• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos My doctor pulled me of valium, 10-15mg a day for 6 months as of today, wtf do I even do?

BourbonMac

Bluelighter
Like really, is there anything I can take to prevent withdrawal? I'm scared. It's not been 48 hours yet and that's the half life, and I do have some kava capsules but I don't think that will get me through this, I don't even have that many. I just can't see how this isn't malpractice. And yeah, I have gabapentin as well, but that doesn't do anything to me because I've been taking it for almost 2 years at 600mg a day. I'm not trying to run my whole script out dealing with this shit. So frustrated

A lot of Dr.s are coming to the realization that benzos are short term therapy. I know people don't agree..........and they certainly don't like it...........but many Dr.s feel that 3 months is the max. Benzos were meant to get people through short term crisis ( death of a loved one, divorce, emotional upsets, and to be in conjuction with opioids for pain after an injury ) and they were never intended for long term use.

The Dr's gave them to people month after month ( long after the crisis was over ( and injury ) and they did more harm than good. Throwing scripts at people was a great way to get patients off their back and out of the exam room so they could go to the next door and knock. " I'm coming in with my script pad so you will be gone in 3 minutes tops so that next door will put major $$$ in my pocket. many of them operated like that. And they got people dependent and basically where you are at now.

The dark net is an option. Kratom is an option. I mean you have options but nothing will really replace the valium without going on the web and getting RC's. All you can do is a quick taper and when the pills are gone monitor yourself for seizures. The ER close to you will give you a few when you are in crisis but it will be a one time thing.

I know some people feel like benzos are for life ( and if you can get the right Dr. they may agree ) but many are just prescribing for 90 days only and if you still need them after that they are switching to other things like buspar, hydroxyzine and frickin' seroquel.

Good luck........I hope you find a solution.

@Nurse Ratched

is 15mg really dependent nurse ?

6 months hmm should be yucky for a week or so and no seizures slight sleep loss and a little anxiety.

thats like three tablets yes ?

people take that stuff by the bottle then do over servos here.

I would not be so worried about it it will get better if you follow your doctors advice.

its not mall practice and why would you want to go to the law if you take drugs ?

I would be more worried about the being on a cocktail and then wanting to take more drugs on top.

If he is to stay taking meds there going to rotate him anyway and he is going to have to get used to stopping and starting.

6 months is more than enough to become dependent on 15 mgs per day.

And I suppose if they want to take them by the bottle " over there " that is your Country's Dr's problem.

Don't think he mentioned anything about suing anyone .........just more upset by that fact that he got suddenly yanked off without a taper.

Here it's the nice thing to do ( taper ) but Dr's don't give a shit and just say no more for you. Goodbye.

fair enough I used to take a lot of valium thats all :)

I could never taper the stuff it was all or nothing.

as for sueing your right but mal practice ? at 15mg why that would even cross someones mind im not sure.

Last edited:
I do understand you wish to help everyone with advice to soften the blow but sometimes a hard blow is exactly what is needed.

we call them a wake up call and if they are early on in the users life they can save lives.

another way to look at is.

this persons doctor was nice enough to let them have 3 vals a day for 6 months

when they finally say I cant keep doing this the person asks on a forum if its mal practice.

sounds like a lovely thing to do.

we all know this shit is addictive and as op has said they are not a kid so they must be responsible for them selves.

doesnt seem it to me.

Last edited:
A lot of Dr.s are coming to the realization that benzos are short term therapy. I know people don't agree..........and they certainly don't like it...........but many Dr.s feel that 3 months is the max. Benzos were meant to get people through short term crisis ( death of a loved one, divorce, emotional upsets, and to be in conjuction with opioids for pain after an injury ) and they were never intended for long term use.

The Dr's gave them to people month after month ( long after the crisis was over ( and injury ) and they did more harm than good. Throwing scripts at people was a great way to get patients off their back and out of the exam room so they could go to the next door and knock. " I'm coming in with my script pad so you will be gone in 3 minutes tops so that next door will put major $$$ in my pocket. many of them operated like that. And they got people dependent and basically where you are at now.

The dark net is an option. Kratom is an option. I mean you have options but nothing will really replace the valium without going on the web and getting RC's. All you can do is a quick taper and when the pills are gone monitor yourself for seizures. The ER close to you will give you a few when you are in crisis but it will be a one time thing.

I know some people feel like benzos are for life ( and if you can get the right Dr. they may agree ) but many are just prescribing for 90 days only and if you still need them after that they are switching to other things like buspar, hydroxyzine and frickin' seroquel.

Good luck........I hope you find a solution.
Thank you. I know it will be some time before I feel withdrawal, probably. The gabapentin might help me out here the most. I suppose phenibut is also an option. I've never taken it, but there's plenty of good websites with it. Apparently it is pretty addicting and feels similar to benzos. If I feel I reach a point where I'm truly suffering then I might give it a try. At the moment gabapentin has been getting me by, and melatonin. Maybe the withdrawal won't be quite as bad as I think, it's really hard to say, I've never been through it before.

And LonelyDude, please leave me alone, lol... If I was a drug seeker I would turn to the streets, but I won't, and I would have made up excuses to raise my dose much higher. I admit having some addictive tendencies but you're going off what, the fact that I wanted to try MDMA once when there's no harmful interaction between a drug that I already quit? Like I'd said I'm a fast metabolizer. And even if I was a regular one, it will be out of my system. Let's talk celexa just for reference. It has a 36 hour half life, but 99% of it is out of your system in 7 days. Ami has a 24 hour half life. It will have been minimum 6 days since my last dose of Ami.

You're generally just being rude at this point.

Pulling people off medications that can cause seizures cold turkey isn't what I'd call not malpractice, but who am I to judge. I made this post in a fit of anxiety, wanting to vent some and get some input, not be written walls of text basically insulting me. So yeah, enjoy being put on ignore.

Malpractice happens all the time and you can't do much about it in the US unfortunately. I don't know how it is outside. I was a victim to it with recent sinus surgery which resulted in very problematic recovery which I'm still experiencing. I've had half of the people I know tell me to lawyer up, I have nothing to lose, while others say there's no point. Like my mother who got a botched back surgery in the 90s, she wasn't able to sue even though it genuinely ruined her life. But she always felt powerless due to a horrible upbringing. She said you need to have proof they were trying to harm you, and I know my surgeon wasn't. But not telling me I was getting 3 more surgeries until the morning of was a dick move, and me not getting pre-op until 2 days before was even worse. If I'd had even 5 days that would've been enough to stop taking aspirin so I wouldn't have bled so severely. It's ultimately the department in general that failed here.

And yeah Nurse, I was more upset that this happened with no warning. He was very cooperative with me until this point and we talked about tapering down with 2mg capsules. But he thinks with the gabapentin I likely won't need to. Maybe he's right, I can only find out. But I do have kratom, plenty of it.

Edit: Truth is I don't think he knows I was taking up to 3 a night. I'm sure he had some idea because I was usually needing a refill a day early, my insurance allows that. He knows I was at least taking 2. But as my tolerance went up I took 12.5, then I was up to 15. Maybe I'll just tell him that and see if he thinks tapering is the right move.

Dude doctors make money by forcing unnecessary consults. He is wanting you to 'try' going cold turkey and when that inevitably doesn't work oh look you have to visit him again. And on the books he is doing it all correct and bring ethical.

I would say if you follow the bullshit path he has laid you will get a script to help taper you off but you need to be a few days deep past wherever your script was supposed to get you to before he would probably consider it.

Yeah... I'm still doing alright, it's been about 72 hours, so there's probably like 3mg of Valium in me right now. But since doses add up I assume it could take a week to feel withdrawal. Or maybe the Gabapentin is really hiding it. Weeds been helping me with the anxiety a lot

Diazepam seemed to be to easiest benzo to stop for myself and a few others I have known over time

I quit a 3 + yr 30 × 10 mg
a month with little discomfort
you can too

Thank you. I know it will be some time before I feel withdrawal, probably. The gabapentin might help me out here the most. I suppose phenibut is also an option. I've never taken it, but there's plenty of good websites with it. Apparently it is pretty addicting and feels similar to benzos. If I feel I reach a point where I'm truly suffering then I might give it a try. At the moment gabapentin has been getting me by, and melatonin. Maybe the withdrawal won't be quite as bad as I think, it's really hard to say, I've never been through it before.

And LonelyDude, please leave me alone, lol... If I was a drug seeker I would turn to the streets, but I won't, and I would have made up excuses to raise my dose much higher. I admit having some addictive tendencies but you're going off what, the fact that I wanted to try MDMA once when there's no harmful interaction between a drug that I already quit? Like I'd said I'm a fast metabolizer. And even if I was a regular one, it will be out of my system. Let's talk celexa just for reference. It has a 36 hour half life, but 99% of it is out of your system in 7 days. Ami has a 24 hour half life. It will have been minimum 6 days since my last dose of Ami.

You're generally just being rude at this point.
Your welcome and good luck with the phenibut if you decide to try it. Knowing it's addictive is the first step and you already know that. Google baclofen and it will give you a real good idea about how phenibut will react in your body. They are pretty identical. I came real close to ordering some a year ago but people on here talked me out of it as I hear it's common to compulsively re-dose.

Last edited:
know some people feel like benzos are for life ( and if you can get the right Dr. they may agree ) but many are just prescribing for 90 days only and if you still need them after that they are switching to other things like buspar, hydroxyzine and frickin' seroquel.
Seroquel?
that's straight spirit poison, it's disgusting, even to see someone who use that...
buspar seems much better

then there's interesting natural options:
magnolia bark extract, scutellaria lateriflora, l-theanine, ashwagandha, calamus is very centering/anxyolitic too
I've heard good things about kankerbos (sutherlandia frutescens).

Seroquel?
that's straight spirit poison, it's disgusting, even to see someone who use that...
buspar seems much better

magnolia bark extract, scutellaria lateriflora, l-theanine, ashwagandha, calamus is very centering/anxyolitic too
Yeah.........I agree about the seroquel. Many of my friends got switched to it when their Dr.s took them off benzos. I was like why? They weren't psychotic.........they were anxious and panicky. Seroquel became the go to because it causes drowsiness. So yeah........to me drowsy and calm are two different animals. Drowsy is the feeling like you can't stay awake and that's fine if you are trying to go to sleep. But calm is different. It creates a peace of mind and a relaxation that is what they need ......hence getting a benzo.

Seroquel is prescribed way too much in the US off label simply for the fact that it causes drowsiness. Same with hydroxyzine. It's a anti-histamine and causes drowsiness but it's just not the same as a benzo. Dr's got all weird when the opioid crisis started and now getting anything controlled is like pulling teeth. Case in point........I broke two ribs last year falling down on the ice. I tried to deal with it but it was so painful and I couldn't sleep at all. Finally went to ER, got an X-ray and the dirtbag scripted me ibuprofen. I was like cmon man.....Ive been taking ibuprofen like candy for 3 days and it's not helping. Went over his head to the desk there in ER where they all congregate and asked them if they thought it was practical to send me home with ibuprofen. They didn't and told the Dr. that he was taking this crisis shit way to far and to at least give me some Tylenol 3 with codeine. He did ( get this he gave me 10 tablets ) but at least I got a few days of relief.

Like really, is there anything I can take to prevent withdrawal? I'm scared. It's not been 48 hours yet and that's the half life, and I do have some kava capsules but I don't think that will get me through this, I don't even have that many. I just can't see how this isn't malpractice. And yeah, I have gabapentin as well, but that doesn't do anything to me because I've been taking it for almost 2 years at 600mg a day. I'm not trying to run my whole script out dealing with this shit. So frustrated
Kava capsules will never be any good. It's a dud sell.

Real Kava would likely help, correctly prepared.

Seroquel?
buspar seems much better

Mulungu bark as well.

Kava might be something to try. With nine concentrated powder, you might need like 15 to 20 to 25 g though.

As far as prescriptions, baclofen or gabapentin or pregabalin might be something that a doctor could give you.

If worse comes to worse, alcohol affects gaba too, albeit admittedly alcohol is never as fun or pleasant as benzos. In a way it could make it worse but it might stop you from seizing. so at the very least you could use a low tolerable dose to take the edge off although I don't know if it will even touch it at that high of a dose per day.

You're probably going to have to go to the ER.

Mulungu bark as well.
Mulungu bark properly prepared did feel like 15 mgs of diazepam and hit quick. I used it to come down off of psychs from 2006-2010 before etizolam hit the scene. A little harder to source but a worthy suggestion. In the years to come I think a drug will become of it once it is studied more. Nature probably has a lot of things that are similar to some synthetics.

Hey Mac how about a comment from someone who does not know shit about benzo use like me. I feel like you will be fine. I mean all I have is book knowledge. But from what I read a lot of people that had problems popped things day and night. (i know not all of them, I did read someone having issues coming off .5 alprazolam a night for 6 months) But for some reason I feel like the mental part will be the worst for you. This past week I had to take etizolam 1 mg 3 nights in a row to sleep with this sciatica episode I had. And I do get paranoid. I never do that but it is a med to use like that at times. But I also know it takes work to get addicted to benzos. You started that work but are at a point where that can change.

I don't want to say it but it took me all of 30 minutes to find places domestically that will sell RC benzos and get them out quick. They will rake you over the coals in price but hey they perform a service. I recommend trying to go without anything. Or a natural replacement. You are at a good place. Feel good about that.