousness flies right past the static. Pay attention next time. And feel better about this.

I don't say this stuff lightly. I have been corrected a few times and had lengthy conversations with my friend Chris Timothy. I may have too much of an esoteric view. Maybe there is a drug or something that gets rid of tinnitus. But the white noise concept almost shows it is a focus thing. And we all have it. I did go through a period where I felt like I had to get out of life as the ringing is too much. That was about 25 years ago. So I did totally get past it and tinnitus does not bother me at all and it is for sure there when I look for it.

Like really, is there anything I can take to prevent withdrawal? I'm scared. It's not been 48 hours yet and that's the half life, and I do have some kava capsules but I don't think that will get me through this, I don't even have that many. I just can't see how this isn't malpractice. And yeah, I have gabapentin as well, but that doesn't do anything to me because I've been taking it for almost 2 years at 600mg a day. I'm not trying to run my whole script out dealing with this shit. So frustrated
Buy some phenibut and use that instead,or drink alcohol, then you can taper

I'm not gonna resort to booze, I used to have a pretty big problem with it and have been sober for almost 3 years.
Phenibut is also as far as I'm aware way more potent and addictive, so I don't think I'll take that route. Also don't want to take the Lyrica route because I know that is more addictive as well. Gabapentin forces you to moderate it if you actually want good effects, and that's something I like.

As for the tinnitus I'm aware there is a "habituation" but this is far more severe than that, I don't think one could possibly become habituated to this level. I have had periods in the past where I had it for awhile and recall someone saying "never focus on your tinnitus" which I agreed with, and mostly made jokes about electric needle dicks fucking my ears, but that was 1/20th of what I've got now. Some solution will be figured out I'm hoping. If I take 2 Benadryl and a hot shower the noise goes down considerably to completely, but swallowing or burping can spike it back at least in my right ear. Then Flonase makes it go back down for a bit.

Although I had a CT showing negative for fluid, I can physically feel something moving especially in my bad ear, the right one, often when I swallow. My tinnitus randomly disappeared before the CT so the result may have not been accurate. Same problem when I saw the audiologist 2 months ago, he saw eardrum movement when my tinnitus was gone, but when my doctor did the air pump thing, my eardrums didn't move.

As for DMT, which I did for a month straight last summer, it never really gave me ringing in the ears. I hear this is common, or some kind of vibrating sound. Maybe because I'd always have headphones on I didn't notice it, there was always some music playing whether I was at home or doing it at a friends house.

Last edited:
I'm not going to lecture you OP, but I'm in the camp of believers that Benzodiazepines are short-term therapy except in statistically rare situations.

Please believe me when I say that this is not meant to be condescending or rude or anything like that. I just want you to hear my opinion. It's an opinion, yes, but it's an opinion formed from years of research and experience.

In your last post, I read "I'm not quitting anytime soon, given the current state of things" or something very similar. Basically, every person that I have ever known who takes Benzodiazepines would say the same thing. They would quit, but they can't because it's just too stressful. Meanwhile, the ups and downs of the Benzodiazepines reinforce this feeling of anxiety. I've yet to meet someone who says they don't regret chronic Benzodiazepine usage who is really being honest about their situation.

I'm not judging you or pretending like I know your whole story or all of the answers, but I am catching you at a good time, when you are in the very early stages of usage. Benzodiazepines are not a chronic treatment for anxiety. They never were. The piper will have to be paid at some point. It only gets more difficult with time.

Your experience is what I would expect given the time you've been on Diazepam (Valium) and the relatively low dosage that you're taking. If anyone were to ask me what to expect, I would say mild insomnia, maybe some temperature intolerance like sweating and some increased anxiety, but nothing that would leave you non-functional or in the nightmare-league of withdrawal that I'm sure you've heard of.
It's all good. When I say given the current state of things it's largely my mental health naturally. Anything that keeps me from going on a rampage and taking my life is worthwhile for right now. THC does this the most, it's my best anxiety med, but because it seems to be largely responsible for my tinnitus re-developing, major overuse so I have to back off. Before I had the money to go on splurges and get tons of weed or dabs, I would make a gram last like a week, an 8th a month. My use was just nowhere near as high even if I did manage to smoke daily for years. I was reluctant about THC because sometimes the next day would be quiet but the day before my audiology appointment I overconsumed like crazy on purpose to get bad results, that's when my tinnitus decided, see ya, only for the test, just to come back not long after, so my results weren't accurate. Prior to this my tinnitus had been the worst it'd ever been, and that should've been telling enough.

Yeah asking for the rx a day early was a mistake. never ever do that no matter what the situation is because it’s flags you are potentially having a problem with your intake of medication.
so to anyone talking a controlled substance never ask for your meds early, no matter what happens. The drs will only think it’s bullshit. Even if you are like here is the police report where I was robbed at gun point. It’s not their fault it’s that at least here in the states they have the DEA tracking prescriptions of that nature
Anyone who intends to prescribe legal controlled substances in the U.S. must register with the DEA. The DEA then assigns them a number to include on their controlled substance prescriptions. The primary purpose of a DEA number is to allow the DEA to track controlled substance transactions and refilling them early signals a potential problem and drs just dump those patients now.
sorry that happened to you
benzo withdrawal terrifies me
I hear ya….but in my case I do it every month, and get it.

Methadone (100 tablet bottle) I get every 30 days…..somehow it’s always ending on a Monday, but pharmacy opens late, and I’m in at work early…..so I ask the doc if I can pick up Sunday when I’m able to…..No problem. Otherwise I’d have to go a full day without my daily Methadone dose, which isn’t good.

Not only do I ask for early pickup of Methadone…..but I do it every month. Pharmacy & Doc I’ve been going to for 30 years and know me by name. When I call they know it’s me by sound of my voice alone.

They know the drill….

It isn’t always a red flag….but generally it could be. In addition to, “I lost my meds” lol, a few days after a full months pick up lol, it also happens….but only once, and you’re lucky as shit to get it. It’s an Ace up the sleeve that can only be used once for a rainy day.

They never took it as a red flag, my insurance simply allows for this and sometimes it's been more convenient this way, due to the fact that I might run out over the weekend and it's not eligible until a Saturday. My doctor can fill prescriptions any day but for some reason, he only does it when he's in the office. He has access to the patient portal 24/7 and it's frustrating how he just thinks, "well, I'm not at work, so why should I check up on my patients?"

I need a new doctor. At this point he's too lax at prescribing it to me, and he's giving me 45 instead of 30. Like this is good, for now, until I can figure my ears out, but it's still not a good crutch. It often doesn't really do that much anyway because of tolerance unless I combine it with valerian root, passionflower and other gaba agonists.

"you can quit prozac CT, it has no withdrawal" from my GP.

Your doctor lied his ass of to you and he/she knew they were lying to you.

I think he's mostly just extremely ignorant. He said the same thing about quitting my TCA, which did still have mild brain zaps. A lot of doctors seem to think Prozac doesn't have much of a withdrawal. I know when I CT'd it at 14, I had no brain zaps, but I was profoundly depressed for awhile.

Like really, is there anything I can take to prevent withdrawal? I'm scared. It's not been 48 hours yet and that's the half life, and I do have some kava capsules but I don't think that will get me through this, I don't even have that many. I just can't see how this isn't malpractice. And yeah, I have gabapentin as well, but that doesn't do anything to me because I've been taking it for almost 2 years at 600mg a day. I'm not trying to run my whole script out dealing with this shit. So frustrated
Google the Ashton manual print it off and show him the protocol for benzo tapering. Prof Ashton's tapering protocol is being accepted in the medical community. Sudden discontinuation can be deadly the Dr should know

I think he's mostly just extremely ignorant. He said the same thing about quitting my TCA, which did still have mild brain zaps. A lot of doctors seem to think Prozac doesn't have much of a withdrawal. I know when I CT'd it at 14, I had no brain zaps, but I was profoundly depressed for awhile.
Same goes for AD prof Ashton field was mainly benzodiazepines however the same protocol should be applied for AD withdrawal.

He cannot argue with someone who's studied and devoted her life to raising awareness of the dangers of benzodiazepine and the protocol for discontinuing them

Kava might be something to try. With nine concentrated powder, you might need like 15 to 20 to 25 g though.

As far as prescriptions, baclofen or gabapentin or pregabalin might be something that a doctor could give you.

If worse comes to worse, alcohol affects gaba too, albeit admittedly alcohol is never as fun or pleasant as benzos. In a way it could make it worse but it might stop you from seizing. so at the very least you could use a low tolerable dose to take the edge off although I don't know if it will even touch it at that high of a dose per day.

You're probably going to have to go to the ER.
30 min ideally for most, drinking kava is like driving up a slopey hill. Half way stuck on a slope backwards awkwardly no view, no point.

35-50 grams is the range for most. Kava isn't intended for under-dosing.

I just blended up a 50/50 mix heavy Vanuatan and mixed but lighter Fijian 70 grams total.

I will stretch it over today now.

70 grams is enough to cover my needs this monent in life . 60 not though.

I support your reasoning and suggestions exactly still, just upping dose 35 min, 40-50 if tolerated over 2-2.5 hrs as well, empty tum follow with meal hr after final dose.

damn bro, I wish they would let us talk about brands or vendors in certain contexts, because I can't even imagine consuming 70 g of kava. but hey, if it scratches the itch and helps take the edge off, then sweet

Bro….can you please go to a walk-in clinic or family doc and get a script for Clonidine 0.1mg tablets X 3 daily

You’d be 70-80% feeling better.

A potent anxiolytic & sedative that lowers blood pressure and reduces NE norepinephrine in the CNS (your bodies fight of flight response)

Clonidine can give Benzo’s a run for its money as an anxiolytic & sedative. Easily.

BTW Lyrica kicks Gabapentin's ass.
If insurance doesnt cover it, GOOD RX , it will cost about 25 bux for the max dose 300mg tid.
Claim neuropathy from an injury. Easy as cake to get.

No harm done dude, but please be aware of your tone and how that reflects with our philosophy. We don't want to be or be identified as a place where folks go to get information regarding acquiring drugs. A big part of the small shred of public support we've been able to get over the years is due to our dedication to positive knowledge regarding Harm Reduction. We cannot be grouped in with the "drug problem" any further than we already are.

We all know there are other resources out online which can be used for this sort of thing. We would just like to keep it outside of Bluelight. Like I said, no harm done. Please just consider all of this.

I know a lot of people are going back and forth in this thread regarding the opinions of their respective providers. I know this is going to sound very anti-establishment, but prescribers are generally speaking, much, much less aware in purely scientific ways and terms as to how these drugs work and more so are often totally unaware of how the effects of these drugs extrapolate over chroni periods of usage.'

Pharmacology in Western Medicine is like a large open-beta test. The second-in-command full-fledged medical doctor, prescriber of Methadone at the clinic I went to did not know what Cytochrome P450 was as an entire family of enzymes. I brought it up in her office as I just like discussing these things with actual doctors to see where the prevailing opinions lie on certain things. I asked how she handled issues regarding exceptionally poor or good metabolizers of Methadone. She got on her computer in front of me without saying a word, read for a few minutes and looked at me and said "oh, you mean enzymes?". I never attached a great deal of medical knowledge to the clinic staff, but look at it this way, her entire career, her day to day life as a doctor and scientist consists of prescribing a single drug over a huge population, had been in that job for over a decade and couldn't come up with a single word about P450 without looking it up.

Call me crazy, but how does a history teacher who learns this shit for pure fun and kicks and to share with my brothers and sisters know more than the prescribing doctor at a clinic? It's just a little bit crazy. If there had been some kind of weird overdose without explanation, would she have ever arrived at this as a possibility? Who knows.

I don't like trashing the entire profession, so I'm not. However, anyone with a brain and eyes can easily surmise that the prescribing of drugs in the Western World is controlled by complete idiots, beholden to the whims of the larger pharmaceuitical/medical industry. Prescribe Oxycontin to men, women and children? Sure. What? That was wrong? Okay, now nobody gets any Opiates for any reason. Wait, that's not working? Okay, let's try the middle ground and see how that treats us.

It's profoundly unscientific in the guise of an exact science.