View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

MXE for Depression?

phuckingnutz

Bluelighter
I recently bought a couple grams MXE and liked it fine. However my GF who has suffered with debilitating depression most of her life noticed that her depression was almost non-existent while doing MXE.

My question is, has anyone on BL used MXE on an extended basis for depression and, if so, what were the downsides and such.
I'm thinking about buying several grams and dosing her on a regular basis. I'm thinking IM?...? IDK.
Any help will be appreciated.

i used mxe a lot over a relatively long period of time, and i am a very depressed individual

it might relieve depression while you are under the drugs influence, but it does nothing to treat or fix the problem

in fact in my experience it worsens depression if anything, there are plenty of reports of people in the mxe megathread who with extended daily use ended up becoming really manic and scattered. IM is really overboard unless you are a poly drug addict or a mature and experienced drug user (administering only to yourself), i did IM mxe a few times when my tolerance got to the point it took 150mg plugging to feel i could get close to holeing. it becomes impossible to hole after about 5 times, at least for me.

does your GF see a therapist? is she on medication?

does your GF see a therapist? is she on medication?

No and No...she's taken Wellbutrin in the past and it turned her into an insufferable bitch and she's also taken SSRI's, but no help there either.
I'm thinking like 15-20 mg once or twice a day, but this is only in the planning stages now and may not go any further...that's why the thread.
The "big and Dandy" threads are so big as to be useless if you want to pinpoint a specific thing...unless you want to read through miles of crap to find the one thing you're looking for.

well i think your heart might be in the right place wanting to see your girlfriends suffering relieved through any means possible, but daily mxe use just isn't going to achieve that, but ill let someone else add to that intuition with some evidence.

has she tried doing 30mins cardio exercise 5 times a week? cutting out wheat/gluten from her diet? eating only whole foods? breathing exercises? meditation? CBT?

drug use of any nature has always amplified my anxiety and depression (in the big picture)

effect of regular exercise, diet, mindfulness activities on depression can't be overstated, sry if you dnt want to hear any of this, just figured id add my 2c on depression alleviators (at least in my case)

Yeah, I know that I'm looking for the "quick fix" and as far as the other suggestions go, we are trying to implement them, and as a matter of fact, we went to the gym today.
Your other suggestions are all good ones, isn't "mindfulness" similar to CBT? If so, I have a book called CBT for dummies and can maybe locate it. I know that CBT works as I've used it to a small degree for some intrusive thought issues.
We are trying to get all these things together and the MXE was going to be another cog and not the whole machine.
Again, thanks for your input, it IS appreciated.
Anything you know to help depression will be gladly heard and probably tried as she is VERY despondent and has battled with depression most of her life.
So if you want to toss in the whole dollar instead of 2c, go for it...we need the "money".

Last edited:
"the places that scare you" is an audiobook by a buddhist nun called pema chodron. i dl'ed it for free from pbay

it completely changed the way i view negative emotions and taught me ways to work through how i react to them. i listen to it every time i get stuck in a rut in my life and it always brings me out of it.

its philosophy is that all our thoughts and emotions arise from a universal energy which we label as 'good' or 'bad', but in its raw form it is just energy arising. by attaching a judgement onto an emotion, it leads to us wallowing in those feelings going over and over it in our head. by realising that it is the act of running away from that feeling and the aversion to it is what causes 90% of the suffering we endure. you start to realise that you can be freed from those patterns of behaviour by learning to sit with and abide with difficult feelings/thoughts/emotions that come up. a good way to think of approaching that is picturing your despair or guilt or shame, as a baby which you are cradling in your arms with love and kindness. depression has so much to teach us, it's soo deep, there are so many facets to human suffering, its liberating to explore the root causes of it with a childlike curiosity.

i'm pretty bad at describing those concepts, but i think if your gf listened to pema's insights, it would surely help her in a fundamental way. don't be put off by this wisdom coming from a buddhist teacher, it is applicable to all humans from all walks of life.

CBT is western psychologies equivalent to mindfulness. mindfulness is the practice of staying grounded in the reality of each moment, through focusing the mind.

its very useful for her to come to terms with her thoughts and work through them in a positive way. i often find long walks in parks to give me time to organise my thoughts and give some insight into my worries, same goes for running in the evening and going swimming at the local pool.

yes it is the best thing i have ever had for it. it's no cure.

i would advise once a week 'high' dose session to be okay for one year, with added small dosing in the week. 2 or 3 times. 10ish mg dose if needed. one year is pushing it though. i've been told not to abuse this drug.
oral is great RoA
worked fine for me. just make sure that you have good MXE.

Thank you^I was wondering if I should use spaced high doses like they do with ketamine...or so I've read.

the dosing schedule used for antidepressant effect of ketamine is small threshold doses over an hour or so. i don't think they use high doses

Threads like these make me want to finish my book about MXE/dissociatives in general (I've been researching 3-meo-pcp as well with good results) which includes healthy section on potential uses for depression and dealing with all those tangled complexes in the mind that bring people down. Short answer is yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel regarding MXE and depression.

yes it is the best thing i have ever had for it. it's no cure.

i would advise once a week 'high' dose session to be okay for one year, with added small dosing in the week. 2 or 3 times. 10ish mg dose if needed. one year is pushing it though. i've been told not to abuse this drug.
oral is great RoA
worked fine for me. just make sure that you have good MXE.

Thank you^I was wondering if I should use spaced high doses like they do with ketamine...or so I've read.

I'm not saying you will have better results for depression of you use high(er) doses. i only used it recreationally, i can handle my mood-swings fine without drugs people don't notice too much. (i don't think, lol)

MXE just had a side-effect where it gave me a bit more well-being in general. and took away the emptiness feeling. you might have better results if used in very low doses and least as possible if you want this to be any thing long-term. once again, it is no cure - but it is a slightly risky bet

1 to 3 'sessions' per week for one year, with breaks, was ok for me.

Threads like these make me want to finish my book about MXE/dissociatives in general (I've been researching 3-meo-pcp as well with good results) which includes healthy section on potential uses for depression and dealing with all those tangled complexes in the mind that bring people down. Short answer is yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel regarding MXE and depression.

Do it. I would love to read it. i also want to try pcp, 3 or 4-meo. i think i have tried one of them one time, when told it was MXE but lasted 8 hours strongly. so it was something. it had zero euphoria so it was strange substance

Last edited:
actually i will say this: you don't need to dose high but LOW - 5mg to 10mg for the anti-depressant effects.

Allthough MXE may have potential AD properties, self medicating with it, not knowing exact dosages to take, how often tc. would be dangrous...

the experiments regarding ketamine and deprssion seem to have given some promissing leads, but not enough is known about MXE i think for this to be safe.

Allthough MXE may have potential AD properties, self medicating with it, not knowing exact dosages to take, how often tc. would be dangrous...

the experiments regarding ketamine and deprssion seem to have given some promissing leads, but not enough is known about MXE i think for this to be safe.

I agree, but when suicide is constantly looming as an option for her...we're at the nothing to lose stage...sad but true.

the dosing schedule used for antidepressant effect of ketamine is small threshold doses over an hour or so. i don't think they use high doses

Thank you Sekio...you're correct, low doses infused over an hour or so...IV?...article didn't say.
We are grasping at straws here as she has been burnt too many times by "big brained know-it-all" therapists, which is a shame because there are probably some good ones out there, but we weren't lucky enough to find one.
Again, I DO know that dosing with an experimental drug is not the optimal therapy, but ALL drugs at some point were experimental, and we are to the "nothing to lose" phase of this illness.
So, again, thanks to everyone for the info given as well as that to be given...it all helps.

I've used ketamine to treat depression and I entered a horrible cycle of abuse (several grams per day) and came out feeling COMPLETELY hopeless about my current state.
I couldn't eat, socialize, had bad stomach pain, and my head felt completely empty with no intelligent thought flowing through it.
Dissociative abuse can be very ugly and the use of dissociatives for depression treatment is still very new and generally seen to be a short term remedy, also the doses are lower than when used recreationally.
My stance on using drugs for depression treatment is that it should be left in the hands of trained individuals, and even then should be a last resort after exercises such as cognitive behavioural therapy have been tried already.

it is like having a cold shower in opiate withdrawl. just gives a bit of releif for a few hours or longer and longer. it is no cure.

i was told not to abuse it. treat with respect.

It's not a very good idea IMO. Mxe can help while your high on it and for a couple of days afterwards but the more you use the weaker it'll become and the hangovers will start and get worse the more you use.
You'll start using more to achieve the same results. Once you do quit to it takes a while to get back to your normal self and you'll still be depressed or even more depressed than before the mxe.

Iv noticed with extended use mxe will affect your speech and reactions times big time, takes a little while to recover. That at least what I experienced. It's best to go about it a different way imo.

2-3 sessions a month wouldn't hurt though.

I've struggled with depression from time to time, and I found that MXE lifted the depression significantly for a few days after use.
I wouldn't dare trying a daily regimen with MXE out of respect for the many horror stories I've read about where that could lead, but dosing every other week or so doesn't seem like too bad an idea in my opinion.

I tried Ketamine for the first time not long ago and found the anti-depressant after effects of that to be more pronounced and longer lasting.
A second session since then gave the same result, and I feel better than ever. I intend to try dosing ketamine once a week for a while and see if it holds up.
The potential for introspection while under the influence also seems a lot better on K than on MXE.

And of course, don't forget exercise and attention to diet.